School Shooting in FL/WA/GA/MI/MD/YouTube/TX

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

School Shooting in FL/WA/GA/MI/MD/YouTube/TX

Post by iWriteStuff »

2 Dead, over a dozen taken to hospital already.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/flori ... index.html

Thoughts?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: School Shooting in FL

Post by iWriteStuff »

Update: 15 declared dead now.

Yikes people. What have we done to our children?

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

How do we even prevent this? I don't see how it can be stopped. Society will continue to degrade. If someone decides they want to do this, they'll do it. Gun Control won't prevent it. Metal detectors only help so much. It's sad, terrible. Makes me feel sick every time i read these stories.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Stahura wrote: February 14th, 2018, 5:07 pm How do we even prevent this? I don't see how it can be stopped. Society will continue to degrade. If someone decides they want to do this, they'll do it. Gun Control won't prevent it. Metal detectors only help so much. It's sad, terrible. Makes me feel sick every time i read these stories.
Update: 17 reported dead now. :(

Gun control won't stop it. Supposedly this kid used an AR-15, which by law he had no right to possess.

Gun Free Zones = Target Rich Environment.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Stahura wrote: February 14th, 2018, 5:07 pm How do we even prevent this? I don't see how it can be stopped. Society will continue to degrade. If someone decides they want to do this, they'll do it. Gun Control won't prevent it. Metal detectors only help so much. It's sad, terrible. Makes me feel sick every time i read these stories.
To stop this, return to Righteousness. Remember when the Lamanites rounded up Gaddiantons, threw them in jail, and preached the gospel to them until they became converted and repented? That's how we stop school shootings and other modern evils.

Of course we don't have the legal authority to do this in our current system and we won't be able to gain that authority as the world becomes more evil, therefore we don't have anything we can really do to stop these incidents.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

homeschool

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

This kind of thing is very sad. It's especially sad when you think how people need other people to live. We need families and people in our families. Those people are necessary for eternal progression.

Unfortunately this and the wars and rumors of wars mark the events in the scriptures that will come to pass as the destructions before the return of our Lord. These events mark that some people have reached the point where they've chosen good or evil and the threshing of the wheat is starting to occur.

Threshing of wheat was also in a very recent Ensign theme and article just a few months ago.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

We as a people as a nation have neglected our children’s education and pass it onto the corrupt school systems and media. The problems we face are directly correlated to that systems education.

Taking responsibility for our own children’s education is the only solution.
At the forefront of that education needs to be morality and mental health and how to communicate.

The lds community does a better job at this then most. But it’s no where near the level that it should be.

Read jack monett Book
Revealed educational principles
A history of public education.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

iWriteStuff wrote: February 14th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Gun control won't stop it. Supposedly this kid used an AR-15, which by law he had no right to possess.

An 18 yr old can legally purchase long guns. He possesed it legally.

A kid orphaned as a teenager in today’s society will have serious problems. Does he act out because there are no repercussions in today’s world? Having no guidence, had he completely lost the light of Christ?

No answers just questions and sadness.
Last edited by DesertWonderer2 on February 15th, 2018, 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

One of the 17 killed was a Mia Maid. Very sad.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

I would love to see more armed people in schools. Roll back all the gun control laws and let people protect themselves.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I just read this, this morning after mostly only having hearsay yesterday about it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43071710

This is very disturbing. There were dozens of red flags by this guy that he was going to do what he did. The authorities were alerted ahead of time, he'd threatened people. He'd brought bullets to school before. The FBI was told in no uncertain terms he wants to be a pro school shooter. It seems like teachers knew that he was going to do something too; he had a no backpack rule so they could see if he was a danger.

Yet authorities didn't act on him.

The FBI people should be charged as murder accomplices. This is ridiculous. He was still allowed to commit harm with that many warnings to authorities all claiming excuses on why he did what he did. How many red flags and warnings do you need before you will do your job? If you can have this many red flags, and warnings, and someone actually telling you he admitted his plan openly ahead of time and you do nothing...there's not even a point to having an FBI.

They were too busy spending their time to chase Trump too.

If you can't stop something like this with that many warnings, how can you catch anyone at all?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

DesertWonderer2 wrote: February 15th, 2018, 8:32 am

An 18 yr old can legally purchase long guns. He posses it legally.

A kid orphaned as a teenager in today’s society will have serious problems. Does he act out becausr there r no reprocussions in today’s world? Havingno guidence, had he completely list the light of Christ?

