13TH ANNUAL BOOK OF MORMON LANDS CONFERENCE

Post calls to action or information about events, meetings, or lectures that are liberty and/or gospel related.
larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

13TH ANNUAL BOOK OF MORMON LANDS CONFERENCE

Post by larsenb »

Saturday April 16 at Red Lion Hotel in SLC. See: http://www.bmaf.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REGISTRATION FOR THE 13TH ANNUAL BOOK OF MORMON LANDS CONFERENCE
ADMITTANCE IS ONLY $25 PER PERSON WHEN PURCHASED ON THIS SITE BEFORE APRIL 12th ($35 at the door)

Purchase a box lunch for $15.00 prepared by Red's Diner (inside the hotel). Choose between turkey or ham with cheese, lettuce & tomato, side of pickle, chips and cookie and bottled water Can be purchased with your registration. Outside food cannot be brought to the conference. For a sit-down lunch the hotel has a restaurant and there are several eating places within a short walk
BMAF Conf 14 Apr 2016.png
BMAF Conf 14 Apr 2016.png (610.47 KiB) Viewed 8705 times
The most fascinating presentation for me will be by Dr. Brian Stubbs, PhD. in Near Eastern Languages. He has written a book on the Hebraic/Semitic elements found in the Uto-Aztecan linguistic group languages. He did a monograph on this subject a few decades ago, but delayed writing his magnum opus on this subject until he retired, probably not wanting to deal with the controversy it might/would engender among his colleagues.

The Uto-Aztecan linguistic group includes: Ute, Paiute, Shoshone and Comanche, among others, as I recall.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Re: 13TH ANNUAL BOOK OF MORMON LANDS CONFERENCE

Post by samizdat »

Uto Aztecan languages started up in the southwestern USA and then many of them migrated southwards, becoming the Chichimecas and the Aztecs.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

This would probably be quite interesting to attend.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

larsenb wrote:Saturday April 16 at Red Lion Hotel in SLC. See: http://www.bmaf.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REGISTRATION FOR THE 13TH ANNUAL BOOK OF MORMON LANDS CONFERENCE
ADMITTANCE IS ONLY $25 PER PERSON WHEN PURCHASED ON THIS SITE BEFORE APRIL 12th ($35 at the door)

Purchase a box lunch for $15.00 prepared by Red's Diner (inside the hotel). Choose between turkey or ham with cheese, lettuce & tomato, side of pickle, chips and cookie and bottled water Can be purchased with your registration. Outside food cannot be brought to the conference. For a sit-down lunch the hotel has a restaurant and there are several eating places within a short walk
BMAF Conf 14 Apr 2016.png
The most fascinating presentation for me will be by Dr. Brian Stubbs, PhD. in Near Eastern Languages. He has written a book on the Hebraic/Semitic elements found in the Uto-Aztecan linguistic group languages. He did a monograph on this subject a few decades ago, but delayed writing his magnum opus on this subject until he retired, probably not wanting to deal with the controversy it might/would engender among his colleagues.

The Uto-Aztecan linguistic group includes: Ute, Paiute, Shoshone and Comanche, among others, as I recall.
Bump

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Really good conference. We learned that BMAF will be merging with an organization called Book of Mormon Central, which I believe was the spinoff from the BYU affiliated Maxwell Institute, which was originally the independent FARMS. The separation of the group that has become Book of Mormon Central coincided with Daniel Peterson's departure from the Maxwell Institute. It will retain the old FARMS logo.

Book of Mormon Central is located at: https://bookofmormoncentral.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will be a central one-stop center for myriad questions one may have about the Book of Mormon, and is aiming to be fully integrated with social media access. It will hang much of its offerings in the form of Know Whys or KnoWhy's, trying to give both what, how and why answers to Book of Mormon questions.

Here is the upper part of their banner page:
BOFMC.JPG
BOFMC.JPG (235.74 KiB) Viewed 8032 times
Excellent presentations at the Conference. Brand Gardner gave a wonderful Key Note talk on an explanation he came up with for the strange elements in the story of Ammon caring for the flocks of King Lamoni, relating them to ideas taken from what is known about Mayan society. Made perfect sense to me, for the first time, using Gardner's parameters.

