Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Post Reply
User avatar
SmallFarm
captain of 1,000
Posts: 4643
Location: Holbrook, Az
Contact:

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by SmallFarm »

Question: What is the test of mortality? :-?

User avatar
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 8044
Location: Pf, Texas

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by ajax »

Fiannan wrote:
ajax wrote:
BrotherOfMahonri wrote: ...the constant judgement the adversary is good at whispering to all around us... "they don't have Barbies or watch Disney"
...and I hope you aren't too hard on those of us who play with Barbie and watch Disney.
Know what the Barbie doll is based on???

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... istory.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So I'm playing with it correctly.
Fiannan wrote:Oh well, not as weird as the reason Kellogg developed his famous cereal.
Fascinating.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/32042/co ... on-crusade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps I should eat corn flakes before playing with Barbie?

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4951

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Obrien »

BrotherOfMahonri wrote: ...the constant judgement the adversary is good at whispering to all around us... "they don't have Barbies or watch Disney"
ajax wrote:...and I hope you aren't too hard on those of us who play with Barbie and watch Disney.
Obrien wrote:If you're playing Barbie's, I will continue to wear tasseled loafers with abandon.
jbalm wrote:You own shoes?

(By the way, your super long post was pretty good. ) Thanks. I'm such a poor typist it took about 2 hours over the last day to fashion. You just liked the ending.
Great question, especially based on our real life interactions.
I do own a couple of pairs, that I wear for 3 hours and 20 minutes on Sunday mornings. One pair has tassels. They are cute. When I bought them, the receipt called them "corporate slippers". LMAO at that one.

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4951

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Obrien »

SmallFarm wrote:Question: What is the test of mortality? :-?
To see who can write the longest post...duh.

User avatar
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 8044
Location: Pf, Texas

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by ajax »

Nice posts Obrien and Speedracer. The language of 132 regarding women and their feelings and the consequences on children and families is vastly different than Jacob 2, almost as if one was written by an arch-polygamist himself.

User avatar
sandman45
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1562

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by sandman45 »

BrotherOfMahonri wrote:The Holy Spirit has been upon me for some time as I have pondered, studied out, and prayed sincerely about this topic, and I now prophesy in the workings of the Holy Spirit in my heart and the common sense he has given me to understand truth by the Holy Spirit, even the blessing of the potential to know the truth of all things, that Joseph Smith never practiced polygamy, and the LDS Church will renounce such historical untruths, false affidavits, etc. of him having ever established and practiced polygamy in the not too distant future, which will bring upon the church a blessing that has been withheld because of this unbelief.

The LDS Church will state that polygamy was never practiced by the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith Jr., clearing the good name of the man who has done more for our salvation save the Savior himself, and showing to the world in effect, Satan has more power upon the hearts and minds of the people than we realize or give thought towards - as he has stuck his foot into the restoration and due to man's weakness has succeeded in promulgating the false history of Joseph's supposed polygamy.

Praise God that he reveals his truths to babes and to those who think not that they are learned, wise, and scholarly.
If this does happen then section 132 will be removed out of the D&C or it will have a bunch of changes to remove the patriarchal marriage stuff. Sounds like history gets changed a lot just like the comic books...i think its called.. retcon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity

User avatar
SmallFarm
captain of 1,000
Posts: 4643
Location: Holbrook, Az
Contact:

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by SmallFarm »

Obrien wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:Question: What is the test of mortality? :-?
To see who can write the longest post...duh.
I would surely fail then, no? :p

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1751

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

caddis wrote:
BrotherOfMahonri wrote:
shadow wrote:Another new and false doctrine thread. If you don't like what the church teaches (132) then just claim it's made up. Then demand more proof. Toss out the bible while you're at it.

Faith, interesting that it appears your brother ditched his siblings while he left the church. My sister did the same thing. She left the church in a big and bold way and now refuses to communicate with any of us except occasionally my mom. That was her demand. satan is laughing at how he's destroying families. That's the fruit thereof.
This seems like a typical knee jerk reaction without love, But a rash and shallow assumption.

