What would you do

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: What would you do

Post by Arenera »

Robin Hood wrote: December 8th, 2017, 9:54 am
Arenera wrote: December 8th, 2017, 9:47 am
Robin Hood wrote: December 8th, 2017, 12:10 am
Arenera wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:04 am What did Jesus say to those who wanted to stone the woman caught in the very act of adultery?

You might be a Bishop, or a Relief Society President, it doesn't matter. You sin everyday. A little sin or a big sin still keeps a person out of the presence of God.
Apples and oranges mate.
No one is suggesting we should execute these people.
You still have problems...
Not really... I'm not Jesus.
He's the physician, not me.

I Corinthians 5:11
Can’t get out of it...

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Arenera wrote: December 8th, 2017, 10:13 am
Robin Hood wrote: December 8th, 2017, 9:54 am

Apples and oranges mate.
Not really... I'm not Jesus.
He's the physician, not me.

I Corinthians 5:11
Can’t get out of it...

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Do you know what wresting the scriptures is?
I suggest you read the 6 verses you missed out in order to get some context.
And while you're at it read Psalm 119:115.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Arenera wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:04 am What did Jesus say to those who wanted to stone the woman caught in the very act of adultery?
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
You might be a Bishop, or a Relief Society President, it doesn't matter. You sin everyday. A little sin or a big sin still keeps a person out of the presence of God.
Apples and oranges mate.

16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
If they came and stayed at your home, would you do what Jesus did, "I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Rand wrote: December 8th, 2017, 11:30 am

Apples and oranges mate.

16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
If they came and stayed at your home, would you do what Jesus did, "I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."?
While Jesus gave the law, he represents mercy and love. What are the great commandments?

How would you want to be treated?

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Arenera wrote: December 8th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Apples and oranges mate.

While Jesus gave the law, he represents mercy and love. What are the great commandments?

I guess it depends on how you see Christ manifesting his mission in life.
I would want to have the Gospel and its principles correctly taught to me.
If I were behaving in a way that offended the Spirit, undermined God's kingdom, or harmed some other person by helping them commit sin, I would hope He would call me to repentance and that I would comply.

If he just treated me nicely, and allowed me to walk in a path contrary to his Gospel path, and made sure I knew I was loved as I found my way to the great and spacious building, I would be offended.

I don't want a participation award. I don't want everyone pacifying my need to be accepted on this earth. I want to do all I can to honor God, to honor the Savior and His atoning sacrifice, and to build His Kingdom by seeking to keep my covenants.

I would never hate my child because they struggled. I would never reject them. But, I would also never allow their confusion or waywardness to dilute what is true. And a powerful truth is that we carry the sins of others if we do not warn, teach and invite to come unto Christ. But, we will not be condemned for doing those things in love.
The person being called to repentance might not think it is love, as in Laman, Lemuel, etc. But their feelings, while engaged in sin, are not going to guide my choices nor behavior. Nephi never enabled them in sin. Neither should we with our loved ones or children. .

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Rand wrote: December 8th, 2017, 5:28 pm

I guess it depends on how you see Christ manifesting his mission in life.
I would want to have the Gospel and its principles correctly taught to me.
If I were behaving in a way that offended the Spirit, undermined God's kingdom, or harmed some other person by helping them commit sin, I would hope He would call me to repentance and that I would comply.

If he just treated me nicely, and allowed me to walk in a path contrary to his Gospel path, and made sure I knew I was loved as I found my way to the great and spacious building, I would be offended.

I don't want a participation award. I don't want everyone pacifying my need to be accepted on this earth. I want to do all I can to honor God, to honor the Savior and His atoning sacrifice, and to build His Kingdom by seeking to keep my covenants.

I would never hate my child because they struggled. I would never reject them. But, I would also never allow their confusion or waywardness to dilute what is true. And a powerful truth is that we carry the sins of others if we do not warn, teach and invite to come unto Christ. But, we will not be condemned for doing those things in love.
The person being called to repentance might not think it is love, as in Laman, Lemuel, etc. But their feelings, while engaged in sin, are not going to guide my choices nor behavior. Nephi never enabled them in sin. Neither should we with our loved ones or children. .
The Jews fell trap to 613 rules. How many rules do you have going?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Apples and oranges mate.

