Green Tea: Your thoughts?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Re: Green Tea: Your thoughts?

Post by oneClimbs »

Juliet wrote: November 29th, 2017, 10:29 am Shouldn't anything made by cunning men in the last days be against the word of wisdom? That would include gmo corn, soy... Just find me one processed food that doesn't have soy bean oil made from genetically modified soy beans. There are now gmo sliced apples that don't go brown. These things have viruses injected into them to add DNA sequences so as to rip open the intestines of the bugs that eat them. I don't think they are safe for consumption and even produce is not exempt anymore. In fact one generation of rats eating gmos were not able to reproduce.
At this point if we are not providing our own food then we are being harmed by the chemicals in the foods we eat. It isn't always possible to afford or be completely self reliant, so I have to rely on the atonement to make up the difference because I have to feed my family. But some day we are going to be self sufficient.
I think you have to look at each thing individually. Study the principles in the Word of Wisdom and see how a particular item applies. Genetic modification can take many forms. We've been modifying plants for millennia through breeding and such and I don't think all genetic modifications are necessarily bad. If you can tweak some genes to allow potatoes to grow in a place where people are starving or help them adapt better to their environment, I don't see that as evil per se. Now there may be other unintended consequences that could make it dangerous but you'd have to look at things on an individual basis.

Sure it takes some research but even if you have a garden at home, are you making sure that the food you are growing is free from harmful bacteria like ecoli? Is your home garden free from any toxic runoff in the area or other chemicals in the soil in the surrounding area? Birds poop on plants and their feces can contain harmful toxins and bacteria as well. So a home garden will require a lot of due diligence to make sure the food is safe. Back in the day, people had relatively plain diets and made a lot of different things with fewer ingredients. Today you have thousands of options. If you want that freedom, you gotta do more research, there's no other way around it.

Even with a few small tweaks though, we can eat cleaner. I don't think you're going to get to 100% but if you can go from 20% to 70% then that's something for sure.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

5tev3 wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:13 am
Juliet wrote: November 29th, 2017, 10:29 am Shouldn't anything made by cunning men in the last days be against the word of wisdom? That would include gmo corn, soy... Just find me one processed food that doesn't have soy bean oil made from genetically modified soy beans. There are now gmo sliced apples that don't go brown. These things have viruses injected into them to add DNA sequences so as to rip open the intestines of the bugs that eat them. I don't think they are safe for consumption and even produce is not exempt anymore. In fact one generation of rats eating gmos were not able to reproduce.
At this point if we are not providing our own food then we are being harmed by the chemicals in the foods we eat. It isn't always possible to afford or be completely self reliant, so I have to rely on the atonement to make up the difference because I have to feed my family. But some day we are going to be self sufficient.
I think you have to look at each thing individually. Study the principles in the Word of Wisdom and see how a particular item applies. Genetic modification can take many forms. We've been modifying plants for millennia through breeding and such and I don't think all genetic modifications are necessarily bad. If you can tweak some genes to allow potatoes to grow in a place where people are starving or help them adapt better to their environment, I don't see that as evil per se. Now there may be other unintended consequences that could make it dangerous but you'd have to look at things on an individual basis.

Sure it takes some research but even if you have a garden at home, are you making sure that the food you are growing is free from harmful bacteria like ecoli? Is your home garden free from any toxic runoff in the area or other chemicals in the soil in the surrounding area? Birds poop on plants and their feces can contain harmful toxins and bacteria as well. So a home garden will require a lot of due diligence to make sure the food is safe. Back in the day, people had relatively plain diets and made a lot of different things with fewer ingredients. Today you have thousands of options. If you want that freedom, you gotta do more research, there's no other way around it.

Even with a few small tweaks though, we can eat cleaner. I don't think you're going to get to 100% but if you can go from 20% to 70% then that's something for sure.
I have no problem with cross breeding. Injecting foods with viruses is not appropriate and is what I am referring to when I say genetically modified organism. It is something that would not occur naturally and studies do show they are harmful. They also allow seeds to be patented which creates monopolies, if your farm is contaminated with gmo corn seeds, then; you could be sued by Monsanto, the primary producer of gmos. There is a good documentary about them someone here may be able to know the name of, I can't remember the name of it, that talks about farmers losing their farms because neighbors grew monsanto gmos and their fields were contaminated by wind with gmo seeds and etc and then the farmers were sued for having Monsantos' seeds in their farms and lost their farms. It is not a good idea to make seeds that are harmful that cross breed and contaminate natural seeds and it is not good for anyone to be able to patent seeds or life or any kind. Here is a link: https://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/11/fa ... -feed.html

A lot of us do have parasites from eating contaminated food, in fact, according to Dr. Hulda Clark, all Americans ought to be doing parasite cleanses regularly.

I do think we are going to get there eventually as far as innovation and providing healthy food as a whole society. We just have to weed out the bad apples who can ruin it for everyone just because of fantastic notions of greed and controlling the world seed supply eh eh, cough Monsanto.
Last edited by Juliet on November 30th, 2017, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ratbag
captain of 100

Post by Ratbag »

Ribble wrote: September 8th, 2012, 3:03 pm I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject?
One is included in the prohibitions of the Word of Wisdom and one is not. Pretty simple, really. However, that said, I also believe the spirit of the WofW includes any caffeinated beverages that is not used for a medical purpose. Elder John A. Widtsoe and his wife wrote a book, The Word of Wisdom: A Modern Interpretation in which he specifically condemns all sodas that contain caffeine as against the WofW. Caffeine is an addictive substance and all addictive substances, unless used for legitimate, legal medical purposes are not in harmony with the spirit of the WofW.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

gkearney wrote: November 29th, 2017, 1:21 pm In South Africa the social drink of choice is Rooibos Tea. This is not for the tea tree plant and does not contain caffeine. It is common in South Africa to have Rooibos Tea at LDS Church function and in the home of members. So not everything that is called tea is a violation fo the word of wisdom.

Silver wrote: November 28th, 2017, 9:32 pm
OCDMOM wrote: November 28th, 2017, 7:52 pm Green tea is an herbal tea. The hot drink restrictions are all about caffeine. I know a lot of very faithful Mormons that drink herbal teas. Nobody complains about hot chocolate. The word of wisdom talks about using herbs,
I lived in Japan for 8 years, 2 of them as a missionary teaching/begging investigators and new members to stop drinking green tea. Later, as an active member of a ward in Tokyo, I heard it rehearsed over and over again that green tea, and some others, which the Japanese consume in great quantities, are violations of the WoW.

Many people claim that green tea has a multitude of healthy benefits such as cancer prevention. That's great. However, faithful Mormons still shouldn't drink it.

Green tea comes from "cha no happa" in the Japanese. That is the "leaf of a tea plant." It's not an herb.
I LOVE Rooibos tea! My son introduced it to me when he came home from his mission from South Africa. (His mission Pres drank it.) It is good at calming tummy's. It has almost a natural vanilla flair to it. I hope it's not against the WofW. ;)

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

5tev3 wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:13 am

I don't know:
Leviticus19:19 ¶ Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.
We may not be under the Law of Moses, but it seems there may still be some good advice that is useful we should heed.

RTaylor
captain of 10

Post by RTaylor »

Many of you are missing the point of the word of wisdom. You could take cocain or meth as long as it has a medicinal purpose. And many church leaders have and do. Burn victims/surgeries use HEAVY drugs, NOT against the wow. Most important consideration should be is this good for my health. As for green tea etc it is NOT healthy if you get it from a non organic source, heavily fluoridated/heavy metals etc otherwise.

RocknRoll
captain of 100

Post by RocknRoll »

Leviticus19:19 ¶ Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.
We may not be under the Law of Moses, but it seems there may still be some good advice that is useful we should heed.
You mean we shouldn't be wearing clothes that are made of linen and wool? Oh...you mean the part highlighted in red. ;)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

JohnnyL wrote: November 29th, 2017, 10:14 am
Thinker wrote: November 28th, 2017, 12:44 pm The word of wisdom needs to be approached and applied with wisdom - from studying it out etc. It is obvious that green tea is healthier than dr. pepper - and has less caffeine too! And from what I've read and based on experience - I feel better after drinking green tea than I do drinking things like Dr. Pepper.

