Julie Rowe to write a third book

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Re: Julie Rowe to write a third book

Post by AI2.0 »

Stahura wrote:I think the reason that people are drawn to people like Julie Rowe and others like her is that they say "this will happen , and then this will happen, and this specific city will have this, and this specific disaster will occur , for these reasons you need food storage or this or that"

So it's very specific.
The prophets have been saying to prepare, but they have been vague as to what will happen. That's probably why people heed the words more willingly of others.
Idk
I agree, that's one reason. I think also it is that people are more excited by drama and mysteries--believing they are special because they've found this book that tells them about the future. Some people are drawn to the excitement of catastrophes, living in tent cities, fighting off the wicked etc. I think they are bored with what they see as mundane day to day life. They want to look forward to chucking it all and moving to tent cities where they can live out a more exciting life. Listening to General Conference, doing the mundane things like home teaching, visiting teaching, serving in callings, following the commandments, then going to work, making a living, doing the cleaning, laundry, childcare, cooking, attending school, are not exciting. Notice that many movies start out with a person living a regular life of mundane activities where they are a nobody, then something happens and they become the hero as every day is filled with adventure, action and intrigue.

How can the church leaders message of a simple life of following the Master, serving, caring for our families, going to church etc. possibly compete with Julie Rowe's message that we'll very soon be living in a blockbuster disaster movie?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I love sister Rowe, just the same as I love Rewcox, AI2.0, Tom Monson, robin hood, stahura, a random phrase, ajax and boo.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

Please inform me to the character and contraversy concerning the authors writings.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

I think this is a big part of it. People are hungry to know the future, and to know it in detail. When someone purports to have that knowledge, they gain followers. Yet, in the scriptures, it seems that detailed knowledge is quite often not there. It is only after something has happened that people can understand the prophecies about it - for the most part.
Stahura wrote:I think the reason that people are drawn to people like Julie Rowe and others like her is that they say "this will happen , and then this will happen, and this specific city will have this, and this specific disaster will occur , for these reasons you need food storage or this or that"

So it's very specific.
The prophets have been saying to prepare, but they have been vague as to what will happen. That's probably why people heed the words more willingly of others.
Idk

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I know I have a short attention span. Instant gratification! It so much easier to drop a few bills and read such books (true or not) than to make the painful climb to obtain knowledge of God and all things from the beginning to end as the brother of Jared did, as Nephi did, as Moses did...

I think it is more comforting for most to be assured that something is true, which isn't true rather than seeking truth. We don't like to go very far outside our comfort zones. We don't like being comfortable with getting uncomfortable.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

marc wrote:I know I have a short attention span. Instant gratification! It so much easier to drop a few bills and read such books (true or not) than to make the painful climb to obtain knowledge of God and all things from the beginning to end as the brother of Jared did, as Nephi did, as Moses did...

I think it is more comforting for most to be assured that something is true, which isn't true rather than seeking truth. We don't like to go very far outside our comfort zones. We don't like being comfortable with getting uncomfortable.
marc - I have always had a different opinion of the Brother of Jared, in terms of the "painful climb" you reference. It seems to me he prayed before the tower episode, got specific promises and answers, was led to the seashore, was chastised after a long time of forgetting to pray, repented, was given more promises and divine assistance, saw the finger of Jesus, saw the rest of Jesus, saw a great vision, and carried on. I'm sure he was a righteous man, with the effort and work attending such a status, but is that a lot different than many people I know who strive and strive and seek for the same blessings? Maybe BoJ was just one of those needed, chosen souls (like Moses, Enoch, Alma the Younger, (S)Paul or Joseph Smith) who had an easier time getting a connection behind the veil, with less "pain" than we experience. Not seeking to contend, just putting in my thoughts / opinion.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Obrien wrote:
marc wrote:I know I have a short attention span. Instant gratification! It so much easier to drop a few bills and read such books (true or not) than to make the painful climb to obtain knowledge of God and all things from the beginning to end as the brother of Jared did, as Nephi did, as Moses did...

marc - I have always had a different opinion of the Brother of Jared, in terms of the "painful climb" you reference. It seems to me he prayed before the tower episode, got specific promises and answers, was led to the seashore, was chastised after a long time of forgetting to pray, repented, was given more promises and divine assistance, saw the finger of Jesus, saw the rest of Jesus, saw a great vision, and carried on. I'm sure he was a righteous man, with the effort and work attending such a status, but is that a lot different than many people I know who strive and strive and seek for the same blessings? Maybe BoJ was just one of those needed, chosen souls (like Moses, Enoch, Alma the Younger, (S)Paul or Joseph Smith) who had an easier time getting a connection behind the veil, with less "pain" than we experience. Not seeking to contend, just putting in my thoughts / opinion.
It's possible. David who slayed Goliath seemed to be highly favored of the Lord no matter his misdeeds up until he fell. Even then, the Lord promised not to leave him in hell. From his youth, he didn't seem to suffer much pain or rather, he didn't seem to have his Gethsemane moment. We don't know why the BoJ was so favored of the Lord before Jared persuaded him to pray that their language not be altered and to request a land of inheritance. So inserting BoJ into that category was an assumption on my part because it fits the pattern of receiving the Second Comforter.
43 And there will I bless thee and thy seed, and raise up unto me of thy seed, and of the seed of thy brother, and they who shall go with thee, a great nation. And there shall be none greater than the nation which I will raise up unto me of thy seed, upon all the face of the earth. And thus I will do unto thee because this long time ye have cried unto me.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

