The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

What do the scriptures teach us about the earth?

The Earth is a globe.
67%
The Earth is Flat like a terrarium (a dome).
14%
The Earth is a globe and hollow.
15%
The Earth is Flat and hollow.
3%

Total votes: 98
diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by diligently seeking »

This video is pretty compelling to me representing spherical proof... Also, I am always impressed, for the most part, how the flat folk give countering evidence. I would be curious to learn what they think about the video. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/LwZel_emm3Y

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by braingrunt »

I'm uploading another flat earth debunk video:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Robin Hood wrote: May 24th, 2017, 2:18 am The LDS Church does not own a satellite.
It buys commercial satellite facilities for broadcasts.
:-? I did not know that. I thought they owned the satellite(s) they used.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

braingrunt wrote: May 27th, 2017, 11:30 pm I'm uploading another flat earth debunk video:

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Kids enjoyed this.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Kitkat,
What is the force, in your understanding, which accelerates us downward?

wargames83
captain of 100

Post by wargames83 »

Helaman 12:15 says that the Earth moves relative to the Sun and not the other way around. Surely that contradicts the Flat Earth model.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

Kitkat wrote: January 5th, 2017, 5:21 pm Anyone have any thoughts as the why the UN has the flat earth map on their flag? A false flag perhaps :D
The UN is a global organization. If it tried to portray the world as it appears naturally on it's flag, there would be only one half represented.

There are true conspiracies and conspiring men out there. But when we read too much into things we risk 1. drawing false conclusions and 2. tainting our more viable evidence.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

braingrunt wrote: May 31st, 2017, 10:47 am Kitkat,
What is the force, in your understanding, which accelerates us downward?
Research electromagnetic or plasma universe. Electricity and magnetism in our current understanding can explain the theory of gravity.

Here is one Flat Earth proposal (not what we think or understand as of yet):
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki ... ge=Gravity

Here is one initial video I found (mute the volume and try to get through the point - kinda hard with this video, not the best put together, still searching):

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Electromagnetic Induction replaces gravity.
This one is a little better:
HISTORY IS POP CULTURE....

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Kitkat wrote: June 1st, 2017, 5:57 am Electromagnetic Induction replaces gravity.
Read Cotterell's theory on gravity, "How Gravity Works"--it's electricity and magnetism.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Kitkat wrote: June 1st, 2017, 5:57 am Electromagnetic Induction replaces gravity.
His video just raises more question without really answering anything. Wipe out all that stuff about magnetism being important and stronger, cuz nobody's arguing; and what we are left with are two possible explanations about what keeps the sun and moon up. Not a single attractive force was shown in that video so I don't know how it explains downward force at all. (the quantum pinning on the underside of the track, even if it could be argued to be an attractive force, is poor explanation because quantum pinning is not interested in bringing the puck any closer; and to the best of my knowledge, I am not a superconductor.)

To the best of my understanding induction is also completely incapable of producing attractive forces, and all the examples in that video bear this out. The concept of induction is that using varying fields and currents, we can produce a like variation in a nearby conductor. And like fields always repel.

And even his theory of how the sun and moon levitate seems like a mess to me. For the sun, he proposes induction--for the moon, quantum pinning. Both are magnetic in nature but behave very differently. For induction you need a wildly varying electromagnetic field -- as soon as the field is at rest, there's no more induction and no force. And the varying field would make your compass go nuts, surely.

Quantum pinning requires a highly static but non-uniform magnetic field. If it's too uniform it won't pin. The idea of those tracks is to create uniform fields along the path of the track but non-uniform off the sides, which keeps the puck in the track but free to move along it. if you put the puck over a single magnet it wouldn't want to move in ANY direction. If you put it over a huge sheet of magnets with uniform field, it would go anywhere, including down. If the field looks the same it doesn't care.

if you mix the two together, a wildly varying field which could cause induction in the sun, and a superconducting moon, I predict havok. That moon would probably squirt around the sky like a mad mayfly trying to chase the spot of field it likes. That would be a fun experiment for them to put their puck over that induction plate although maybe they'd want to stand behind some protective gear.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

I have made another video:

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Good morning from NASA!

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Okay, I must admit, that pic is pretty cool, regardless of whether it is actually real or not.

(It probably is photoshopped.)

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

If the Earth is flat, and I started off flying from California, why would I end back in California if I flew in that direction long enough?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Joel wrote: August 19th, 2017, 7:34 am Good morning from NASA!

:)) :))

MollyMom
captain of 10

Post by MollyMom »

Joel wrote: November 14th, 2017, 11:58 am

http://fe2017.com/
Hey not fair. Anyone could take a camera into a mental institution and find “eccentric types” who believe in the spinning space ball and make the globe model sound nutty. Ad hominem is not an argument.

bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Post by bradfordjames8 »

This is painful.

