DISCOVERINGTHEWORDOFWISDOM.COM

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Re: DISCOVERINGTHEWORDOFWISDOM.COM

Post by dconrad000 »

My name is Derek Simnett and I received my Certified Nutritional Practitioner Diploma with first class honours from the Institute of Holistic Nutrition in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
My interest in health and nutrition was sparked after seeing family members suffer from diet related diseases. After researching and testing countless eating styles, I am thriving on a whole foods, plant based diet and have been for the last five years. I have never looked or felt better and want to share my success with you!
Being a competitive athlete most of my life, I focus on performance based nutrition. I love to help people reach their fitness and lifestyle goals through healthy, wholesome food with a natural approach to fitness.
http://simnettnutrition.com/about-2-0/

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Being a strict vegan, Frank pays close attention to his diet to make sure he gets enough variety, plant based proteins and calories to support his intense workouts. Medrano believes that vegan food is a big part in his sporting life.
Frank also says that he doesn’t eat food in public places, as he says, you never really know what you’re going to get. He considers it important to know the ingredients of each meal and where the produce came from.
“I thought I was healthy and strong before, but after adopting a plant-based diet, I started to feel energetic and I was having quicker recovery after training.”

http://www.greatestphysiques.com/frank-medrano/

https://www.forksoverknives.com/frank-m ... gs.MiqUw3Y

Last edited by dconrad000 on August 6th, 2017, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

The above two posts are merely to illustrate that you can build muscle on a strict whole-foods-plant-based diet. In order to look like those guys however, you would have to dedicate hours per day to working out, which doesn't interest me, nor probably most people.

My workout, which has done wonders for my wife and me (and others) over the years, only takes 40 minutes, 4 times per week. I'll post the one-page introduction, here. If anyone would like the entire six-page document, pm me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

INTRODUCTION TO
THE WORKOUT

This workout will exercise virtually every muscle, joint, ligament, tendon, and cartilaginous joint tissue in your body. It will greatly increase the blood flow to all those tissues, bringing them nourishment, and much greater health and strength. It will condition your heart, lungs, and vascular system, and increase your internal strength. It will strengthen your immune system. It will reduce your chances of back problems in the future, or problems with your hip, knee, elbow, and shoulder joints - and virtually all the joints of your body.

This is even more so, if you will eat right, go to bed early, and get up early, getting adequate, good sleep.

When you start the workout I, recommend that you only exert yourself at about a 10 - 20% level, and gradually work your way up to maximum exertion by the end of the first month. It is easy to overdo this workout at first, and if you do, it can make you extremely stiff and sore. If you stick with the program for 2-3 months, you will be so much stronger and healthier, and you will feel so much better, that you will probably want to keep doing the workout till the day you die. I definitely plan to.

Most of the exercises work on the principle of dynamic tension - which means that you are vigorously tensing muscles while going through a range of motion. Often, muscles that do the opposite action are exerted to counteract the motion of the muscles you are exerting. Where possible, you should tense the involved muscles throughout both directions of the movements, working them both ways. There are a few exercises where that is not possible, and they will be self-evident. A few of the exercises use gravity for resistance of motion, and a few are exertions of the muscles without any motion.

The workout only takes 40 minutes, 4 times per week. It takes a small amount of space, and requires no equipment. It also saves a lot of time not having to go to a gym. Day One really works the chest, shoulder, upper back and triceps. Day Two is a really good leg, buttock, abdomen, lower back, and biceps workout. Both Days end with the same stretching exercises, which stretch the back and leg muscles - and other structures. Your quadriceps, hamstrings, and hip flexor muscles attach to points on your pelvis and low back. When allowed to get too tight, they apply torque on the pelvis and adjacent areas, and put undue stress on the low back. Alternate the workouts, doing each 2 times per week.

Don’t be afraid to drink lots of water during the workout. Especially, if the water is room temperature, a lot can be drank, and fairly rapidly, with no ill effects - and it is very good for you. I go through 3 large 12-ounce glasses - a total of 36 ounces during my workout.

