"Visions of Glory" a false book

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Spider
captain of 100

Re: "Visions of Glory" a false book

Post by Spider »

I read the book as an interesting theory. I don't know if it is true or not but it gave me things to think about.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

thisisspartaaa wrote:Jesus is glory. He wouldn't hide it. Second, God has said how he runs his Church. There is no secret sustaining. This is one amongst many reasons why this book is false.
So... according to you the Bible is false. The Bible clearly tells the story of Cleopas and his buddy walking to Emmaus when some stranger, who appeared to be a normal person, joined them and chatted with them during the walk. It wasn't until Jesus handed over some bread that they finally recognized who the stranger was. The Savior must have hidden His glory in order to not be recognized. Or how about when some stranger tells a couple of unlucky fishermen to toss their net out on the other side of the boat? How could everybody present have not recognized a divine presence unless He hid His glory?

Can you point out statements in scripture (obviously not including the Bible) or from modern prophets to support you belief that Jesus would not hide His glory?

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

Even if Spencer saw this detailed vision, we would be wise to assume some of it is not literal.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Spider wrote:Even if Spencer saw this detailed vision, we would be wise to assume some of it is not literal.
Naturally. Spencer even stated there were parts that he felt weren't literal. And we have to remember that when someone shares a vision or revelation they have seen, though we may gain something from the account, we should not think it applies literally in our lives.

I believe Visions of Glory contains a true account. I believe Spencer really had the experiences he claims to have had. But I don't believe that it is gospel truth for any of us.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

thisisspartaaa wrote:
Juliet wrote:If we want to get to know the Lord we have to be more sci fi in our thinking. It is time for the Sci Fi Revolution. We cannot have a millennium with world peace without some significant changes in our reality, thinking, and technology. The earth has been striving for 7000 years and we still end up killing each other off in war.

I believe the book to be true. I believe we Astral travel in our dreams. I believe the Lord has so much for us that He cannot give us because of unbelief. It is time to wake up, folks. People like Dave Hodges and Simon Parkes will tell you star trek was written to ease the public into understanding the truth. As Neal A Maxwell said, "we are not alone in the universe."

Part of being humble is being teachable. How can anyone use past experience as a guide as to what to accept and what to dismiss? What if babies did that. What if they come out believing they have no parents because they didn't see them the last 9 months? With all due respect, be a little more open to things. You might learn something.
You're free to believe what you want but others have their beliefs and can disagree with yours. Astral projection is satanic. And no, we don't need to get more sci fi in our thinking.

Ridiculous.
John 10:18
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.

Jesus Astral traveled. And He still does because that is how the prophets communicated with Him before they saw Him face to face.

Here it says in Ether 12:20:
19 And there were many whose faith was so exceedingly strong, even before Christ came, who could not be kept from within the veil, but truly saw with their eyes the things which they had beheld with an eye of faith, and they were glad.

So the eye of faith is how Jesus communicates with us before we are able to see Him face to face, as Moroni did, and testifies of at the end of the chapter.

All the stuff people make up, it is all based off of spiritual reality, or we wouldn't have the ability to understand or create it. That is why Jesus considered even thinking about committing adultery is actually doing it in your heart, because our thoughts and feelings are real matter that resonate at frequencies that human eyes and ears cannot detect but spiritual eyes and ears can detect.

Everything we learn in the temple is to help us identify the beings we deal with in the spirit realm. We don't have to be dead before utilizing the powers that are given to us in the temple endowment.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

There are lot's of things wrong with the book. Some major doctrinal issues etc.
However, some of the little things also struck me.
At one point he says that the conference centre avoided the flooding, but later when there is a conference held there he said the water line could be clearly seen on the wall.
The epic journey from SLC to Cardston, Alberta and then all the way down to Missouri was another problem for me. He mentioned a couple of times how walking all that way took it's toll on their clothes and that they became rags. No mention of feet or footwear.

I know these are just little things, but they struck me as odd when I read the book.

