What do you do when...?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

What do you do when...?

Post by gardener4life »

Here's a thought I was thinking about this week. It sort of hit me recently and I think a LOT of people NEED to be able answer this question to be prepared.

What do you do when you are doing everything you can to be self reliant, and have your food storage but a family member who you can't get put out of the house is stealing / using it for non-emergencies?

Many of you might not even realize your own family members might be doing this to you. You might have a live in family member who wants to have more spending money for video games or to go the bar, or just for having more $ for themselves. So what do they do? Instead of buying their own groceries they are using mom and dad's food storage. And you can't get rid of them because mom and dad are conditioned to not allow someone to be put out of the house, even if they have no sense of cooperation.

I first noticed that one of my family members was using my groceries. This was the tip off. You could say that maybe they were poor but this person was making more than enough but just using it at places they shouldn't. Then I noticed they were using the food storage to save a buck. Then when they were caught repeatedly they would buy a few things from the grocery store so they'd have a receipt in pocket to 'prove' they weren't stealing. But then they'd still use the food storage but mix in one or two cheap items from their 'proof' bag.

What good is preparedness if selfish people are using it? And you can't do anything about them without having all family members on board with any kind of discipline. And surprisingly enough the law favors delinquents. If you have a family member sneaking people in your house at 2 AM in the morning currently the law will protect them instead of you when you try to kick them out even if they are obvious drug or bar people.

This is more than just bringing this up. It's uncomfortable to bring up in real person, real time. But on the internet we can deal with it easier because there's less drama, there's anonymity etc.

The fact is...you can't get anywhere with any kind of preparedness if you have selfish people in your family living parasitically of others. So that means some people who would have been prepared won't be because of someone else even though they were doing what they should. Not fair...

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What do you do when...?

Post by Silver »

In the same chapter of the Matthew's Gospel, we find this:
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

And this:
43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

And especially this:
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

So I can see you are in a real pickle. One thought popped into my mind as I read about your dilemma. What if you moved? What if you just moved away from that person and there was no room in your next house for the guy (gal?) eating your food storage?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

gardener4life,

What do you do if you work hard to build up storage and your house burns down? What do you do if God tells you to flee?

You do the best you can. You follow God's commandments, then trust God! We are imperfect, and for one reason or another are often fail even when we do our best. That is one of the differences between following God's commandments, and so many earthly things. For God, it is the input that counts, not so much the results.

If you are playing a sport, it only matters if you win or lose, not how hard you play. But in God's world it ONLY matters how hard you play!

Now you haven't explained much about your situation. For example are you living with your parents or are they living with you? Do you NEED to live with them or they with you?

Regards,

Georg Clay

bellabella
Hi, I'm new.

Post by bellabella »

Hi Gardener4life!
I respect what you are trying to do. I have been in the exact same situation---both sides. The one doling out and the one taking. Both sets of parents, while we were newly married not only housed us, but at times provided groceries. There was a rule established, however, that made things very clear. We used a separate fridge and bought our own groceries, because it was very kindly mentioned by our parents, if we could use a separate fridge, so that it could fit our groceries in...they also cleared out a couple of cupboards so we could fit our own dry goods into. They also mentioned if we could take a day or two for cooking for the whole family. That way, it alleviated the pressure of the cost of meals, and the cost of groceries. If they still persisted in 'stealing' the food, without helping out with meals or providing their own food, then I would sit down and either establish a way that they could pay X amount for groceries every month, if they were not able to do what had been talked about previously. If they were given enough time and still didn't contribute, I would sit down with them and let them know that this is putting you in a bind financially---that you are more than happy to have them there, and to have them save their money, but that it is starting to put you in a difficult position. That if they weren't able to contribute in some way, that they would have to start looking for another place. All in love, though. I think there are a lot of people that are able to help to the max with their children (times and seasons); and then there are some who want to help, but financially, it's difficult. Do what you can, and let them know that that is all you can do. And that they will need to pick up the slack of what you are not able to help with. Good luck!