Is this going to be a trend?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Is this going to be a trend?

Post by gardener4life »

Is this going to be a trend? And what should we do about it? Who is going to protect people against the machinations of businesses that push economic slavery? This could and will likely represent a growing steady increase of other businesses following suit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... ailsignout

Problem; being in bondage and capvitity
Problem 2; if cash is out, then less self sufficiency and less control over our own lives is up
Problem 3; now you can be forced to buy tech and other computer technology at the whim of a CEO since in the future you might not be able to buy groceries without it. And that CEO will want you to rebuy it again every couple of years under an excuse of updates and other arguments of the world. In effect you will be 'renting' the ability to buy groceries! Think of it... (renting the capacity to buy groceries but still have to pay separately again and additionally for the groceries themselves.)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Is this going to be a trend?

Post by David13 »

Does it really matter?

From what I have seen, nobody pays with cash anymore, anyway, and that has been going on for a long time.

I know years ago, maybe even more than 40 years ago, but at least 25 years ago, across the street from the University of Southern California, at the ice cream store, they had a sign. "No credit cards". Now, who would think of paying for an ice cream cone with a credit card. A college kid, that's who.

Sounds nutty, but remember, probably mom and dad pay the credit card, or load the debit card for the college kid, don't they? So it makes more sense to pay for the ice cream cone with mom and dads money, rather than their own money.

Today I notice everyone paying with a card.

However, that may be because they are all on some type of government aid that is loaded onto their card, rather than that book of stamps they used to give out.
dc

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

It does matter.

Oppression and economic slavery matters.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

gardener4life wrote: December 26th, 2017, 8:39 am Problem; being in bondage and capvitity
Problem 2; if cash is out, then less self sufficiency and less control over our own lives is up
Problem 3; now you can be forced to buy tech and other computer technology at the whim of a CEO since in the future you might not be able to buy groceries without it. And that CEO will want you to rebuy it again every couple of years under an excuse of updates and other arguments of the world. In effect you will be 'renting' the ability to buy groceries! Think of it... (renting the capacity to buy groceries but still have to pay separately again and additionally for the groceries themselves.)
Yes, cash is slowly disappearing. That is definitely a trend.

I understand the Problem 3, although I'm not sure if that is happening. However, could you elaborate on the Problems 1 and 2? I'm not sure what you mean. Paying with a debit card isn't really that different than paying with cash. A dollar is a dollar in your pocket or on your bank account. The dollar bill has no intrinsic value. The value of the money depends on the monetary system and global economy in any case.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

It's not a good trend at all. Negative interest rates aren't really effective if people have the option of taking their money out of the banks.

And remember, it was only about 80 years ago that FDR confiscated everyone's gold and then promptly devalued the dollar by 43%.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

gardener4life wrote: December 26th, 2017, 8:39 am Is this going to be a trend? And what should we do about it? Who is going to protect people against the machinations of businesses that push economic slavery? This could and will likely represent a growing steady increase of other businesses following suit.

Problem 3:

Marketers are so excited that everything will soon be subscription based. We already have subscription cars (like a lease, but only a monthly commitment and it includes maintenance, insurance and roadside assistance) to doing laundry in your own home.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/01/for ... ervice-to/

https://www.iotawash.com/

A real life example of problem 3.

My sister wanted to buy a new computer recently. She went to our local store that only sells apple products, but it is not an official apple store. They don't take cash, they only take cards with the new chip, but her credit union hadn't switched over yet, and their apple pay was down. Needless to say, she didn't get a computer that day.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

gardener4life wrote: December 26th, 2017, 9:05 am It does matter.

Oppression and economic slavery matters.
If you are concerned about oppression and economic slavery that is one thing. And you need to address it. But that is a separate and distinct issue from the means of exchange.

The means of exchange, as has otherwise been pointed out here has no value. It's only paper. The value is what you can exchange it for. So the means or form doesn't matter. It can be dollars, cards, clam shells, whatever.

What you are concerned about is getting that means of exchange. Obtaining it.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Michelle wrote: December 26th, 2017, 1:06 pm
gardener4life wrote: December 26th, 2017, 8:39 am Is this going to be a trend? And what should we do about it? Who is going to protect people against the machinations of businesses that push economic slavery? This could and will likely represent a growing steady increase of other businesses following suit.

Problem 3:

Marketers are so excited that everything will soon be subscription based. We already have subscription cars (like a lease, but only a monthly commitment and it includes maintenance, insurance and roadside assistance) to doing laundry in your own home.

