New Self-Reliance Program... Economic Collapse Ahead?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: New Self-Reliance Program... Economic Collapse Ahead?

Post by Matchmaker »

shadow wrote: July 16th, 2017, 11:24 pm The new church program might be a sign that there are many more years of a good economy. One of the worst things to do just prior to an economic collapse is to start a business. Most small business start-ups fail already but to start a business just prior to a collapse is almost a guarantee fail. During economic downturns people tend to hold on to their money, not spend it on whatever business you just started.
You are the voice of reason. Let's hope you are right and that the inevitable is delayed at least a few more years.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Glad to see there is discussion on this new program. Our Stake just introduced it to our area.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

shadow wrote: July 16th, 2017, 11:24 pm The new church program might be a sign that there are many more years of a good economy. One of the worst things to do just prior to an economic collapse is to start a business. Most small business start-ups fail already but to start a business just prior to a collapse is almost a guarantee fail. During economic downturns people tend to hold on to their money, not spend it on whatever business you just started.
Elder Richard L. Evans said: “Some of the brethren … approached [President Wilford Woodruff] and … inquired of him as to when he felt the end would be—when would be the coming of the Master? These, I think, are not his exact words, but they convey the spirit of his reported reply: ‘I would live as if it were to be tomorrow—but I am still planting cherry trees!’ I think we may well take this as a page for our own book and live as if the end might be tomorrow—and still plant cherry trees! In worrying about things that are beyond our reach, we should not overlook our opportunities with our own families and friends; in worrying about possible eventualities we should not neglect the things that need to be done here and now, and that are within our reach” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1950, 105–6).

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

mirkwood wrote: July 18th, 2017, 10:37 am
Elder Richard L. Evans said: “Some of the brethren … approached [President Wilford Woodruff] and … inquired of him as to when he felt the end would be—when would be the coming of the Master? These, I think, are not his exact words, but they convey the spirit of his reported reply: ‘I would live as if it were to be tomorrow—but I am still planting cherry trees!’ I think we may well take this as a page for our own book and live as if the end might be tomorrow—and still plant cherry trees! In worrying about things that are beyond our reach, we should not overlook our opportunities with our own families and friends; in worrying about possible eventualities we should not neglect the things that need to be done here and now, and that are within our reach” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1950, 105–6).
I've heard that saying too, and concur with it.
Just one point though; we'll still need cherry trees in the millennium.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Robin Hood wrote: July 18th, 2017, 10:45 am
mirkwood wrote: July 18th, 2017, 10:37 am
I've heard that saying too, and concur with it.
Just one point though; we'll still need cherry trees in the millennium.
And gold and silver, too.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

And gold and silver, too.

I don't know about silver, but the Lakota People here call gold 'that yellow rock that makes Wasichus (white people) crazy'.

My son & I just read 3Nephi 16 this morning. Serious warnings to the latter-day Gentile - both in and out of the Church.

Last summer a sacred Council fire was started by the Elders at Standing Rock, across the Missouri River from where I live. Indigenous delegates representing over 200 Nations came from all over the earth to join that Council. When the camp was abandoned in December, coals from the sacred fire were carried outward to their own lands in order to strengthen the resolve to protect Turtle Island - to Honor the The Creator and the Creation.

Something momentous is unfolding. There is a great struggle ahead. We need to be sure we are in tune with our intended destinies. Whatever work we undertake needs to be in harmony with the Holy Spirit as we transition into being a ZION People.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Years ago now, back in the early 1970s if my memory serves me right, our stake president and his wife were planning and had saved for a trip to the "Holy Land". But as the wife told my wife, they felt inspired to donate that money to the fund for building the Washington, D.C. Temple, which they did.