Joseph Smith gave some inspired advise - especially about not smoking - but I think he missed it in restricting "hot drinks." If many people in developing countries avoided hot drinks - many would have been sick or dead from drinks that were not boiled.

Again, use wisdom in everything - and I'm reminded also of the need to not be commanded in all things - to study it out and learn.

BTW - Maybe sugar is something to watch out for more than plant-based drinks.
The commandment is simple. The principle is up to you and how many extra blessings you want. ;)

There was far worse when the revelation was given, and you’re right about sugar :!:

https://truewestmagazine.com/drugs-on-the-frontier/ wrote:
Drugs on the Frontier

... Infants weren’t safe from these drugs. Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing Syrup for babies, for example, had 65 mg per fluid ounce, morphine. Alcohol was another primary ingredient. Not surprisingly, it effectively quieted restless infants and small children especially for “teething.” It was widely marketed however, in 1911 the American Medical Association issued a publication titled “Nostrums And Quackery” in which, in a section called “Baby Killers”, it incriminated Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing Syrup. The product was nevertheless not withdrawn from sale until 1930. ...

The most common form for the ingestion of opium was laudanum. It was made from a tincture of opium and alcohol, flavored with vanilla, cherry, orange, lemon or almond. It was prescribed for ailments ranging from snake bite and gunshot wounds to migraines, menstrual cramps, venereal disease, worms, and diarrhea. It was regarded as the panacea for all that ails you. It was a tincture of opium. In other words it might be a mixture of alcohol and opium with opium being the chief ingredient. It could be packed in a bottle and drank to kill the pain of everything from a toothache to a serious injury. ...
Who saith what & where :?:

Area counsel for some, does not apply to all. :lol:

Interpretations that aren’t canonized make me wonder, why not adopt it as scripture :?:

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Silver wrote: November 28th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Thinker wrote: November 28th, 2017, 12:44 pm The word of wisdom needs to be approached and applied with wisdom - from studying it out etc. It is obvious that green tea is healthier than dr. pepper - and has less caffeine too! And from what I've read and based on experience - I feel better after drinking green tea than I do drinking things like Dr. Pepper.

Joseph Smith gave some inspired advise - especially about not smoking - but I think he missed it in restricting "hot drinks." If many people in developing countries avoided hot drinks - many would have been sick or dead from drinks that were not boiled.

Again, use wisdom in everything - and I'm reminded also of the need to not be commanded in all things - to study it out and learn.

The highlighted section is blatantly and logically wrong. There is no danger in boiling water and then allowing it to cool prior to consumption.

Your body may feel better after drinking green tea. You've probably told yourself that anyway. However, it is a clear violation of the WoW.
No it is correct, historically. Yes they could have let drinks cool after boiking, but they wanted th “hot drink.” Back in the day, they didn’t know that boiling water killed the bacteria - but they boiled it FOR the hot drinks like tea - and for that - they didn’t get sick, unlike others who got sick from drinking unboiled water etc.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

JohnnyL wrote: November 29th, 2017, 10:14 am

The commandment is simple. The principle is up to you and how many extra blessings you want. ;)
There are 2 types of commandments:
1) Generic ones given to everyone &
2) Personal commands specific to one individually.

I believe that the commandments personally given supercede the others. And I think if you consider it from strict “simple” interpretation, you’d agree.
Ie: “Thou shalt not kill.”
It doesn’t say “thou shalt not kill humans” - it says “thou shalt not kill” period.
So, if you take that commandment literally and without common sense wisdom, we’re all screwed because we’ve all killed a spider, or a mouse, or indirectly killed animals, fish and plants.

Commandments are not so simple or literal. It’s best to go with spirit of the law over the letter of the law. God gave us brains to use and we should not have to be commanded in all things.