My sister wanted to buy a new computer recently. She went to our local store that only sells apple products, but it is not an official apple store. They don't take cash, they only take cards with the new chip, but her credit union hadn't switched over yet, and their apple pay was down. Needless to say, she didn't get a computer that day.

The last thing a retailer wants to do is lose a sale.

But they set their systems up to do business in the manner which they want.

It takes a lot to handle cash. It can be stolen. Thieves with guns can come to take it. That's part of why certain businesses have robberies.

Debt card and credit card entries can't be physically stolen. Even cash can be electronically stolen.

But, do you know how much it costs to have armored transport for your store's cash?

dc

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

David13 wrote: December 27th, 2017, 8:50 am

Problem 3:

It takes a lot to handle cash. It can be stolen. Thieves with guns can come to take it. That's part of why certain businesses have robberies.

Debt card and credit card entries can't be physically stolen. Even cash can be electronically stolen.

But, do you know how much it costs to have armored transport for your store's cash?

dc
I have my debit card charged for things I didn't buy. Returned and resolved, but still stolen.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

But is it legal not to take banknotes? The U.S. currency carries a legal notice: “Tjis note is legal tender for all debts public and private” I suspect that any business refusing to take currency would likely find that they were on the wrong side of a legal case should someone want to make a case over it.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Michelle wrote: December 27th, 2017, 5:45 pm
David13 wrote: December 27th, 2017, 8:50 am

Problem 3:

dc
I have my debit card charged for things I didn't buy. Returned and resolved, but still stolen.
Electronically, not physically.
You can have your bank account hacked, and when you go down to get some cash out, to go do business in cash, it ain't there.
dc

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

gkearney wrote: December 27th, 2017, 6:30 pm But is it legal not to take banknotes? The U.S. currency carries a legal notice: “Tjis note is legal tender for all debts public and private” I suspect that any business refusing to take currency would likely find that they were on the wrong side of a legal case should someone want to make a case over it.
That would take one decision from the Federal Reserve to resolve the "legal tender" problem.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

At Walmart, they started out with 1 machine that didn't take cash in the self checkout. Now most or all the machines are card only. To pay cash you have to wait in a long line. They have also changed the cards to be chip and pin. How much longer until the chip is put into our hands and not our cards? Makes me want to have some home production skills so I will survive when businesses say no to me unless I have a chip in my hand.

I suppose we need to fight this and not support the card only businesses because before we know it it will be too late. If people fight now when only a few business don't except cash it will force them to change. But if we don't fight they will win by default and by by freedom.

The mark of the beast will be terrible. Once inside you will become a wifi device and it will make it so you can't hear the Holy Spirit any more. But you will be hooked up to the internet.

God gave us our agency so if we allow our God given bodies to be taken over with materials that communicate with machines, we will become machines ourselves. We will lose our 2nd estate, our beautiful God given bodies made in the image of God. And God will allow it. The losses will be immense. But it will be too late for most people.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

The link doesn't work. I looked it up online and other links to it don't work either. Is this it?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/25/nyre ... -card.html

Philadelphia recently voted on and I think passed a law that every business had to accept cash. Alright, I looked into it and they did pass the law.

If they don't get it right, cashless which just create a side-economy based on barter that they can't control. Everyone should really be preparing for this shift.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gkearney wrote: December 27th, 2017, 6:30 pm But is it legal not to take banknotes? The U.S. currency carries a legal notice: “Tjis note is legal tender for all debts public and private” I suspect that any business refusing to take currency would likely find that they were on the wrong side of a legal case should someone want to make a case over it.
Temples, at least in this part of the US, no longer accept cash at the clothing rental counters.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

brianj wrote: June 24th, 2019, 10:11 pm
Temples, at least in this part of the US, no longer accept cash at the clothing rental counters.
That may be the case, it has been some time since I have been to a temple big enough to have clothing rentals that fact alone doesn’t mean that it is technically lawful to refuse cash only that no one is willing to raise a fuss over the issue.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gkearney wrote: June 25th, 2019, 5:34 am
brianj wrote: June 24th, 2019, 10:11 pm
That may be the case, it has been some time since I have been to a temple big enough to have clothing rentals that fact alone doesn’t mean that it is technically lawful to refuse cash only that no one is willing to raise a fuss over the issue.
How's this for persuasion?
"Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise."
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm