What do you make of this message?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

What do you make of this message?

Post by Fiannan »

I don't want to put my interpretation onto this article but I would expect something like this from a liberal/feminist site, but for The Deseret news? Read the first three paragraphs and tell me what TDN seems to be saying.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... -504522541

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: What do you make of this message?

Post by inho »

I think that was a quite good article.

The way women are portrayed in movies is twisted.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

inho wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 1:30 pm I think that was a quite good article.

Name some movies -- high budget ones that women as a whole might object to.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Also, do we need more lesbian characters? Or am I wrong in the way paragraph three seems to indicate?

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

This article is presenting information. I don't know why it is liberal or feminist unless people actually view women as sex objects who are dumb and expected to stay in their "place".

So Deseret cannot report on this? Why? Is this not an issue for Utah as much as anywhere else?

The people i see having issue with this article are the old guys (or even old women) who don't like women being anything but what they have deemed them to be.

They raise a good concern that I have shared myself. I do not care for any affirmative action type stuff for anyone trying to make everything "equal". but I do care about the issues brought up.

We shouldn't be surprised at the state of our society when what society digests is bad messages, degrading messages and filth. women are always sexualized and I find it offensive. I, as a female, completely understand why this type of portrayal is depressing, it like a woman is never good enough. Even the magazines selling lotions and makeup etc, all based on the idea that it's NEEDED because your not attractive. And never mind the shame it can bring to women having their bodies portrayed all over the world in lust-full light.
If your not a female, you may not understand this.

If roles were reversed what then? What would we call the men complaining or wanting something different than what society has given them?

Feminist is a word I'm tired of hearing, especially from Lds. Lds should care deeply about females and to respect and honor them understanding the eternal nature of all women. But...then comes the polygamy junk that kind of puts women right back in the pot.

Tired of it all

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Fiannan wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 1:36 pm
inho wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 1:30 pm I think that was a quite good article.

Name some movies -- high budget ones that women as a whole might object to.
Maybe you should start a poll, I can't answer for all women but I am 1 woman. I object to pretty much all movies that have females in them...they are always portrayed in sexual light that gets quite annoying. Perhaps you do not notice it because it is normal to you?

The world is twisted...perhaps we should start separating ourselves from the "whole"? You asked about which movie women as a whole would object to...that's not a good basis anymore to have a point. Too many women accept the depravity of the world so you will always see your point as correct when you include the corrupt people in the "whole".

It's like you are sitting back and analyzing Sodom and Gomorrah to see their flaws and call them out...getting old.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Fiannan wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 1:37 pm Also, do we need more lesbian characters? Or am I wrong in the way paragraph three seems to indicate?
Just reporting numbers is what I see. I think the wording could easily indicate to readers that having zero lesbian something, is a problem.

They were reporting from a study conducted and maybe Deseret didnt want to cut the paragraph before the lesbian part. It's not Deseret saying it or indicating that a lack of lesbian characters is a bad thing.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

How Hollywood is failing women? Since when do covenant people care how a corrupt worldly construct filled with rapists, prostitutes, and pedophiles has failed women? They are in the world AND OF THE WORLD. But...whatever sells, I guess. Superheroes and newspapers.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

I am a fan of pseudo scientific cop shows like NCIS (various CSIs etc) I think one of the most dangerous things that Hollywood is doing is portraying women as the fighting equals of men. For several years NCIS had a main character that was a woman who was originally from MOSSAD. She would rather regularly get into hand to hand combat with bad guys many who were professional killers or Navy SEALS or whatever, and invariably with her superior fighting skills and strength, she would defeat them.

I cite NCIS, not because it is unique, but because I see this all over the place. Hollywood is professional, and this stuff is well done. It looks like physically fit, well trained men and women are equal in a street fight. While politically incorrect to note this, it is most definitely NOT true. How many women are going to get themselves into serious trouble, or even get killed because they "buy" into this oft portrayed myth?

Regards,

George Clay

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Not only that, but a large person, equal in skill, speed, etc to a small person will typically win the fight. This is why there are weight divisions in sports like boxing, martial arts, etc. A woman of a certain skill, speed, etc would be evenly matched against a man of equal speed, skill if both are the same weight/strength/size.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

marc wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 3:37 pm Not only that, but a large person, equal in skill, speed, etc to a small person will typically win the fight. This is why there are weight divisions in sports like boxing, martial arts, etc. A woman of a certain skill, speed, etc would be evenly matched against a man of equal speed, skill if both are the same weight/strength/size.
Not to turn this into a different thread but your comment brought up why many don't like women being in certain combat groups. The women who passed the navy seal qualification, still did worse than the lowest male soldier. We're just not built the same.

