The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

What do the scriptures teach us about the earth?

The Earth is a globe.
67%
The Earth is Flat like a terrarium (a dome).
14%
The Earth is a globe and hollow.
15%
The Earth is Flat and hollow.
3%

Total votes: 98
bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by bradfordjames8 »

You know, in a pure scale experiment. I could argue that all basket balls are flat too.
Attachments
Perspective and scale are vital
Perspective and scale are vital
FB_IMG_1511755600705.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by gclayjr »

The massive NASA (and every other rational human) conspiracy just dodged a bullet

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-BBFMaVp

The flat earther truth tellers' hero almost proved the earth to be flat... almost..maybe next time

Regards,

George Clay

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Because the man thinks the earth is flat. If he succeeds, and decided to continue going higher and higher, I wonder if he'll reach a height (supposing he doesn't kill himself doing this) where he's like, "Dang! The earth isn't flat at all!"
JohnnyL wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 2:36 pm
Silver wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 1:22 pm This guy needs help. The pictures didn't come over with the copy/paste.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/11/23/780 ... nch-himse/

Man who thinks the earth is flat will launch himself in a rocket he built in his own backyard
And this has what to do with the topic?? :roll:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BLM objected to his Saturday launch plan, saying Hughes needed permission from it before he could carry out the launch at his chosen location, permission he didn’t have.
Dang!
Hughes also said the motor home he had converted into a rocket launcher broke down in the driveway just as it was being driven out to Amboy.
Double dang!

Another piece of private land in the Mojave Desert, near Amboy, has been identified by Hughes as a site where he thinks he would be able to perform his launch without any troubles. The launch may happen as early as this week, provided no other unexpected delays occur.
The quotes above are from George Clay's link.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Is that a real tweet, Joel?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Silver Pie wrote: November 29th, 2017, 7:30 pm Is that a real tweet, Joel?
Yes it was :lol:

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Robin Hood wrote: January 4th, 2017, 2:55 pm They also believe NASA is a massive money making scam.
That Columbus started to payback his loans to the Queen of Spain.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Only Two-Thirds Of American Millennials Believe The Earth Is Round

Post by Joel »

Only Two-Thirds Of American Millennials Believe The Earth Is Round

Millennials in America sometimes get a bad reputation, this time for good reason. A recent survey found that just 66 percent of young adults aged 18 to 24 years old have "always believed the world is round."

YouGov polled 8,215 US adults on February 8th, 2018 to get a representative idea of America's views on the shape of the Earth. What they found would make any scientist shake their heads, a surprising percentage of responders weren't convinced the Earth is round.

The question asked individuals to categorize their thoughts surrounding the shape of the Earth into one of the five buckets below:

I have always believed the world is round
I always thought the world is round, but more recently I am skeptical/have doubts
I always thought the world is flat, but more recently I am skeptical/have doubts
I have always believed the world is flat
Other/Not sure

The survey found that 2% of Americans firmly believe the Earth is flat, with interesting differences segmented by age, religion, income, and political affiliation.

Of the thousands of American adults surveyed, the percent that always believed the Earth is round decreased with younger generations. In total, 84% of Americans responded that they believe the Earth is round. While the large majority believe the world is round, young millennials aged 18 to 24 are more likely to subscribe to the flat Earth belief (4%).

Religious beliefs appear to be correlated with one's likelihood to subscribe to a flat Earth. YouGov found that 52 percent of flat earthers consider themselves "very religious."

The degree to which Americans, particularly those who are very religious and/or a millennial is troubling on many levels. Are millennials sourcing their beliefs from sports stars such as Kyrie Irving, who regularly claims the Earth is flat? Or is there an underlying disbelief of science that is fueling their rejection of a spherical world? It's hard to know for sure the underlying causes prompting a belief in a flat Earth for different segments of Americans.

Robin Andrews with IFLScience pointed out that staunch religious conservatives tend to hold a disbelief in science and are unwilling to support scientific research and findings.

Comparing religious beliefs, YouGov found that Democrats are slightly less likely to believe the Earth is round than Republicans (83 versus 89 percent, respectively). This, perhaps, could be an overprint of younger generations more likely to lean Democratic and older generations more likely to lean Republican. While YouGov didn't find a significant variation in flat Earth beliefs geographically, they did find a significant variation based on income level.

The survey found that those with an income less than $40,000 (79%) are much less likely to believe the world is round compared to those with an income over $80,000 (92%).

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

"The earth is flat and hollow", i laughed :lol:

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

It totally could be hollow. No one has drilled down farther than
7 miles to actually see! #scienceIsTheirReligion #hidingGod

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Re: Only Two-Thirds Of American Millennials Believe The Earth Is Round

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Joel wrote: April 4th, 2018, 8:20 pm Only Two-Thirds Of American Millennials Believe The Earth Is Round

Millennials in America sometimes get a bad reputation, this time for good reason. A recent survey found that just 66 percent of young adults aged 18 to 24 years old have "always believed the world is round."

YouGov polled 8,215 US adults on February 8th, 2018 to get a representative idea of America's views on the shape of the Earth. What they found would make any scientist shake their heads, a surprising percentage of responders weren't convinced the Earth is round.

