Pres. Packer's talk at regional stake conference today

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Re: Pres. Packer's talk at regional stake conference today

Post by Henmasher »

natasha wrote:I thought we had been cautioned from the pulpit regarding how we transmit information said from the pulpit, on the internet. At any rate...I was there, too, and didn't think the warnings were anymore direct than they have been in the past few years. I also noted the stepped up emphasis on faith...fundamental to our handling all problems.
I agree a bit with this. It was for the members of Utah County and for those that attended. As hard as it is to not want to know what was said it does not apply to the rest of the church. That information will be set forth this October.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I had a big ol post typed up and then read Natasha's post and thought better of posting it. I do have some notes that I will look at tonight and post anything that I feel is appropriate.

The one thing that stood out was examples were given of what the pioneers went thru and then it was said that they had the easy trials and that we were going to face the difficult trials. It was not specifically stated but my impression was that this is very immediate future.

We were also told to get healthy as quickly as possible, build up our physical strength and avoid any substance that is harmful or addictive. We were warned both Saturday evening (at our stake adult session) and Sunday about spending excessive time on computers and idling away our time.

Quiet Cricket
captain of 100

Post by Quiet Cricket »

Col. Flagg wrote: ...he said something twice that got my attention... once at the beginning of his address and at the end, which was that the trials and tribulation experienced by the Saints in Nauvoo and on their way to Utah is nothing compared to what is coming.
Original_Intent wrote:The one thing that stood out was examples were given of what the pioneers went thru and then it was said that they had the easy trials and that we were going to face the difficult trials.
This is scary. I am reading the autobiography of Parley P. Pratt. Again: scary. :shock: If these trials come while we're on the earth, we were meant to go through it and maybe chose to come at this time to help the church pull through.

Scarecrow
captain of 100

Post by Scarecrow »

Like others here, I was impressed that Pres. Packer was giving us a warning. He actually mentioned the fact that the pioneers had it easy three different times. I won't give the exact quote (I wrote it down) but in essence he said The pioneers had the easy part. Things will be different for us in the future.

It was similar to the warning he gave a year ago in April's priesthood session where he said We move from a generation of ease and entertainment to a generation of hard work and responsibility. We do not know how long that will last.

Some here have suggested that his talk was typical stake conference fodder, but I couldn't disagree more. It was a warning loud and clear for those with ears to hear.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

kathyn wrote:I am so conflicted; on the one hand I dread some of the tribulations that are almost upon us. On the other, we are losing our youth at an alarming rate and I want to see Babylon destroyed before she grabs any more of us. I feel that we are in that period of time when the Saints will be overcome for a short season. We are struggling, even in the strongest LDS households. What will happen when the real trials start? For me, I really hope that some of my children who have strayed will finally come to their senses. I know that the Lord will use every tool He's got to get people to repent. I figure He'll try to literally scare the hell out of them.
I tend to think the sifting will be multifaceted, but that a large part of it will be if we are willing to give up our relative life of ease. I keep thinking of Brigham Young's statement: “The worst fear that I have about [members of this Church] is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and his people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church and go to hell. This people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution, and be true. But my greater fear for them is that they cannot stand wealth; and yet they have to be tried with riches” (quoted in Preston Nibley, Brigham Young: The Man and His Work [1936], 128).

It sounds like we may be asked to give up our modern 'Security' (money, mostly) for Freedom. Several possible scenarios come to mind.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

singyourwayhome wrote:
kathyn wrote:I am so conflicted; on the one hand I dread some of the tribulations that are almost upon us. On the other, we are losing our youth at an alarming rate and I want to see Babylon destroyed before she grabs any more of us. I feel that we are in that period of time when the Saints will be overcome for a short season. We are struggling, even in the strongest LDS households. What will happen when the real trials start? For me, I really hope that some of my children who have strayed will finally come to their senses. I know that the Lord will use every tool He's got to get people to repent. I figure He'll try to literally scare the hell out of them.
I tend to think the sifting will be multifaceted, but that a large part of it will be if we are willing to give up our relative life of ease. I keep thinking of Brigham Young's statement: “The worst fear that I have about [members of this Church] is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and his people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church and go to hell. This people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution, and be true. But my greater fear for them is that they cannot stand wealth; and yet they have to be tried with riches” (quoted in Preston Nibley, Brigham Young: The Man and His Work [1936], 128).

It sounds like we may be asked to give up our modern 'Security' (money, mostly) for Freedom. Several possible scenarios come to mind.
I totally agree. I can't think of a greater sifter than for the brethren to ask every member to sacrifice their time, money, homes, possessions, etc. (for whatever the reason - fleeing to places of safety, living the law of consecration, etc.) as a test to see who the real Christ-like members are at heart. I know many within my own ward who would probably scoff and murmur at the idea of having to part with their comforts, way of life, money, possessions, career, etc. at the request of the brethren, for whatever the reason. For many, as long as they are fat and happy, have their sports, a cushy career and the ladies can go shopping as a daily ritual, they're content to live the gospel, but throw in a little adversity, some trials and/or tribulations and the cessation of their ease of life, and you suddenly find out what people are made of and what/who they were/are loyal to.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

singyourwayhome wrote:

I've been waiting my whole life for that trial with riches---

Bob

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

natasha wrote:I thought we had been cautioned from the pulpit regarding how we transmit information said from the pulpit, on the internet. At any rate...I was there, too, and didn't think the warnings were anymore direct than they have been in the past few years. I also noted the stepped up emphasis on faith...fundamental to our handling all problems.
:lol: I was totally expecting this. I don't think you have to be a Rocket Scientist to read between the lines to understand what the subtle warning was with the messages, especially from Bro. Packer. He's been issuing these warnings now for the past few years and it would seem that he has been assigned to be a voice of warning for us right now and considering what has gone on in this country over the past 3 years, it's easy to see how and why the warning will come to fruition, especially with regard to the financial system and economy.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Col. Flagg wrote: I don't think you have to be a Rocket Scientist to read between the lines to understand what the subtle warning was with the messages, especially from Bro. Packer. He's been issuing these warnings now for the past few years and it would seem that he has been assigned to be a voice of warning for us right now and considering what has gone on in this country over the past 3 years, it's easy to see how and why the warning will come to fruition, especially with regard to the financial system and economy.
Great day in the morning! Col. Flagg has now realized that the brethren are NOT and have NOT been silent! :P
No more complaints about church leaders from Col. Flagg. Root beers on me!

Plus BYU got their butts handed to them, right Bob 8)

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Col...chill...my post was not directed at you...just a statement that I felt like his message and some of the other messages of the Brethren have not been different than each other's over the past several years....and that I had keyed in on the emphasis regarding the importance of our faith.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

What I got out of Stake Conference... (my notes)

Sister Beck:

"You're doing better than you think you are" and "You could be doing better"

She's concerned about young mothers spending too much time on the computer and neglecting children.

Sister Beck is awesome.

Elder Holland:

Related the story of "Hole in the Rock" and settling "the Muddy's"
Talked about heeding a prophets call.

"..Have faith that this is the truth, the very kingdom of God, and when you're called you go."

Calling us to nurture our own spiritual and physical faith. Pray more, scriptures more, Shut out the noise and clamor.
Testimonies should be simple and deep, not superficial.
Tithing.

There's a great amount of work still to be done.
The world is still getting more wicked.

President Packer:

The Lord's voting for you, Satan's voting against you, it's up to you...

The devil can't make you do anything. can only entice.
The adversary has his limits and can only do what we let him do - only has the power we let him have.
Pattern our lives in a way satan can't be in it. Self-control.
Eliminate negative influences.

"Are you so touchy that you don't like to be corrected?"

"The easy times are in the past"

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

BrianM wrote:What I got out of Stake Conference... (my notes)

Sister Beck:

"You're doing better than you think you are" and "You could be doing better"

She's concerned about young mothers spending too much time on the computer and neglecting children.

Wow, check this one out (talk about irony):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/n ... beans.html
Woman obsessed with computer game left children to eat cold baked beans
A mother who became so obsessed with a computer game that she left her children to eat cold baked beans from the tin has been given a suspended jail sentence and banned from using computers.

Sister Beck is awesome.

Yes, she is! :D

Elder Holland:

Related the story of "Hole in the Rock" and settling "the Muddy's"
Talked about heeding a prophets call.

"..Have faith that this is the truth, the very kingdom of God, and when you're called you go."

Calling us to nurture our own spiritual and physical faith. Pray more, scriptures more, Shut out the noise and clamor.
Testimonies should be simple and deep, not superficial.
Tithing.

There's a great amount of work still to be done.
The world is still getting more wicked.

President Packer:

The Lord's voting for you, Satan's voting against you, it's up to you...