I want to be called to repentance. In fact I have been called to repentance, and have answered the call.
If I had kids in this situation, I would indeed treat them as I would want to be treated, that is not enabled in my sin, but called to repentance. Period.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Yes, then what did he do with the adulterer? Invite her over for dinner, and offer her a room to spend the night, with her lover? No. He said go forth and sin no more. What do you think go means?
dc

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

For everyone here using the reason they won't allow their homosexual children in their home is because of the sanctity and sacredness of their home where commandments will be kept...keep the commandments themselves? Refrain from contention (being as it's from the devil)? Serve one another without expecting it back etc?

It just makes me wonder if the issue is more a distain for gays specifically, rather than a distain for breaking commandments.

If your husband or wife broke the commandments, would they not be allowed in the home anymore? Example, word of wisdom. Would you kick your wife out...would you remove yourself or allow your wife to kick you out?

I know that no one is perfect so I have a hard time believing that your home has always been sacred...to who ever uses this stance.

I would love my child and continue to show my love - openly to him or her. Life choices do not affect the fact that they are still human beings and children of God. Love doesn't equal accepting what they are doing...or Christ wouldnt love very many of us.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Homosexuality is a grievious sin and Lucifers greatest triumph, and cannot be compared as attempted in above post.
MMbelieve wrote: December 8th, 2017, 8:08 pm For everyone here using the reason they won't allow their homosexual children in their home is because of the sanctity and sacredness of their home where commandments will be kept...keep the commandments themselves? Refrain from contention (being as it's from the devil)? Serve one another without expecting it back etc?

It just makes me wonder if the issue is more a distain for gays specifically, rather than a distain for breaking commandments.

If your husband or wife broke the commandments, would they not be allowed in the home anymore? Example, word of wisdom. Would you kick your wife out...would you remove yourself or allow your wife to kick you out?

I know that no one is perfect so I have a hard time believing that your home has always been sacred...to who ever uses this stance.

I would love my child and continue to show my love - openly to him or her. Life choices do not affect the fact that they are still human beings and children of God. Love doesn't equal accepting what they are doing...or Christ wouldnt love very many of us.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Elizabeth wrote: December 8th, 2017, 8:52 pm Homosexuality is a grievious sin and Lucifers greatest triumph, and cannot be compared as attempted in above post.
MMbelieve wrote: December 8th, 2017, 8:08 pm For everyone here using the reason they won't allow their homosexual children in their home is because of the sanctity and sacredness of their home where commandments will be kept...keep the commandments themselves? Refrain from contention (being as it's from the devil)? Serve one another without expecting it back etc?

Thank God there is Christ!

18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Arenera wrote: December 8th, 2017, 9:04 pm
Elizabeth wrote: December 8th, 2017, 8:52 pm Homosexuality is a grievious sin and Lucifers greatest triumph, and cannot be compared as attempted in above post.

Thank God there is Christ!

18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
Just as is? Or is there some important requirement first?
dc

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

MMbelieve wrote: December 8th, 2017, 8:08 pm " they won't allow their homosexual children in their home"
This was never the question or situation. It was: "If you had a son or daughter who was gay and they a married someone of the same sex and they wanted to come home for a family gathering would you allow them to stay overnight in the same room or would you ask them to sleep in separate rooms while in your home? "

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Ask if they’ve considered electroshock therapy. :evil:

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I think it depends on the person. Some people have not only made it a choice but act as ambassadors for their demons. Others are dealing with demons but are seeking freedom from them with all their heart. So, it depends on the heart of the person. If they come with the desire to hurt others by spreading evil that should not be allowed. But if they come seeking light and desiring to be healed of their darkness they should be allowed and ministered unto. You have to use the gift of discernment. Some people, no matter how loving they are in their words, are out to hurt and destroy others. Don't let in snakes and rabied animals but do minister to the meek and pure of heart. Many are lost because they never knew or saw the light, and we have an obligation to help those people if it is what they desire.

