Blog: "Julie Rowe is not spurious"

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Curtis99
captain of 10

Blog: "Julie Rowe is not spurious"

Post by Curtis99 »

I found this interesting, coming from a person who knows her personally. :)
http://righteousnotcrazy.com/2015/09/12 ... -spurious/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Julie Rowe is Not Spurious
ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2015 BY EMMA DAYBELL
Julie Rowe is my friend and she is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who fully sustains the prophet.
I want you to know that the message Julie shares is not spurious. It does not contradict the doctrines and teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For me it took what I already knew and focused my attention on what really matters: our Savior, even Jesus Christ.
Elder David A. Bednar challenged the members of the Church to “share goodness” in our online interactions. In the past day or so I’ve noticed that Julie has been very unfairly treated online. There are many people lurking who take any opportunity they can to tear others down; I don’t want their opinions to be the only thing reflecting my friend. So I want to share a little bit about her.
I met Julie through my father, Chad Daybell. My dad is the owner of Spring Creek Book Company, Julie’s publisher. In early 2014 I had just returned to Utah after serving a full-time mission. My dad was planning on writing the third installment in his latest series. However, he was suddenly working tirelessly on a new book collaborating with someone we didn’t know. I was fascinated with my dad’s latest project. (My dad has his own blog and tells more about his experiences working with Julie here.)

Shortly after A Greater Tomorrow was published our family met Julie and her children at the Bean Museum at Brigham Young University. I can’t believe that was only a year ago. This whole project has happened so quickly that my missionary brother has missed the entire thing.
Julie and I hit it off and became quick friends. I was honored when she asked me to be her voice on the audio recording.

Reading these books out loud was a very spiritual experience for me. I recorded during a short span of time between college semesters. The Spirit was there as I read. I felt Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ’s great love for me. I went into that project feeling a little hopeless due to ordinary young adult matters (Was I studying the right major? I had been home from a mission for a year, why wasn’t I married?) but Julie’s books helped me to realign my thoughts with heaven again. God loved me. He was watching out for me in every aspect of my life. I was excited that these books could help other people grow closer to God as well.
I’ve tagged along to several events with Julie Rowe. I never fail to be impressed. Julie is not a snake oil salesman who can talk you into believing anything. She is a humble servant of the Lord who is doing what He has called her to do. He asked her to share her testimony in the form of a book and a few speaking engagements, and she has obeyed even though she knew that everything she held dear would be attacked at every angle.
There have been some who claim to be close to Julie who have treated her very cruelly. This unfortunately is not anything new. I think each of us can think of a time when we’ve been treated poorly for doing what God wanted us to do. Joseph Smith writes of similar experiences in his history: he was “…persecuted by those who ought to have been my friends and to have treated me kindly, and if they supposed me to be deluded to have endeavored in a proper and affectionate manner to have reclaimed me.”
One thing that fascinates me is how the Lord uses ordinary people to complete extraordinary tasks. Julie is by every definition an “ordinary” Mormon woman. She and her husband and children serve quietly in the Church. They are very active and love God.
Julie is not mentally ill or delusional. Julie is not in this in an attempt to make money. She is sharing her testimony of the Savior.
Julie has helped me to recognize my spiritual gifts. Julie follows the Spirit in every aspect of her life and is a living example of President Monson’s counsel “Never postpone a prompting”. For instance, she has this uncanny ability of calling me right when I need someone. Julie has helped me grow closer to our Savior, which is what the best of friends do.
It’s been a bit of a slow news week, and some are taking an internal memo to seminary and institute teachers out of context. It’s true: when teaching the gospel we should not be using materials that are not in the Gospel Library. I think that we could all benefit from spending more time in these great works.
Remember what the 13th Article of Faith teaches us, however: “if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.” Julie Rowe’s account has helped me to grow closer to God. I know that it has helped many others as well.

oxbloodangel
captain of 100

Re: Blog: "Julie Rowe is not spurious"

Post by oxbloodangel »

Thank you for sharing. It is clearly heartfelt. Especially powerful is the Joseph Smith quote about how people ought to have acted and treated him if they truly felt he was deluded. Instead there was anger and mocking.

AgaetisTakk
captain of 100

Post by AgaetisTakk »

Curtis99 wrote:I found this interesting, coming from a person who knows her personally. :)
http://righteousnotcrazy.com/2015/09/12 ... -spurious/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Julie Rowe is Not Spurious
ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2015 BY EMMA DAYBELL...
This domain is registered to Emma Daybell who's credited for helping Julie write her books on Amazon. It's nothing more than a promo for Julie from her publisher who's most likely taking a nice cut of book sales.