I vouch for elevating men to be the fighters and protectors as they desire to be and elevating women to their feminine and human qualities and not limiting them to sex or cleaning/cooking ie "slave" roles.
Women have much to offer.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

marc,
A woman of a certain skill, speed, etc would be evenly matched against a man of equal speed, skill if both are the same weight/strength/size.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/paren ... track-meet

Apparently you do not understand basic Biology. Even a man of similar size and weight, will be much stronger and faster than a woman. There is this thing called testosterone. By the way, that is one of the scams being perpetuated by our new "select your gender" society. People with a Y chromosome are defining themselves as "women", and then kicking a$$ in the world of High School wrestling, because men and women are NOT physically equal.

Regards,

George Clay

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

In some sports women and men can compete on equal terms. These are generally high skill sports not dependent on strength. So sports such as rifle and pistol shooting, curling, luge and skeleton, chess, badminton, table tennis, archery, croquet, equestrian sports and so on.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

gkearney,

In some sports women and men can compete on equal terms. These are generally high skill sports not dependent on strength. So sports such as rifle and pistol shooting, curling, luge and skeleton, chess, badminton, table tennis, archery, croquet, equestrian sports and so on.
True, but it is kind of irrelevant to my original point that Hollywood portraying women as being equal to men in street fighting is dangerous to the extent that young women may be convinced that it is true, and get themselves into trouble.

For example, a woman, thinking that she is physically equal to a man, may not be cautious as when and where she goes with questionable (but maybe exciting) men, and think that she can resist rape, if attempted. Too many times.. not. If some disgusting young man is willing to punch out and rape a woman... too often,. he will succeed.

Regards,

George Clay
Last edited by gclayjr on December 3rd, 2017, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

gclayjr wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 5:48 pm marc,
A woman of a certain skill, speed, etc would be evenly matched against a man of equal speed, skill if both are the same weight/strength/size.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/paren ... track-meet

Apparently you do not understand basic Biology. Even a man of similar size and weight, will be much stronger and faster than a woman. There is this thing called testosterone. By the way, that is one of the scams being perpetuated by our new "select your gender" society. People with a Y chromosome are defining themselves as "women", and then kicking a$$ in the world of High School wrestling, because men and women are NOT physically equal.

Regards,

George Clay
Good point. I had forgotten about testosterone. Case in point:

Was it chance that the transgender won? Or was the woman really no match for the transgender who has more testosterone (born a man)?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

marc,
Was it chance that the transgender won? Or was the woman really no match for the transgender who has more testosterone (born a man)?
I assume your question is rhetorical... another example

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/26/tr ... ament.html

Regards,

George Clay

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Back to the original subject:
40% of women are portrayed in sexy attire. When I'm in places other than Utah, I see a lot more than 40% of young females in the general public wearing sexy attire.

61% of actresses are thin. So what? Thin is healthy and thin is attractive. Fatties can complain, they can say that men shouldn't find fat women less attractive than thin women, but look at what male body types they find attractive. Thin should be encouraged, not discouraged.

77% are white? So what? As long as white actresses draw larger audiences, why should the businesses making movies reduce potential income.

0 LGBT females in the top 100 movies? Sorry critics, but the studios don't decide which movies are going to be the most popular. If the general public doesn't like movies with fat multicultural LGBT characters in muumuus, it isn't the fault of the studios.

Sorry Stacy Smith, but when men are looking at women they place the most value on appearance. Without that attractive appearance they will be less valued by men. Somehow I doubt she has any problem with women judging men based on appearance, status, or wealth.

93% of women are portrayed in traditionally female roles. Well guess what: that's what appeals to men. Stupid young women who have been suckered in by feminism can believe that men will judge them based on education, job title, and income, but men judge women based on femininity and willingness to be women.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

I'll tell you what I think.

I think people always have something ignorant to say nowadays. We live in a world where EVERYTHING is now offensive. If Wonder Woman was a skinny or fat woman - they have something to say. If she's black or white - they have something to say. If she had a pimple on her nose - they have something to say. If she wore pants and not a bikini - THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY!

She's a beautiful woman! Yes, she's hot! So what?! And may I add she was a tough lady who I wouldn't mess with!

Cheezo Peezo! It's just a freakin movie!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

MMbelieve wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm
Fiannan wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 1:37 pm Also, do we need more lesbian characters? Or am I wrong in the way paragraph three seems to indicate?
Just reporting numbers is what I see. I think the wording could easily indicate to readers that having zero lesbian something, is a problem.

