Try the LDSFF 2018 Beta.. (new design, more mobile-friendly)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Try the LDSFF 2018 Beta.. (new design, more mobile-friendly)

Post by mes5464 »

ParticleMan wrote: September 12th, 2017, 4:00 am General:
* Make more compact: Reduce the padding of virtually every div, sidebar lists, and line spacing in posts (to make more text visible per page and faster to scroll through, thus more friendly for not just mobile but all displays).
* On the index, don't truncate the width of the Last Post column: increase its width and/or wrap its text.
* Quote scrollbars: Annoying but sometimes desired. Add a toggle?

Sidebar:
* Don't crop the sides of the LDSFF logo.
* Make the sidebar bg the blue of the LDSFF logo.

Full editor:
* In "Post a reply," the subject text is currently centered and truncated but scrollable. Instead, align it next to "Subject: " and don't truncate it.
* "youtube": 1. currently overflows from the button, so replace it with a YouTube icon, and 2. edit the tooltip to something like "Embed a YouTube video: ...".
* s: 1. could (still) use a tooltip, 2. should be s, and 3. would better be placed after U.
* "Font colour": Are you Bri'ish? ;)

for the youtube video you could use the bootstrap icon glyphicon glyphicon-facetime-video.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

The color for text in quotes and signatures is a really light grey and for me at least, its a strain to read. Can you make it a bit darker or something that contrasts with the background more?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

There used to be an asterisk by posts that I've commented on. There doesn't seem to be an indicator of that anymore as far as I can tell.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Rensai wrote: September 14th, 2017, 3:13 pm The color for text in quotes and signatures is a really light grey and for me at least, its a strain to read. Can you make it a bit darker or something that contrasts with the background more?

Trick or Treat

Give me something good to eat.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:39 pm
Rensai wrote: September 14th, 2017, 3:13 pm The color for text in quotes and signatures is a really light grey and for me at least, its a strain to read. Can you make it a bit darker or something that contrasts with the background more?

Trick or Treat

I don't get it.. what are you trying to say?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Please make links open in new tabs.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Rensai wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Trick or Treat

Grey is an alien; Gray is a color. :mrgreen:

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Trick or Treat

Both are acceptable spellings.
http://grammarist.com/spelling/gray-grey/

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Trick or Treat

:P They're named after their color

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Grey is a colour as indicated in the Oxford English dictionary. Gray is the Americanised version of the word.
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm Grey is an alien; Gray is a color. :mrgreen:

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

President Monson, says Canaries with Gray on Their Wings

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Elizabeth wrote: September 14th, 2017, 7:27 pm Grey is a colour as indicated in the Oxford English dictionary. Gray is the Americanised version of the word.
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm Grey is an alien; Gray is a color. :mrgreen:
You say potato, and I say paatato ... Gray vs Grey

President Monson, says Canaries with Gray on Their Wings = I rest my case. :evil:

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Americanised English is not correct English no matter who uses it.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

He speaks for God = works for me!

He does say the canaries were among her things. :(

Then again God did create everything that was created, so that must mean people are things too. :mrgreen:
John 1 wrote:
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I like the larger font and more space. I like the idea of the scrolling quotes because quotes can add so much space but the scrolling is annoying, as many people have mentioned. A "read more" type feature on quotes would be nice, where they are collapsed but you can expand them.

An arrow to go to the top of the page would be good but it needs to be larger than the last one. The last one was so small it wouldn't work on my phone unless I made the screen really big.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

SmallFarm wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:31 pm There used to be an asterisk by posts that I've commented on. There doesn't seem to be an indicator of that anymore as far as I can tell.
I'd like to have something like the asterisk in the new design too.

At first, I didn't like to be forced to scroll the long quotes. Now I have already gotten used to it. I think the new way is better. There are often really long strings of quotes in posts and the readability of the thread is much better when not everything is shown. Alternatively, people could just try to learn to quote the part that is relevant, not the whole post.

I would like to have easier access to new notifications. Now I have to click the link to go to Notification page in order to see who has quoted or thanked me. In the old version, one didn't need to load the Notifications page, the most recent notifications were shown right away.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

inho wrote: September 15th, 2017, 1:41 am
SmallFarm wrote: September 14th, 2017, 5:31 pm There used to be an asterisk by posts that I've commented on. There doesn't seem to be an indicator of that anymore as far as I can tell.
I'd like to have something like the asterisk in the new design too.

At first, I didn't like to be forced to scroll the long quotes. Now I have already gotten used to it. I think the new way is better. There are often really long strings of quotes in posts and the readability of the thread is much better when not everything is shown. Alternatively, people could just try to learn to quote the part that is relevant, not the whole post.

I would like to have easier access to new notifications. Now I have to click the link to go to Notification page in order to see who has quoted or thanked me. In the old version, one didn't need to load the Notifications page, the most recent notifications were shown right away.
On my phone it's a really difficult process to trim quotes so I don't think people in general will trim quotes.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Also, the circles next to the thread titles aren't working to take me to the last read post. That feature is vital in my opinion.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Thank you for all of the feedback, keep it coming. Even if I don't respond to specific comments, I'm taking everything into consideration as I continue to make updates to the new design.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I did not update, I intended to stay with the familiar one, but the decision was taken from me and the change has automatically occurred.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

I'm using mobile version. Not sure if this makes sense, but there is a lot of unused space; the old version seemed more compact and condensed. For example, the topic boxes are large and and the words easily fit inside. The more compact everything is the better, I say.

Is the old version not useable anymore?

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Well, it was a bit of a jolt, when it came up today, but it's great to have something a little more mobile friendly. I was able to find anything I use on the forum pretty quickly.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I do not like it.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Are we being forced onto the new layout? I can't seem to find the option to choose anymore.

jdtech
captain of 100

Post by jdtech »

If you could swap the user-name / info / avatar with the actual post content, that would probably be helpful. All the white space right down the middle of the screen doesn't quite look right to me (on a regular computer browser - don't know how it looks on mobile). I find that having to read the actual post content on the right edge of the screen somewhat annoying.

Otherwise, it looks really clean and nice. Navigation look and feel is different, but manageable and easy to adapt to.

jdtech
captain of 100

Post by jdtech »

jdtech wrote: September 15th, 2017, 6:57 pm If you could swap the user-name / info / avatar with the actual post content, that would probably be helpful. All the white space right down the middle of the screen doesn't quite look right to me (on a regular computer browser - don't know how it looks on mobile). I find that having to read the actual post content on the right edge of the screen somewhat annoying.

Otherwise, it looks really clean and nice. Navigation look and feel is different, but manageable and easy to adapt to.
Hmm...just figured out how to hide (minimize) the navigation on the left. Definitely a better experience with it mostly hidden. Would still prefer to have the user info swapped with the post content though. White space on the right, to me, is definitely preferable to having white space down the middle.