Spring Creek Book Company makes it's money off selling LDS people end-of-days fiction.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

Good grief this is appalling if it is coming from her publisher's daughter. At least get someone to give a testimony of you who isn't making a profit or knows someone who is making a profit off of you. This is just cemented how evil all of this is. WOW!!!!

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Thanks for sharing curtis.

I appreciate that this young woman wanted to help her friend and her intentions were good, but given her family financially benefits from Julie's success, I don't think her endorsement is that valuable.

She said this:
Julie Rowe is my friend and she is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who fully sustains the prophet.
I want you to know that the message Julie shares is not spurious. It does not contradict the doctrines and teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
This young woman is sharing her own opinion, which differs for the church's actions. The church DID indeed identify Julie Rowe's first book as 'spurious'--it said 'spurious' at the top of the memo where her book was listed. Also, in contrast to her emphatic insistence that Julie's book 'does not contradict doctrines and teachings of the CofJCofLDS', CES said it 'may' contradict church teachings and doctrines. This is why some are concerned about what Julie is teaching in her book.

Chad Daybell, the blogger's father, is Julie's publisher of both her books and he also published other books, such as Hector Sosa's. He is associated with Roger Young--I believe he is the present owner of AVOW(?) Can anyone confirm this? I'm not on AVOW but I seem to recall reading this somewhere. I would not expect Chad's daughter to NOT support Julie and her father's business and work. AVOW is a pay to post website that appeals to preppers and doomsayers and it also is used to sell products.

The blogger can share her opinions and give her approval of Julie and her books, but it is necessary to weigh her support with the fact that her family financially benefits from Julie's success--and will be hurt if Julie and her books lose credibility among LDS members; LDS members are their principle buying market. I believe the article in the tribune said that Julie has sold over 40,000 books--her two books combined. That is quite impressive; I'm sure the Daybells want to protect their investment as this could hurt future sales.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

As we get closer to tribulations before the coming of Christ. It is stuff like this that will tear the church in half. Just saying. So much pride to "be right", to prove somebody else "wrong". Its an interesting thing to watch.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

On the one hand we have the Church's position and on the other we have Julie's publisher....hmmmm....

Roger Young sold avow to Christopher Parrett a few years ago. He continues to be associated with the site, but I don't know to what degree and do not know for sure that Parrett still owns the site, but I think he does.

JR, while very troublesome, will not tear the church in half.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

AgaetisTakk wrote:This domain is registered to Emma Daybell who's credited for helping Julie write her books on Amazon. It's nothing more than a promo for Julie from her publisher who's most likely taking a nice cut of book sales.

Spring Creek Book Company makes it's money off selling LDS people end-of-days fiction.
I am so glad you are not in my ward. We have wonderful testimonies shared every single week, and fast Sunday can be a real spiritual feast. I can't imagine how chilled and unpleasant it would be if we had somebody like you in the ward, somebody looking to criticize and dismiss everything shared in those testimonies.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

brianj wrote:
AgaetisTakk wrote:This domain is registered to Emma Daybell who's credited for helping Julie write her books on Amazon. It's nothing more than a promo for Julie from her publisher who's most likely taking a nice cut of book sales.

I am so glad you are not in my ward. We have wonderful testimonies shared every single week, and fast Sunday can be a real spiritual feast. I can't imagine how chilled and unpleasant it would be if we had somebody like you in the ward, somebody looking to criticize and dismiss everything shared in those testimonies.
That was pretty harsh. How far are you willing to go in support of this person? Unless you are her husband, why are you saying stuff like this?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

There are so many people talking about the events of the latter days that I think this whole movement is confusing and getting out of hand. The body of the Church and its leaders are being made to appear like fear mongers and sensationalists. If these things don't happen in the sequence these writers are predicting, the Church and its people will look like a bunch of fools. We won't be able to convert anyone to the gospel after that.

Spencer's visions differ from Julie's visions differ from Hector's visions differ from Sarah's visions, etc., who is one person going to believe? If we have read the scriptures, we all know the tribulations are coming and that preparations are in order. Perhaps we would all be safer if we did what we were supposed to do when we hear revelation from others about events that will effect the entire body of the Church, and that is to follow the Prophet.

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

And yet we have to recognize the fact that the Prophet is the one to receive revelation about events that will effect the entire body of the Church.
Not Rowe, Sosa or Spencer. I am definitely of the opinion that these individuals have and will draw negative attention to the church.

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

brianj wrote:

Funny that your user name is "Zionminded".......church officials have called one of Rowes books "spurious", her publishers daughter says otherwise, hmmm......who's input should I consider.........