No wonder family distances themselves from such loving siblings. Selfish is what this is. It has little to do with a lack of tolerance on out part Or love, but the constant judgement the adversary is good at whispering to all around us, "look at them, they think they are better than you" "They home school" "they don't have Barbies or watch Disney" "they are to good for us" "they are so self righteous" "they don't accept you for who you are, they judge you because of their standards" "They think their way is better" all heaped at us without so much as saying a word or for simply existing and doing as the Lord leads us to do as a family unit.

Exhausting spiritually and temporally, esp if one truly is child like in their loving concern for so many accusations against them, always repenting to show you do care (at the request of the aggressor) even when no repentance or apology was needed, only to find again and again it deepens the other party's assumed offences towards them and you are told to rep t for anything you say, do, or have become.

After experiencing such passive aggression, and finally realizing what it is, it is like all the suddenly being freed from a dark cave you thought you were in because you loved the people around you so much, only to realize that love was not accepted and won't ever be until you know thyself in Gods eyes, not the eyes of those comparing themsleve selves to you.

We don't fit the norm then all the sudden we are judge mental and all around us play Martyrs, emotionally manipulating us to feel we are t blame for all hurt, pains, relationship issues.

One day this will all be seen, and then comprehension will about and loving heartfelt repentance will follow with forgiveness, but for now it is an emotional vernal constant abuse at the hands of family and many TBMs.
BoM,

I can totally relate to your post except I was the TBM in the situation. I had a sister leave the church about 7 years ago. I held her decision to leave the church and her political persuasion against her. Then, one day last spring, out of the blue, the Lord completely changed my heart and mind. He showed me the error of my ways and I haven't been the same person since. Even my wife wonders at times what has happened to the "old me". I am no longer the TBM I once was. With the Lords help I began to recognize the false traditions that had been ingrained in me since my youth.

For the first time in years, we spent this past Christmas together as a family (my parents, siblings and their families). It was probably the most meaningful Christmas I've had in a very long time.

Hang in there! The Lord loves all of us the same, no matter what church we do or don't attend.
You have no idea maybe what it's like to hear this. Thank you. Would to God that all TBMs and Christians at that understood the gospel they preach to the degree you just shared. Love and long suffering,Stincelli and kindness. Thank you.

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4951

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Obrien »

SmallFarm wrote:
Obrien wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:Question: What is the test of mortality? :-?
To see who can write the longest post...duh.
I would surely fail then, no? :p
Yes. You're on the fringes of outer darkness. ;)

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1751

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

ajax wrote:
BrotherOfMahonri wrote: ...the constant judgement the adversary is good at whispering to all around us... "they don't have Barbies or watch Disney"
...and I hope you aren't too hard on those of us who play with Barbie and watch Disney.
:D not me being hard on anyone - but you ;) being hard on yourself (the adversary adding his input) because you learn by your own asking us and our carefully sharing our reasons (explaining to the world why we are not normal and act like every one else it seems) that we don't do the Barbie or Disney stuff. (Not picking on you, but using "you" in context of whomever feels judged by Us For simply being a light that is different than what most TBMs demand we be, a light people do recognize and ask us about upon being in our home, lives or otherwise.)

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10542
Location: St. George

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by shadow »

So who was the guy who started the thread on how bad disney is? Who started the judging thing? Who always starts the judging threads (like this one)? Oh, Jared, there you are!
Anthony and I are sharing a mirror that Obrien gave us since he wasn't using it. I'll give you my piece. I'll clean it up real good, don't mind the cracks.

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4951

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Obrien »

caddis wrote:
BrotherOfMahonri wrote:
shadow wrote:Another new and false doctrine thread. If you don't like what the church teaches (132) then just claim it's made up. Then demand more proof. Toss out the bible while you're at it.

Faith, interesting that it appears your brother ditched his siblings while he left the church. My sister did the same thing. She left the church in a big and bold way and now refuses to communicate with any of us except occasionally my mom. That was her demand. satan is laughing at how he's destroying families. That's the fruit thereof.
This seems like a typical knee jerk reaction without love, But a rash and shallow assumption.

No wonder family distances themselves from such loving siblings. Selfish is what this is. It has little to do with a lack of tolerance on out part Or love, but the constant judgement the adversary is good at whispering to all around us, "look at them, they think they are better than you" "They home school" "they don't have Barbies or watch Disney" "they are to good for us" "they are so self righteous" "they don't accept you for who you are, they judge you because of their standards" "They think their way is better" all heaped at us without so much as saying a word or for simply existing and doing as the Lord leads us to do as a family unit.