The devil can't make you do anything. can only entice.
The adversary has his limits and can only do what we let him do - only has the power we let him have.
Pattern our lives in a way satan can't be in it. Self-control.
Eliminate negative influences.

"Are you so touchy that you don't like to be corrected?"

"The easy times are in the past"
Great sum up Brian! And I agree totally... gotta love Sister Beck!!
Last edited by Col. Flagg on September 13th, 2010, 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

natasha wrote:Col...chill...my post was not directed at you...just a statement that I felt like his message and some of the other messages of the Brethren have not been different than each other's over the past several years....and that I had keyed in on the emphasis regarding the importance of our faith.
Oh... sorry. :oops:

Poltax
captain of 100

Post by Poltax »

I was not able to attend the Stake/Reg Conf on Sunday, out of town on business. My wife did attend the adult session in our Stake and also the Sunday session. As I read some of the comments posted on this thread to her. She stated, that what she felt strongly about was that, yes, times are tough, but if we live as we should we will be alright. Some of the posts from this thread that I read to her she said "I didn't get any of those thoughts from the meeting". She felt that the messages also stated that we should be tuning out, outside influences that do not uplift.

She also commented that our Stake Pres mentioned in the Sat night session that a lot of the negative influences are coming from the press. He also stated that he was going to stop listening to most of the news, including Fox as he no longer felt the Spirit during many of their broadcasts. Our Stake Pres works for the Church in the Education Department and travels all over the World on various assignments from the Brethren.

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

In last General Conference President Packer stated:

"It has never been easy to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was not easy when He lived, and it was not easy in the early days of the Church. The early Saints were subjected to unspeakable suffering and opposition."

If that was easy...

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Poltax wrote:I was not able to attend the Stake/Reg Conf on Sunday, out of town on business. My wife did attend the adult session in our Stake and also the Sunday session. As I read some of the comments posted on this thread to her. She stated, that what she felt strongly about was that, yes, times are tough, but if we live as we should we will be alright. Some of the posts from this thread that I read to her she said "I didn't get any of those thoughts from the meeting". She felt that the messages also stated that we should be tuning out, outside influences that do not uplift.

She also commented that our Stake Pres mentioned in the Sat night session that a lot of the negative influences are coming from the press. He also stated that he was going to stop listening to most of the news, including Fox as he no longer felt the Spirit during many of their broadcasts. Our Stake Pres works for the Church in the Education Department and travels all over the World on various assignments from the Brethren.
Well what does it mean to "be alright?" That's such a mixed message. For many, it means that life will go on as it has, things will be a little tough, but that we'll pull through and our grandchildren will still have a Cold Stone to go to on Friday nights, our houses will be bigger, and our MLM's will be more successful. For others, alright means that they will have their food storage, temple work, and preparations for possible material and economic tribulations, and that the Lord will prepare a place for refuge for them. For others, being alright means that they may die, but they will be alright in the next life. As long as is the last two, I'm okay with alright; the first alright is nothing more than all is well in Zion kind of mentality (as my father in law says, HEY, we pulled through in the 70's).

We all want to be optimistic. Let's be optimistic about Zion's redemption.

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

I am excited for the future, I hope whatever happens it happens soon.

Geeswell
captain of 100

Post by Geeswell »

bobhenstra wrote:
singyourwayhome wrote:

I've been waiting my whole life for that trial with riches---

Bob

ROFL yes, bob. Actually i can't say that for myself im still young. however, When I hear about having to give up all and live the law of Consecration I have no problem with it at this juncture. I'm super blessed with all these luxuries and necessities, but i'm not by any means wealthy in comparison to those who have a lot of super nice things, or a lot of money left in the bank at the end of the month. or the middle, haha.

It would be so easy for me to give up everything to live the law of Consecration, I believe. maybe im naive, but that's what I think! Maybe if I were to gain more worldly wealth it would be harder. Or maybe I just would rather live that law? I dunno! only time will tell I guess.

PatientLady
Hi, I'm new.

Post by PatientLady »

Col Flagg wrote:Did anyone else get the feeling that the regional stake conference for all of Utah County today was devoted to one of warning? I was specifically intrigued by what Pres. Packer had to say. Although he spoke for over 45 minutes and seemed to hit on many different topics and messages with his stories and such, he said something twice that got my attention... once at the beginning of his address and at the end, which was that the trials and tribulation experienced by the Saints in Nauvoo and on their way to Utah is nothing compared to what is coming.
Elder Bruce R. McConkie said in General Conference, I don't remember which one, that the saints would experience greater future persecution than any they have experienced in the past. That seems to be the same prophecy that Elder Boyd K. Packer is making here. In the mouth of two or more witnesses are all things established. This is the Law of Witnesses.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

PatientLady wrote:
Col Flagg wrote:Did anyone else get the feeling that the regional stake conference for all of Utah County today was devoted to one of warning? I was specifically intrigued by what Pres. Packer had to say. Although he spoke for over 45 minutes and seemed to hit on many different topics and messages with his stories and such, he said something twice that got my attention... once at the beginning of his address and at the end, which was that the trials and tribulation experienced by the Saints in Nauvoo and on their way to Utah is nothing compared to what is coming.
Elder Bruce R. McConkie said in General Conference, I don't remember which one, that the saints would experience greater future persecution than any they have experienced in the past. That seems to be the same prophecy that Elder Boyd K. Packer is making here. In the mouth of two or more witnesses are all things established. This is the Law of Witnesses.
Great point and observation PL. And, for the record... I am looking forward to living the law of consecration and would welcome it with open arms. Nothing would make happier than to be able to share my possessions, time, talents, skills, etc. for the benefit of others while finally not having to worry about earning enough money in this greedy world to support a family and my wife working because of it! :D

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Geeswell wrote: ROFL yes, bob. Actually i can't say that for myself im still young. however, When I hear about having to give up all and live the law of Consecration I have no problem with it at this juncture. I'm super blessed with all these luxuries and necessities, but i'm not by any means wealthy in comparison to those who have a lot of super nice things, or a lot of money left in the bank at the end of the month. or the middle, haha.

It would be so easy for me to give up everything to live the law of Consecration, I believe. maybe im naive, but that's what I think! Maybe if I were to gain more worldly wealth it would be harder. Or maybe I just would rather live that law? I dunno! only time will tell I guess.
While on my mission in Central America I come across a group of people living in grass thatch huts with dirt floors. Each very clean hut neatly fenced in with corn stalks tied upright together supported by posts ever 10 feet or so. Close to a river and a lake, these people were fisherman, had beautiful clean families, and they were the happiest group of people I have ever met.

My heart and thoughts has stayed with these people through my years. As I aged, raised my kids, my life become as simple as those still around me, and I, would allow it. Now I'm living alone, at last I have been able to live the simple life here, I so much admired among those Indians there, in Northern Guatemala.

I have my little 12 year old car, they had their donkeys. I have my 20 year old pickup, they had their cart, my cabin has carpeted flooring, their huts had dirt floors, I'm studying the gospel with the aid of a computer, they couldn't read. I now pay my grandkids to clean my cabin and mow my lawn, they served each other. They had beautiful gardens, I've had to give up gardening as I've run into health problems. But, except for missing my Dear One, I'm happy! I lead a very simple life and have absolutely no desire to complicate it.

Those beautiful happy people had sufficient for their needs, as I do. Were the Lord to finally bless me with greater riches, I would just give it to the Church. Now, greater riches would complicate my life and I wouldn't tolerate that,-- all those taxes and stuff :x ----

I've turned almost everything I own over to the family trust, have no need for a will. My kids won't be fighting over an inheritance, not leaving them anything but my guns and fishing equipment, and each of them already know what gun or fishing rod they get.

Those humble Indians live happily every day because they had access to everything they needed, food, shelter and clothing. And besides my "flu shots" thats all I need.

They were happy in just their existence, I'm happy in my knowledge of the gospel, my understanding of Salvation, and the glory that awaits all children of our Father in Heaven, including those Indians.

Bob

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Same here Col! I wouldn't mind living in a one room shack with dirt floors if that is what it took! Just please keep me fed, warm enough in the winter and let us put the rest towards the building up of the kingdom!

It's an exciting time to live!

edit: wow scary I had entered this while bob was entering his post and we both mentioned dirt floors...queue the Twilight Zone muzac...

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Original_Intent wrote:Same here Col!

:D

I wouldn't mind living in a one room shack with dirt floors if that is what it took! Just please keep me fed, warm enough in the winter and let us put the rest towards the building up of the kingdom!

Amen brother!!

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

Thanks for sharing some of us have health issues and are not able to make it but desperately wish to hear the counsel.

I am with Kathyn in that I am conflicted, If I had 5 years we would be out of debt have our children etc.. On the other hand the spiritual holocaust and the growing power of the kingmen that is happening is very very sad to see.

