Oktoberfest 2013 - here on LDSFF

Post calls to action or information about events, meetings, or lectures that are liberty and/or gospel related.
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Oktoberfest 2013 - here on LDSFF

Post by ajax »

Get a brat, grab a beer and meet here.

Sat, Oct 5th, one hour after priesthood session. (I'll probably need one by then)

Any takers?

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re: Oktoberfest 2013 - here on LDSFF

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Sounds like fun, but I'm wondering how wise it would be for a bunch of LDSFFers to be posting online while drinking mild drinks..... =))

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

JulesGP wrote:Sounds like fun, but I'm wondering how wise it would be for a bunch of LDSFFers to be posting online while drinking mild drinks..... =))
We're not doing that anyway? :))

So Jules, you in?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Home-made root beer okay? ;)

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

ajax wrote:
JulesGP wrote:Sounds like fun, but I'm wondering how wise it would be for a bunch of LDSFFers to be posting online while drinking mild drinks..... =))
We're not doing that anyway? :))
@-) Good point.
So Jules, you in?
I'll add my tentative RSVP. I'm sure the forum will need an extra moderator that day.... /:) ;)

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

SmallFarm wrote:Home-made root beer okay? ;)
Absolutely, have you been successful in making good home root beer?

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

Frank and I are in. Since I don't like beer, maybe SmallFarm will share some of his home-made root beer?? Actually, we don't live that far away from each other.

swiftbrook
captain of 100

Post by swiftbrook »

I want to be in! But wondering how to hide it from my kids and would love to get my husband in as well..

Oh and I'm 20 weeks pregnant. But I'm betting one mild barley drink is healthier for me and babe than the occasional Red Bull I have when I'm about to go insane with all the little children, plus headache, plus exhaustion. (My hubby usually keeps a store of Red Bull cuz he works nights).

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

JulesGP wrote: I'll add my tentative RSVP. I'm sure the forum will need an extra moderator that day.... /:) ;)
Maybe, I'm not encouraging anybody to pick up a six-pack. You can get nice craft brewed singles pretty easily nowadays....local grocery store, Whole Foods, Cost Plus World Market etc...

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

swiftbrook wrote:I want to be in! But wondering how to hide it from my kids and would love to get my husband in as well..being sneaky around the kids....fun times.

Oh and I'm 20 weeks pregnant. Congrats But I'm betting one mild barley drink is healthier for me and babe than the occasional Red Bull I have....that's for sure.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

ajax wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:Home-made root beer okay? ;)
Absolutely, have you been successful in making good home root beer?
Haven't been able to get the ingredients yet, but hoping to by then. I make some killer ginger ale though. =p~

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

jo1952 wrote:Frank and I are in. Since I don't like beer, maybe SmallFarm will share some of his home-made root beer?? Actually, we don't live that far away from each other.
My aunt Barbara lives in the same town as you. I wonder if y'all are in the same ward. :)

MsEva
captain of 100

Post by MsEva »

I will be here....I sure would like to try some of smallfarm's ginger ale..yummmm.

keep the faith
captain of 100

Post by keep the faith »

ajax wrote:Get a brat, grab a beer and meet here.

Sat, Oct 5th, one hour after priesthood session. (I'll probably need one by then)

Any takers?

Let me get this straight. You are encouraging folks to grab an alcoholic beverage right after listening to the Brethren preach of the dangers of what alcohol and drugs can do to ones mind and body not to mention all the societal damage done by the consumption of alcoholic drinks? Wow.. only on LDSFF.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

keep the faith wrote:

Any takers?

Let me get this straight. You are encouraging folks to grab an alcoholic beverage right after listening to the Brethren preach of the dangers of what alcohol and drugs can do to ones mind and body not to mention all the societal damage done by the consumption of alcoholic drinks? Wow.. only on LDSFF.
Yeah. Well, this is a rather strange site. I do like the idea of ginger ale or root beer (with SmallFarm's recipes). When I was a kid, we made root beer with yeast. It was considered okay and was made for MIA activities for years. Apple cider (homemade) might be another good drink to make and have. For myself, actual beer is too borderline (besides the fact that it smells like pee or vomit).

embryopocket
captain of 100

Post by embryopocket »

To me, beer smells like really old and rotten bread dough. Thanks for the invite anyway, ajax.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Beer is nasty. Must be an acquired taste--a taste acquired by drinking too much of it. Now, that said, nasty tasting stuff is usually good for you. Heaven knows I need to stop eating sugar and sweet tasting things and replace them with nasty, healthy things, but beer won't be on my list...