Exhausting spiritually and temporally, esp if one truly is child like in their loving concern for so many accusations against them, always repenting to show you do care (at the request of the aggressor) even when no repentance or apology was needed, only to find again and again it deepens the other party's assumed offences towards them and you are told to rep t for anything you say, do, or have become.

After experiencing such passive aggression, and finally realizing what it is, it is like all the suddenly being freed from a dark cave you thought you were in because you loved the people around you so much, only to realize that love was not accepted and won't ever be until you know thyself in Gods eyes, not the eyes of those comparing themsleve selves to you.

We don't fit the norm then all the sudden we are judge mental and all around us play Martyrs, emotionally manipulating us to feel we are t blame for all hurt, pains, relationship issues.

One day this will all be seen, and then comprehension will about and loving heartfelt repentance will follow with forgiveness, but for now it is an emotional vernal constant abuse at the hands of family and many TBMs.
BoM,

I can totally relate to your post except I was the TBM in the situation. I had a sister leave the church about 7 years ago. I held her decision to leave the church and her political persuasion against her. Then, one day last spring, out of the blue, the Lord completely changed my heart and mind. He showed me the error of my ways and I haven't been the same person since. Even my wife wonders at times what has happened to the "old me". I am no longer the TBM I once was. With the Lords help I began to recognize the false traditions that had been ingrained in me since my youth.

For the first time in years, we spent this past Christmas together as a family (my parents, siblings and their families). It was probably the most meaningful Christmas I've had in a very long time.

Hang in there! The Lord loves all of us the same, no matter what church we do or don't attend.
Cool story, Caddis. I know almost EXACTLY what you mean. :)

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4951

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Obrien »

shadow wrote:So who was the guy who started the thread on how bad disney is? Who started the judging thing? Who always starts the judging threads (like this one)? Oh, Jared, there you are!
Anthony and I are sharing a mirror that Obrien gave us since he wasn't using it. I'll give you my piece. I'll clean it up real good, don't mind the cracks.
There are LOTS of judgmental threads and posts on the forum. It is an unfortunate side effect of being / being raised a MM.
(ps - don't get TOO fixated on self examination in the mirror - everything you see in a mirror is backward.)

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10542
Location: St. George

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by shadow »

I'm backwards either way.

User avatar
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 8044
Location: Pf, Texas

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by ajax »

Obrien wrote:(ps - don't get TOO fixated on self examination in the mirror - everything you see in a mirror is backward.)
As well as larger.

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10542
Location: St. George

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by shadow »

ajax wrote:
Obrien wrote:(ps - don't get TOO fixated on self examination in the mirror - everything you see in a mirror is backward.)
As well as larger.
As well as closer. Cue in some Meatloaf.

User avatar
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 13218
Location: The Universe - wherever that is.

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Thinker »

ajax wrote:
shadow wrote:Faith, interesting that it appears your brother ditched his siblings while he left the church. My sister did the same thing. She left the church in a big and bold way and now refuses to communicate with any of us except occasionally my mom. That was her demand. satan is laughing at how he's destroying families. That's the fruit thereof.
Maybe it's Jesus' fault (Luke 12:51-53)

Or maybe it's just the character flaws of all involved: sister feeling uncomfortable; nutter family religionists who make everybody feel like sh!t who aren't TBM, etc. Could be lots of dynamics. Some people who leave feel very very uncomfortable around these nutters who are always judging and are experts in passive aggression...
I could write a book about that - but I'll just let it suffice to tell you thank you for saying a part of what I was thinking, Ajax.

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4951

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Obrien »

SpeedRacer wrote:Sorry for the TL:DR post, but I put this together to explain the revelation I had. My revelation matches what BoM said here on this thread. I appreciate his courage in sharing. Two Witnesses.

... SpeedRacer writes lots of good stuff...
Nice post. I appreciate your efforts to put this info out there. "Thank button"
I have had no confirmation re: polygamy, but I can state categorically my WIFE has a strong opinion about it.