Mcox
captain of 100

Post by Mcox »

Juliet, clearly you are involved with energy healing. Run away from it as fast as you can!

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Juliet wrote:
thisisspartaaa wrote:
Juliet wrote:If we want to get to know the Lord we have to be more sci fi in our thinking. It is time for the Sci Fi Revolution. We cannot have a millennium with world peace without some significant changes in our reality, thinking, and technology. The earth has been striving for 7000 years and we still end up killing each other off in war.

I believe the book to be true. I believe we Astral travel in our dreams. I believe the Lord has so much for us that He cannot give us because of unbelief. It is time to wake up, folks. People like Dave Hodges and Simon Parkes will tell you star trek was written to ease the public into understanding the truth. As Neal A Maxwell said, "we are not alone in the universe."

Part of being humble is being teachable. How can anyone use past experience as a guide as to what to accept and what to dismiss? What if babies did that. What if they come out believing they have no parents because they didn't see them the last 9 months? With all due respect, be a little more open to things. You might learn something.
You're free to believe what you want but others have their beliefs and can disagree with yours. Astral projection is satanic. And no, we don't need to get more sci fi in our thinking.

Ridiculous.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.

Jesus Astral traveled. And He still does because that is how the prophets communicated with Him before they saw Him face to face.

19 And there were many whose faith was so exceedingly strong, even before Christ came, who could not be kept from within the veil, but truly saw with their eyes the things which they had beheld with an eye of faith, and they were glad.

So the eye of faith is how Jesus communicates with us before we are able to see Him face to face, as Moroni did, and testifies of at the end of the chapter.

All the stuff people make up, it is all based off of spiritual reality, or we wouldn't have the ability to understand or create it. That is why Jesus considered even thinking about committing adultery is actually doing it in your heart, because our thoughts and feelings are real matter that resonate at frequencies that human eyes and ears cannot detect but spiritual eyes and ears can detect.

Everything we learn in the temple is to help us identify the beings we deal with in the spirit realm. We don't have to be dead before utilizing the powers that are given to us in the temple endowment.
:-o Last I checked the Gospel and Occult beliefs do not mix. You are believing false doctrine.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

brianj wrote:
Spider wrote:Even if Spencer saw this detailed vision, we would be wise to assume some of it is not literal.
Naturally. Spencer even stated there were parts that he felt weren't literal. And we have to remember that when someone shares a vision or revelation they have seen, though we may gain something from the account, we should not think it applies literally in our lives.

I believe Visions of Glory contains a true account. I believe Spencer really had the experiences he claims to have had. But I don't believe that it is gospel truth for any of us.
Did he also say that travelling back in time was also not literal?

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

GrandMasterB wrote:
Juliet wrote:
thisisspartaaa wrote:

Ridiculous.

:-o Last I checked the Gospel and Occult beliefs do not mix. You are believing false doctrine.
The Occult for all intents and purposes means abusing children for power. No, I do not believe in that. But the scriptures incessantly talk about the mysteries of God.
I was doing some hypnosis by Michael Sealey, and I prayed to know if it was OK, or if it was new age mumbo jumbo that I should leave alone. Well, I flipped open the scriptures to Ether 4: 12-15, which I felt was the Lord talking right to me in answer to my prayer:

12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.

13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.

14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.

15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.

In the Bible, there is a verse that says the outward man perisheth, but the inward man is renewed day by day. Psychology is aware we all have a subconscious mind that is like a supercomputer. Perhaps the portals to God are found through exploring this inward world we all have.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Juliet wrote:
GrandMasterB wrote:
Juliet wrote:
thisisspartaaa wrote:

Ridiculous.

The Occult for all intents and purposes means abusing children for power. No, I do not believe in that. But the scriptures incessantly talk about the mysteries of God.
I was doing some hypnosis by Michael Sealey, and I prayed to know if it was OK, or if it was new age mumbo jumbo that I should leave alone. Well, I flipped open the scriptures to Ether 4: 12-15, which I felt was the Lord talking right to me in answer to my prayer:

12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.

13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.

14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.

15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.

