The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

What do the scriptures teach us about the earth?

The Earth is a globe.
67%
The Earth is Flat like a terrarium (a dome).
14%
The Earth is a globe and hollow.
15%
The Earth is Flat and hollow.
3%

Total votes: 98
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by Silver Pie »

gclayjr wrote: May 4th, 2017, 4:48 pm Silver Pie,

We are in the Northern Hemisphere, and so is both China and the Former USSR. If you dig from anywhere in either Great Britain, or The USA, you will end up somewhere in the southern Hemisphere, probably in the Ocean.

Regards,

George Clay
Now, I'm trying to visualize that. I was thinking that I would be digging straight through, from western hemisphere to eastern hemisphere if I went straight down. I looked at pictures of a globe and I can see how the hole would angle somewhat toward the southern hemisphere if I went straight down. I guess I need an actual globe to see where I might end up.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by gclayjr »

Silver Pie,
Now, I'm trying to visualize that. I was thinking that I would be digging straight through, from western hemisphere to eastern hemisphere if I went straight down. I looked at pictures of a globe and I can see how the hole would angle somewhat toward the southern hemisphere if I went straight down. I guess I need an actual globe to see where I might end up.
Actually Silver didn't precisely say that kid's analogy. If you dug a hole THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, you would end up in the southern hemisphere. If you just dug a hole into the earth, I guess you could come out anywhere including in your neighbor's yard.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

gclayjr wrote: May 5th, 2017, 5:59 am Silver Pie,
Actually Silver didn't precisely say that kid's analogy. If you dug a hole THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, you would end up in the southern hemisphere. If you just dug a hole into the earth, I guess you could come out anywhere including in your neighbor's yard.

Regards,

George Clay
You people appear to be perfectly impervious to that pox I pronounced on everyone who persisted in posting here.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

gclayjr wrote: May 5th, 2017, 5:59 am Silver Pie,

Regards,

George Clay
True. Very true.
Silver wrote: May 5th, 2017, 6:47 am You people appear to be perfectly impervious to that pox I pronounced on everyone who persisted in posting here.
:))
I was wondering what those dots were that keep appearing on my arms. :-ss

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

I definitely am not Savvy with this debate. I have probably read 20 posts on this thread that consists of hundreds of posts. I'm sure there's compelling educational information for both camps of thinking on this extensive thread. I work at Hill Air Force Base. I asked two F-22 pilots yesterday if it's possible to go high enough in the Earth's atmosphere to where you can see the curvature of the Earth. Both said they had seen it and that you have to go way up there 48 to 50,000 feet. One of the pilots with countenance of, I don't know how else to say this, JOY said "it is really cool to see". I then told them why I asked the question because of the debate that's out there... They both shared passionate opinions about their iincredulity of why people believe the Earth is flat... anyways thought I would share.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

Silver wrote:
You people appear to be perfectly impervious to that pox I pronounced on everyone who persisted in posting here.
Perhaps the pox you pronounced pales in performance as per the previous posters' persistence and propensity to procrastinate the threads passing? I thought I would just help you out with your p's and q's. :p :D

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

kenssurplus wrote: May 9th, 2017, 10:39 pm
Silver wrote:
Perhaps the pox you pronounced pales in performance as per the previous posters' persistence and propensity to procrastinate the threads passing? I thought I would just help you out with your p's and q's. :p :D
Thanks for noticing. I hate when good material goes to waste.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

19 billion a year and we still only get CGI composite earth images. Just one simple video of earth , from a few thousand miles out (like the satalites that do the same), rotating for 24 hours is all we ask. 19 billion... Greatest ponzi scheme of all time, theft of the American Tax payers like we haven't even begun to understand.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/file ... 5_2017.jpg
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/file ... posite.png

Look at Chile in South America, it practically touches Antartica.

https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/com ... e_nasa_19/

One simple video. 19 billion.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

This guy does better than NASA and he doesn't need 19 billion, just maybe 19 dollars.
https://youtu.be/9Q8PwcDzb8Y
https://youtu.be/6GLIbPKpgQ4

Syn
captain of 50

Post by Syn »

Vsauce asks the question... is the earth flat?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJ ... nel=Vsauce[/youtube]

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Syn wrote: May 18th, 2017, 11:22 pm Vsauce asks the question... is the earth flat?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJ ... nel=Vsauce[/youtube]
And a comment below the video worth repeating:
Jacob Koste2 weeks ago
The flat earth society has members all around the globe.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