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10542
Location: St. George

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by shadow »

Thinker wrote:
ajax wrote:
shadow wrote:Faith, interesting that it appears your brother ditched his siblings while he left the church. My sister did the same thing. She left the church in a big and bold way and now refuses to communicate with any of us except occasionally my mom. That was her demand. satan is laughing at how he's destroying families. That's the fruit thereof.
Maybe it's Jesus' fault (Luke 12:51-53)

Or maybe it's just the character flaws of all involved: sister feeling uncomfortable; nutter family religionists who make everybody feel like sh!t who aren't TBM, etc. Could be lots of dynamics. Some people who leave feel very very uncomfortable around these nutters who are always judging and are experts in passive aggression...
I could write a book about that - but I'll just let it suffice to tell you thank you for saying a part of what I was thinking, Ajax.
I don't doubt LDS can be and many are passive aggressive. But in this case, based on written posts, Jared would the religious "nutter" .
It can go both ways. LDS don't have the rights to passive aggressiveness or judging.
My sister left the church and the family at the same time. None of us judged her, tho my other sister tried to help her see where she was headed. But even she was inactive for a time so she spoke more out of someone having been in her shoes. In fact, out of my six living siblings, only myself and one other brother have never been inactive. Of my parents, both RM's, my Dad left the church when I was in 5th grade. He and I haven't ever even really discussed his leaving the church. He doesn't judge me, I don't judge him. He supports me in my life, I support him in his. In my familys case, my sister is using projection to justify her choice. Nobody gave her a bad time for leaving the church, she gave us a bad time for being members of the church and having the morals we have.
In most cases that I'm familiar with, it's the person leaving the church who judges their family.
Projection happens. Not always but probably in a majority of cases. In fact, talking with an old friend not too long ago, he related how his brother (whom I know) left the family. He is gay, it's been known for decades. This was nothing new. His family didn't judge him, they kept in touch, had dinners, get together etc. life went on as it always had. Then the brother started being anti Mormon. Any time together was always marred by his negativity towards the church. Finally the Mom asked him to stop it. Then guess what?? He claimed his Mormon family rejected him because he was gay. Totally not what happened. But if he were to post on this site, I can guarantee you'd all be sympathizing with him claiming what an intolerant unchristlike family he had. Remember how so many here threw that Eliason guys wife under the bus for kicking him out of the house? Turned out he was the pig.

User avatar
SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1207
Location: Virginia, just outside of D.C.

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by SpeedRacer »

Obrien wrote:
Spoiler alert : in reading all this closely, I believe it is interesting, but that it has virtually nothing to do with our circumstances today. These words were written specifically for the Lehites (see V 25-26). I do not limit the Lord in requiring or forbidding anything He sees fit to prescribe or proscribe. Thus the necessity of living by the Spirit. It is all really hard to understand polygamy / polyandry / spiritual wifery / sealings / etc, especially with a boner.
I was with you until this. This book was written precisely for our day. Nephi saw us, knew who was going to get the small plates including Jacob and included them specifically because of what Brigham Young and company were going to pull with Polygamy.

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4951

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Obrien »

SpeedRacer wrote:
Obrien wrote:
Spoiler alert : in reading all this closely, I believe it is interesting, but that it has virtually nothing to do with our circumstances today. These words were written specifically for the Lehites (see V 25-26). I do not limit the Lord in requiring or forbidding anything He sees fit to prescribe or proscribe. Thus the necessity of living by the Spirit. It is all really hard to understand polygamy / polyandry / spiritual wifery / sealings / etc, especially with a boner.
I was with you until this. This book was written precisely for our day. Nephi saw us, knew who was going to get the small plates including Jacob and included them specifically because of what Brigham Young and company were going to pull with Polygamy.
It was a really long post for me, and I was fading...I have re-worked the end, and I think I agree with this one more, myself.

