Importance of Rural Land

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
harakim
captain of 1,000

Importance of Rural Land

Post by harakim »

How important do you think it is to move somewhere rural and/or have a lot of land?

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Importance of Rural Land

Post by Chip »

We did that. It's been a real education in how much better things can work in the REAL world, with people and nature. No TV for 10 years, either.

It's great to be able to grow food and our neighbors are the kind of people you'd want to have.

Being out of the city/suburbs and into a low-density ag area has just been great. I'd probably have gone insane if we had stayed in the old place.

Having land around you is, in a way, buying some freedom - freedom from busybodies and freedom to do what you want without bothering anyone. Everything I like to do now, I could not have done in the suburbs, nor could I if I returned. It would be like moving into a retirement home.

The suburbs are quite repressive to one's spirit. They all watch TV and believe the same lies. The group think is strong. Out in the country, nature holds more sway and your sensibilities naturally straighten out.

Of course, God can protect and save anyone, in any place, so it's not a necessity. It's just something nice, if you're so inclined.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I think this is a cool idea...except for most people how to support themselves in a rural area isn't something they can bridge the gap to.

How do you make money in backwoods Idaho or Wyoming? or wherever you go? I would still have to pay for electricity, gas to drive, yearly fees like land tax, car insurance, groceries for things that I couldn't grow for myself, and any other upkeeps.

Are there studies on how to bridge the gap?

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

You could live there part-time and work part-time or get a remote job. How to do it is another question I'm still not sure about, but I'm sure if I decide to do it, I can work it out.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Chip wrote: January 12th, 2018, 10:31 pm We did that. It's been a real education in how much better things can work in the REAL world, with people and nature. No TV for 10 years, either.

It's great to be able to grow food and our neighbors are the kind of people you'd want to have.

Being out of the city/suburbs and into a low-density ag area has just been great. I'd probably have gone insane if we had stayed in the old place.

Having land around you is, in a way, buying some freedom - freedom from busybodies and freedom to do what you want without bothering anyone. Everything I like to do now, I could not have done in the suburbs, nor could I if I returned. It would be like moving into a retirement home.

The suburbs are quite repressive to one's spirit. They all watch TV and believe the same lies. The group think is strong. Out in the country, nature holds more sway and your sensibilities naturally straighten out.

Of course, God can protect and save anyone, in any place, so it's not a necessity. It's just something nice, if you're so inclined.
I've read your post more than once. It makes my heart ache and sing.

I grew up in rural area. I miss it so much. I can't seem to get my husband to understand how great it is, so we live in the city. He is also worried about money.

I second everything you say! I truly believe God was not mistaken when he told Adam to till the earth or earn his bread by the sweat of his brow.

When you watch homestead shows/youtube videos (you probably don't mean that rural do you? lol) the thing most people say they miss most about the modern lifestyle is a hot shower. And even that can be had if you learn a few tricks.

This is the one area that I have to spend actual effort not coveting. Everything else is just "stuff."

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Great thread. Wouldn't it be better to try going rural with a group of one's proverbial like-minded individuals? Each would bring their own set of resources/talents and make success more likely.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Silver wrote: January 14th, 2018, 7:57 am Great thread. Wouldn't it be better to try going rural with a group of one's proverbial like-minded individuals? Each would bring their own set of resources/talents and make success more likely.

It can be hard to find people you can trust with this. I had a great friend who seemed to be on the same page. I would have loved to try and start something with her. But after a road trip together with our kids, I realized she was not exactly who I thought she was. She had quite a rebellious spirit when it came to following the rules of the areas we visited and lied about how many kids she had to the 1 hotel we stayed at among other things. I was stunned to find after all our talks about the gospel, visits and projects to learn new skills and be more self sufficient that lying was no big deal to her if she thought she could benefit financially. There were some other concerns as well. She was really into energy healing for example.

Needless to say, that friendship didn't last much longer. It was terribly sad.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Michelle wrote: January 14th, 2018, 8:21 am
Silver wrote: January 14th, 2018, 7:57 am Great thread. Wouldn't it be better to try going rural with a group of one's proverbial like-minded individuals? Each would bring their own set of resources/talents and make success more likely.

It can be hard to find people you can trust with this. I had a great friend who seemed to be on the same page. I would have loved to try and start something with her. But after a road trip together with our kids, I realized she was not exactly who I thought she was. She had quite a rebellious spirit when it came to following the rules of the areas we visited and lied about how many kids she had to the 1 hotel we stayed at among other things. I was stunned to find after all our talks about the gospel, visits and projects to learn new skills and be more self sufficient that lying was no big deal to her if she thought she could benefit financially. There were some other concerns as well. She was really into energy healing for example.

Needless to say, that friendship didn't last much longer. It was terribly sad.
No doubt that was a sad discovery for you. These things cannot be entered into lightly even if done by a group of siblings.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

You don't need to go to the middle of nowhere. Just find a town of several thousand people and live outside the city boundaries. You're in the country, then. Routine shopping is 10 minutes away.

Having a job nearby or independent means is key.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

If rural is an option, go rural. You and your family will be enough no need for a group of people around you. The fewer the neighbors the better. I've lived on a farm my whole life with the nearest neighbor almost a mile away and do not know how folks can live 50 ft apart from one another. I could not do it. I see more and more people moving out to the rural areas from the big cities close to us and am thankful we have enough property to keep folks from moving in on top of us.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I like rural or semi rural after a long life of urban living.
I'm just on the edge of a very small city and small county.
And it looks like a very slow growing area, so I will have the same view out the windows, without watching house after house pop up every few days.
dc

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

My wife is like a group of individuals as far as skillset, so we have the resources/talents part covered.

My problem is that I've wanted to move somewhere rural for more than ten years now and I can't decide how to approach it. I do not have enough money to pay off my house or the land and, therefore, I would be getting into more debt to do so. As I have more money come in and, perhaps with a downturn in the economy, it is possible I could afford to get completely out of the game. Also, it is likely I'll be able to work remote in the future as well. So the future seems like a good time to move, but I sure would like to reserve my rural plot and live there part-time now.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Just an observation, rural is not cheap anymore, we live rural our town has a few hundred people in the winter, summer is a different story. You could buy ground a few years ago at a fair price, now $50,000. an acre. I would suggest buying a small farm with a family member, you could rent it out till your ready to run it. There's a group of people down the street(they started out LDS) trying to live the higher law, strange how people get off track when they decide to implement there interpretation of things. Buy land "in bulk" then you can sell off your excess. In Idaho you have to own it for 5yrs. Then you can devide it . We had a 25 acre piece sat on it for those 5 years, then sold 10 acres 2x our original investment. Two things to remember, location location location and you make your money when you buy it (can't pay going prices). The Lord will guide you and the purchase will bless both parties. I am amazed at how many times the property can fall into your lap, have I always acted on it no, my mistake and I have always regretted it.