KitKat,
19 billion a year and we still only get CGI composite earth images. Just one simple video of earth , from a few thousand miles out (like the satalites that do the same), rotating for 24 hours is all we ask. 19 billion... Greatest ponzi scheme of all time, theft of the American Tax payers like we haven't even begun to understand.
For a conspiracy person like you, one can never prove a negative. They are out there, you will just self determine that they aren't real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAhWL3Vhjc

http://www.spaceadventures.com/10-best- ... stronauts/

How about Go Pro?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 72507.html

That is the problem with conspiracy folks, no facts will ever penetrate their fevered conspiratorial beliefs! Even a conspiracy so ridiculous that for it to be true, millions of people over centuries have to all collude together just to hide the fact that the earth is not a globe!... For what purpose?..

KitKat. Do you use GPS, Cell phones? watch TV? What keeps all of those satellites you are personally using, motionless above your flat earth?

Regards,

George Clay

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gclayjr wrote: May 19th, 2017, 5:43 am

KitKat. Do you use GPS, Cell phones? watch TV? What keeps all of those satellites you are personally using, motionless above your flat earth?
A lot of people who subscribe to the flat earth view do not accept that there are any satellites, so the question isn't particularly relevant.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Syn wrote: May 18th, 2017, 11:22 pm Vsauce asks the question... is the earth flat?
This entire video is based on the premise of a flat disc spinning. The flat earth the scriptures hint towards is not spinning, it is stationery, and the dome above spins perfectly around it.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

gclayjr wrote: May 19th, 2017, 5:43 am KitKat,
For a conspiracy person like you, one can never prove a negative. They are out there, you will just self determine that they aren't real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAhWL3Vhjc

http://www.spaceadventures.com/10-best- ... stronauts/

How about Go Pro?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 72507.html

That is the problem with conspiracy folks, no facts will ever penetrate their fevered conspiratorial beliefs! Even a conspiracy so ridiculous that for it to be true, millions of people over centuries have to all collude together just to hide the fact that the earth is not a globe!... For what purpose?..

Regards,

George Clay
Please refrain from putting words in other's mouths (see D&C 121:37) it just doesn't feel right.
For what purpose you ask? Ask the Lord, in that he states, the whole world is deceived - there are your billions rather than millions. Ask Him about it.

Yes, we use GPS, cell phones, no we do not watch TV. We believe satellites can exist, and low earth orbit is very likely within even a domed flat earth. Never stated otherwise.
There has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger [a piece of corn bread] for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle [a wooden mallet]. Even the Saints are slow to understand.

“I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all. How many will be able to abide a celestial law, and go through and receive their exaltation, I am unable to say, as many are called, but few are chosen

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Kitkat,
Yes, we use GPS, cell phones, no we do not watch TV. We believe satellites can exist, and low earth orbit is very likely within even a domed flat earth. Never stated otherwise.
How do they stay up?

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

gclayjr wrote: May 19th, 2017, 7:48 am Kitkat,
How do they stay up?

Regards,

George Clay
dictionary.com
orbit
[awr-bit]

noun
1. the curved path, usually elliptical, described by a planet, satellite, spaceship, etc., around a celestial body, as the sun.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Kitkat,
Please refrain from putting words in other's mouths (see D&C 121:37) it just doesn't feel right.
Where did I err?
Will any facts penetrate your beliefs?

I rose to your Challenge, then I predicted how you would respond.
19 billion a year and we still only get CGI composite earth images. Just one simple video of earth , from a few thousand miles out (like the satalites that do the same), rotating for 24 hours is all we ask.
I provided non CGI images, in fact images that have not been edited at all., so did I err here?
What word did I put into you mouth that doesn't fit your fanciful view of the universe?

Regards,

George Clay

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

gclayjr wrote: May 19th, 2017, 7:48 am Kitkat,
How do they stay up?

Regards,

George Clay
No need for tens of thousands of miles per hour gravity stories any more. Gravity has been and still is a THEORY. Tesla had it figured out along with others it seems.
https://youtu.be/Ws6AAhTw7RA
https://youtu.be/AU0q4wVohF8
Comparing these two simple illustrations to "how something can stay up" kinda makes the THEORY of gravity seem foolish.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

19, b.b.b.billion!

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

Kitkat wrote: May 21st, 2017, 12:01 am No need for tens of thousands of miles per hour gravity stories any more. Gravity has been and still is a THEORY. Tesla had it figured out along with others it seems.
Speaking of Nikola Tesla . . .
When the great truth accidentally revealed and experimentally confirmed is fully recognized, that this planet, with all its appalling immensity, is to electric currents virtually no more than a small metal ball and that by this fact many possibilities, each baffling imagination and of incalculable consequence, are rendered absolutely sure of accomplishment; when the first plant is inaugurated and it is shown that a telegraphic message, almost as secret and non-interferable as a thought, can be transmitted to any terrestrial distance, the sound of the human voice, with all its intonations and inflections, faithfully and instantly reproduced at any other point of the globe, the energy of a waterfall made available for supplying light, heat or motive power, anywhere—on sea, or land, or high in the air—humanity will be like an ant heap stirred up with a stick: See the excitement coming! — "The Transmission of Electric Energy Without Wires," 1904
Now please consider the electrically charged terrella (small metal ball) experiment

What happens when the suns electric "Birkland" currents hit earth?
Credit: ISS/BASA

Kristian Birkeland (Birkeland currents named after him) investigated the cause and nature of the Earth's aurora. Based on his observations, Birkeland hypothesized that electric currents in the atmosphere whose source was the Sun itself powered the aurora. On returning to the University of Oslo, Birkeland set about testing his ideas. He built a vacuum chamber and placed a magnetized metal ball called a terrella inside it, representing the Earth. Birkeland electrically charged the terrella and the chamber at varying magnitudes and polarities and observed how the terrella behaved in its artificial atmosphere.

Birkelands personal terrella experiments

Got to run.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

kitkat,
Comparing these two simple illustrations to "how something can stay up" kinda makes the THEORY of gravity seem foolish.
You have got to be kidding!

Look at that second picture, and read the title. There is an electric cord connected to a source of electricity. Turn off the electricity and electro magnets lose their charge and everything falls to the ground!

Heck a Helicopter can stay in one place forever, if it never runs out of fuel. There are no electromagnetic coils on the satellites, and they are not running any engine that never runs out of fuel!

I shouldn't do it , but I will help you out to make a better false illustration. Take two permanent magnets, and tie them to a string with the same poles facing each other and one will stay up forever!

First of all, there are no magnetic forces around that could keep 2 poles miles apart, and second of all, if there was such a thing, virtually any steel, iron, or other ferro metal item on the planet would go flying away.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

George,

The following could be beneficial in removing furrow in your brow.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

- Crowd: A witch! A witch! A witch! We found a witch! We've got a witch! A witch! A witch! We have found a witch. May we burn her?
- How do you know she is a witch
- She looks like one.
- Bring her forward.
- I'm not a witch! I'm not a witch !
- But you are dressed as one.
- They dressed me like this. - No, we didn't.
- And this isn't my nose. It's a false one.
- Well? - We did do the nose.
- The nose? - And the hat. But she is a witch !
- Did you dress her up like this? - No, no!
- Yes. A bit.
- She has got a wart.
- What makes you think she's a witch?
- She turned me into a newt!
- A newt?
- I got better.
- Burn her anyway!
- Quiet! Quiet!
- There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
- Are there? What are they? Tell us. - Do they hurt?
- Tell me, what do you do with witches?
- Burn them!
- And what do you burn, apart from witches?
- More witches! - Wood!
- So why do witches burn?
- 'Cause they're made of wood? - Good!
- How do we tell if she is made of wood? - Build a bridge out of her.
- But can you not also make bridges out of stone?
- Oh, yeah.
- Does wood sink in water?
- No, it floats. - Throw her into the pond!
- What also floats in water?
- Bread. - Apples.
- Very small rocks. - Cider! Great gravy.
- Cherries. Mud. - Churches.
- Lead. - A duck!
- Exactly.
- So, logically--
- If she weighs the same as a duck...
- she's made of wood.
- And therefore?
- A witch!
- A duck! A duck! - Here's a duck.
- We shaIl use my largest scales.
- Burn the witch !
- Remove the supports!
- A witch!
- It's a fair cop.
- Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?
- I am Arthur, king of the Britons.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

But the LDS Church is one of those companies who have a satellite orbiting the earth.
Robin Hood wrote: May 19th, 2017, 6:04 am

A lot of people who subscribe to the flat earth view do not accept that there are any satellites, so the question isn't particularly relevant.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Silver Pie wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 9:43 pm But the LDS Church is one of those companies who have a satellite orbiting the earth.
Robin Hood wrote: May 19th, 2017, 6:04 am

The LDS Church does not own a satellite.
It buys commercial satellite facilities for broadcasts.