AI2.0 wrote:

So it's very specific.
Idk
I agree, that's one reason. I think also it is that people are more excited by drama and mysteries--believing they are special because they've found this book that tells them about the future. Some people are drawn to the excitement of catastrophes, living in tent cities, fighting off the wicked etc. I think they are bored with what they see as mundane day to day life. They want to look forward to chucking it all and moving to tent cities where they can live out a more exciting life. Listening to General Conference, doing the mundane things like home teaching, visiting teaching, serving in callings, following the commandments, then going to work, making a living, doing the cleaning, laundry, childcare, cooking, attending school, are not exciting. Notice that many movies start out with a person living a regular life of mundane activities where they are a nobody, then something happens and they become the hero as every day is filled with adventure, action and intrigue.

How can the church leaders message of a simple life of following the Master, serving, caring for our families, going to church etc. possibly compete with Julie Rowe's message that we'll very soon be living in a blockbuster disaster movie?
My thoughts exactly! It's the "Walter Mitty" syndrome. We've been convinced that a simple, peaceful life of dong the right things, loving your family, quietly serving others, and being humble and patient is "weak" or somehow not fulfilling. No we must be "heroes", we must be noticed and revered, and we must be part of the "in crowd" in order to have succeeded in life. Look at the current fascination with "selfies" and posting all sorts of information, videos, pictures and whatever else about yourself on social media sights. Everyone wants to be a star, to get the attention of the crowd, and to be the "admired". Or how about the insane desire to have the right kind of body, be attractive, be "sexy", or to go to extreme lengths to live up to man's idea of "beauty"? It all stems from the same desire for notoriety and esteem. The same failing Satan showed in his rebellion against the Father in the pre-moral world. Does the word "pride" come to mind?.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

kennyhs wrote:Please inform me to the character and contraversy concerning the authors writings.
Julie Rowe wrote a book about a purported NDE which she claimed to have had in 2004 and said that she was not supposed to write about it for about 10 years. Some things in her book are not controversial, they are claims that she saw events in church history, old testament history and these are mostly mainstream. She also encourages readers to listen to the current LDS prophets and be prepared for disasters. This counsel is fine.

What makes her controversial is more what she's said outside her books and the fact that she was posting on a private website for years before her book was published and much of what ended up in her book was originally posted as her dreams. She is an advocate of Energy Healing/Emotion code and is a coach--Energy healing is controversial in itself. She has given numerous firesides and radio interviews and in these she's made specific claims about the church organizing tent cities and the kinds of disasters which are coming and when. She's also given information/predictions about things like Big foot, the Anti christ, ebola, events in the middle east and the future of America.

While some of her claims can also be found in other books by other authors, she has been more successful at marketing her books to a wider audience and she's gained more recognition--to the point that most people are unaware that most of what she claims is not new, but the claims were made by others before her.

If you are interested in reading more about her, there are many threads on this site--just search on her name. There is a thread in the book section, a review of her Book which is very informative.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37001

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

AI2.0 wrote:
kennyhs wrote:Please inform me to the character and contraversy concerning the authors writings.
Julie Rowe wrote a book about a purported NDE which she claimed to have had in 2004 and said that she was not supposed to write about it for about 10 years. Some things in her book are not controversial, they are claims that she saw events in church history, old testament history and these are mostly mainstream. She also encourages readers to listen to the current LDS prophets and be prepared for disasters. This counsel is fine.

What makes her controversial is more what she's said outside her books and the fact that she was posting on a private website for years before her book was published and much of what ended up in her book was originally posted as her dreams. She is an advocate of Energy Healing/Emotion code and is a coach--Energy healing is controversial in itself. She has given numerous firesides and radio interviews and in these she's made specific claims about the church organizing tent cities and the kinds of disasters which are coming and when. She's also given information/predictions about things like Big foot, the Anti christ, ebola, events in the middle east and the future of America.

While some of her claims can also be found in other books by other authors, she has been more successful at marketing her books to a wider audience and she's gained more recognition--to the point that most people are unaware that most of what she claims is not new, but the claims were made by others before her.