They were reporting from a study conducted and maybe Deseret didnt want to cut the paragraph before the lesbian part. It's not Deseret saying it or indicating that a lack of lesbian characters is a bad thing.
Well, that is not the way I see it. There are a variety of ways one could attack the Hollywood industry but this article reads like a SJW complaint. And yes, it does come across like maybe we should have more movies with lesbian lead characters.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Fiannan wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 8:46 pmWell, that is not the way I see it. There are a variety of ways one could attack the Hollywood industry but this article reads like a SJW complaint. And yes, it does come across like maybe we should have more movies with lesbian lead characters.
I got the same impression from the article, but that's no surprise, as the Deseret News is just as liberal and sickening as the SL Tribune rag anymore.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

EmmaLee wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 8:50 pm
Fiannan wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 8:46 pmWell, that is not the way I see it. There are a variety of ways one could attack the Hollywood industry but this article reads like a SJW complaint. And yes, it does come across like maybe we should have more movies with lesbian lead characters.
I got the same impression from the article, but that's no surprise, as the Deseret News is just as liberal and sickening as the SL Tribune rag anymore.
Problem is that, to borrow from a Star Trek metaphor, when Mormons read the SLT their shields are up but when they read TDN they don't have their shields up and therefore are more susceptible to messages that are not good.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Yep, exactly ^ which makes it far more dangerous than the Tribune, IMO. Satan always has the greatest success by destroying from within.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

brianj wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 8:08 pm 93% of women are portrayed in traditionally female roles. Well guess what: that's what appeals to men. Stupid young women who have been suckered in by feminism can believe that men will judge them based on education, job title, and income, but men judge women based on femininity and willingness to be women.
I am not a model of femininity and quite frankly did not understand the power of femininity for a long time. I was totally clueless, just living my life like a normal person with no knowledge that I was supposed to dress or act a certain way in order to get married. I read that book from the 1950’s or 60’s on the power of femininity and was totally blown away but it was too late by that point, I was too used to just being my authentic self - more like the girl next door. (NOT a social retard or in crumpled clothes or anything - more like athletic than feminine.)

But I found, thank goodness, the opposite of what you said. As soon as I entered law school, the number and quality of the men that asked me out greatly increased. Maybe that was the exception to the rule, I don’t know. But to this day I tell people that law school is the reason I am married.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

The overall article just confirms all the more how up to our eyeballs in Babylon we are. Personally I am all about tradition, father working by the sweat of his brow bringing home the bacon and mother making the house a home and refuge, and both of them becoming one in purpose, yet each a distinct individual being, each complimenting the other in their unique God givin roles in life and neither one usurping or supplanting each other.
Holly crap wood is completely opposed to the traditional family, and their demonic influence is everywhere. A complete reversal of family values is upon us today. Large family's are a scorned thing of the past, considered to be trailer trash. Amazing how the adversary has turned America upside down.
The way Hollywood portrays women is disgusting and insulting to being a wife and a mother. The sooner it literally burns, the better off society will be. But I guess Hollywood is a reflection of our society, or, we are a reflection of it, or probably both.
The worst thing that ever happened to the family is the wife/woman going into the workforce. Being a good wife and a mother far surpasses anything that the corporate world has to offer. If she was offered the presidency of the United States it would be quite a step down from being a good mother.
Personally the woman I admire the most is the mother that devotes herself to the raising of her children to be children of God... There are it seems extenuating circumstances but they should be few and very far between. But as our society is, under existing conditions, that is not the case, as again, we are fully encompassed in Babylon....

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

simpleton wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 9:33 pm The overall article just confirms all the more how up to our eyeballs in Babylon we are. Personally I am all about tradition, father working by the sweat of his brow bringing home the bacon and mother making the house a home and refuge, and both of them becoming one in purpose, yet each a distinct individual being, each complimenting the other in their unique God givin roles in life and neither one usurping or supplanting each other.
Holly crap wood is completely opposed to the traditional family, and their demonic influence is everywhere. A complete reversal of family values is upon us today. Large family's are a scorned thing of the past, considered to be trailer trash. Amazing how the adversary has turned America upside down.
The way Hollywood portrays women is disgusting and insulting to being a wife and a mother. The sooner it literally burns, the better off society will be. But I guess Hollywood is a reflection of our society, or, we are a reflection of it, or probably both.
The worst thing that ever happened to the family is the wife/woman going into the workforce. Being a good wife and a mother far surpasses anything that the corporate world has to offer. If she was offered the presidency of the United States it would be quite a step down from being a good mother.
Personally the woman I admire the most is the mother that devotes herself to the raising of her children to be children of God... There are it seems extenuating circumstances but they should be few and very far between. But as our society is, under existing conditions, that is not the case, as again, we are fully encompassed in Babylon....
The problem is more than women entering the workforce. There are many factors that make it hard for the traditional family to work and work well. Everything cost so much these days and far too many men cannot support a medium size family on their sole income, let alone a large family. I don't like it when the blame is placed on women when there are plenty of men who dont have the same drive as you mentioned in your post.