What would you do

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Re: What would you do

Post by drtanner »

Robin Hood wrote: December 7th, 2017, 5:51 am
drtanner wrote: December 5th, 2017, 7:19 pm If you had a son or daughter who was gay and they a married someone of the same sex and they wanted to come home for a family gathering would you allow them to stay overnight in the same room or would you ask them to sleep in separate rooms while in your home?

We had an interesting conversation about this recently which included a member of our ward who has a gay brother and they asked him and his partner to sleep in separate rooms while visiting. I was surprised at the different opinions and wanted to see what the forum had to say.
They wouldn't be allowed to stay in my house.
Should they be allowed in a church building?

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

drtanner wrote: December 5th, 2017, 7:19 pm If you had a son or daughter who was gay and they a married someone of the same sex and they wanted to come home for a family gathering would you allow them to stay overnight in the same room or would you ask them to sleep in separate rooms while in your home?

We had an interesting conversation about this recently which included a member of our ward who has a gay brother and they asked him and his partner to sleep in separate rooms while visiting. I was surprised at the different opinions and wanted to see what the forum had to say.
Also are you saying period, or overnight?

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

In a fallen, "Telestial" realm where our "initial" exposure to Diety is through the "light of Christ," our conscience - and in recognition that such a realm is host to murderers, adulterers and thieves - it would seem appropriate that God's emissarial construct of an organization, viz a viz - a Church and a meeting place be an adequate introduction to "possibilities" for betterment. It is only through exposure to the Holy Ghost that we begin our ascent in the Spiritual Realm. He is the first member of the Godhead with whom, by gaining association, we start the journey in overcoming spiritual death and separation.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

No, we would not allow them to stay overnight in the same room. Just like when my brother and his live-in girlfriend came for a visit last month - we did not allow them to sleep in the same room in our house. Just like when my sister and her live-in boyfriend came to visit last summer - we did not allow them to sleep in the same room in our house. Since to God there is no allowable or condoned same-sex sexual activity (whether the State or society calls them "married" or not), a gay relative or child would not be allowed to sleep with their partner in the same room in our house either.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

drtanner wrote: December 7th, 2017, 5:59 am

Period.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

What did Jesus say to those who wanted to stone the woman caught in the very act of adultery?
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
You might be a Bishop, or a Relief Society President, it doesn't matter. You sin everyday. A little sin or a big sin still keeps a person out of the presence of God.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Robin Hood wrote: December 7th, 2017, 8:50 am

Period.
Would you welcome them in your ward building or ask them to leave?

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Period.
Ok so they are never welcome in your home if they are together. If either of them were without the other partner would you allow them in your home?
Last edited by drtanner on December 7th, 2017, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Have we accepted 2 unwed heterosexual couples living together as ok?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

drtanner wrote: December 7th, 2017, 10:47 am

Period.
Ok so them are never welcome in your home if they are together. If either of them were without the other partner would you allow them in your home?
My son would be able to come to the house on his own.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

drtanner wrote: December 7th, 2017, 10:45 am

Period.
Would you welcome them in your ward building?
No

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

Meili wrote: December 6th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Gage wrote: December 6th, 2017, 8:37 am
Meili wrote: December 6th, 2017, 6:45 am The Lord allows his children to lead a homosexual lifestyle, supporting them as he does every other of his children. I would do the same with mine. I would do everything I could to love who they love and allow them to live as they believe is right. I would say nothing about homosexuality until my child came to me asking questions and seeking answers and then I would continue to be sensitive of their beliefs, putting my relationship with my child first before everything else so that I could always be there for them as they tried to figure out their life. Every one of us sins. How would I want to be treated by others who are aware of my sins?

Are you implying that the Lord supports homosexuality?
Homosexuality, rape, murder, theft, torture . . . He allows us to use our free agency and continues to support humanity even as they commit the most grotesque crimes. He gives sunshine, rain, air, and earth to everyone. I wouldn't say he is supporting homosexuality but he is supporting homosexuals. And he doesn't even make them sleep in different rooms.
As was asked by BruceRGilbert's comment. Would God even allow homosexuality in His house? It's not allowed in the temple for sure... There is a huge difference between allowing people their agency to sin and "supporting" them in their sin. I think it's odd that you think because God allows sunshine and the weather that he is supporting homosexuals.

You can love and not allow or support homosexuality in your home.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Robin Hood wrote: December 7th, 2017, 11:32 am

Period.
Ok so them are never welcome in your home if they are together. If either of them were without the other partner would you allow them in your home?
Would you be willing to meet them both for dinner at a restaurant away from your home?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Everybody who is participating in this thread is a hopeless sinner who is not worthy of any kingdom of glory. Only by God condescending to interact with you, unworthy creatures, are you able to ever be in the presence of Deity or get to know Deity in any way. It isn't your goodness that saves you. Its God's mercy and grace. It is silly to think that you are morally superior to any person in any way.

-Finrock

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

drtanner wrote: December 7th, 2017, 2:32 pm
Robin Hood wrote: December 7th, 2017, 11:32 am

Period.
Would you be willing to meet them both for dinner at a restaurant away from your home?
Absolutely not.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

bbsion wrote: December 7th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Meili wrote: December 6th, 2017, 6:45 am The Lord allows his children to lead a homosexual lifestyle, supporting them as he does every other of his children. I would do the same with mine. I would do everything I could to love who they love and allow them to live as they believe is right. I would say nothing about homosexuality until my child came to me asking questions and seeking answers and then I would continue to be sensitive of their beliefs, putting my relationship with my child first before everything else so that I could always be there for them as they tried to figure out their life. Every one of us sins. How would I want to be treated by others who are aware of my sins?

