Wild greens; herbs; raw foods; early gardens

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Wild greens; herbs; raw foods; early gardens

Post by BroJones »

The "big" elite evidently hate dandelions:
Attachments
Roundup.jpg
Roundup.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

DrJones wrote:Here's a note about early gardens and TEOTWAWKI... Note the source, survivalblog.com --
http://survivalblog.com/2012/02/surviva ... ndy-m.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Survival Gardening: A Cautionary Tale, by Cindy M.

The important thing is to begin the effort now, before your life depends on it! All the plans, preparation and supplies in the world will not help us if we do not learn to use them, learn what works and learn what does not work. The bottom, bottom line is that I am thankful for the opportunity to practice my garden at a time that the hungry eyes of my kids and grand kids were not looking at me for success. Hopefully when that time comes I will have learned all my lessons and will have a very successful survival garden. In the meantime, we need to practice as though our lives depend on it.
Yes!
And along with that, eat a little food storage, too, and before your life depends on it! We bought some, thinking it was good--opened the bucket, found they were little packets... that we couldn't eat! We'd literally have to be starving before breaking that crap out. It's a good thing we didn't buy a whole lot without trying, and didn't wait until we were hungry before trying.
On the other hand, knowing that if we don't get other food storage, we will HAVE to eat that... inspires me to get food storage!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Good points, JohnnyL:
Yes!
And along with that, eat a little food storage, too, and before your life depends on it! We bought some, thinking it was good--opened the bucket, found they were little packets... that we couldn't eat! We'd literally have to be starving before breaking that crap out. It's a good thing we didn't buy a whole lot without trying, and didn't wait until we were hungry before trying.
On the other hand, knowing that if we don't get other food storage, we will HAVE to eat that... inspires me to get food storage!
My son is eating soaked-wheat quite a lot, and says its fine. The wheat is from a bucket we've had in storage for quite a while. He says soaking for about 32 hours works well, it swells and often starts to sprout. YES-- he is practicing!
And getting used to "uncooked" wheat -- just soaked in water. I admire what he's doing. I've tried soaked oat groats, and they are quite good with a little stevia.

Now --
"opened the bucket, found they were little packets... that we couldn't eat! We'd literally have to be starving before breaking that crap out."
I believe you -- but could you pls tell us what SOURCE or company provided these packets? Something we'd like to avoid! so knowing the source would be helpful.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Soaked triticale was our family favorite for breakfast food. But we tried and ate them all----- We always bought our breakfast grains from the animal feed store, much much cheaper there--

Bob

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

bobhenstra wrote:Soaked triticale was our family favorite for breakfast food. But we tried and ate them all----- We always bought our breakfast grains from the animal feed store, much much cheaper there--

