Net Neutrality: Day of Action

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Net Neutrality: Day of Action

Post by Durzan »

For your information, July 12 is going to be a day action for websites in support of Net Neutrality. Lets all make sure we stay vigilant in our support of free and fast internet!

For those of you who don't know, Net Neutrality is defined as "the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites."

Government regulations upholding Net Neutrality were put into place in 2015, but now there is a decent chance that those regulations will be repealed. In an age where most people have access to the wealth of information that is the Internet, there is concern that destroying Net Neutrality will result in the restriction of information. In other words, you would be subject to censorship on the whims of greedy cooperations and possibly the US government as well. Internet speeds would also be affected.

Since freedom of information is a much needed part of free speech and other issues, I am in full support of Net Neutrality, even though I tend to lean towards the conservative side of things more often than not.

http://www.cc.org/fast_facts_conservati ... neutrality
Last edited by Durzan on July 11th, 2017, 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: Net Neutrality: Day of Action

Post by Rose Garden »

Why?

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

Why? Well...
Durzan wrote:Government regulations upholding Net Neutrality were put into place in 2015, but now there is a decent chance that those regulations will be repealed. In an age where most people have access to the wealth of information that is the Internet, there is concern that destroying Net Neutrality will result in the restriction of information. In other words, you would be subject to censorship on the whims of greedy cooperations and possibly the US government as well. Internet speeds would also be affected.

Since freedom of information is a much needed part of free speech and other issues, I am in full support of Net Neutrality, even though I tend to lean towards the conservative side of things more often than not.
This quote has been edited into my first post.

welmer11
Hi, I'm new.

Post by welmer11 »

Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Medium all raised to support “Day of action to Save Net Neutrality”. We should also support the idea and become the part of the bigger picture.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Oh, sorry. I meant, why is it a big day for net neutrality?

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

Tomorrow is the day that big internet companies such as Facebook and Google are going to actively protest the FCC's proposal to remove the regulations that enforce Net Neutrality. Other companies are joining the fray as well. AT&T is joining on the side of the internet companies. People will be encouraged to to join the protest and be vocal to both the FFC and to Congress about this issue.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Oh, gotcha.

Google vs. the government. What a showdown that will be!

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

Welp, today's the day!

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

Durzan wrote: July 10th, 2017, 3:35 pm For your information, July 12 is going to be a day action for websites in support of Net Neutrality. Lets all make sure we stay vigilant in our support of free and fast internet!

For those of you who don't know, Net Neutrality is defined as "the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites."

Government regulations upholding Net Neutrality were put into place in 2015, but now there is a decent chance that those regulations will be repealed. In an age where most people have access to the wealth of information that is the Internet, there is concern that destroying Net Neutrality will result in the restriction of information. In other words, you would be subject to censorship on the whims of greedy cooperations and possibly the US government as well. Internet speeds would also be affected.
Am I the only one here who feels uneasy about our benevolent federal government having its tentacles in this?

http://www.cc.org/fast_facts_conservati ... neutrality
I figured more people on the freedom forum would be against giving the federal government more power.

Edit- I didn't mean for that to sound harsh. Maybe I am wrong (it has happened before) or maybe I don't have the facts straight but it's hard for me to trust the same entity that's managed to ruin almost everything it has touched since its inception. The GOVERNMENT is going to make sure the internet is fair and free?