In the Bible, there is a verse that says the outward man perisheth, but the inward man is renewed day by day. Psychology is aware we all have a subconscious mind that is like a supercomputer. Perhaps the portals to God are found through exploring this inward world we all have.
Except the early apostles warned against energy practices and stated that they are the doctrines of the devil. I hope you get back on the strait and narrow way and soon.

BTW the Occult means supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena. Some common synonyms are the supernatural, the paranormal, supernaturalism, magic, black magic, witchcraft, sorcery, necromancy, wizardry, the black arts, occultism, diabolism, devil worship, devilry, voodoo, hoodoo, white magic, witchery, mysticism; raretheurgy. Not sure where you get abuse of children for power from.

You also say you were doing some hypnosis and then prayed. Sounds like you may have opened a portal to Satan through hypnosis prior to praying. You should have prayed first. Then again you may have opened those portals through energy healing and mesmerism as well.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

GrandMasterB wrote:
Juliet wrote:
GrandMasterB wrote:
Juliet wrote:

Except the early apostles warned against energy practices and stated that they are the doctrines of the devil. I hope you get back on the strait and narrow way and soon.

BTW the Occult means supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena. Some common synonyms are the supernatural, the paranormal, supernaturalism, magic, black magic, witchcraft, sorcery, necromancy, wizardry, the black arts, occultism, diabolism, devil worship, devilry, voodoo, hoodoo, white magic, witchery, mysticism; raretheurgy. Not sure where you get abuse of children for power from.

You also say you were doing some hypnosis and then prayed. Sounds like you may have opened a portal to Satan through hypnosis prior to praying. You should have prayed first. Then again you may have opened those portals through energy healing and mesmerism as well.
If that is the case then pray for me because I am in need of it!

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Juliet wrote:
GrandMasterB wrote:
Juliet wrote:
GrandMasterB wrote:

If that is the case then pray for me because I am in need of it!
I shall.

Mcox
captain of 100

Post by Mcox »

Juliet, I will pray for you too. Remeber to stay within the mainstream of the church and you will find safety. There you will find the mysteries. We live in a scary time where satans cunning skills are leading even the elect away from the truths of the gospel. The gospel of Jesus Christ is simple yet sublime. Stay away from anything that has to do with energy work. I too was involved in energy, and I can testify that there are evil spirits, (that appear as angels of light)attached to this work. You are stronger then you think. Turn to the Savior for help, and turn to your local leader, he will help you. You are not alone.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

GrandMasterB wrote:
brianj wrote:

Did he also say that travelling back in time was also not literal?
No, but why should such a thing be too hard for God? If He has a purpose for any of us that involves time travel, it will happen.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

The temple/tabernacle being flooded sounds like he read The Folk of the Fringe and he's just having flashbacks while sleeping. Fun read The Fringe is, and just as plausible as anything from the near-deathers, dreamers and visionaries.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Col. Flagg wrote:Only read one chapter and when he mentioned that Christ appeared in the Conference Center in a suit just after a big earthquake and flood, that was when I put it down and deemed it bogus.
A friend told me about this scene from the VoG book, all I could picture was Evan Almighty.

Here is a picture that is less funny, it causes me to pause and consider (consider what He looks like, not the book)

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/lucky ... s.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I will not put Jesus in a box. He can do whatever he wants. We have scriptural evidence already that he time travels. Why couldn't he appear to us in the Conference Center in a suit and tie with his hair trimmed, if he so chose to? If he did not want to draw attention to himself and wanted to mingle among his Saints unnoticed, the suit would work better. I think he would look more out of place in open toed sandals and long hair.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Matchmaker wrote:I will not put Jesus in a box. He can do whatever he wants. We have scriptural evidence already that he time travels. Why couldn't he appear to us in the Conference Center in a suit and tie with his hair trimmed, if he so chose to? If he did not want to draw attention to himself and wanted to mingle among his Saints unnoticed, the suit would work better. I think he would look more out of place in open toed sandals and long hair.
Where is that scriptural evidence that he time travels? Pray tell.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Zion2080 wrote:Have you read it before? The first time I read through it I knew it was completely false. I prayed about too and I did not receive conformation that it was true. John Pontius and his friend Spencer are clearly delusional. The end was like "Seriously? You saw all of it. I don't believe it one bit." Any thoughts you would like to share on this book?
Chapters 1 through 6 felt right, after that, it was like the spirit said enjoy but don't cling to any of it.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