It’s best to get up early and do the workout while you’re fresh.

Copyright 3-12-2001 David B Conrad (feel free to freely distribute, but may not be used for commercial gain.)
Last edited by dconrad000 on August 15th, 2017, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

David13 wrote: July 25th, 2017, 4:16 pm Thanks for posting these Dave.
I was just about to ask you about this type of thing.
We had a family/singles home evening last night and they showed the last half of "What the Health", which covers some of the same stories.
Certainly something I had wanted to start on, and am now more ready to do so.
dc

I hadn't heard of the film, "What the Health" until you mentioned it. I just ran across it on YouTube, watched it, and liked it. My 15-year-old son found it to be interesting and informative. I was already aware of all the information, but some people might be shocked by some of what is revealed. I'll post the 2-minute trailer and the full film, here:

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

"What the Health" film, referenced in the above post is no longer available on YouTube. Here is a link to watch the full film elsewhere:

https://fmovies.is/film/what-the-health.llomz/k8z4ov

I just noticed that you can watch the full film, "Forks Over Knives" there as well:

https://fmovies.is/film/forks-over-knives.6lvvp/j3w042

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

My wife came across this excellent 8-minute video today. A medical doctor in Houston, TX who went with a whole-foods-plant-based diet and incorporated it into his practice with incredible, amazing results:

Dr. Baxter Montgomery

I found this older two-part series about his clinic and practice...well worth watching, as well:

Optimal Health with Baxter Montgomery, M.D. P1/2

Optimal Health with Baxter Montgomery, M.D. P2/2
Last edited by dconrad000 on August 15th, 2017, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Ever since I got my rice cooker I've eaten a ton of rice, been craving it.
Makes a good snack too, my road to better health has been slow but going better all the time, tea is my only real vice though I don't drink it every day.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Here is a true vegan recipe that my grandchildren really like:

Ingredients:

2 cups of finely dessicated unsweetened coconut
1 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
3-5 Tbsp maple syrup
pinch salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Line a standard 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside
Add coconut to a food processor and blend on high until a creamy butter is formed-about 4 min
Add peanut butter and melted coconut oil and process again until well blended.
Add maple syrup to desired sweetness
Add salt and vanilla and mix once more

Transfer mixture to loaf pan and spread evenly. Freeze until firm. Then use a hot knife to slice into even squares. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Last edited by passionflower on August 16th, 2017, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Jenni Broomhead's Story | Discovering the Word of Wisdom
When Jenni Broomhead compared The China Study to the Word of Wisdom, she said, "I knew I never needed or wanted to eat animal products again."
DISCOVERINGTHEWORDOFWISDOM.COM
When Jenni Broomhead compared The China Study to the Word of Wisdom, she said, “I knew I never needed or wanted to eat animal products again.” Even though her family did not join her in that decision, she loves her new diet and the way it makes her feel. The hay fever and asthma are gone . . . along with all the medications she took for them. She also found relief from panic attacks and anxiety. She gained so much for giving up so little! I had the privilege of working with Jenni at the BYU Faculty Center. She is a total delight, and she makes great food!

https://www.facebook.com/discoveringthewordofwisdom/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/w ... broomhead/

Last edited by dconrad000 on August 20th, 2017, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

For anyone who will be in Utah, I'm presenting on the Word of Wisdom on Thursday, August 17 from 12:05 to 12:50 p.m. on the Brigham Young University campus, room 2107 JKB. Here is the description: "Unlike traditional diets which are filled with do's and don'ts, the dietary counsel in the Word of Wisdom is principle based. This allows each of us to seek the Lord’s counsel to apply the wisdom we find in it. In this presentation, Jane Birch will discuss the power of diet in preventing and reversing chronic disease and encourage participants to explore the three dietary principles in the Word of Wisdom. How can this wisdom help us receive health in the navel and marrow in the bones so that the “destroying angel” might pass us by (D&C 89:18-21)?"
I don't believe you need to register to attend!

BYU Wellness
Discovering the Word of Wisdom Unlike traditional diets which are filled with do's and don'ts, the dietary counsel in the Word of Wisdom is principle based. This allows each of us to seek the Lord’s counsel to apply the wisdom we find in it. In this…
WELLNESS.BYU.EDU

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

The next whole food, plant-based potluck in Provo, Utah is on FRIDAY August 25. This is a GREAT way to try a variety of delicious whole food, plant-based foods and to get to know others who are interested in this way of eating.
I also need folks to volunteer to help with set-up, thanks! If you are interested in attending, you can find more info and RSVP here. https://goo.gl/forms/D3RqsdEsLVHubUnv1
Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/events/1714290162212719/

Provo Whole Food, Plant-based Potluck
Whole Food, Plant-based (WFPB) Potluck in Provo, Utah Hosted by Jane Birch Date: FRIDAY, August 25, 2017 Time: 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. (short program about 6:45 pm) Place: Shadowbrook Condo Clubhouse, 3300 N. Shadowbrook, Provo, Utah…
DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

About five minutes into the video "Discovering the Word of Wisdom " there is a series of amazing before and after photos. Today in Meridian Magazine I feature some of the stories behind these before and after photos. Each one tells a powerful tale of the blessings that come from embracing a Word of Wisdom diet. I love these stories; they are about much more than weight loss. They are about faith and hope! The blessings in the Word of Wisdom are not just for a select few; they are for all of God's children!

Discovering the Word of Wisdom: Before and After Photos
Here are three stories of individuals whose lives were transformed by embracing the Word of Wisdom. Each one tells a powerful tale of the blessings that come
LDSMAG.COM http://ldsmag.com/discovering-the-word- ... er-photos/
The stories I’ve shared here are not isolated cases. Many people have amazing stories to tell about transforming their lives by embracing the principles found in the Word of Wisdom. Many of these people are not even LDS and have never heard of the Word of Wisdom, and yet God is leading them to these same principles that are so plainly stated in our scriptures. These are God’s principles for health for all the world, not just Latter-days Saints!

I invite you to take the leap of faith. Let’s have faith in the Lord’s counsel in the Word of Wisdom. Let’s experiment on His word. Let’s have hope that our lives can dramatically improve, no matter what our current situation.

For help on embracing a healthy Word of Wisdom diet, see: “Getting Started on a Whole Food, Plant-based Word of Wisdom Diet”

http://ldsmag.com/discovering-the-word- ... er-photos/

Maria Avery — Lost 122 pounds
Last edited by dconrad000 on August 10th, 2017, 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Whole food, plant-based expert Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, star of Forks Over Knives, will be presenting in Utah this October, along with his wife and many other amazing people at the FIRST EVER whole food, plant-based symposiums in Utah! Be sure to register early to get the discount, as this event is sure to sell out!

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

These are both excellent presentations. Watch the 14 minute one first, and if you have the time and interest, then you can watch the 79 minute one.

Making Heart Attacks History: Caldwell Esselstyn at TEDxCambridge 2011
(14 minute presentation)

Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Caldwell Esselstyn, MD - TTC
Treating the Cause to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease presented by Caldwell Esselstyn, MD at the 2012 annual Enhancing Health with Plant-Based Nutrition medical conference sponsored by Northwest VEG and the Portland Adventist Hospital Association.
(79 minute presentation)

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Woman credits plant-based diet for reversing chronic lung disease, restoring sight

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Forks Over Knives

Two-Minute Trailer

Full Film:

https://fmovies.is/film/forks-over-knives.6lvvp/j3w042

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

2 EXCELLENT documentaries!!!! Wow, it has totally changed my perspective. I cut out meat 2 weeks ago and have gone plant based. (I cut out all dairy a couple of months ago.) Maybe this is the answer I've been searching so long for concerning my health?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

kittycat51 wrote: August 15th, 2017, 2:33 pm 2 EXCELLENT documentaries!!!! Wow, it has totally changed my perspective. I cut out meat 2 weeks ago and have gone plant based. (I cut out all dairy a couple of months ago.) Maybe this is the answer I've been searching so long for concerning my health?
Well, feel free to post your results here, from time to time, as I, and perhaps others need to know.
Thanks
dc

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Dr Neal Barnard: The real cause of type 2 diabetes and why a whole-foods-plant-based lifestyle reverses it.
(1-minute video)

Last edited by dconrad000 on August 23rd, 2017, 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Conversations With Great Minds
Dr. Neal Barnard: Reversing and/or preventing disease with a whole-foods-plant-based foods lifestyle.