Bob
Good point, Bob.
Here's an interesting email -- I like the idea of using a discarded pallet to build a "vertical garden" when one has limited space (e.g., a balcony of an apartment):
Grow Your Own Herbs and Veggies,
Even if You Live in an Apartment!
Dear Steve,
I can think of a lot of reasons to live in an apartment rather than a house. Apartments are often more secure, you have less upkeep to deal with, and they're often more affordable. Single-dwelling homes have their own set of advantages, such as greater privacy and more outdoor spaces.
Plant
The one big drawback to living in an apartment is you have little if any land. A bit of land can go a long way to making you more self-sufficient, if for no other reason because you can grow some of your own food on it.
But, just because you've opted for apartment living doesn't mean you have to give up on the opportunity to have fresh, nutritious, tasty, garden vegetables that you grew yourself.
You just have to be a little creative with your space, and you can have your own bountiful harvest by the time summer is on its way out. If you have even just a small balcony and a few containers, you can grow vegetables.
Those vegetables can help you cut your food bill, boost your nutrition, and make you more prepared in the event of social chaos or natural disasters.
Plus, starting a balcony garden is easy. Or if you have a single-family home and just don't want to dig up part of your yard for a garden, these ideas can work great for a patio garden.
Let me share a few tips that come from a few of my friends who enjoy gardening...
A Simple Plan Gives You Lots of Veggies...
Even When Space Is at a Premium
When you plant a garden on your balcony, the containers play a big role in how successful your garden will be. Bigger containers – more than a foot in diameter – usually work better because the soil will hold water better and stay healthier, but pick pots that fit your space
Hanging Strawberries
Pick containers that are appropriate to the vegetables you plan to plant in them. For root vegetables like carrots and radishes, use a container that's deep enough for the roots to flourish. Choosing a container with straight sides (like a square or rectangular box) will help prevent crowding.
Tomato and pepper plants need a sturdy pot that won't tip as the plants get heavier. For tomatoes, you'll also want to put a cage around them to keep the plant from breaking at the base. Or you can get an upside-down planter designed specifically for tomatoes.
You can grow cucumbers, beans, and peas on your balcony as long as you give them something to climb. If your balcony wall has slats or bars, those can make the perfect climbing structure for these kinds of vegetables.
You can grow almost any type of vegetable you can think of in your balcony garden, but do a little research and select plants that grow well in your climate and that won't get so big as to take over your balcony. Certain kinds of zucchini or melons, for example, may grow too large to fit comfortably on a balcony.
An Easy Guide to Happy Plants
Most vegetables thrive in full sun, so do your best to position your containers where the vegetables will get at least six hours of sunlight a day. Water your container garden daily. Containers dry out faster than a plot garden will, so make sure the soil for each plant stays moist, but not soaked. Occasionally add some liquid fertilizer to your water to feed your container plants.
Before planting, make sure each of your pots has a good drainage system. The easiest way to do this is to line the bottom of each pot with rough gravel before adding in the soil. Use a potting soil that's designed for container gardening – you'll get better results.
Want More Space – Go Vertical!
Hanging Strawberries
When you have a balcony garden, space is always at a premium, so look for ways to make the best use of the real estate you have.
For example, consider buying a few containers that will hook onto and hang over the outside edge of your balcony. Suspended there, these containers will expand your growing space significantly. And they look nice, too. Just be sure to plant lighter vegetables like spinach, lettuce, or green onions in these pots so they don't become too heavy. If that happened, the hooks holding them in place might give out!
One of the best ways to make the most of your limited space on a balcony is to plant vertically. A pallet is one cheap and easy way to create a vertical garden space. It works especially well for growing herbs and salad greens.
Getting Started Is Easier Than You Think
Threat of EMP
You can usually pick up a discarded pallet for nothing by asking the manager at your local grocery store or home center. Cover the bottom, sides, and back with landscaping fabric. Use a staple gun to hold the fabric in place. Make sure it's stretched nice and tight – the fabric's job is to help hold the soil in place, so you don't want a lot of give in it.
While your pallet is lying flat, plant your first plants in the holes across the top. Fill the pallet with two large bags of potting soil, and plant the rest of your plants tightly in the exposed spaces between slats.
The trick to a successful pallet garden is to really pack your plants in tight, with little to no space in between so they hold the dirt in place. It's also helpful to let the pallet lay flat for at least a couple of weeks for the roots to take hold and keep the soil in place. Then, you can lift the pallet up and lean it against a wall. You'll have a beautiful garden that grows good things to eat while taking up hardly any space at all.
There Are Actually Some Advantages to Apartment Gardening
In some ways, gardening in containers on your balcony is actually easier than tending a garden plot. You have complete control over the soil. Bugs and slugs are less of an issue. Weeds are hardly a problem at all. You can even control the weather to some degree, moving your plants inside when the weather's not agreeable.
With just a little time and attention, you can turn your apartment balcony or back patio into a miniature food factory that will help you be ready for anything.
Yours in Savvy Preparation,
Lee Bellinger
Lee Bellinger, Publisher
Independent Living
P.S. – Becoming more resilient in ALL areas of your life is just plain smart. You don't have to pursue every self-reliance measure, but any step you take will either save you money or make you more secure.

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

DrJones wrote:The "big" elite evidently hate dandelions:
Don't worry, my research on "Round-up Ready" dandelions is almost complete. Next, stop all those GMO fields!!!
BWAA HAHAHAHA!

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Post by Fairminded »

AGalagaChiasmus wrote:
DrJones wrote:The "big" elite evidently hate dandelions:
Don't worry, my research on "Round-up Ready" dandelions is almost complete. Next, stop all those GMO fields!!!
BWAA HAHAHAHA!
I predict visitors in black suits and sunglasses at your door in 3...2...1

(No, I'm not talking about missionaries)

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Post by Fairminded »

I think it's a great mark of the strength of an idea when it combines aesthetics, utility, and ease of implementation. Or in other words function, form, and simplicity.

A good example of this in gardening is wood chips. Used as a ground cover around the desirable plants, spreading wood chips takes only a slight bit of extra work. The wood chips hold in moisture, keeping the ground damp, as well as turning what otherwise might be dust or rock hard clay into rich soil perfect for growing. Simplicity and utility. And not only that, wood chips greatly reduce the need for weeding, and give the desirable plants an attractive background, creating less work down the road and appealing to aesthetics.

