The lessons of Katrina and Harvey

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

The lessons of Katrina and Harvey

Post by markharr »

The Mayor of Houston told people to shelter in place and now many are displaced due to Hurricane Harvey as they were with Katrina.

The mayor of your city doesn't have your best interests at heart, they have their best interests at heart.

have a financial reserve even if a few weeks worth is all you can do. Have food and water storage. I think a lot of people get hung up on the years worth of food storage and don't even try because they see that as an impossible or unobtainable goal. Just start with something and build upon that. If you have a weeks worth of food storage you are better off than if you had none. 80% of the world lives on rice and beans. you can live for a long time on rice and beans. They keep for decades, you can have weeks worth for under $100 and they will fit in a closet or under a bed. Even a college student in a dorm room can store rice and beans. No, it isn't ideal food storage, and it doesn't meet all of your nutritional needs, but it's better than nothing. If it's all you can do then at least do that. Store as much water as you reasonably store.

There are no excuses. Just do everything you can reasonably do.

awar_e
captain of 100

Re: The lessons of Katrina and Harvey

Post by awar_e »

Prophets speak in terms of at least 20 years in the future.
how long ago did Gordon B Hinckley state that he "would not speak to us again about food storage"
Some may thin that means it is no longer needed but others may fear that we no longer have time to get it. GMO foods may also be a reason for not trying to keep a lot on hand.
Or after about 40 years of warnings, those that follow prophets need no more time?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

markharr wrote: August 28th, 2017, 8:35 am The Mayor of Houston told people to shelter in place and now many are displaced due to Hurricane Harvey as they were with Katrina.

The mayor of your city doesn't have your best interests at heart, they have their best interests at heart.

have a financial reserve even if a few weeks worth is all you can do. Have food and water storage. I think a lot of people get hung up on the years worth of food storage and don't even try because they see that as an impossible or unobtainable goal. Just start with something and build upon that. If you have a weeks worth of food storage you are better off than if you had none. 80% of the world lives on rice and beans. you can live for a long time on rice and beans. They keep for decades, you can have weeks worth for under $100 and they will fit in a closet or under a bed. Even a college student in a dorm room can store rice and beans. No, it isn't ideal food storage, and it doesn't meet all of your nutritional needs, but it's better than nothing. If it's all you can do then at least do that. Store as much water as you reasonably store.

Are you an expert on evacuating 6,000,000 people? How well does your food storage do when submerged in water?

Do you know about the historic flooding that is happening in Houston and southeast Texas? Are you an expert on dealing with over 30 inches of rain?

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Arenera wrote: August 28th, 2017, 9:16 am
markharr wrote: August 28th, 2017, 8:35 am The Mayor of Houston told people to shelter in place and now many are displaced due to Hurricane Harvey as they were with Katrina.

Are you an expert on evacuating 6,000,000 people? How well does your food storage do when submerged in water?

Do you know about the historic flooding that is happening in Houston and southeast Texas? Are you an expert on dealing with over 30 inches of rain?

Five gallon buckets withstand floods surprisingly well when properly sealed. Are you suggesting that people don't have a food storage for disasters?

I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm suggesting that people rely on the lord and their own common sense. If a hurricane is approaching and your mayor is telling you to evacuate in place, I'm suggesting that you instead take a knee and ask the lord for guidance on what to do.

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

Turning to the Lord in the US has seemed to be out of favor since the internet began to spread all manner of nonsense.
Many are called, but few are chosen.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Who would want to even live on the coasts. That's just death and destruction waiting to happen...

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

If anyone is going to "evacuate", they have to have a place to evacuate to.
And conceivably it would be a place safer than that from which they evacuated. Where would that be? Just up the road?
6 million people on the road at one time? Don't you think that might cause a bit of a problem? And ... where are they going to go?
dc

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

Evacuation by the Lord seems nice compared to a longer life on Earth.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

awar_e wrote: August 28th, 2017, 9:06 am Prophets speak in terms of at least 20 years in the future.
how long ago did Gordon B Hinckley state that he "would not speak to us again about food storage"
Some may thin that means it is no longer needed but others may fear that we no longer have time to get it. GMO foods may also be a reason for not trying to keep a lot on hand.
Or after about 40 years of warnings, those that follow prophets need no more time?
I really hope it's not because those that follow prophets need no more time. When I was a new church member I was told: "We used to hear about food storage all the time." People said the same thing back then, leaving me to wonder if they thought I didn't deserve blessings because I hadn't been raised in the church.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: August 28th, 2017, 4:53 pm If anyone is going to "evacuate", they have to have a place to evacuate to.
And conceivably it would be a place safer than that from which they evacuated. Where would that be? Just up the road?
6 million people on the road at one time? Don't you think that might cause a bit of a problem? And ... where are they going to go?
dc
Six million people on the road at one time? Where do you get that number from?

Oh, I get it. You think that 91% of the people on church rolls would immediately respond if the prophet told us to gather somewhere. You think that every single active church members, including those who are members of the LDS social club and wolves in sheep's clothing would not hesitate to follow the prophet. You think that people who haven't been inside a church building in decades, people who don't even consider themselves Latter-day Saints but were once baptized will immediately heed the call.

Would you be offended if I disagreed?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: August 28th, 2017, 8:14 pm
David13 wrote: August 28th, 2017, 4:53 pm If anyone is going to "evacuate", they have to have a place to evacuate to.
dc

Oh, I get it. You think that 91% of the people on church rolls would immediately respond if the prophet told us to gather somewhere. You think that every single active church members, including those who are members of the LDS social club and wolves in sheep's clothing would not hesitate to follow the prophet. You think that people who haven't been inside a church building in decades, people who don't even consider themselves Latter-day Saints but were once baptized will immediately heed the call.

We're taking here about Houston. Not the church.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: August 28th, 2017, 9:06 pm
brianj wrote: August 28th, 2017, 8:14 pm
dc

We're taking here about Houston. Not the church.
dc
How did I miss that?

It's been done before. Over half the population of Houston evacuated for Rita, if I'm not mistaken.

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

Being of one mind and purpose does not leave much room for endless debate.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

awar_e wrote: August 29th, 2017, 1:30 am Being of one mind and purpose does not leave much room for endless debate.
I often conclude that a lot of people believe being of one mind and one heart means we all have to agree on everything. Naturally, I disagree. We have heard a description of deliberation within the Quorum of the Twelve as beginning with no agreement but as they discuss the issue they are inspired to come to a united decision. I believe this is the example that we all will be expected to follow.

We won't endlessly debate without anything changing as we do on this forum and we won't all agree at the beginning. We will seek inspiration as we debate an issue and come to an inspired agreement.