Jerry Grover a Civil Engineer/Geologist gave an outstanding presentation of the geology and geologic hazards in the area thought to be the location of the terrible destructions before the advent of Christ in 3rd Nephi, assuming the location was near/at the Isthmus of Tehuantepec and that the limited Tehunatepec Model and its various site locations according to Sorensen, are closest to being correct.

His book on the topic: Geology of the Book of Mormon, some 232 page long, and two others of his books can be grabbed in pdf format at his web site: http://www.caractors.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Brian D. Stubbs presentation on Hebraic/Egyptian and Semitic elements found in the Uto-Aztecan linguistic group was particularly fascinating to me. He has a 433 page book titled: Exploring the Explanatory Power of Semitic and Egyptian in Uto-Aztecan, which exhaustively covers what is linguistically called cognate sets between the Semitic and Uto-Aztecan languages.

He has documented some 1500 of these correspondences, far beyond what is normally to used to match languages, related by either genetic or diffusion criteria.

Very impressive. How can one not come to the conclusion this is major corroborative confirmation of the historical reality of the Book of Mormon??
Last edited by larsenb on April 18th, 2016, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

One thing I forgot to mention that for me was significant: Stubbs said that he ran the preliminary work going into his book by about 22 or so, non-LDS linguists/scholars. He said 5 of these were favorable towards it, indicating they couldn't really fault it. One responded unfavorably, but said he had not really delved into Stubbs work. The rest simply haven't responded . . . yet.

So this should be an indication of the high caliber of what he has done.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

I found book of mormon central a few months ago and have enjoyed reading different topics in their archives. Thanks for the info.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

larsenb wrote:Really good conference. We learned that BMAF will be merging with an organization called Book of Mormon Central, which I believe was the spinoff from the BYU affiliated Maxwell Institute, which was originally the independent FARMS. The separation of the group that has become Book of Mormon Central coincided with Daniel Peterson's departure from the Maxwell Institute. It will retain the old FARMS logo.

Book of Mormon Central is located at: https://bookofmormoncentral.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will be a central one-stop center for myriad questions one may have about the Book of Mormon, and is aiming to be fully integrated with social media access. It will hang much of its offerings in the form of Know Whys or KnoWhy's, trying to give both what, how and why answers to Book of Mormon questions.

Here is the upper part of their banner page:
BOFMC.JPG
Excellent presentations at the Conference. Brand Gardner gave a wonderful Key Note talk on an explanation he came up with for the strange elements in the story of Ammon caring for the flocks of King Lamoni, relating them to ideas taken from what is known about Mayan society. Made perfect sense to me, for the first time, using Gardner's parameters.

Jerry Grover a Civil Engineer/Geologist gave an outstanding presentation of the geology and geologic hazards in the area thought to be the location of the terrible destructions before the advent of Christ in 3rd Nephi, assuming the location was near/at the Isthmus of Tehuantepec and that the limited Tehunatepec Model and its various site locations according to Sorensen, are closest to being correct.

His book on the topic: Geology of the Book of Mormon, some 232 page long, and two others of his books can be grabbed in pdf format at his web site: http://www.caractors.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Brian D. Stubbs presentation on Hebraic/Egyptian and Semitic elements found in the Uto-Aztecan linguistic group was particularly fascinating to me. He has a 433 page book titled: Exploring the Explanatory Power of Semitic and Egyptian in Uto-Aztecan, which exhaustively covers what is linguistically called cognate sets between the Semitic and Uto-Aztecan languages.

He has documented some 1500 of these correspondences, far beyond what is normally to used to match languages, related by either genetic or diffusion criteria.

Very impressive. How can one not come to the conclusion this is major corroborative confirmation of the historical reality of the Book of Mormon??

Hey Bro L I have family members who have gotten caught up in believing the theory bantered about out there that Sidney Rigdon really was the brains behind the Book of Mormon by plagiarizing from various sources like Spauldings manuscript lost and other literary sources that have since been uncovered so as to give hope and life to the Mormon experience. This has caused them to seriously doubt Joseph's prophetic calling. Any suggestions on some good printed materials to help in punching holes in this faith destroying tactic being used to lead people away from the church?

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Mark wrote: . . . . . Hey Bro L I have family members who have gotten caught up in believing the theory bantered about out there that Sidney Rigdon really was the brains behind the Book of Mormon by plagiarizing from various sources like Spauldings manuscript lost and other literary sources that have since been uncovered so as to give hope and life to the Mormon experience. This has caused them to seriously doubt Joseph's prophetic calling. Any suggestions on some good printed materials to help in punching holes in this faith destroying tactic being used to lead people away from the church?
Yes, actually. Here is the information off the top of my head, regarding a son of Sidney Rigdon. I've got better information buried someplace. I'll try to find it for you.

This particular son (don't remember name, off hand), had heard of his dad's involvement with the Mormons for years after Sidney left them in 1844. He always wondered about the truth of what his dad told him. Apparently, Sidney never denied his experiences, but told straight forward versions of them to his son. Also, his son questioned him quite a bit about his dad's involvement.

The son got to the point where he actually traveled to Utah and talked to as many people as he could and ended up converting to the Church/Gospel.

Hard to believe that Sidney, especially after the Saints rejected his leadership, would still be well disposed enough toward them to conceal the 'real truth' about Mormonism and their book from his son; especially if he had actually been involved in fraudulently producing the Book of Mormon from the Spaulding manuscript and other sources.

That's the way I see it. As mentioned, I'll try to find more information on this later on. I think it was in a piece written by Daniel Peterson in the column he writes for Mormon Times, a section of the Deseret News that is produced every Thursday. I'll check that. I cut out his articles I find interesting, and SIdney Rigdon's story has always been very intriguing to me.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

larsenb wrote:
Mark wrote: . . . . . Hey Bro L I have family members who have gotten caught up in believing the theory bantered about out there that Sidney Rigdon really was the brains behind the Book of Mormon by plagiarizing from various sources like Spauldings manuscript lost and other literary sources that have since been uncovered so as to give hope and life to the Mormon experience. This has caused them to seriously doubt Joseph's prophetic calling. Any suggestions on some good printed materials to help in punching holes in this faith destroying tactic being used to lead people away from the church?
Yes, actually. Here is the information off the top of my head, regarding a son of Sidney Rigdon. I've got better information buried someplace. I'll try to find it for you.

This particular son (don't remember name, off hand), had heard of his dad's involvement with the Mormons for years after Sidney left them in 1844. He always wondered about the truth of what his dad told him. Apparently, Sidney never denied his experiences, but told straight forward versions of them to his son. Also, his son questioned him quite a bit about his dad's involvement.

The son got to the point where he actually traveled to Utah and talked to as many people as he could and ended up converting to the Church/Gospel.

Hard to believe that Sidney, especially after the Saints rejected his leadership, would still be well disposed enough toward them to conceal the 'real truth' about Mormonism and their book from his son; especially if he had actually been involved in fraudulently producing the Book of Mormon from the Spaulding manuscript and other sources.

That's the way I see it. As mentioned, I'll try to find more information on this later on. I think it was in a piece written by Daniel Peterson in the column he writes for Mormon Times, a section of the Deseret News that is produced every Thursday. I'll check that. I cut out his articles I find interesting, and SIdney Rigdon's story has always been very intriguing to me.
Mark, Sidney's son's name was John. Here is the link to the Daniel Peterson article from the Deseret News on this subject (I conflated his first visit to Salt Lake w/his ultimate move to Salt Lake and conversion to Mormonism), titled: Defending the Faith: Did Sidney Rigdon write the Book of Mormon?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is an extract of the conclusion of the article:
Afterward, John recalled, his father also declared “that Mormonism was true; that Joseph Smith was a Prophet, and this world would find it out some day.” And, years later, just before her own death, John’s mother confirmed Sidney’s account, “for she was present at the time and knew that was the first time he ever saw it, and that the stories told about my father writing the Book of Mormon were not true."

Impelled by those conversations, John ultimately moved to Utah and joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. At his death in 1912, he was buried in Salt Lake City.
Here is an article on the same subject, but does not mention John's conversion: http://www.moroni10.com/mormon_history/ ... ssion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is a web site dedicated to Sidney Rigdon, with first article dealing with Sidney's biography: http://sidneyrigdon.com/righist/righist2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and several excellent hyperlinks to other articles on the history of Rigdon.