Butter... hard or soft?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
DEEPER storm
captain of 100

Butter... hard or soft?

Post by DEEPER storm »

I love butter. The real thing, salted, right out of the Costco cooler in that lovely blue four-pack. Yum!

After very brief consideration, I am switching from leaving my butter out, to keeping it in the 'frig.

Yes, it's ever so easy to smear on when it's soft, but I have recently come to appreciate the effort of slicing off and spreading 'hard' butter.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Re: Butter... hard or soft?

Post by eddie »

You have BBD, borderline butter disorder.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 7:31 am You have BBD, borderline butter disorder.
I agree

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

DEEPER storm wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:52 pm I love butter. The real thing, salted, right out of the Costco cooler in that lovely blue four-pack. Yum!

After very brief consideration, I am switching from leaving my butter out, to keeping it in the 'frig.

Yes, it's ever so easy to smear on when it's soft, but I have recently come to appreciate the effort of slicing off and spreading 'hard' butter.
I like butter soft. I only eat air-popped popcorn and putting butter on it tastes so good.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

It is an issue.
Room temperature in Los Angeles usually left it just right for easy spreading.
Here in the mountains room temperature means it's still hard and next to impossible to spread.
I have learned to defrost it in the microwave when removing from the ice box, but that doesn't last too long at this altitude. (Or temperature)
dc

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

I was hoping desperately one of you would figure this out, I suppose that Chase guy is correct about us, not the brightest stars in the sky, not the sharpest knifesin the drawer etc., it's embarrassing, particularly from David13.
Of course I have my PH.D in BBD for use on LDSFF.

THE ANSWER IS;

One cube on counter. One cube in refrigerator.
DUH!!!

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Fresh heavy cream meet food processor.....We like fresh butter, and we do add a little salt. Butter should not be kept on the table unless it’s going to be consumed. Since our recent move to hawaii, I have not found a source for raw milk or cream

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

PressingForward wrote: October 18th, 2017, 10:11 am Fresh heavy cream meet food processor.....We like fresh butter, and we do add a little salt. Butter should not be kept on the table unless it’s going to be consumed. Since our recent move to hawaii, I have not found a source for raw milk or cream
I have made butter from a jersey cow with the sweetest cream ever. We would pass around a daisy butter churn and everybody took a turn, my children were fascinated, I even milked the cow, so you see I am a butter expert. LOL
( Cheese expert and underwater basket weaving expert.)

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

PressingForward wrote: October 18th, 2017, 10:11 am Fresh heavy cream meet food processor.....We like fresh butter, and we do add a little salt. Butter should not be kept on the table unless it’s going to be consumed. Since our recent move to hawaii, I have not found a source for raw milk or cream
Whale milking takes about 50 minutes and gives 1600
Liters of milk, be resourceful!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 10:02 am I was hoping desperately one of you would figure this out, I suppose that Chase guy is correct about us, not the brightest stars in the sky, not the sharpest knifesin the drawer etc., it's embarrassing, particularly from David13.

THE ANSWER IS;

DUH!!!

Ok, Mr Scientist one on the counter has the same problem as one on the desk, table, chair or anywhere else in the room. Still too hard. It's just a little too cool here.
dc

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

We have spreadable Anchor butter from New Zealand.
It's spreadable straight from the fridge.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Robin Hood wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:05 pm We have spreadable Anchor butter from New Zealand.
Is it canned?

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

David13 wrote: October 18th, 2017, 1:24 pm
eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 10:02 am I was hoping desperately one of you would figure this out, I suppose that Chase guy is correct about us, not the brightest stars in the sky, not the sharpest knifesin the drawer etc., it's embarrassing, particularly from David13.

THE ANSWER IS;

DUH!!!

Ok, Mr Scientist one on the counter has the same problem as one on the desk, table, chair or anywhere else in the room. Still too hard. It's just a little too cool here.
dc
Haha! You could sit on the one on the chair, put the desk butter under a light, and turn the heater up! Just think how soft and subtle your- oh Nevermind. Where's my steak by the way?

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 12:37 pm
I have made butter from a jersey cow with the sweetest cream ever. We would pass around a daisy butter churn and everybody took a turn, my children were fascinated, I even milked the cow, so you see I am a butter expert. LOL
Another cheese maker. What a deal.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:17 pm
Robin Hood wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:05 pm We have spreadable Anchor butter from New Zealand.
Is it canned?
No.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:20 pm

THE ANSWER IS;

DUH!!!

dc
Haha! You could sit on the one on the chair, put the desk butter under a light, and turn the heater up! Just think how soft and subtle your- oh Nevermind. Where's my steak by the way?

