Backyard Liberty by Alec Deacon, including a word from him.

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: Backyard Liberty by Alec Deacon

Post by freedomforall »

LesliePOV wrote:I was just curious if you knew what type of bug it was and if it had anything to do with the Bug Master 5000 title you have up there.
The bug looks like a bee. Other than that I have no idea. The insect shown could be under special lighting to give it those colors, but I really don't know. Just a wild guess. I suppose that whoever gave me that name associated it with the avatar. The 5000 is for having 5000+ posts.
Bug Master could also mean that I bug people on this forum. But, I cannot read between the lines, so I'll stick with the avatar reason.

Maybe if I started an insect identification thread, someone could identify it. Even I would like to know.
Bright Colored Insect3.jpg
Bright Colored Insect3.jpg (89.39 KiB) Viewed 15743 times
I'm not very inventive or imaginative, so if I can't buy something in kit form with easy to construct directions I don't do well. But I wouldn't want to buy something that has not been time tested for efficiency and reliability. And I would want a system that would produce high yield in little space. Lots of people have working systems that suit them, but what about a system that almost anyone can buy and be extremely pleased with?

What does an evaporator cooler do?

LesliePOV
captain of 100

Post by LesliePOV »

I was talking about a 'swamp cooler' something used in the arid southwest mainly to cool garages, mini-storage and warehouses. It requires about 1/3 the energy to run vs. A/C but adds about 40% humidity to the cooled air. a lot of airborne pollens and dust seem to get 'washed' out of the air to some extent. I am sure that folks who run green houses in warmer, drier environments utilize this...

your insect is probably not a true 'bee' as I don't see two pair of wings. but there are lots of appearance schemes and camouflage that utilize mimicry and distractive deception. '

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

LesliePOV wrote:I was talking about a 'swamp cooler' something used in the arid southwest mainly to cool garages, mini-storage and warehouses. It requires about 1/3 the energy to run vs. A/C but adds about 40% humidity to the cooled air. a lot of airborne pollens and dust seem to get 'washed' out of the air to some extent. I am sure that folks who run green houses in warmer, drier environments utilize this...

your insect is probably not a true 'bee' as I don't see two pair of wings. but there are lots of appearance schemes and camouflage that utilize mimicry and distractive deception. '
I went to a yard sale in SLC, UT a long time ago...the woman running it asked me if I wanted a swamp cooler. I told her no because I didn't own a swamp. She gave me a odd stare and then grinned.

Would an aquaponics system require a lot of major maintenance?

Alec Deacon
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Alec Deacon »

Hey guys,

I'm Alec Deacon and from what i see here, some of you already bought my book on aquaponics. For the ones that still need to be convinced, please check out my site's page on aquaponics and backyard liberty: http://www.myfamilysurvivalplan.com/what-is-aquaponics/

Also please take a look on my site for "Our customers" category where we have some amazing pictures from the people who bought and built the system. It's amazing to see the results from some of us who really put in the extra effort.

Please let me know if you need some detailed answers directly from the source.

Alec

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Alec Deacon wrote:Hey guys,

I'm Alec Deacon and from what i see here, some of you already bought my book on aquaponics. For the ones that still need to be convinced, please check out my site's page on aquaponics and backyard liberty: http://www.myfamilysurvivalplan.com/what-is-aquaponics/

Also please take a look on my site for "Our customers" category where we have some amazing pictures from the people who bought and built the system. It's amazing to see the results from some of us who really put in the extra effort.

Please let me know if you need some detailed answers directly from the source.

Alec
Alec, I didn't mean to seem complacent. My ignorance gets in the way of action. I can't buy something I know little about, let alone not seeing one in action. Too many scams out there. The concept is great. What does a person do that has limited space, are getting too old to run around in the yard a lot, trying to keep it running, or just doesn't have a green thumb? Is there an "aquaponics for dummies" book? :D
One of my friends said the upkeep (maintenance) alone would be costly, is this true?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

CaseyWatts
Hi, I'm new.

Post by CaseyWatts »

LesliePOV wrote:I wonder, considering the AC requirements of the submersible recirculation pump if a 1' x 3' solar panels, (I think my panel is only 35watts) marine storage battery, and a tiny inverter would be enough to power the system pump only?

fascinating. will get back to watching the instructional video... BTW these IBC's (Intermediate Bulk Containers) with tanks and aluminum frames we always called 275gallon 'totes' or 'mini-bulks'.

Our other priority issue during a power outage during in peak summertime in SW Desert is keeping ourselves cool. We are normally running the Evap coolers which we use for summer temps up to 103-109 unless humid and for which we have portable power generation. Assuming I actually got the generator in a sound-insulated enclosure inside the tin shed and a car sized muffler on it-- keep it in garage? hmmm... actually someone (a handy neighbor) from our previous neighborhood was saying how you could bury a plastic 55 gallon drum to run the exhaust into it having fabricated baffles inside for extra quiet? rather dense living here where we are in blue-collar master-planned HOA-ville. I can see 5 backyards from our 2nd story window. and they can see most of mine as well. Harder to be discrete and unnoticed... in such dense residential
'digs'.
I am really not sure about how effective is solar power system..It is bit too expensive so is it really worth or not?