GrandMasterB wrote:
Matchmaker wrote:I will not put Jesus in a box. He can do whatever he wants. We have scriptural evidence already that he time travels. Why couldn't he appear to us in the Conference Center in a suit and tie with his hair trimmed, if he so chose to? If he did not want to draw attention to himself and wanted to mingle among his Saints unnoticed, the suit would work better. I think he would look more out of place in open toed sandals and long hair.
Actually, it was Spencer that was time travelling as he stepped into his mirror / portal / teleporter that was in his office in the NJ temple right next to Christ's office! Which of course happened after he shape-shifted into the form of a girl (For those of you who have not read this book, no I'm not making that up).

=))

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

DesertWonderer wrote:
GrandMasterB wrote:
Actually, it was Spencer that was time travelling as he stepped into his mirror / portal / teleporter that was in his office in the NJ temple right next to Christ's office! Which of course happened after he shape-shifted into the form of a girl (For those of you who have not read this book, no I'm not making that up).

=))
I really don't recall time travel. And, though I recall him appearing in disguise, I don't recall him ever claiming to have appeared as a little girl.

If the Savior can change His appearance so He can spend a couple hours chatting with people who knew Him, why do you consider it so unreasonable that this power could be delegated to us for righteous purposes?

DRC53
captain of 100

Post by DRC53 »

In fact, he specifically said that males were always disguised as male and females as female. He didn't say anything about shape-shifting. He referred to appearing in disguise. There are certainly scriptural references to people seeing another differently than he may actually appear. I can understand the book raising questions to consider, but if you're going to assert something about the book as evidence that the book is false, you should be careful to be sure that you are correct in the assertion (i.e., he never said that he shape-shifted into a little girl).

While I don't have personal knowledge of this, I understand that "Spencer" was called to a meeting with the Brethren to including an Apostle regarding the book. Ultimately, Spencer was vindicated and subsequently called as a bishop which is his current calling.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

DesertWonderer wrote:

=))
Is this what you are referring to desertwonder?

" It may seem strange that we were changed, but history is filled with stories of angels appearing in many forms, sometimes as old men, young women, or even a child’s playmate. Yet we know that angels are ageless and not old or young, so they obviously come to us in the form that blesses us most. The only difference here was that we were now those angels. Male angels always appeared as male, and females always appeared as female, but in any guise we were inspired to take."

If not could you direct me to where he said he shape shifted into a girl? Or are you just making that up?
Last edited by Todd on January 11th, 2017, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DRC53
captain of 100

Post by DRC53 »

Todd wrote:
DesertWonderer wrote:

=))
Is this what you are referring to desertwonder?

" It may seem strange that we were changed, but history is filled with stories of angels appearing in many forms, sometimes as old men, young women, or even a child’s playmate. Yet we know that angels are ageless and not old or young, so they obviously come to us in the form that blesses us most. The only difference here was that we were now those angels. Male angels always appeared as male, and females always appeared as female, but in any guise we were inspired to take."

If not could you direct me to where he said he shape shifted into a girl? Or are you just making it up?
Thank you for pulling out the actual language from the book, Todd!

As to the larger question about the book, from what I understand, there were numerous edits that Spencer made in an effort to clarify and correct certain parts of the book, which did not make it to the published book. I wish we could see those edits. With the author (and I'm assuming owner of the rights to the book) being deceased, I'm not sure how difficult that would be ... meaning I don't know if there are legal hoops to get those corrections published.

Somebody on this thread, or elsewhere, said or implied that Spencer made money from the book. From what I have read, Spencer did not receive any money from the book.