1 ton of wheat.

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Ezra
captain of 1,000

1 ton of wheat.

Post by Ezra »

Just checked price for 1 ton of wheat plus buckets and all that would be needed for storage.

Local farmer 1 ton of wheat hard white in 1 poly bulk bag = 300$

Home Depot 50 5 gal buckets 2.97$ each = $148.50
Home Depot 50 gasketed bucket lids 1.68 each = $84
Food grade diatomaceous earth 1 gallon. $5.84

Sprinkle it on top of grain befor closeing lid and it will take out any weevils or whatever

Totall =$ 538 and change.

Oregon no sale tax. Not bad.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Re: 1 ton of wheat.

Post by Michelle »

I always think it is funny when people talk about how much food storage costs or say that it is more expensive to eat healthy than to eat junk.

We are a family of 8 going on 9 and we can only afford to eat healthy, and that healthy is food storage plus seasonal produce.

Hard to beat wheat, oats, beans, rice and produce in season for taste and cost. Plus eating seasonally tastes better, you enjoy what you have and look forward to what is coming. August and September are some of my favorite months with so much in season.

Can't wait for next month. Potatoes are back in season. We get about 150 pounds, 3 varieties, fresh from the farm, dirt still on them, and they last until about December or January. $54

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Yes, but how do you keep those potatoes from getting rotten?
I buy a bag and they are mushy before I can start on them.
dc

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

David13 wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 1:43 pm Yes, but how do you keep those potatoes from getting rotten?
dc
David, you have to cook them! 🍮

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

David13 wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 1:43 pm Yes, but how do you keep those potatoes from getting rotten?
dc
The potatoes are unwashed and have dirt on them. (Literally pulled from the ground, bagged in paper and delivered.) They need to be just need to be kept in a cold dark place like the basement.

If you buy them from the store they are washed and sprayed with the anti green chemical. They only last a week at our place like that no matter how hard we try.

We don't buy them often out of season or at the store for that reason.

If you live near Orem, Utah I can give you the info for the guy we get them from.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

dc

Cool dry Ventilated storage is the trick. Like root cellars

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

Ezra wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 10:48 am Just checked price for 1 ton of wheat plus buckets and all that would be needed for storage.

Sprinkle it on top of grain befor closeing lid and it will take out any weevils or whatever

Have the farmer "wash" the wheat twice - it makes for a cleaner wheat.

I have used diatomaceous earth with mixed success. I prefer putting the food in mylar bags and throwing in a couple O2 absorbers before I seal the mylar.

A number of years back, we picked up three of 1 ton bags of wheat from the local grainery. We had a bunch of people go in with us and we had a bucket filling party at our property. I was pretty cool.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Mala_Suerte wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 4:07 pm
Ezra wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 10:48 am Just checked price for 1 ton of wheat plus buckets and all that would be needed for storage.

I have used diatomaceous earth with mixed success. I prefer putting the food in mylar bags and throwing in a couple O2 absorbers before I seal the mylar.

A number of years back, we picked up three of 1 ton bags of wheat from the local grainery. We had a bunch of people go in with us and we had a bucket filling party at our property. I was pretty cool.
Ya we use our wheat so its cycled fairly quickly. This is not long term storage 5 years at most.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

Ezra wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 6:47 pm

Ya we use our wheat so its cycled fairly quickly. This is not long term storage 5 years at most.
Gotcha. Makes sense now. We use ours pretty regularly, but not as fast as you do. Now to find cheap honey. . .

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Mala_Suerte wrote: September 3rd, 2017, 12:35 pm
Ezra wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 6:47 pm

Gotcha. Makes sense now. We use ours pretty regularly, but not as fast as you do. Now to find cheap honey. . .
That would be 2 bee hives for us. Bees are fun.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

A good thing I've learned to check before purchasing a lot of wheat from the source is to see if the crop was 'dessicated' prior to harvest. This is where they hit the entire crop with some glyphosate (Round-up) just before harvesting so all the crop dies and dries at the same time as a way to increase the yield. You wouldn't really want to eat it if that's the case - lots of research showing digestive problems with glyphosate treated wheat. The farmer should know, or to be safe you could just go organic.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

nvr wrote: September 3rd, 2017, 10:22 pm A good thing I've learned to check before purchasing a lot of wheat from the source is to see if the crop was 'dessicated' prior to harvest. This is where they hit the entire crop with some glyphosate (Round-up) just before harvesting so all the crop dies and dries at the same time as a way to increase the yield. You wouldn't really want to eat it if that's the case - lots of research showing digestive problems with glyphosate treated wheat. The farmer should know, or to be safe you could just go organic.
Where can you find organic bulk wheat?

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

harakim wrote: September 4th, 2017, 10:39 pm
nvr wrote: September 3rd, 2017, 10:22 pm A good thing I've learned to check before purchasing a lot of wheat from the source is to see if the crop was 'dessicated' prior to harvest. This is where they hit the entire crop with some glyphosate (Round-up) just before harvesting so all the crop dies and dries at the same time as a way to increase the yield. You wouldn't really want to eat it if that's the case - lots of research showing digestive problems with glyphosate treated wheat. The farmer should know, or to be safe you could just go organic.
Where can you find organic bulk wheat?
We've gotten wheat and other foods from Azure Standard:
https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/cate ... heat/26340
I've also gotten organic Einkorn wheat from Jovial Foods. Einkorn's some good stuff as it doesn't seem to cause same wheat sensitivity concerns as it is an older [non-hybridized w/grasses] strain of wheat.
https://jovialfoods.com/product/organic ... t-berries/