Past gardens I've attempted have often withered in the late summer due to insufficient watering and the brutal direct sunlight baking the ground to cracked clay they had trouble surviving in. Hopefully with wood chips that fate can be prevented this year.

karen2cruise
captain of 100

Post by karen2cruise »

dlbww wrote:A couple of years ago a client gave me the book, "Alkalize or Die" by Baroody which caused us to rethink our diet again. Greens are very alkaline and very good for the body. We've incorporated them into our morning smoothie; almond milk, ground flax seed, frozen fruit, frozen berries, psyllium husks, food grade diatomaceous earth (for heavy metals), protein powder, spinach, etc. About the soaked wheat: "Acid-forming grains become alkaline forming when sprouted" and remain so if cooked at under 150F (Alkalize or Die). And most berries are very alkaline so I've been increasing the number and variety of berry vines/bushes on the property. Thus far we have strawberries, currants, blue honeysuckle, raspberries, blackberries, hardy kiwis, blueberries, loganberries and tayberries.
Do you have a recipe for that smoothie? With my son's colitis we have gone "all natural" and use all those ingredients you listed. This son, age 24, just said the other day "mom, I really like going all natural health food now. I can really tell the difference and dont even enjoy regular food any more" yeah! :)) (he used to live off pizza and, quesadillas and fast food- he whined and moaned for months during the switch in diet).

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

karen2cruise wrote:
dlbww wrote:A couple of years ago a client gave me the book, "Alkalize or Die" by Baroody which caused us to rethink our diet again. Greens are very alkaline and very good for the body. We've incorporated them into our morning smoothie; almond milk, ground flax seed, frozen fruit, frozen berries, psyllium husks, food grade diatomaceous earth (for heavy metals), protein powder, spinach, etc. About the soaked wheat: "Acid-forming grains become alkaline forming when sprouted" and remain so if cooked at under 150F (Alkalize or Die). And most berries are very alkaline so I've been increasing the number and variety of berry vines/bushes on the property. Thus far we have strawberries, currants, blue honeysuckle, raspberries, blackberries, hardy kiwis, blueberries, loganberries and tayberries.
Do you have a recipe for that smoothie? With my son's colitis we have gone "all natural" and use all those ingredients you listed. This son, age 24, just said the other day "mom, I really like going all natural health food now. I can really tell the difference and dont even enjoy regular food any more" yeah! :)) (he used to live off pizza and, quesadillas and fast food- he whined and moaned for months during the switch in diet).
I hope the colitis is improving. I watched the documentary "Forks over Knives" again recently and recall one of the doctors/researchers saying that (in his opinion) all chronic illness could be cured through diet.

I don't really measure the ingredients however the approximate amounts (for two people) are: 3T fresh ground flax seed, 2 cups frozen fruit (I try to use berries), 1T psyllium husks (I've increased the flax seed to 3T and now omit this), 2T food grade diatomaceous earth (I am detoxing mercury so I've added this, I also take chlorella, cilantro, DMPS injections, a mineral suppliment, etc.), two scoops of protein powder, 1T dried kale and beets greens mixed (or you can use a greens powder, I just happened to dehydrate the greens and thought I'd use it somewhere I can't taste it), 1T size piece of ginger (I keep the ginger root in the freezer), 1/2 cup kefir (I make this myself) and enough unsweetened almond milk to mix in the blender. You can add more fresh greens if you'd like especially for later in the day (fruit gives you energy, greens heal).

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

Last year I weeded less and harvested more. Some of the plants in my yard and general area made it into blog posts on my website, with photos, descriptions, scientific names, and how to use the plants.

http://www.theprovidenthomemaker.com/1/ ... art-1.html- Lambsquarter/wild spinach; Prickly Lettuce; Cleavers (EXCELLENT for cleansing your system); Shepherds' Purse; Dandelion; Common Mallow/Cheeseweed; Redstem Filaree/Storksbill.

http://www.theprovidenthomemaker.com/1/ ... art-2.html Oxeye Daisy; Purslane; Blue Mustard; Thistle; Curly Dock; Redroot Pigweed (Amaranth family); Flax.

