Wild fire damage in California is much higher than people are saying

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Wild fire damage in California is much higher than people are saying

Post by gardener4life »

So the date on this video this guy put up was around October 19, 2017. In that video he quotes over 7,000 buildings destroyed and 42 deaths.

But the Thomas fire alone had quoted a 100,000+ acres burned and only said a small figure of over a hundred homes and 1 death. Something isn't right there because the there were way too many fires. And they misquoted the # of homes and deaths in the fires even before the end of October. I noticed very few people are even aware of how many people have lost homes, and how many people have died. Now the wording of the news during the many fires going on during the Thomas fires was quoted in conjunction with the other fires as well. So why didn't they START with the 7,000 buildings and go from there when they quoted these fires going on all at once (and they weren't the only ones); Thomas fire, Creek fire, Rye fire, and another fire also going on in Ventura, and there was a 5th fire. Then later other fires broke out in San Diego.

People will go back to their lives thinking all is well and not realize how badly those peoples' situations have become, and are becoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTss9pSMi8

The other thing that's interesting about all of this and events elsewhere is why is it that nobody can admit that they are wake up calls to repent? American culture is so stagnant and oppressive about anything 'uncool' that we are probably one of the few cultures that would refuse to admit there could be a wake up call to repent.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Re: Wild fire damage in California is much higher than people are saying

Post by JK4Woods »

The 7,000 homes was a conglomeratIon of the Napa fires too. It meant this fall fire season in the state of California...

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

The fires in that video look staged. How would wildfires spread/jump from building to building without burning up the trees in between? The trees are at best mildly crisp here and there. Something is not right.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I'll have to check in with my friend again but he had been saying the opposite- that it's overblown by the media and not that bad. It's typical ratings scare tactics. He lives just north of Ventura, near the Thomas fire.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

But isn't it true that unless people have personally lost something they won't understand that others have lost? You can see it all the time that people won't believe that others need help and justify it even because they won't want to help the poor.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

In order for people to understand an event as some sort of call to repentance they need to be able to in some way make the association between god’s will and the event. Fires happen every year in California these are large they are not the largest even so what makes this particular fire a call to repentance but not say the Oakland Hills fire, worst in the states history, that is now over 20 years old?

So unless there is some for of association in people’s minds between the event and the need to repent, an association Latter Day Saints generally look to church leaders to make, they will never see a connection between the event, be it fires or storms, or earthquakes, and repentance.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

More interesting info on CA fires....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZopaatlBVUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09CNv8ar5I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am2bRKihzio
What do you think?
Somehow it's still going after all this time.

Oops one of those is old.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Fires have been burning California for 1000's of years. I don't see how a natural occurring phenomenon can be attributed to God calling for repentance.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

We have a swimming pool... it's salt water, so not much good as an potable emergency water supply, however, it would serve for bathing and other sanitation (bucket flushing toilets).

Looking at California and learning from wildfire damage and destruction, I think some tree and shrubbery trimming are first order of business, then buying a water pump from Harbor Freight, and the requisite pressure and suction lines so the pump can be used with swimming pool resevoirs for localized fire fighting.

Garden hoses just don't cut it with wild fires. No volume or distance.

Look at 1993 Laguna Beach fire results. One in twenty homes withstood fire and were barely damaged. Everything else burned to the ground.
Read up on why and look at home improvement items to make a standard stick-built home more fire resistive to flying embers.

Mount the pump into a small "utility wagon" and you can pull the whole deal up the street to help fight fires away from you home, potentially averting finding your own home being in a direct fire.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Vision wrote: December 26th, 2017, 8:39 am Fires have been burning California for 1000's of years. I don't see how a natural occurring phenomenon can be attributed to God calling for repentance.
Earthquakes have been happening since before the planetary crust was cool enough for oceans to form, therefore by your logic earthquakes could not be acts of God.

Droughts happen regularly, causing crop failure. Does this mean you reject the idea of drought-related famine being a way to call people to repentance, as described in the Book of Mormon?