Homosexuality, rape, murder, theft, torture . . . He allows us to use our free agency and continues to support humanity even as they commit the most grotesque crimes. He gives sunshine, rain, air, and earth to everyone. I wouldn't say he is supporting homosexuality but he is supporting homosexuals. And he doesn't even make them sleep in different rooms.
As was asked by BruceRGilbert's comment. Would God even allow homosexuality in His house? It's not allowed in the temple for sure... There is a huge difference between allowing people their agency to sin and "supporting" them in their sin. I think it's odd that you think because God allows sunshine and the weather that he is supporting homosexuals.

You can love and not allow or support homosexuality in your home.
For me the distinction would be between letting a homosexual in my house and letting one in my bed. Anyone who treats me and my family with respect is welcome into my home. But I won't be going to bed with a lesbian, no matter how much I love her.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

In the next life, if they do not repent, He will not let them in HIs house. He will not let them sleep together. It is a choice for us now. He will allow us our agency now, but later, in the next stage, we receive the consequences of that agency.
Would you enable their ability to sin, and to bring that sin into your home, with a tacit acceptance of it?
You can love your children while not allowing them to do what ever they want.
Last edited by Rand on December 8th, 2017, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Rand wrote: December 7th, 2017, 6:12 pm

In the next life, if they do not repent, He will not let them in HIs house. He will not let them sleep together. It is a choice for us now. He will allow us our agency now, but later, in the next stage, we receive the consequences of that agency.
Would you enable their ability to sin, and to bring that sin into your home, with a tacit acceptance of it?
You can love your children while not allowing the to do what ever they want.
I don't know what will take place in the next life. I don't know if the homosexuals will be disallowed in the Lord's house there or not. All I know is what this life offers us.

The choices many here on this thread have made as their chosen course of action are ones I know of myself bring frustration, bitterness, and anger, among other things. The course I have chosen is one I know brings hope, joy, and peace.

I don't know about homosexuality in the next life but there is a passage in the Book of Mormon that I strongly believe is true. It says the spirit that possesses a man in this life will possess him in the next. To me, the fruits of either frustration or peace, bitterness or joy, anger or hope, are the fruits of the spirit that is within each of us. Those feelings are produced by whatever spirit we have invited into our souls and fostered there, either the Spirit of the Lord or the dark spirits that roam the earth. I believe that those spirits and those feelings will be a part of our existence after this life.

But either way, even if I'm wrong and the Lord throws out all the homosexuals and possibly throws me out too for having the audacity not to try to stop them from doing what they choose, at least in this life I've found peace. That really makes it all worth it, as far as I'm concerned.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Joshua already answered this one, and I'll take his position:

"...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

I would welcome family into my home but I would not allow my home to be a place where God's commandments are openly mocked.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Finrock wrote: December 7th, 2017, 2:53 pm Everybody who is participating in this thread is a hopeless sinner who is not worthy of any kingdom of glory. Only by God condescending to interact with you, unworthy creatures, are you able to ever be in the presence of Deity or get to know Deity in any way. It isn't your goodness that saves you. Its God's mercy and grace. It is silly to think that you are morally superior to any person in any way.

-Finrock
Did any one claim to be "morally superior to any person in any way"?
Please point out where this has occured on this thread.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Arenera wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:04 am What did Jesus say to those who wanted to stone the woman caught in the very act of adultery?
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
You might be a Bishop, or a Relief Society President, it doesn't matter. You sin everyday. A little sin or a big sin still keeps a person out of the presence of God.
Apples and oranges mate.
No one is suggesting we should execute these people.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Finrock wrote: December 7th, 2017, 2:53 pm Everybody who is participating in this thread is a hopeless sinner who is not worthy of any kingdom of glory. Only by God condescending to interact with you, unworthy creatures, are you able to ever be in the presence of Deity or get to know Deity in any way. It isn't your goodness that saves you. Its God's mercy and grace. It is silly to think that you are morally superior to any person in any way.

-Finrock
2 Ne 9:40 O, my beloved brethren, give ear to my words. Remember the greatness of the Holy One of Israel. Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken."

Did Jacob think he was morally superior? Do you think you are morally superior?
What you state is absolutely true about the Savior and our fallen state. But, perhaps you are using a spatula as a hammer.
Besides, we are talking about opinions. People have the right to choose what they would choose. It is also a hypothetical. I suspect in most situations, what they did in reality would be different than what they are saying here.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Robin Hood wrote: December 8th, 2017, 12:10 am
Arenera wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:04 am What did Jesus say to those who wanted to stone the woman caught in the very act of adultery?
Apples and oranges mate.
You still have problems...

16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Arenera wrote: December 8th, 2017, 9:47 am
Robin Hood wrote: December 8th, 2017, 12:10 am
Apples and oranges mate.
You still have problems...
Not really... I'm not Jesus.
He's the physician, not me.

I Corinthians 5:11

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Period.
I would let my child stay overnight but not his or her partner at all. I've taught my children respect and a love for the gospel, and I have taught them that their decisions and actions within the walls of our home affects our home's sanctity. So, if they went this far out of bounds, I'm sure they wouldn't even think to ask if their partner could stay overnight.