Joseph Smith's Last Sermon

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Joseph Smith's Last Sermon

Post by A Random Phrase »

I was talking to a man about this today. He said it is not the King Follett discourse, but a different one. He said this sermon is where Joseph said something to the effect of, "I wish I could tell you what I know. I wish I could tell you who I am. If I did, there are men sitting on this stand who would kill me."

I did an internet search and could not find this sermon. There is, apparently, a book by that name, but I honestly don't think the sermon is book length.

I found a reference to something (it did not quote the sermon) that called it the King Follett sermon and said: Times and Seasons, 1 August 1844. A decade later, published as "Joseph Smith's Last Sermon" delivered at the April Conference 1844 in "The Zion's Watchman" 1855, Volume 1, Numbers 32-33:247-256

Does anyone know anything about this "last sermon" and where to find it/what it says (posting the sermon in this thread would be nice, if it is possible)? IS it the same as the King Follett sermon, and my friend was mistaken?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Joseph Smith's Last Sermon

Post by ajax »

I believe the Sermon in The Grove was his last sermon:
http://emp.byui.edu/jexj/courses/sermon ... _grove.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This quote of your friends is not contained in it.

The only one that seems to come close is the following as recalled by PPP:

"Brethren, if I were to tell you all I know of the kingdom of God, I do know that you would rise up and kill me." Brigham arose and said, "Don't tell me anything that I can't bear, for I don't want to apostatize." (As recalled by Parley P. Pratt in MS 55 (September 4, 1893): 585.)

In the King Follet he said this:
"You don't know me; you never knew my heart. No man knows my history. I cannot tell it: I shall never undertake it. I don't blame any one for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I would not have believed it myself. I never did harm any man since I was born in the world. My voice is always for peace.

I cannot lie down until all my work is finished. I never think any evil, nor do anything to the harm of my fellow-man. When I am called by the trump of the archangel and weighed in the balance, you will all know me then. I add no more. God bless you all. Amen."

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Is the quote, perhaps you can find a different source now with the phrase. I think hugh nibley even talks about it.

“You don’t know me; you never knew my heart. No man knows my history. I cannot tell it; I shall never undertake it. I don’t blame anyone for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I could not have believed it myself.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr, sermon on April 7, 1844, Nauvoo, cited in No Man Knows My History, by Fawn Brodie

There are probably other source (I took this from mormonthink so I have not verified this source)

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

TZONE wrote:Is the quote, perhaps you can find a different source now with the phrase. I think hugh nibley even talks about it.

“You don’t know me; you never knew my heart. No man knows my history. I cannot tell it; I shall never undertake it. I don’t blame anyone for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I could not have believed it myself.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr, sermon on April 7, 1844, Nauvoo, cited in No Man Knows My History, by Fawn Brodie

There are probably other source (I took this from mormonthink so I have not verified this source)
These statements could very well be about the First Vision and his subsequent visions, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is a lot of other weird stuff we don't know about.

As for the remark that others might kill him, it may be that it was just too much for the Brethren to conceive of at that time.

shestalou
captain of 100

Post by shestalou »

Is it in the Journal of Discources? :) :)

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Here is the King Follett sermon online:
https://byustudies.byu.edu/PDFViewer.as ... ab8432.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The quote mentioned above is on p. 19.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Thanks for your help, everyone

Shestalou, I looked in the JofD just now and did not find it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ajax wrote:"Brethren, if I were to tell you all I know of the kingdom of God, I do know that you would rise up and kill me." Brigham arose and said, "Don't tell me anything that I can't bear, for I don't want to apostatize." (As recalled by Parley P. Pratt in MS 55 (September 4, 1893): 585.)
Ajax, it sounds like your quote is probably the source of my friend's quote.

BringerOfJoy wrote:Here is the King Follett sermon online:
https://byustudies.byu.edu/PDFViewer.as ... ab8432.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The quote mentioned above is on p. 19.
You don’t know me—you never will. You never knew my heart. No
man knows my history. I cannot do it. I shall never undertake it. I don't blame you for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I could not have believed it myself.
King Follet Discourse
BoJ, I am quoting this just to remind myself of which quote is in that reference.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I did a search today and found this, but I did not find an original source.
If I revealed all that has been made known to me, scarcely a man on this stand would stay with me. and Brethren, if I were to tell you all I know of the kingdom of God, I do know that you would rise up and kill me. From here
I think this is the quote my friend was thinking of.