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Based on the notes from the Rexberg event she predicted two major events this fall. I believe one of them was an economic crash and the other was a major event on the Wasatch Front shortly after fall conference. She didn't specify that this was an earthquake, but some have implied it will be. I will be watching for the colapse and the major event on the wasatch front. If neither happen this fall she will have been discredited in my book.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

markharr wrote:I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Based on the notes from the Rexberg event she predicted two major events this fall. I believe one of them was an economic crash and the other was a major event on the Wasatch Front shortly after fall conference. She didn't specify that this was an earthquake, but some have implied it will be. I will be watching for the colapse and the major event on the wasatch front. If neither happen this fall she will have been discredited in my book.
Totally discredited? What if her dates were off, because the dates were poorly inspired, but the rest or most of her message of being prepared was spot on with some of the things that would happen will, just not as she sees it.

Is it also possible, not all future outcomes people see come about even as they are shown?

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

zionminded wrote:
markharr wrote:I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Based on the notes from the Rexberg event she predicted two major events this fall. I believe one of them was an economic crash and the other was a major event on the Wasatch Front shortly after fall conference. She didn't specify that this was an earthquake, but some have implied it will be. I will be watching for the colapse and the major event on the wasatch front. If neither happen this fall she will have been discredited in my book.
Totally discredited? What if her dates were off, because the dates were poorly inspired, but the rest or most of her message of being prepared was spot on with some of the things that would happen will, just not as she sees it.

Is it also possible, not all future outcomes people see come about even as they are shown?

I stand by my statement. You take a risk when you make prophetic statements. Eventually you will be either proven or disproven by time.

I am not saying I don't believe her, I am saying that I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I think that is a far more reasonable position then most people are taking.

AgaetisTakk
captain of 100

Post by AgaetisTakk »

brianj wrote:

If someone stood up in Testimony Meeting and preached The Gospel of Julie Rowe, I would indeed criticize and dismiss it. I do not have, nor will I ever, have a testimony of Julie Rowe. I do however enjoy hearing peoples testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ and his Prophets and would never criticize them. Just as I'm not criticizing you.

I will however dismiss and negate the spurious attempt of Julie Rowe to extort people for money in exchange for Energy "Healings" and prophecy.

FYI: I would be glad to have you in my ward, heck, even my home, despite our differences.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

markharr wrote:
zionminded wrote:

I stand by my statement. You take a risk when you make prophetic statements. Eventually you will be either proven or disproven by time.

I am not saying I don't believe her, I am saying that I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I think that is a far more reasonable position then most people are taking.
I see prophecy different than you. I think that very few "prophets" are 100% accurate. I think that prophecy is given through our lens of mortality and our own imperfections. I see that the adversary wants us to think that they are all or none, as a way for us to toss the "baby out with the bathwater" so to speak. Take Joseph Smith for example, he didn't nail it 100% of the time, neither did Moses or Nephi.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

mirkwood wrote:On the one hand we have the Church's position and on the other we have Julie's publisher....hmmmm....

Roger Young sold avow to Christopher Parrett a few years ago. He continues to be associated with the site, but I don't know to what degree and do not know for sure that Parrett still owns the site, but I think he does.

Thanks Mirkwood, I believe you are correct. Chad Daybell does not own AVOW, but is a contributor there. I received some clarification on this;
"Roger K. Young used to own AVOW (or whatever it was called in the beginning, many years ago) then sold it to Christopher Parrett, who has run it for the last several years. Roger sold it to Christopher when Roger was called into a Bishopric. It may have been a 'condition' of him being able to accept his new calling, but the timing was interesting and that was the general consensus. Before these books are available at Amazon, etc. AVOW sells them to their paying members marked-up from what you pay on Amazon, etc. so you get them sooner, but pay more (so yes, AVOW is making a profit off these 'prophets'). Daybell, Hector, Julie (well, now just her husband, supposedly) all post on AVOW on a regular basis - as does Mills Crenshaw. They are treated like royalty there.
I am not on AVOW but I have heard others confirm this. They have special status at AVOW. Also, I have seen on Julie's website that she promotes Hector Sosa's book.

I agree, Julie won't 'tear the church in half', she doesn't have enough influence, but if she gains a zealous following, she has the potential to cause some trouble if she were, in the future, to become disaffected from the church. That IS the danger of becoming too invested in some of these self-proclaimed teachers and diviners of end time prophesies.

Now, no one please misread my words. I DID NOT say Julie WAS going to leave the church, I only pointed out the danger to her avid followers if she were to have her own struggles of faith. I could see this happening if she truly believes her own predictions and they don't come true.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

AI2.0 wrote:
mirkwood wrote:On the one hand we have the Church's position and on the other we have Julie's publisher....hmmmm....