Spoiler alert : in reading all this closely, I believe it is interesting, but that the words were written specifically for the Lehites (see V 25-26). Because people and generations tend to recycle sins, the words could also apply to us, in our day. The 1 husband / 1 wife model is the way marriage was set up by the Lord, and it should be supported. Jacob 2 clearly supports this model. That said, I do not limit the Lord in requiring or forbidding anything He sees fit to prescribe or proscribe. Thus the necessity of living by the Spirit, and obtaining a witness of the correct path the follow.[/quote]

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1585

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by ebenezerarise »

BrotherOfMahonri wrote:
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Please, expound some, what gave you such an understanding? was it accepting tradition? Did you or have you ever taken it as one might the Book of Mormon, sincerely asking and seeking if it is true and of God? If so, what was the result?

Was it a witness of the Holy Ghost telling you?
Did the Lord's voice give you this clear revelation?

Please expound.
I've explained it many times.

Polygamy has been a real test in my marriage and in my faith. No, I've not practiced plural marriage but the whole idea has been a real stumbling block for both me and especially for my wife.

In fact, I'd call it a 30-year struggle of study, prayer and fasting.

For me, the witness did not come until I worked on some of my family history, where plural marriage is in abundance. Only after reading of the private journals of those called to it, who lived it, and the circumstances under which they were called to do yet another form of saving work did I receive my witness of it.

I hold fast that D&C 132 is scripture. I have a witness of it.

Could I practice it if called to do so?

I honestly cannot say that I could. It would be -- even still -- a trial for me, as it was for many.

Recognize that my world and your world today is NOT the same as it was for them. Without that "infamous practice" literally thousands of my family would not exist. When I take those generations away and see what certain parts of the world would be like without them I begin to understand the Lord's wisdom of the times.

The Lord has often been contrary in the course of history in his commands. Our test, our trial is to do his will. Would you, could you?

That's what my covenants in the Temple ask.

My faith is not perfect. And I indeed am NOT perfect. I am weak in so many ways. And I am grateful the Lord has not given me this command -- and many others that those in our scriptures have received. But that doesn't mean I don't have a witness of them.

I would exercise great caution in so liberally deciding what Joseph did and did not reveal. The evidence of plural marriage both as a principle and as a practice in his life and family is abundant. I would also add there that are many, many unpublished witnesses out there -- such as my ancestors -- who testified of the same (I certainly would NOT publish their journals outside my family -- the world just mocks what is sacred).

I hope your quest for understanding, confirmation and acceptance settles your heart on this matter.

User avatar
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 13218
Location: The Universe - wherever that is.

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by Thinker »

shadow wrote:I don't doubt LDS can be and many are passive aggressive. But in this case, based on written posts, Jared would the religious "nutter" .
It can go both ways. LDS don't have the rights to passive aggressiveness or judging.
My sister left the church and the family at the same time. None of us judged her, tho my other sister tried to help her see where she was headed. But even she was inactive for a time so she spoke more out of someone having been in her shoes. In fact, out of my six living siblings, only myself and one other brother have never been inactive. Of my parents, both RM's, my Dad left the church when I was in 5th grade. He and I haven't ever even really discussed his leaving the church. He doesn't judge me, I don't judge him. He supports me in my life, I support him in his. In my familys case, my sister is using projection to justify her choice. Nobody gave her a bad time for leaving the church, she gave us a bad time for being members of the church and having the morals we have.
In most cases that I'm familiar with, it's the person leaving the church who judges their family.
Projection happens. Not always but probably in a majority of cases. In fact, talking with an old friend not too long ago, he related how his brother (whom I know) left the family. He is gay, it's been known for decades. This was nothing new. His family didn't judge him, they kept in touch, had dinners, get together etc. life went on as it always had. Then the brother started being anti Mormon. Any time together was always marred by his negativity towards the church. Finally the Mom asked him to stop it. Then guess what?? He claimed his Mormon family rejected him because he was gay. Totally not what happened. But if he were to post on this site, I can guarantee you'd all be sympathizing with him claiming what an intolerant unchristlike family he had. Remember how so many here threw that Eliason guys wife under the bus for kicking him out of the house? Turned out he was the pig.
Shadow,
I think you have a pretty balanced perspective by realizing nuttiness is found inside and outside the church. Nuttiness known no limits. :D
And I've come across some people who think in terms of all-or-nothing (as church teaches), so when they stumble on faults of the church, they discard it all. And some hang on to anger as if it gives them a sense of rightiousness - when really they are continuing the cult-like mentality of "you must think like us to be acceptable" - just a different tribe.