My friends on the right and my friends on the left on facebook etc.. I am always poking holes in their political narratives. It upsets them but I hope it at least causes a crack or fissure so that when a huge apostasy happens by having to choose between the "seemingly" right Babylon and the "seemingly" wrong path of the prophets. I hope that tiny crack will at least give them a chance to doubt the world and see a sliver of light coming thorugh. Even though they probably despise me for it and may not want to be friends anymore.

I am still unclear if the apostasy will come from the left or the right. When I was a kid and people apostatized and left the branch they would usually leave through the right door into protestant or catholic type teachings. In the 90's the people who left the church did it downward through alcohol or drugs or unmarried cohabitation. The people I know apostatizing now are doing so through the left door over gay marriage, abortion. etc... you know the list. Each of those shifts took about 10 years. When the church said measure twice cut once over immigration reform and when Pres Hinckley did not openly support the Iraq or Afghanistan cause I heard some rumbling but no apostasy from the right. Not sure what all of that means but that is my data set so far.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Talks available here:
http://lancewhitaker.com/regional_conference/

Over in the avow forum, several are challenging Pres. Packer's 2006 remarks about Muslims... "sophistry" is among the comments. OTOH, I strongly support Pres. Packer.

Please note the following extracts from a wonderful talk by Pres. Boyd K. Packer at a BYU forum in October 2006: http://www.byub.org/talks/Talk.aspx?id=2989
Building Bridges of Understanding:
The Church and the World of Islam
President Boyd K. Packer,
Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter‐day Saints, gave this introduction of
Dr. Alwi Shihab prior to Dr. Shihab's forum address on 10 October 2006.

…Ahead of us, indeed already all around us, is
the world of Islam. Christianity and Islam
will clasp hands in cooperation and
understanding or clench fists in
confrontation and prejudice….

The Doctrine and Covenants has this very
interesting prophecy: “For after your
testimony cometh the testimony of
earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in
the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the
ground and shall not be able to stand.
“And also cometh the testimony of the voice
of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings,
and the voice of tempests, and the voice of
the waves of the sea heaving themselves
beyond their bounds” (D&C 88:89–90;
italics added).

Knit together by world history and by Old
Testament history and doctrine, the Church
and the Islamic world can see each other as
People of the Book, indeed Family of the
Book.

The First Presidency called a special fast for
funds to aid the victims of the tsumani. The
money flowed in—several million dollars.
Part of our purpose in traveling to Indonesia
was to review the significant Church
humanitarian relief to those hardest hit. The
assistance began flowing immediately, and it
continues today.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints expresses “special love and concern
for the eternal welfare of all men and
women, regardless of religious belief, race,
or nationality, knowing that we are truly
brothers and sisters because we are sons and
daughters of the same Eternal Father.”1

We believe that “the great religious leaders
of the world such as Mohammed,
Confucius,
and the Reformers, as well as philosophers
including Socrates, Plato, and others,
received a portion of God’s light. Moral
truths were given to them by God to
enlighten whole nations and to bring a
higher level of understanding to
individuals.”2

It is important that we in the West
understand there is a battle for the heart,
soul, and direction of Islam and that not all
Islam espouses violent jihad, as some
Western media portray.

It is as well important that friends in the
Islamic world understand there is a battle for
the heart, soul, and direction of the Western
world and that not all the West is morally
decadent, as some Islamic media portray.

Church members and Muslims share similar
high standards of decency, temperance, and
morality. We have so much in common. As
societal morality and behavior decline in an
increasingly permissive world, the Church
and many within Islam increasingly share
natural affinities.

Muslim scholars point out that the Quran
does not restrict Paradise to Muslims. The
Quran rewards all those of faith who
perform righteousness and believe in the
after-life.
The Book calls Jesus Christ
Messiah, Son of Mary, and by the names
Messenger, Prophet, Servant, Word, and
Spirit of God.4

Alwi, a devout Muslim of Arabic ancestry,
and I, a Christian and devout Mormon, have
agreed to symbolically walk arm in arm into
the future. Together we hope to build a
bridge. Except what that symbolizes is
accomplished, all of us face a very dark and
very dangerous future.

Now I introduce Dr. Alwi Shihab with a title
which I borrow from another venerable
Islamic leader and cleric (whom we both
know and love), Abdurrahman Wahid,
former president of Indonesia—Gus Dur. I
apply that title to you, Alwi. You know that
by interpretation it means “Dear Friend.