No answers just questions and sadness.
Being 18 you can purchase long guns, sure. However, an individual with a known history of mental illness, public threats of violence, and who has been investigated and reported to the FBI should not have the same "rights". I say this as a firearms instructor and long time gun enthusiast.

But if we're going to arm the homicidal mentally ill element and say, "oops, that's the price of freedom" when they kill 17 innocent kids, then I guess we chalk this one up as another down payment on our Second Amendment rights. : :roll: Seriously, this was not "the blood of patriots and tyrants". These were kids killed by a homicidal maniac that was allowed to purchase smoke grenades and military firearms.

Personally, I think it should not have been allowed to get this far. His family should have taken care of this long before it came to this. Yes, I know his parents died and he passed on to another family member's care. But SOMEONE at SOME point should have dealt with it. His illness and violent tendencies were not even slightly concealed.

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

gardener4life wrote: February 15th, 2018, 9:18 am If you can't stop something like this with that many warnings, how can you catch anyone at all?
I don't fully blame law enforcement or the FBI, and it's hard to know how many of these things have actually been prevented and avoided. Maybe he just slipped through the cracks, but I agree with you here. My feeling is if they couldn't protect people from this guy, why would we think they could protect us from anyone.

It's sad, but I think we have to have the mentality that it's only a matter of time before we personally have to endure a horrific experience like this, and thus prepare accordingly.

I feel horrible for all the victims and their families, but I'll openly admit to being a respecter of persons. It hurts much more when people from your own community are hurt in a tragedy, so it just kills me to hear a Mia Maid was killed.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

https://www.infowars.com/video-second-s ... -massacre/

Eyewitness Alexa Miednik, who believes there was a second shooter, said she was WALKING with accused suspect Nikolas Cruz (who the media previous spelled as Nicolas) after she heard shots being fired – and told Cruz she was glad “it wasn’t him” who was doing the shooting at the school in Florida:
…As I was going down the stairs I heard a couple of shots fired, everyone was freaking out – there was a gun, and as we were walking – the whole class together – I actually was speaking to the “suspect” [she even did air quotes] and as I was speaking with him, he seemed very… I don’t know what the word is I want to say… but he was very troubled in middle school and I joked to him about it and said “I’m surprised you weren’t the one who did it.”

We just spoke with a former student, Alexa Miednik, she actually walked down the hall with the accused shooter, Nicholas Cruz, after she heard shots fired. She said, “Hey, Nicholas,” – this is what she told me on camera… – “Hey, I just heard shots fired and I’m surprised it wasn’t you. Just kidding.” He had the reaction “What?” and then they parted ways.
She said “I heard more shots after that.” She thinks there was a second shooter.
Already the real story behind the shooting is starting to break wide open, just like the Las Vegas massacre in which the media failed to cover up eyewitness accounts – and video – of multiple shooters:

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

[/quote]

Being 18 you can purchase long guns, sure. However, an individual with a known history of mental illness, public threats of violence, and who has been investigated and reported to the FBI should not have the same "rights". I say this as a firearms instructor and long time gun enthusiast.

[/quote]

Couldn't put it any better than what you said here. I'm not an expert on this but as you described would be great. I don't know how close it is to achieving that though?

In some states there's a law where if 3 people that know a person personally act together they can have someone mentally ill confined or restricted I think too. But I don't think very many have started something like this yet, and not entirely sure how it would work.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

statistically speaking, as far as violence around the world is concerned, we aren't significantly worse off than we were 20-30 years ago. The difference is that the common people are more aware of and exposed to acts of violence via the internet.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

There are in our society persons not permitted to buy guns, convicted felons, those with certain mental illness issues and so on.

Now everytime you buy a gun your supposed to be asked for your ID. Would it not be reasonable to have the IDs of persons not legally permitted to own firearms be marked with that indication in somewhat the same way as a person under 21 has his ID marked so that he can not buy alcohol?

Sure nothing is going to stop every act of this kind but this might help in some small way and does not infringe upon the liberties of legal gun buyers.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

gardener4life wrote: February 15th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Couldn't put it any better than what you said here. I'm not an expert on this but as you described would be great. I don't know how close it is to achieving that though?

In some states there's a law where if 3 people that know a person personally act together they can have someone mentally ill confined or restricted I think too. But I don't think very many have started something like this yet, and not entirely sure how it would work.
Here's a good example of how the system works currently.