If I get on the ball, there will be at least one or two more posts coming.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Grow Your Own Herbs and Veggies,
Even if You Live in an Apartment!
Dear Steve,
I can think of a lot of reasons to live in an apartment rather than a house. Apartments are often more secure, you have less upkeep to deal with, and they're often more affordable. Single-dwelling homes have their own set of advantages, such as greater privacy and more outdoor spaces.
Plant
The one big drawback to living in an apartment is you have little if any land. A bit of land can go a long way to making you more self-sufficient, if for no other reason because you can grow some of your own food on it.
But, just because you've opted for apartment living doesn't mean you have to give up on the opportunity to have fresh, nutritious, tasty, garden vegetables that you grew yourself.
You just have to be a little creative with your space, and you can have your own bountiful harvest by the time summer is on its way out. If you have even just a small balcony and a few containers, you can grow vegetables.
Those vegetables can help you cut your food bill, boost your nutrition, and make you more prepared in the event of social chaos or natural disasters.
Plus, starting a balcony garden is easy. Or if you have a single-family home and just don't want to dig up part of your yard for a garden, these ideas can work great for a patio garden.
Let me share a few tips that come from a few of my friends who enjoy gardening...
A Simple Plan Gives You Lots of Veggies...
Even When Space Is at a Premium
When you plant a garden on your balcony, the containers play a big role in how successful your garden will be. Bigger containers – more than a foot in diameter – usually work better because the soil will hold water better and stay healthier, but pick pots that fit your space
Hanging Strawberries
Pick containers that are appropriate to the vegetables you plan to plant in them. For root vegetables like carrots and radishes, use a container that's deep enough for the roots to flourish. Choosing a container with straight sides (like a square or rectangular box) will help prevent crowding.
Tomato and pepper plants need a sturdy pot that won't tip as the plants get heavier. For tomatoes, you'll also want to put a cage around them to keep the plant from breaking at the base. Or you can get an upside-down planter designed specifically for tomatoes.
You can grow cucumbers, beans, and peas on your balcony as long as you give them something to climb. If your balcony wall has slats or bars, those can make the perfect climbing structure for these kinds of vegetables.
You can grow almost any type of vegetable you can think of in your balcony garden, but do a little research and select plants that grow well in your climate and that won't get so big as to take over your balcony. Certain kinds of zucchini or melons, for example, may grow too large to fit comfortably on a balcony.
An Easy Guide to Happy Plants
Most vegetables thrive in full sun, so do your best to position your containers where the vegetables will get at least six hours of sunlight a day. Water your container garden daily. Containers dry out faster than a plot garden will, so make sure the soil for each plant stays moist, but not soaked. Occasionally add some liquid fertilizer to your water to feed your container plants.
Before planting, make sure each of your pots has a good drainage system. The easiest way to do this is to line the bottom of each pot with rough gravel before adding in the soil. Use a potting soil that's designed for container gardening – you'll get better results.
Want More Space – Go Vertical!
Hanging Strawberries
When you have a balcony garden, space is always at a premium, so look for ways to make the best use of the real estate you have.
For example, consider buying a few containers that will hook onto and hang over the outside edge of your balcony. Suspended there, these containers will expand your growing space significantly. And they look nice, too. Just be sure to plant lighter vegetables like spinach, lettuce, or green onions in these pots so they don't become too heavy. If that happened, the hooks holding them in place might give out!
One of the best ways to make the most of your limited space on a balcony is to plant vertically. A pallet is one cheap and easy way to create a vertical garden space. It works especially well for growing herbs and salad greens.
Getting Started Is Easier Than You Think
Threat of EMP
You can usually pick up a discarded pallet for nothing by asking the manager at your local grocery store or home center. Cover the bottom, sides, and back with landscaping fabric. Use a staple gun to hold the fabric in place. Make sure it's stretched nice and tight – the fabric's job is to help hold the soil in place, so you don't want a lot of give in it.
While your pallet is lying flat, plant your first plants in the holes across the top. Fill the pallet with two large bags of potting soil, and plant the rest of your plants tightly in the exposed spaces between slats.
The trick to a successful pallet garden is to really pack your plants in tight, with little to no space in between so they hold the dirt in place. It's also helpful to let the pallet lay flat for at least a couple of weeks for the roots to take hold and keep the soil in place. Then, you can lift the pallet up and lean it against a wall. You'll have a beautiful garden that grows good things to eat while taking up hardly any space at all.
There Are Actually Some Advantages to Apartment Gardening
In some ways, gardening in containers on your balcony is actually easier than tending a garden plot. You have complete control over the soil. Bugs and slugs are less of an issue. Weeds are hardly a problem at all. You can even control the weather to some degree, moving your plants inside when the weather's not agreeable.
With just a little time and attention, you can turn your apartment balcony or back patio into a miniature food factory that will help you be ready for anything.
Yours in Savvy Preparation,
Lee Bellinger
Lee Bellinger, Publisher
Independent Living
P.S. – Becoming more resilient in ALL areas of your life is just plain smart. You don't have to pursue every self-reliance measure, but any step you take will either save you money or make you more secure.
[/quote]

Here is a serious inquiry. Is Lee Bellinger on the level? Are his materials worth getting? I've taken interest in his offer for several months of "Independent living" and some bonus items, like his "Ultimate Self Reliance Mega-Manual" and others I do not want to go into detail about here.
I viewed his "Ultimate Self-Reliance Movie" and am greatly impressed.

Please give me things to consider about him so I can make my final decision, I know God wants us to be self reliant, or as much as possible according to our own knowledge so as to not get caught up in the government trap of relying on them. But if we don't get straight scoop then we're no better off than before.

Thanks

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Bump

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Just google "early gardens"!