Wars are acts of man. The WW2 Pacific Theater happened because Japan's leaders wanted resources they couldn't acquire domestically or through trade, not because God told Hirohito to go to war. But that war humbled the Japanese people enough that some of them became open to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and allowed for the widespread introduction of this gospel to that country.

It appears obvious to me that God uses war, drought, earthquakes, storms, plagues, insects, and other natural disasters to advance His work. Prideful people will refuse to change but those who will be humbled are called to repentance.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

brianj wrote: December 26th, 2017, 9:30 pm ... It appears obvious to me that God uses war, drought, earthquakes, storms, plagues, insects, and other natural disasters to advance His work. Prideful people will refuse to change but those who will be humbled are called to repentance. ...
Blimps Could Rain Over Wildfires wrote:
The engineers' designs call for a special "catch basin" to be installed along the length of the blimp's top. Passing aerial tankers such as C-130s and Chinook helicopters could then fly over the blimp and dump their water loads into the blimp.
http://www.wikisubtitle.com/video/xRUyFLnAdqM wrote:

... on the other hand you can have a much larger temperature reduction sometimes on the order of 50 to 60 degrees Celsius below ambient by switching into a blackbody emitter, so you can actually get extremely cold passively with these kind of structure. So I talked about the importance of using a photonic design in order to improve the emissivity spectrum ...
Now they're using a silver layer to reflect the visible rays and converting heat to 9-13uM wavelengths, for daytime use. Image

These cold temperatures could condense water out of the air, to supplement that dropped into the basin. The large surface area of the cold blimp, should condense a lot of water. Also use steel or higher temperature cables to tether the blimps when the winds are strong.
Genesis1:28 wrote: And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it ...
Sins of Omission, have real consequences, of which we do reap. :x

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

brianj wrote: December 26th, 2017, 9:30 pm
Vision wrote: December 26th, 2017, 8:39 am Fires have been burning California for 1000's of years. I don't see how a natural occurring phenomenon can be attributed to God calling for repentance.
Earthquakes have been happening since before the planetary crust was cool enough for oceans to form, therefore by your logic earthquakes could not be acts of God.

Droughts happen regularly, causing crop failure. Does this mean you reject the idea of drought-related famine being a way to call people to repentance, as described in the Book of Mormon?

Wars are acts of man. The WW2 Pacific Theater happened because Japan's leaders wanted resources they couldn't acquire domestically or through trade, not because God told Hirohito to go to war. But that war humbled the Japanese people enough that some of them became open to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and allowed for the widespread introduction of this gospel to that country.

It appears obvious to me that God uses war, drought, earthquakes, storms, plagues, insects, and other natural disasters to advance His work. Prideful people will refuse to change but those who will be humbled are called to repentance.
What your missing in your analysis is a Man sent from God calling for repentance and the consequences of not repenting will be X. God always gives a warning. Nephi asked God to replace war with famine in the BOM. It was very specific to the Nephites who were at war. Samuel called the Nephites to repentance and gave them specific signs. Every example of a natural disaster in the BOM had a warning first. God pleads first.

Tell me when the people of California where called to repent and if they didn't they would be burned?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Vision wrote: December 27th, 2017, 7:53 am What your missing in your analysis is a Man sent from God calling for repentance and the consequences of not repenting will be X. God always gives a warning. Nephi asked God to replace war with famine in the BOM. It was very specific to the Nephites who were at war. Samuel called the Nephites to repentance and gave them specific signs. Every example of a natural disaster in the BOM had a warning first. God pleads first.

Tell me when the people of California where called to repent and if they didn't they would be burned?
I recall the Nephites being warned of destruction, but not explicitly warned that Lamanite armies would come upon them, when those armies would come, or where exactly they would come. They were just warned of destruction. It kind of reminds me of this:
We warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.
That sounds like a warning to me.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Liberal Dystopia - Californians Reap What They Sow !

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Click top link for transcript. Image

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

One of our sons served his mission in northern California, which included the Napa area. He contacted about a dozen families he has stayed in touch with who live there, and all of them received severe damage from the fires - many losing their entire home. Sad.