Going all the way back to the Babylonians and the Assyrians they knew that there was a curvature of the earth. Matter of fact their mathematics was as good as ours and they could see that.

one of the chief ways early societies knew that the world was flat was that early explorers noticed very quickly at the farther south they got, the star constellations in the sky were altered. They could not see the same constellations from the southern hemisphere that they could from the Northern Hemisphere. That's because when they cross the Equator The curvature of the earth obscured the constellations in the northern sky.

second of all I want you to think about this really really hard. Ancient map makers and explores all knew the world was round. All the way back to the Greeks. And so you are saying that the conspiracy for the round earth is so vast and so immense that every single culture going back to the Ancients is involved in it.

So you single out NASA. And make some ridiculous conspiratorial Claim about NASA. But what about all the mathematics and experience that shows that the world was round before NASA ever existed? Was Magellan deluded into believing that was he circumnavigating the globe? Was Horatio Nelson and every single captain in the British Navy foolish and diluted when they wrote in their daily logs about seeing the Horizon and crossing over it heading to the South on a globe?

Let's broaden the scope of here. You are a certain that every single ship captain has ever sailed from Japan to California is falsifying there evidence. Or that every single aircraft and ship that has ever passed between the islands in the Atlantic or Pacific is also fabricating their experience.

Let us think about this another way you are also asserting that every single aircraft pilot that has ever flown either private. commercial or military from one location on the globe to another is fabricating their flight logs their records and their experience.

This argument will lump many General authorities in the church including, Elder Uchtdorf, into its evil satanic deception. If he were look you in the eye and say the "world is round I know because I have flown around it" would you believe him? Because that is his experience.

I mean seriously has every single person that has ever observed the status of the world been involved in a conspiracy? Or is it that you have been misguided buy a conspiracy.

Finally consider this. There are thousands Latter Day Saints, members of the church, who have taken out covenants and oath same as you, who have not only been to space, but are also rocket scientist, aviators, astronomers mathematicians aeronautical engineers and all other areas of study which pertain not only to Aviation but space travel. according to your logic this secret combination, to hide from people the nature of the curvature of the earth, is so Grand and so complex and so fast and so stretching that it includes all of these people including members of your own church and individuals who have served in positions of trust as called general authorities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Because I know at least half a dozen aviators and a multiple former NASA people who are either currently serving or have served as Regional authorities, Bishops and State presidents. And every single one of them down to the letter will look you in the eye and tell you that the Earth is round because many of them have actually seen it with their eyes. They have been the space or to the edge of space and can testify to the magnitude of God's creation.

Are you willing to look all of them in the eyes and tell them that their first-hand experience and their knowledge is false and condemn them for being part of a satanic conspiracy which only you and a handful of other YouTube videos profess to have knowledge of?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

This guy needs help. The pictures didn't come over with the copy/paste.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/11/23/780 ... nch-himse/

Man who thinks the earth is flat will launch himself in a rocket he built in his own backyard

Mike Hughes stands beside his steam-powered rocket, which he built from salvaged parts. Mike Hughes stands beside his steam-powered rocket, which he built from salvaged parts. WALDO STAKES/AP
AP | November 23, 2017
The countdown to launch creeps closer and there’s still plenty for self-taught rocket scientist "Mad" Mike Hughes to do: Last-second modifications to his vessel. Pick up his flight suit. Leave enough food for his four cats — just in case anything happens.

Hughes is a 61-year-old limo driver who’s spent the last few years building a steam-powered rocket out of salvaged parts in his garage. His project has cost him $20,000, which includes Rust-Oleum paint to fancy it up and a motor home he bought on Craigslist that he converted into a ramp.

His first test of the rocket will also be the launch date, Saturday, when he straps into his homemade contraption and attempts to hurtle over the ghost town of Amboy, California.

The ruins of Amboy School are seen in Amboy along historic Route 66 at Mojave Trails National Monument on August 27, 2017 near Essex, California. DAVID MCNEW/GETTY IMAGES

He aims to send himself 1,800 feet high in the air at a speed of 500 mph before deploying his parachutes — and he'll be streaming it online.

"If you’re not scared to death, you’re an idiot," Hughes said . "It’s scary as hell, but none of us are getting out of this world alive. I like to do extraordinary things that no one else can do, and no one in the history of mankind has designed, built and launched himself in his own rocket."

Hughes is confident this will mark the first step toward proving the Earth is flat, after all.

"I don’t believe in science," said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction."

The daredevil/limo driver has been called a little bit of everything over his career — eccentric, quirky, foolhardy. Doesn’t bother him. He believes what he believes, including that the Earth is flat. He knows this thought is a conundrum, given that he’s about to launch himself into the atmosphere.

"I’m a walking reality show," he says.