Thanks Mirkwood, I believe you are correct. Chad Daybell does not own AVOW, but is a contributor there. I received some clarification on this;
"Roger K. Young used to own AVOW (or whatever it was called in the beginning, many years ago) then sold it to Christopher Parrett, who has run it for the last several years. Roger sold it to Christopher when Roger was called into a Bishopric. It may have been a 'condition' of him being able to accept his new calling, but the timing was interesting and that was the general consensus. Before these books are available at Amazon, etc. AVOW sells them to their paying members marked-up from what you pay on Amazon, etc. so you get them sooner, but pay more (so yes, AVOW is making a profit off these 'prophets'). Daybell, Hector, Julie (well, now just her husband, supposedly) all post on AVOW on a regular basis - as does Mills Crenshaw. They are treated like royalty there.
I am not on AVOW but I have heard others confirm this. They have special status at AVOW. Also, I have seen on Julie's website that she promotes Hector Sosa's book.

I agree, Julie won't 'tear the church in half', she doesn't have enough influence, but if she gains a zealous following, she has the potential to cause some trouble if she were, in the future, to become disaffected from the church. That IS the danger of becoming too invested in some of these self-proclaimed teachers and diviners of end time prophesies.

Now, no one please misread my words. I DID NOT say Julie WAS going to leave the church, I only pointed out the danger to her avid followers if she were to have her own struggles of faith. I could see this happening if she truly believes her own predictions and they don't come true.
I read her books from an interest standpoint. I'm not into NDEs. I didn't think the books were written well at all.

So, where are you planning to take this?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

zionminded wrote:As we get closer to tribulations before the coming of Christ. It is stuff like this that will tear the church in half. Just saying. So much pride to "be right", to prove somebody else "wrong". Its an interesting thing to watch.
This is where you misunderstand my motives and IMO, other's on this forum as well. I'm not trying to 'prove somebody else "wrong"'. If I wanted to do that, I would post in a very different manner and I would not hold back on some of the information I could share.

I believe that each of us has choices to make and I share information to help posters make informed judgements rather than simply allowing their emotions or the crowd mentality to sweep them along.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

rewcox wrote:
I read her books from an interest standpoint. I'm not into NDEs. I didn't think the books were written well at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I have no ulterior motives.

I post on this subject because unlike you, the study of NDE's has been something I have been interested in for several decades. I have a library of these books and I have attended IANDS meetings for years where people who have experienced NDE's share them in person. This is an interest of mine. I have read Julie's first book and I have over time, formed an opinion on her and what she says she experienced and so I share it when the topic of Julie or her books/lectures comes up.

And I agree, 'A Greater Tomorrow' was not well written, but that is not unusual; sometimes the Author will have someone help them write, but many times they write their own books and they are often not well-written.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

AI2.0 wrote:
rewcox wrote:

I post on this subject because unlike you, the study of NDE's has been something I have been interested in for several decades. I have a library of these books and I have attended IANDS meetings for years where people who have experienced NDE's share them in person. This is an interest of mine. I have read Julie's first book and I have over time, formed an opinion on her and what she says she experienced and so I share it when the topic of Julie or her books/lectures comes up.

And I agree, 'A Greater Tomorrow' was not well written, but that is not unusual; sometimes the Author will have someone help them write, but many times they write their own books and they are often not well-written.
Thanks. I think sometimes as people we can get ourselves stirred up over things. If you look back at LDSFF around 2009, you will see similar posts. Are you familiar with any people who have moved because they think something is going to happen?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

rewcox wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:
rewcox wrote:

Thanks. I think sometimes as people we can get ourselves stirred up over things. If you look back at LDSFF around 2009, you will see similar posts. Are you familiar with any people who have moved because they think something is going to happen?
Actually yes, I do know a some people who've moved--some who moved to Missouri (they felt they were prompted to move to be safe from calamities and they did this a couple of years ago). I also know a couple of families who moved up to Idaho to live on large plots of land, away from the cities.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

AI2.0 wrote:
rewcox wrote: Thanks. I think sometimes as people we can get ourselves stirred up over things. If you look back at LDSFF around 2009, you will see similar posts. Are you familiar with any people who have moved because they think something is going to happen?
Actually yes, I do know a some people who've moved--some who moved to Missouri (they felt they were prompted to move to be safe from calamities and they did this a couple of years ago). I also know a couple of families who moved up to Idaho to live on large plots of land, away from the cities.
Dang, do we know the same people AI2.0?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Chad Daybell publishes Chris' books, from what I understand. He published Julie, then published Hector's, then recently he's selling a fiction book about the last-days/call-out on AVOW. I still get the update emails even though I'm not a member anymore. Most recently, he (Chad) has come forth saying it's time to share HIS NDE!!