True Story: I have a few firearms instructor friends who also own and manage a firing range near Denver, CO. A few years back they had a screwy guy attend their range and acting all kinds of crazy and unstable. They kicked him off the range and reported him to local law enforcement. His name was James Holmes. Law enforcement didn't follow up, and he went on to shoot up the Aurora Theater, killing 12 people and injuring 70 others, including my next door neighbor's daughter (she had the misfortune to catch a smoke grenade in her lap before it went off).

I think the gun community could help police its own if it had a more active role in it and IF law enforcement would actually follow up on reports of unstable people wielding guns or making threats. I have a few thoughts on how that could work but it takes a willing audience first. Personally, I think congress doesn't care and nothing will change no matter what happens or how many people get killed.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

"Nearly every mass shooting incident in the last twenty years, and multiple other instances of suicide and isolated shootings all share one thing in common, and its not the weapons used.

The overwhelming evidence points to the signal largest common factor in all of these incidents is the fact that all of the perpetrators were either actively taking powerful psychotropic drugs or had been at some point in the immediate past before they committed their crimes."

https://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/every- ... z57D2jW6qj

Considering Utah's #1 in the nation for anti-depressants (which have nasty side effects) and high rates of pain-killer abuse, this is something that is not just about "those guys over there."

There are 2 main issues I have felt a moral obligation to give warning about: financial and cognitive distortions... Here's a long list viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21159&p=256839&hili ... ns#p256839 - you can see many of them are pretty common, but can really hurt people, drive them to drugs which mess them up even more.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Thinker wrote: February 15th, 2018, 1:14 pm "Nearly every mass shooting incident in the last twenty years, and multiple other instances of suicide and isolated shootings all share one thing in common, and its not the weapons used.

The overwhelming evidence points to the signal largest common factor in all of these incidents is the fact that all of the perpetrators were either actively taking powerful psychotropic drugs or had been at some point in the immediate past before they committed their crimes."

Considering Utah's #1 in the nation for anti-depressants (which have nasty side effects) and high rates of pain-killer abuse, this is something that is not just about "those guys over there."

There are 2 main issues I have felt a moral obligation to give warning about: financial and cognitive distortions... Here's a long list viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21159&p=256839&hili ... ns#p256839 - you can see many of them are pretty common, but can really hurt people, drive them to drugs which mess them up even more.
I agree, and it's been shown in shootings (though the MSM has been quiet in almost every case). But, there's something even BIGGER and more important: all the big ones have been "false flag" operations.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

JohnnyL wrote: February 15th, 2018, 1:33 pm
Thinker wrote: February 15th, 2018, 1:14 pm "Nearly every mass shooting incident in the last twenty years, and multiple other instances of suicide and isolated shootings all share one thing in common, and its not the weapons used.

I agree, and it's been shown in shootings (though the MSM has been quiet in almost every case). But, there's something even BIGGER and more important: all the big ones have been "false flag" operations.
Yeah, it's sad that the solution (screening people on any type of mind-altering drugs better) is being ignored and many are trying to essentially suggest guns are the problem, not the gunner. Is that what you mean by, "false flag" operations?

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

How do we even prevent this? I don't see how it can be stopped. Society will continue to degrade. If someone decides they want to do this, they'll do it. Gun Control won't prevent it. Metal detectors only help so much. It's sad, terrible. Makes me feel sick every time i read

But if we're going to arm the homicidal mentally ill element and say, "oops, that's the price of freedom" when they kill 17 innocent kids, then I guess we chalk this one up as another down payment on our Second Amendment rights. : :roll: Seriously, this was not "the blood of patriots and tyrants". These were kids killed by a homicidal maniac that was allowed to purchase smoke grenades and military firearms.

Personally, I think it should not have been allowed to get this far. His family should have taken care of this long before it came to this. Yes, I know his parents died and he passed on to another family member's care. But SOMEONE at SOME point should have dealt with it. His illness and violent tendencies were not even slightly concealed.
A “gun instructor” that thinks an AR15 is a military firearm??? Hmmm...

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

If there were a causality netween the meds and mass shootings then using your statistics UT should have the most mass shootings and they have had none. It’s not the drugs; it’s the underlying mental health issue.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Has it not occurred to anybody else that continuation of such shootings as these are desired by the powers in America who very much wish to persuade lots more Americans that total gun prohibition is the only way to go. There are, I am sure, elements in our society quite capable of finding patsies with emotional and/or mental problems and "programming" them to go out and kill people. I am very suspicious that this is happening.

And BTW, SLC had an attempted mass shooting in 2006 or 2007 at the Trolley Square mall.