Diabetes, Cancer, Alzheimer's, Heart Disease, Stroke, Kidney Disease and many others

Last edited by dconrad000 on August 17th, 2017, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

David13 wrote: August 15th, 2017, 3:08 pm
kittycat51 wrote: August 15th, 2017, 2:33 pm 2 EXCELLENT documentaries!!!! Wow, it has totally changed my perspective. I cut out meat 2 weeks ago and have gone plant based. (I cut out all dairy a couple of months ago.) Maybe this is the answer I've been searching so long for concerning my health?
Well, feel free to post your results here, from time to time, as I, and perhaps others need to know.
Thanks
dc
I am getting a enthused some, too, and I like to try new things, though not too sure how to go about this.

What is the difference between a vegan diet and a plant based diet? When I hear the word "vegan" i get visions of animal rights activists destroying chicken farms, driving butcher shops out of business, and harassing innocent people out fishing for the day.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Definitely plant based and not vegan. Vegans are lunatics and veganism can turn into a religious ideology. Plus, there is what is called "vegan junk food" which isn't particularly health. The idea is to go all plant based, fresh fruit, herbs and vegetables, in season.

This is the ideal.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

passionflower wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:56 pm
David13 wrote: August 15th, 2017, 3:08 pm
Thanks
dc
I am getting enthused some, too, and I like to try new things, though not too sure how to go about this.

What is the difference between a vegan diet and a plant based diet? When I hear the word "vegan" i get visions of animal rights activists destroying chicken farms, driving butcher shops out of business, and harassing innocent people out fishing for the day.
Omnivore - consumes plants and animals. Most people in our society fall into this category.

Vegetarian - does not consume meat, but consumes other animal products such as dairy products and eggs.

Vegan - does not consume animal products.

Someone living a whole-foods-plant-based lifestyle - does not consume animal products, or oil -- and keeps processed foods to a minimum.

Animal rights activist - a whole different category not to be equated with the above definitions. What a person chooses to eat is separate and apart from whether or not they choose to become an animal rights activist.

passionflower wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:56 pmI am getting enthused some, too, and I like to try new things, though not too sure how to go about this.

Here are some resources that should help:

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/getting-started/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/wfpb-guidelines/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/more-resources/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/links-to-recipes/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/wfpb-made-easy/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/q ... start-now/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/q ... 0-percent/

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...another outstanding presentation by Dr Neal Barnard, who stands the conventional approach on its head:

A New Nutritional Approach to Type 2 Diabetes - Dr. Neal Barnard

Neal D. Barnard (born 1953) is an American doctor, author, clinical researcher, and founding president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM). As of 2015, he is an adjunct associate professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences.[1] He founded the Barnard Medical Center in 2016.[2][1][3]
Barnard has written 17 books about nutrition, including the Dr. Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes and 21-Day Kickstart and Power Foods for the Brain.[1]
He appears in the 2011 documentary feature film Forks Over Knives, a film that traces the careers of T. Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn.[4] He also appears in the documentary Mad Cowboy.
[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_D._Barnard
Last edited by dconrad000 on August 19th, 2017, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

It's interesting to see more people wanting to eat this way. When I got sick years ago I prayed for help because I was looking at a future of steroids and eventually cyclosporine. The answer was, of course, I needed to follow the word of wisdom. No, like, actually follow it. I will never be "cured", but I went from being barely able to get out of bed to being up and working from 7am to 8pm. Of course, I still have the occasional sick day, (the Lord needs to keep my pride in check) but I truly feel like the promise to run and not be weary has been manifested in my life. To those with chronic pain or fatigue, it really feels like a miracle.