It's not easy to take the narrow way - you get spit on from either sides, especially if you tend to speak bluntly as I do sometimes.
From anti-mormon liberals I've been harassed even personally threatened for defending children killed in abortion and defending traditional marriage.
From loyal mormon cult members, I've been hurt even more from close family ganging up on me, even my spouse initiating it - as if it is MY problem that the church finances are corrupt.
People would rather shoot the messenger than own up to being mistaken and correcting their ways.

In a way, church makes it easy to have connection - to unify people in group thought. But in a way, they make it hell when one person moves on belief-wise. Often all involved are under the evil inpression that to be worthy and counted in the "in crowd" in the church - all must unquestioningly think alike. So when one doesn't think alike, there is the false assumption they must part ways. Sad - especially when families are torn apart and a lot of suffering happens - all for false assumptions.

From a particular perspective, all religion could be considered symbolic parable/story - like Star Wars. How silly to break up relationships because one prefers a different story!

User avatar
SmallFarm
captain of 1,000
Posts: 4643
Location: Holbrook, Az
Contact:

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by SmallFarm »

SmallFarm wrote:Question: What is the test of mortality? :-?
And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

User avatar
oneClimbs
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3205
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Common Sense Prophecy: Polygamy will be renounced by the LDS Church

Post by oneClimbs »

Food for thought. D&C 84:54-57 says this:

"And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received—Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation. And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all. And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—"

So what were those former commandments? We need to learn about them and then DO according to that which was written. In other words, the commandments in the Book of Mormon still apply where they have not been explicitly rescinded. It would make sense for God to have a book written for us today and it actually apply to us now instead of contradicting new commandments. So with that, here's a former commandment:

Jacob 2:27,34: "Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;...And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done."

And in the same sermon (Jacob 3:5): "Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our father—that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none, and there should not be whoredoms committed among them."

It was not a suggestion or a policy, it was a commandment. There is no record of this commandment in the Book of Mormon save for Jacob's words, but I'll bet it was spelled out in the Book of Lehi that was unfortunately lost to us. This commandment was never rescinded and God never commanded it for any reason in history except for one place in time allegedly. Here is Brian and Linda Hales, authors of "Joseph Smith's Polygamy" making an astouning claim:

"Do we know that polygamy will ever be commanded again? In the 6000 years of religious history, the only adherents to be commanded were the Latter-day Saints between 1852 and 1890. Upon what basis does anyone assert that it will be commanded again?" Brian and Linda Hales, http://blog.fairmormon.org/wp-content/u ... fusion.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

D&C 84 was written in 1832, before any polygamy was going on. President Benson said we are still under condemnation, maybe it is because we still haven't paid attention to the Book of Mormon in this respect. I know, some might say, "Oh well polygamy isn't that important of a thing that God would hold people under condemnation."

Oh really? The Lord said "not only to SAY but to DO according to that which I have written [in the Book of Mormon]" and apparently the commandment to have only one wife (that the Lamanites were keeping) was the SOLE thing keeping them from destruction. I shared Jacob 3:5 above, here's the next verse:

"And now, this commandment they observe to keep; wherefore, because of this observance, in keeping this commandment, the Lord God will not destroy them, but will be merciful unto them; and one day they shall become a blessed people."

The word "commandment" is mentioned FOUR times in Jacob's sermon in relation to having one wife only. D&C 84 admonishes the modern church to "remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—"

This seems pretty clear to me, but that's my contribution to the discussion. The good news is that the modern church has mostly DONE according to the Book of Mormon commandment to have one wife but we still SAY a lot about it and support it verbally because we have to have perfect prophets. People make mistakes, even prophets. I don't know if they did or not, there's so much heresay and contradictions in the history that it is such a mess.

But what I've presented here seems to indicate that having only one wife is pretty darn important. Viewing church history through this lens explains a lot. It could explain Joseph's death, why the Lord didn't stand by and defend the Saints from getting driven and scattered and why the Church suffered so many difficulties until it shed itself from polygamy.

We no longer "do", but we still "say." Maybe we still need to completely purge ourself from this practice in order to truly "become a blessed people."
Last edited by oneClimbs on May 22nd, 2015, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply