Lehi Never Saw Mesoamerica

Post calls to action or information about events, meetings, or lectures that are liberty and/or gospel related.
erichard
captain of 50

Lehi Never Saw Mesoamerica

Post by erichard »

I recommend this daily blog by Del Dowdell on the "Andes with the Amazon basin underwater before Christ" model of Book of Mormon geography.

http://nephicode.blogspot.com/

To understand all his excellent points, one could read his book, "Lehi Never Saw Mesoamerica" or they could read the 30 blog posts starting with this one:

Finding Lehi’s Isle of Promise – Part I

[to navigate between posts after this Part 1, you will have to use the links on the right hand side of the webpage.]

I would bet that if Professor Jones took a long look at this model that he would overwhelmingly accept it. For instance, the science Del shows behind the path taken by a ship leaving southern Arabia heading for the Americas, and "driven by the wind", is clear: that ship would most likely come to 30 degrees South Latitude in Chile or near there. And that is just getting started.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Lehi Never Saw Mesoamerica

Post by larsenb »

I haven't delved into this South American model to any great extent, but am offering an out for the possibility that the Lehites could have landed somewhere on the Mesoamerican coast. It is taken from Chad Aston's DVD, titled: Lehi in Arabia, in which they take a look at this possibility.

The information posted here comes from about the 46 minutes mark into the DVD.

First it mentions that:
Alma 22:28 seems to stipulate when it mentions that the west coast of the land was the place of first inheritance, that Lehi’s party may have traveled eastward across the Pacific Ocean and arrived on the west coast of the Americas: “ . . . in the borders by the seashore, and on the west in the land of Nephi, in the place of their fathers’ first inheritance, and thus bordering along by the seashore.”
Here's a picture of the route:
Easterly Pacific route.png
Easterly Pacific route.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3642 times
It goes on to say (fairly close quote):
At first glance, travel in an eastward direction from the Indian Ocean onward appears problematic because prevailing currents generally restrict travel to a westerly direction across the Pacific. [ A condition, I believe from the DVD is called La Nina].

However, in recent decades science has begun to understand a weather phenomenon know as the ENSO effect, an acronym consisting of El Nino and Southern Oscillation, which refers to the fact that these changes to wind and climate patterns commence in the great expanses of the Southern Pacific Ocean . One of its effects, is to expand the normally narrow and unreliable equatorial counter current, the Doldrums, for up to a year or more, thus allowing and even encouraging travel in an easterly direction across the Pacific.

Data tells us that El Nino events occur at irregular intervals over recent millennia ranging from 2 to 10 years apart.
This following image (in motion on the DVD) shows the relationship between the direction and intensity of the Pacific trade winds and the formation of El Nino:
Easterly Pacific route El Nino.png
Easterly Pacific route El Nino.png (903.33 KiB) Viewed 3642 times