Hughes only converted to the flat-Earth belief recently, shortly after his first fundraising campaign for the rocket, which earned just $310. His second campaign reached its $7,875 goal, thanks, in part, to the support of the flat-Earth community.

"I've been a believer for maybe almost a year. I researched it for several months in between doing everything else — you know, I've still got to make a living and all that kind of stuff, and building this rocket actually eats up a lot of my time," he told the flat-Earth Web show. "But when I'm not doing that, I research things."

Amboy Crater is an extinct cinder cone volcano located along Route 66 in the Mojave Desert. Just east of Los Angeles, the Mojave Trails National Monument spans 1.6 million acres and includes mountain ranges, fossil beds and sand dunes. Amboy Crater is an extinct cinder cone volcano located along Route 66 in the Mojave Desert. Just east of Los Angeles, the Mojave Trails National Monument spans 1.6 million acres and includes mountain ranges, fossil beds and sand dunes. BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT / FLICKR CREATIVE COMMONS
Saturday's attempt isn't his first launch. In 2014, Hughes constructed and launched a rocket. He jumped on a private property in Winkelman, Arizona, and traveled 1,374 feet, about a quarter-mile, before he pulled his parachutes. He said two of the parachutes were at least 20 years old at the time and one didn't open.

He collapsed after that landing — the G-forces taking a toll — and needed three days to recover.

That distance, though, would’ve been enough to clear the Snake River Canyon, which is a jump daredevil Evel Knievel made famous when he failed to clear it during his attempt in 1974. Stuntman Eddie Braun did successfully zoom over the canyon — using Knievel’s original blueprints — in September 2016.

Just don’t mention Knievel around Hughes. He’s not a fan.

"He was an average stunt guy," said Hughes, a former motorcycle racer. "He stole his look from Elvis."

Hughes constructed his latest rocket at the "Rocket Ranch" in Apple Valley, California. It’s a five-acre property he leases from Waldo Stakes, the CEO of Land Speed Research Vehicles who’s currently working on a project to make a car travel 2,000 mph.

Their relationship formed a few years ago when Hughes approached Stakes about building a rocket. Stakes receives plenty of these sorts of requests, but this one stood out because Hughes was building it himself.

"Nothing is out of reach," Stakes said. "Anything can be done. You just have to put enough money, time and thought into it."

Here’s the thing: Hughes doesn’t make all that much money — $15 per hour as a limo driver, plus tips. That’s why he’s scrounged for parts, finding the aluminum for his rocket in metal shops and constructing the rocket nozzle out of an aircraft air filter. He gave it a good varnish of cheap paint, and his launch pad is attached to a motor home he bought for $1,500.

"I want to inspire others — and you have to do something incredible to get anybody’s attention," Hughes said.

The location of the jump will be Amboy , a ghost town in the Mojave Desert and along historic Route 66. The fictional town of Radiator Springs in the Disney movie "Cars" was loosely based on Amboy.

Hughes got permission from the town’s owner, Albert Okura, who purchased the rights to Amboy in 2005 for $435,000. The launch will take place on an air strip next to a dilapidated hangar.

"It is absolutely the most wacky promotional proposal I have had since I purchased the entire town in 2005," said Okura, who’s also the founder of the Juan Pollo restaurant chain. "He is a true daredevil and I want to be part of it."

On the morning of the launch, Hughes will heat about 70 gallons of water in a stainless steel tank and then blast off between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. He plans to go about a mile — reaching an altitude of about 1,800 feet — before pulling two parachutes. They’re discouraging fans — safety issues — but it will be televised on his YouTube channel . He said he’s been in contact with the Federal Aviation Administration and the Bureau of Land Management.

Following his jump, he said he’s going to announce his plans to leap into the race for governor of California.

No joke.

His future plans include an excursion into space. He and Stakes have already brainstormed on a "Rockoon," which is a rocket that, rather than being immediately ignited while on the ground, is carried into the atmosphere by a gas-filled balloon, then separated from the balloon and lit. This rocket will take Hughes about 68 miles up.

First things first — this jump over a ghost town. He will be tinkering with his rocket right up to takeoff.

"A guy who builds his own rocket in his garage, about to jump a mile is pretty cool," Hughes said. "It’s the most interesting human-interest story in the world."

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 1:22 pm This guy needs help. The pictures didn't come over with the copy/paste.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/11/23/780 ... nch-himse/

Man who thinks the earth is flat will launch himself in a rocket he built in his own backyard
And this has what to do with the topic?? :roll:

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

If the earth is flat, why is it when I was in Japan on my mission and spoke with my family on Christmas Day around noon while the sun was shining, that my family told me it was dark on Christmas Eve? Seems to me that if the earth was flat, the sun would be shining on all the face of the earth at the same time.