Jesus doesn't heal and bring everyone to the light. He only brings those to healing and life who truly desire it with their hearts and ask in humility, confessing their sin. He does have boundaries. He doesn't allow evil spirits into heaven. If He did, heaven would be hell.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Rand wrote: December 8th, 2017, 9:42 pm
MMbelieve wrote: December 8th, 2017, 8:08 pm " they won't allow their homosexual children in their home"
This was never the question or situation. It was: "If you had a son or daughter who was gay and they a married someone of the same sex and they wanted to come home for a family gathering would you allow them to stay overnight in the same room or would you ask them to sleep in separate rooms while in your home? "
Yes, that was the original question. I was referring to some of the OP responses.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Yes, sexual sins are more severe than word of wisdom issues. I do understand that.

Let's use a sexual sin then, say your husband is using pornography (or wife) would you demand he/she leave the home to not desecrate it with the vile filth?

Again, I am asking this to the ones who have replied about their home being a sacred place where they wouldnt allow their gay child to enter it.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

What would you do... if you switched cliques and your new click put down anyone who questioned homosexuality. And if you didn’t call them names like “homophobe, bigot or hater” then they would suspect you of it.

What would you do? Join in the name-calling, ignore the name-calling or defend who is being bullied?

I ask because I’ve seen this happen. Members of the church left the church over homosexuality issues and then ganged up on anyone who doesn’t think as they do & hypocritically call people who don’t think as they do, “bigots” and other personal attacks.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

MMbelieve wrote: December 8th, 2017, 10:39 pm
Yes, that was the original question. I was referring to some of the OP responses.
I am pretty sure no one intended to say they would not allow their child who choose to be gay into their home. The question was would you let them bring their partner into your home to stay in a bedroom together, or would you ask them to sleep in separate bedrooms.
There is no condemning of those who feel they are gay. There is no condemning of the sinner. It is a question of would you take measures to protect the spirit of your home?
I think you are jousting with windmills.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Rand wrote: December 9th, 2017, 8:11 am
I am pretty sure no one intended to say they would not allow their child who choose to be gay into their home. The question was would you let them bring their partner into your home to stay in a bedroom together, or would you ask them to sleep in separate bedrooms.
There is no condemning of those who feel they are gay. There is no condemning of the sinner. It is a question of would you take measures to protect the spirit of your home?
There was a comment about not even accepting the said gay child into the church building.

Never heard that jousting with windmills line before...interesting

Ratbag
captain of 100

Post by Ratbag »

Meili wrote: December 6th, 2017, 6:45 am The Lord allows his children to lead a homosexual lifestyle, supporting them as he does every other of his children. I would do the same with mine. I would do everything I could to love who they love and allow them to live as they believe is right. I would say nothing about homosexuality until my child came to me asking questions and seeking answers and then I would continue to be sensitive of their beliefs, putting my relationship with my child first before everything else so that I could always be there for them as they tried to figure out their life. Every one of us sins. How would I want to be treated by others who are aware of my sins?
Just one thing. God won't allow them into his home. They'll go somewhere else.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

MMbelieve wrote: December 8th, 2017, 10:44 pm Let's use a sexual sin then, say your husband is using pornography (or wife) would you demand he/she leave the home to not desecrate it with the vile filth?

Again, I am asking this to the ones who have replied about their home being a sacred place where they wouldnt allow their gay child to enter it.
I would allow a gay child to enter my home, but not share a bedroom with a partner just as I would not allow a straight unmarried child to share a bedroom with a partner.

Regarding porn, I would insist that anybody caught using porn not do so in my house. I would go further and insist that cell phones, tablets, and computers remain in common rooms so they can't have an opportunity to bring up adult entertainment websites in my home.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

MMbelieve wrote: December 9th, 2017, 9:19 am
Rand wrote: December 9th, 2017, 8:11 am

There was a comment about not even accepting the said gay child into the church building.

Never heard that jousting with windmills line before...interesting
That one person may feel that way. I am quite sure not many if any others on the board feel that way. Just trying to clarify to reduce any contention that need not exist.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

And what did He say after the crowd dispersed? Was it:

"...go, and sin no more."

or was it

"Okay, Betty, back on your back."

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Finrock wrote: December 7th, 2017, 2:53 pm Everybody who is participating in this thread is a hopeless sinner who is not worthy of any kingdom of glory.
Another thing I am is the master of my house. I can set rules for what is allowed and what isn't.