Over at Ezra's. When he has them ready.
dc

The heater is doing fine at 64, fine for me. I just put my sweatshirt on. But it leaves the butter hard. The lights are all either fluorescent or now led and generate no heat. So that won't warm the butter.
I had given up butter and dairy product for a while. Well, not really cheese. But I still haven't gone back to the milk.
dc

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

brlenox wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:22 pm
eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 12:37 pm
Another cheese maker. What a deal.
Fun to make, love the curd!

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

David13 wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:44 pm
eddie wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:20 pm

THE ANSWER IS;

DUH!!!

dc

Over at Ezra's. When he has them ready.
dc

The heater is doing fine at 64, fine for me. I just put my sweatshirt on. But it leaves the butter hard. The lights are all either fluorescent or now led and generate no heat. So that won't warm the butter.
I had given up butter and dairy product for a while. Well, not really cheese. But I still haven't gone back to the milk.
dc
Unfortunately I have to stay away from dairy products, and beans. 😳

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Robin Hood wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:37 pm
Is it canned?
No.
You can spread it with real anchors if you want to. XD

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

I personally like drawn butter for dipping Lobster,
I'm kind of a classy person, however I've always thought when asking about the soup of the day, the saying was
"Soup for sure." I was embarrassingly corrected by a waiter, I told him, " I don't speak German!"

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

gardener4life wrote: October 19th, 2017, 2:34 am
Robin Hood wrote: October 18th, 2017, 2:37 pm
Is it canned?
No.
You can spread it with real anchors if you want to. XD
That sounds painful..⚓️

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... ption.aspx

" Just like other forms of dairy, butter's nutritional value depends on how the animals are raised. For example, the fatty acid composition of butterfat varies according to the animal's diet. The very best-quality butter is raw (unpasteurized) from grass-pastured cows, preferably certified organic. The next best is pasteurized butter from grass-fed cows, followed by regular pasteurized butter common in supermarkets. Even the latter two are a healthier choice than margarines or spreads.

Beware of "Monsanto Butter," meaning butter that comes from cows fed almost entirely genetically engineered grains. This, unfortunately, makes up the majority of butters you typically see on grocery store shelves. Conventionally raised cows are typically fed GE corn and soy. However, some farmers fatten up their feed with additional sugar derived from GE sugar beets and cottonseed.

Included on the list of "Monsanto Butters" are Land O'Lakes and Alta Dena. Land O' Lakes is not organic and raises its cows on antibiotics, growth hormones, and pesticide-loaded GE grain. Land O'Lakes also contributed nearly $100,000 to the "NO on I-522" lobby, the bill to label GMOs in Washington State, which is a clear statement of its position and priorities.

Many Dairy Cows Are Inhumanely and Brutally Treated
In addition to avoiding the dairy products from CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations, aka factory farms) for nutritional reasons, you may want to avoid them due to the inhumane treatment of animals that is often found in these operations. Brutal, sadistic treatment of dairy cows was captured by undercover footage at a factory farm in Ohio in 2010. The trapped animals were beaten, kicked, stabbed with pitchforks, and had their tails broken. Unfortunately, such heart-wrenching stories are much too common. "

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... efits.aspx
"You can keep ghee on your counter for weeks and it will be fine. In cooler weather, it solidifies much like coconut oil. It's important to note that ghee is only as good as the milk used to make the original butter. Always use butter made from the milk of cows that munched grass."

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Z2100 wrote: October 18th, 2017, 7:56 am
DEEPER storm wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:52 pm I love butter. The real thing, salted, right out of the Costco cooler in that lovely blue four-pack. Yum!

I like butter soft. I only eat air-popped popcorn and putting butter on it tastes so good.
Try using Ghee on your popcorn, it's a game changer.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

gradles21 wrote: October 20th, 2017, 7:41 am
Z2100 wrote: October 18th, 2017, 7:56 am

Try using Ghee on your popcorn, it's a game changer.
What is Ghee?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Ghee is a type of clarified butter that is stable at room temperature. Made up of medium-chain fatty acids, ghee is both easy to digest and beneficial for your heart. Compared to butter, ghee has a higher concentration of butyric acid, known for its positive effects on immune function and inflammation.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRV6-iwU3i8

eddie wrote: October 20th, 2017, 7:59 am What is Ghee?