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

keep the faith wrote:Let me get this straight. You are encouraging folks to grab an alcoholic beverage right after listening to the Brethren preach of the dangers of what alcohol and drugs can do to ones mind and body not to mention all the societal damage done by the consumption of alcoholic drinks? Wow.. only on LDSFF.
You seem to have it right. Not only that, but it seems that ajax is inviting people to live the word of wisdom. Apparently mild drinks are encourage. Have you ever read section 89? I know it took me awhile to read it. It was far easier to just listen to what others said it said.

I guess we could gather for a hot dinner of cow and pig...hotdogs for the kids...we could justify it as being a time of cold by October right?

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Jeremy wrote:
keep the faith wrote:Let me get this straight. You are encouraging folks to grab an alcoholic beverage right after listening to the Brethren preach of the dangers of what alcohol and drugs can do to ones mind and body not to mention all the societal damage done by the consumption of alcoholic drinks? Wow.. only on LDSFF.
You seem to have it right. Not only that, but it seems that ajax is inviting people to live the word of wisdom. Apparently mild drinks are encourage. Have you ever read section 89? I know it took me awhile to read it. It was far easier to just listen to what others said it said.

I guess we could gather for a hot dinner of cow and pig...hotdogs for the kids...we could justify it as being a time of cold by October right?

But a cow and pig tastes delicious =p~

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

keep the faith wrote:

Any takers?

Feel free to bring whatever beverage you wish keep the faith (see above - smallfarm, jo, mseva). Would love to have you.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

TZONE wrote:But a cow and pig tastes delicious =p~
Ah...yes...yes they do. But obedience and sacrifice is the law. And a word of wisdom (not from me)...meat doesnt "quicken" our frequency.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Yes I know ;)... Tryin to be better at it. Ok I finally looked it up.

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/20 ... ld-drinks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reading the comments mild barley back than (if the commentors are right) was around 1% alcohol content. Thats far less than vanilla extract. lol. Not to get off topic I wanted to finally look it up.

keep the faith
captain of 100

Post by keep the faith »

Jeremy wrote:

You are really stretching it here Jeremy. The Lord says barley and other grain can be used for mild drinks and you automatically interpret that to mean we can take a tour of the budweiser plant and get free samples? Come on now do you really think the Lord is inviting the Saints to go get their sixpacks and party on the beach? One Prophet after another have specifically clarified that alcoholic beverages are not to be consumed by the Saints internally because of the potential destructive effects that they can have on the mind and the body. Many an addiction begins with a brewski or 2. Not to mention the cost of all the deaths and injuries on the roads because of impaired people and abuses in families because somebody just wanted to get that buzz from alcohol.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

TZONE wrote:Yes I know ;)... Tryin to be better at it. Ok I finally looked it up.

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/20 ... ld-drinks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reading the comments mild barley back than (if the commentors are right) was around 1% alcohol content. Thats far less than vanilla extract. lol. Not to get off topic I wanted to finally look it up.
Interesting comments. I have a question...why do a lot of these discussions limit the mild drink to barley? It seems to me that the phrase "as also other grain" removes the limit of just barley.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

For those who would like to try, but don't know where to start, here are a couple of good starter articles:

http://www.thekitchn.com/beers-for-all- ... eop-139297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wikihow.com/Enjoy-the-Taste-of-Beer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It all ultimately comes down to trial and error and individual tastes. What tastes good to me may be crap to you. I haven't tried any of the commercially in your face macro-brands (bud, miller, coors). I tend to stop by Whole Foods or World Market and pick up the more craft-syle singles.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about possible suggestions.