If you are interested in reading more about her, there are many threads on this site--just search on her name. There is a thread in the book section, a review of her Book which is very informative.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37001
Thanks, it was nice of you to take the time to reply!

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Only 3 books?!
I've written 5... For shame.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

kennyhs wrote:
Thanks, it was nice of you to take the time to reply!
Sorry it took so long to reply, things have been busy, I often will read threads when I have time, but can't reply until later.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Sandinista wrote:
My thoughts exactly! It's the "Walter Mitty" syndrome. We've been convinced that a simple, peaceful life of dong the right things, loving your family, quietly serving others, and being humble and patient is "weak" or somehow not fulfilling. No we must be "heroes", we must be noticed and revered, and we must be part of the "in crowd" in order to have succeeded in life. Look at the current fascination with "selfies" and posting all sorts of information, videos, pictures and whatever else about yourself on social media sights. Everyone wants to be a star, to get the attention of the crowd, and to be the "admired". Or how about the insane desire to have the right kind of body, be attractive, be "sexy", or to go to extreme lengths to live up to man's idea of "beauty"? It all stems from the same desire for notoriety and esteem. The same failing Satan showed in his rebellion against the Father in the pre-moral world. Does the word "pride" come to mind?.
Suggesting a 'Walter Mitty' syndrome is spot on, and you described it well, Thank you. :)

I also think that Julie Rowe, in particular, may have a need to be in the public spotlight. She has at times said she was ending her public appearances and not writing more books (as I pointed out in my OP), only to turn around a few days later to make announcements which put her BACK in the public arena.

My own opinion is that she enjoys the attention and wants to remain relevant. I don't believe that she's being prompted by God to write this third book and I think she's seems unaware that it hurts her credibility with those who are aware she claimed she would write no more books.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I noticed this article in the the local news about her upcoming book. If she wants to sell books, she should be grateful she's got some detractors--that's what makes a person 'controversial and being controversial brings free publicity. As many of us have mentioned, Julie's claims are not new, but the books before her that told about these things never generated the kind of interest hers do and subsequently will never sell as well as her books.

http://kutv.com/news/local/controversia ... third-book

I think her book being put on the 'spurious' list of materials for seminary and institute put Julie on the radar of the news media. I believe that happened in July or August.
Then, in the beginning of Sept, she was discussed on a Mormonstories podcast; a couple of days later, there was an article on sales of emergency supplies in Utah county and her influence on 'preppers'. Then the National news picked up on the stories of a 'doomsday mormon prophetess'. I think she picked the right time for putting out her books, with the four blood moons and all the excitement of people thinking something big was going to happen in 2015.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

AI2.0 wrote:I noticed this article in the the local news about her upcoming book. If she wants to sell books, she should be grateful she's got some detractors--that's what makes a person 'controversial and being controversial brings free publicity. As many of us have mentioned, Julie's claims are not new, but the books before her that told about these things never generated the kind of interest hers do and subsequently will never sell as well as her books.

http://kutv.com/news/local/controversia ... third-book

I think her book being put on the 'spurious' list of materials for seminary and institute put Julie on the radar of the news media. I believe that happened in July or August.
Then, in the beginning of Sept, she was discussed on a Mormonstories podcast; a couple of days later, there was an article on sales of emergency supplies in Utah county and her influence on 'preppers'. Then the National news picked up on the stories of a 'doomsday mormon prophetess'. I think she picked the right time for putting out her books, with the four blood moons and all the excitement of people thinking something big was going to happen in 2015.
Right you are AI, her timing is spot on and any publicity is good publicity for selling something. Shoot, the church even uses the Book of Mormon musical for missionary work. Julie should stop complaining about people who spread "misinformation" and thank them for the extra book sales.

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Hey guys....just for the sake of objectivity....if Julie Rowe's "new book" is coming out in February 2016, that means she probably already had it written and getting ready to be published before she was talking about "taking her life back" in September 2015.

Writing and publishing a book takes considerable time.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Magus wrote:Hey guys....just for the sake of objectivity....if Julie Rowe's "new book" is coming out in February 2016, that means she probably already had it written and getting ready to be published before she was talking about "taking her life back" in September 2015.

Writing and publishing a book takes considerable time.
You'd think that, especially with a large publishing house, it does take time, but this is not applicable to her books.

Julie Rowe once told about writing her first book--from the beginning when the publisher contacted her to the book being completed and published was like two months. It was similar with her second book--very little time at all. I remember her boasting about how quickly she got the book out after agreeing to write it, so this in not the case.

When she said she was 'taking her life back', I suspect she had not yet realized how much interest had been generated by press coverage in the local and national news--I think after that, she and her publisher recognized that there was a way to market another book (but with the same material from book one and two) to a different audience--a non-member audience.

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Hmm, well, maybe you're right.