For the record I disagree with this whole section

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: For the record I disagree with this whole section

Post by righteousrepublic »

If Captain Moroni were alive today, and rose up against our corrupt government with hundreds or even thousands of followers, would he/they be excommunicated, imprisoned or killed? Or would the Declaration of Independence finally mean something?

Now compare this idea with Ammon Bundy and group.

Lavoy Finicum was murdered although the official report labels him a terrorist. And Harry Reid labels all patriots to the flag and constitution...domestic terrorists.

But guess what, if "we the people" still want freedom, it won't be church leaders telling us to go save the Constitution, it will be patriots to freedom that will finally say, "No More." Unless of course they wait too long having no weapons to shoot with. Pea shooters, BB guns, spit wads, rubber bands, paint balls, blow guns, darts, air pistols and rifles and loaded snow balls won't cut it, right?

With the push for control by government as of recent, the writing is on the wall, Blue state Governors don't want to forfeit their power grab.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Robin Hood wrote: April 18th, 2020, 2:06 am I have felt for many years that we in the UK should have a written constitution as well as an update on the 17th century bill of rights.
Our constitution has evolved over centuries and is based on various factors. However, I believed a written constitution along the lines of the US, taking the Magna Carta as it's common reference, would be good and would provide us better protections.
Having witnessed the current situation develop on both sides of the pond (lockdown etc) I am disappointed to find that the US constitution appears to provide no more actual protections, rather than theoretical ones, than ours does. In others words, when push comes to shove they have both failed to safeguard our rights.

Given that I still believe we should have a US style written constitution, what needs to be done to ensure it has real teeth, especially during a time of national distress?
That was Joseph Smith's complaint about the constitution. No Teeth.
When he appealed to president Martin Van Buren, Martin told him his in-famous words, "Your cause is just, but I can do nothing for you".

SecondRateMind
captain of 100

Post by SecondRateMind »

Trucker wrote: April 21st, 2020, 9:06 pm
mes5464 wrote: April 17th, 2020, 3:51 pm Administrative Principles in Challenging Times

Global Citizen Responsibility

Members of the Church are grateful for the laws of many nations around the world that protect religious freedom and respect the sacred freedom of conscience.

The Church teaches that its members should sustain and uphold the laws where they reside. These governments enact such laws as in their own judgments are best calculated to secure the public interest. We acknowledge that in exceptional circumstances all individual rights may be reasonably restricted, for a time to protect the safety of the general public.

In times of pandemic or natural disaster, the Church will respond to official orders to take needed actions such as canceling or postponing meetings or other gatherings. The Church and its members are committed to being good citizens and good neighbors. The Church has a long history of reaching out and providing assistance to those in need.

Along with our commitment to be good global citizens, we respectfully assert that reasonable accommodations be extended to all people of faith as they strive to participate in rites that are foundational to their faith.
There's one of the most dangerous words used to get people to acquiesce: "reasonable".

We acknowledge that in exceptional circumstances all individual rights may be reasonably restricted...

we respectfully assert that reasonable accommodations be extended...

Of course there's nothing wrong with being reasonable, it's just that people often like to claim that's what their actions are when they really aren't. What's reasonable is subjective. It is determined by the crowd. It's all due to framing, which is why the media, pop culture, schools, etc. frame their own leftist views as "reasonable" and anything else is "unreasonable" or even "scary" or worse. Most people want to be reasonable, and want to be seen as reasonable, and they will not resist anything billed as "reasonable", especially when it's the status quo defending it's current course and current power. Any challenge to it would not be "reasonable".

Bonus: the same argument for being "reasonable" is in the scriptures, too. It's not a new tactic:

"17 And they began to reason and to contend among themselves, saying:
18 That it is not reasonable that such a being as a Christ shall come; if so, and he be the Son of God, the Father of heaven and of earth, as it has been spoken, why will he not show himself unto us as well as unto them who shall be at Jerusalem?"

So be reasonable, but beware of others claiming your follow their reasonable demands.
Interesting. Would you prefer unreasonable restrictions, and unreasonable accommodations? Of course you wouldn't. I suspect you just want rights untrammelled by reciprocal responsibilities. Only problem is, that just isn't an available option in any civilisation.

Best wishes, 2RM

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

SecondRateMind wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:18 am
mes5464 wrote: April 17th, 2020, 3:51 pm Administrative Principles in Challenging Times

Members of the Church are grateful for the laws of many nations around the world that protect religious freedom and respect the sacred freedom of conscience.

The Church teaches that its members should sustain and uphold the laws where they reside. These governments enact such laws as in their own judgments are best calculated to secure the public interest. We acknowledge that in exceptional circumstances all individual rights may be reasonably restricted, for a time to protect the safety of the general public.

In times of pandemic or natural disaster, the Church will respond to official orders to take needed actions such as canceling or postponing meetings or other gatherings. The Church and its members are committed to being good citizens and good neighbors. The Church has a long history of reaching out and providing assistance to those in need.

Along with our commitment to be good global citizens, we respectfully assert that reasonable accommodations be extended to all people of faith as they strive to participate in rites that are foundational to their faith.
There's one of the most dangerous words used to get people to acquiesce: "reasonable".

We acknowledge that in exceptional circumstances all individual rights may be reasonably restricted...

Of course there's nothing wrong with being reasonable, it's just that people often like to claim that's what their actions are when they really aren't. What's reasonable is subjective. It is determined by the crowd. It's all due to framing, which is why the media, pop culture, schools, etc. frame their own leftist views as "reasonable" and anything else is "unreasonable" or even "scary" or worse. Most people want to be reasonable, and want to be seen as reasonable, and they will not resist anything billed as "reasonable", especially when it's the status quo defending it's current course and current power. Any challenge to it would not be "reasonable".

Bonus: the same argument for being "reasonable" is in the scriptures, too. It's not a new tactic:

18 That it is not reasonable that such a being as a Christ shall come; if so, and he be the Son of God, the Father of heaven and of earth, as it has been spoken, why will he not show himself unto us as well as unto them who shall be at Jerusalem?"

So be reasonable, but beware of others claiming your follow their reasonable demands.
Interesting. Would you prefer unreasonable restrictions, and unreasonable accommodations? Of course you wouldn't. I suspect you just want rights untrammelled by reciprocal responsibilities. Only problem is, that just isn't an available option in any civilisation.

Best wishes, 2RM
I don't think you read the last line of what I wrote.

SecondRateMind
captain of 100

Post by SecondRateMind »

Trucker wrote: May 19th, 2020, 4:25 am
SecondRateMind wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:18 am

Best wishes, 2RM
Trucker wrote: May 19th, 2020, 4:25 am I don't think you read the last line of what I wrote.
Indeed I did. I just wanted to clarify and emphasise it.

Best wishes, 2RM.

summerboger
Hi, I'm new.

Post by summerboger »

I really like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GCOAPhURg
We Will Witness what Nephi Saw in Vision part 1

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

summerboger wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:58 am I really like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GCOAPhURg
I can't quite tell if it's the soothing faith inspiring voice or the spirit, but I feel stuff during this guy's video 😁😎
I really like the videos he makes

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

The Lords Prophet isn’t always the President of the Church.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

For the record

Post by BeNotDeceived »

summerboger wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:58 am I really like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GCOAPhURg

@1:57
... an increasing display of evidence ...
As per an abundance of Flying Colors & EARTHQUAKES!

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

Oh boy. You know when I try to share this with people they don't even believe it's true. They say that the church wouldn't do that and go on with their heads in the sand.
marc wrote: April 18th, 2020, 10:50 am Ezra Taft Benson wrote: "There was a time when the American people roared like lions for liberty; now they bleat like sheep for security..."
*ROAR*!!!!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

For the record

Post by BeNotDeceived »

@1:57
... an increasing display of evidence ...
As per an abundance of Flying Colors, #57 Anomalies & EARTHQUAKES!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

XEmilyX wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:48 am Oh boy. You know when I try to share this with people they don't even believe it's true. They say that the church wouldn't do that and go on with their heads in the sand.
marc wrote: April 18th, 2020, 10:50 am Ezra Taft Benson wrote: "There was a time when the American people roared like lions for liberty; now they bleat like sheep for security..."
*ROAR*!!!!
Ditto! ❤️

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61014