The question asked individuals to categorize their thoughts surrounding the shape of the Earth into one of the five buckets below:

I have always believed the world is round
I always thought the world is round, but more recently I am skeptical/have doubts
I always thought the world is flat, but more recently I am skeptical/have doubts
I have always believed the world is flat
Other/Not sure

The survey found that 2% of Americans firmly believe the Earth is flat, with interesting differences segmented by age, religion, income, and political affiliation.

Of the thousands of American adults surveyed, the percent that always believed the Earth is round decreased with younger generations. In total, 84% of Americans responded that they believe the Earth is round. While the large majority believe the world is round, young millennials aged 18 to 24 are more likely to subscribe to the flat Earth belief (4%).

Religious beliefs appear to be correlated with one's likelihood to subscribe to a flat Earth. YouGov found that 52 percent of flat earthers consider themselves "very religious."

The degree to which Americans, particularly those who are very religious and/or a millennial is troubling on many levels. Are millennials sourcing their beliefs from sports stars such as Kyrie Irving, who regularly claims the Earth is flat? Or is there an underlying disbelief of science that is fueling their rejection of a spherical world? It's hard to know for sure the underlying causes prompting a belief in a flat Earth for different segments of Americans.

Robin Andrews with IFLScience pointed out that staunch religious conservatives tend to hold a disbelief in science and are unwilling to support scientific research and findings.

Comparing religious beliefs, YouGov found that Democrats are slightly less likely to believe the Earth is round than Republicans (83 versus 89 percent, respectively). This, perhaps, could be an overprint of younger generations more likely to lean Democratic and older generations more likely to lean Republican. While YouGov didn't find a significant variation in flat Earth beliefs geographically, they did find a significant variation based on income level.

The survey found that those with an income less than $40,000 (79%) are much less likely to believe the world is round compared to those with an income over $80,000 (92%).
ONLY 2/3rds??? How sad...or is it pathetic? I’m not sure which adjective to use.

(Mods: notice I didn’t call anyone sad or pathetic but it was to the fact In the OP that I was applying the adjective.)

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

abijah wrote: April 4th, 2018, 8:29 pm "The earth is flat and hollow", i laughed :lol:
#metoo

joelfree
Hi, I'm new.

Post by joelfree »

So the light and the darkness were separated on the first day and the lights in the sky and the larger one to rule the day and the lesser to rule the night took place on the fourth day. Seems to me that the light may be independent of the sun and moon in some way. So, if the earth was flat and the sun was only 30k up and it could light up the earth like we believe it does, based on Genesis maybe it doesn't have to.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

joelfree wrote: May 25th, 2018, 3:47 am So the light and the darkness were separated on the first day and the lights in the sky and the larger one to rule the day and the lesser to rule the night took place on the fourth day. Seems to me that the light may be independent of the sun and moon in some way. So, if the earth was flat and the sun was only 30k up and it could light up the earth like we believe it does, based on Genesis maybe it doesn't have to.
OK, but the earth is a globe. Please remember LDS scripture is heliocentric.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

braingrunt wrote: May 25th, 2018, 7:13 am

Please remember LDS scripture is heliocentric.
That is not entirely accurate.
There certainly appears to be heliocentric characteristics in the Kolob model, which means the generally accepted modern scientific heliocentric model is not supported by LDS scripture.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Robin Hood wrote: May 25th, 2018, 8:03 am
braingrunt wrote: May 25th, 2018, 7:13 am

Please remember LDS scripture is heliocentric.
That is not entirely accurate.
There certainly appears to be heliocentric characteristics in the Kolob model, which means the generally accepted modern scientific heliocentric model is apparently supported by LDS scripture.
Fixed it for you.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Perhaps what we should say, if we want to pick nits, is that LDS scripture is VERY MUCH not flat earth, and is much closer to our standard scientific model.

But flat earth is so religious for some reason, that when I pointed that out months ago to Kitkat and Jared, they forgave Joseph for being deceived by the global conspiracy and leaking it into his works.
Jared & Kitkat were apostate anyhow.

There's something remarkable about the flat earth movement, almost magic. I suspect we'll one day find out some remarkable diagnostic power in flat-earth belief (or pretense of it). Not just that the people are stupid, some of them might not be. For example, I think Jeran is a clever vampire. But maybe it will do something like become the leading predictor of bipolar or paranoid schizophrenia or something. I'm just letting my imagination run wild, based on the amazing things I've personally witnessed.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Looking at other planets - or our moon - obviously shows the circular shapes.

Who can give a simple explanation of LOVE? “God is love.”
I AM THAT I AM... Jesus taught, “The kingdom of God cometh not with observation; Neither shall they say lo here or lo there. For behold, the kingdom of God is within you.”

Primary Outcast
captain of 100

Post by Primary Outcast »

I recently started to look into the flat earth theory and do not believe it is true for mainly 2 reasons. 1) the sunset 2) The flight from Sydney Australia to Santiago Chile is only 14 hours 20 minutes.

All sunsets that I've seen show the circle shaped sun meet with the horizon, and then the bottom part of the circle sun gets cut off by the horizon until the entire sun disappears. If the sun disappeared into the atmosphere then the shape of the sun would not change.