New here with a question about food storage

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
BackBlast
captain of 100

Re: New here with a question about food storage

Post by BackBlast »

jrobin wrote:...I would rather have peace of mind, so I will purchase what's needed, but I must ask what are your thoughts on wheat?

Thanks for any insight you may have it is much appreciated!

jrobin
The church's recent pamphlet "all is safely gathered in " has good advice. Get a 3 month supply and a longer term supply. The 3 month supply can help prevent a diet shock if or when you need to use your long term supply.

You don't need to follow anyone's formula on the longer term supply. Just know that you need about 420 lbs of food per adult (dry weight), you can shrink that for children. This includes freeze dried, who tend to overstate how long you can live on their food. I would definitely lean towards more familiar foods if available.

BackBlast
captain of 100

Post by BackBlast »

vertigo wrote:
I am so interested in learning how to make a natural yeast and letting my dough ferment to make it healthier. Can you please tell me more about the yeast and process you use?
You can pull yeast out of the air that will work. The water used to soak wheat when sprouting it will have suitable strains of yeast.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

We like to make a crusty bread you bake in a Dutch oven, it only has 1/4 teas. Yeast but ferments for 18 hrs . I would suggest for any food storage you add alfalfa sprouts, and other sprouting seeds (radish, broccoli, etc.) 2 Tbs. Alfalfa seeds gives a full quart of sprouts , which offers 14% of your daily vitamin C and prevents scurvy . Dr. Clive McKay, a nutritional professor at Cornell (during WWll ) determined. bean sprouts "a vegetable that will Grow in any climate , will rival meat in nutritional value, will mature in 3 to 5 days maybe plated any day of the year will require neither soil nor sunshine, will rival tomatoes in vitamin C , will be free of waste in preparation and can be cooked with little fuel. It's amazing to consider how valuable this discovery was in a time when resources were low and the need for nutritious food was high. The lids for a quart bottle are cheap, (kitchen kneads sells them for $3.00) so along with vitamins I store lots of sprouting seeds, and crusty bread in our good Dutch oven we are good.

BackBlast
captain of 100

Post by BackBlast »

Original_Intent wrote:Most canned goods are a "best by" date, not an expiration date....
I've used beef chunk from the cannery - let's just say WAY past the date - in curry and it was fine.
There are people who cannot eat food that is anywhere close to the best by date. There are people who can eat it years afterwards. It is worth understanding if any in your family are on the sensitive side of the spectrum.

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Don't forget seasonings, spices, etc in your food storage...food can taste pretty bland without salt, pepper and so on.

Although, there is that quote about hunger being the best seasoning!

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

BackBlast wrote: There are people who cannot eat food that is anywhere close to the best by date.
Cannot or would not? Just curious, I myself sometimes eat food after the best by date if it looks, smells and tastes good.

BackBlast
captain of 100

Post by BackBlast »

inho wrote:
BackBlast wrote: There are people who cannot eat food that is anywhere close to the best by date.
Cannot or would not? Just curious, I myself sometimes eat food after the best by date if it looks, smells and tastes good.
Cannot. My wife cannot eat any fat that has gone remotely rancid, it makes her very ill. If you do a blind test she will pick out the old food every time, even if you have put it into a recipe that ought to make it impossible to tell. We've found that some foods are sold rancid, and some stores hang onto food and sell them right up through the best buy date. Any food that even approaches it's best buy date, relative to manufacture date, becomes quite impossible for her to eat. Which means by experience I know what local stores have poor inventory management practices.

She also cannot eat beans that have been stored for more than 2-3 years regardless of method. They begin to become too hard to properly cook, even with sprouting. Oats stored for more than 5 years is about her limit. Brown rice up to about 6 months to a year. Most other long term foods are good to go.

She is the "canary" so to speak, she is sensitive to foods when they have their first "change" that most people don't even notice.

Kristin82
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Kristin82 »

I’m Kristin. I live in Brampton. I have a small farm in my yard containing 15 raised garden beds, having small daily crops like Tomato, Cucumber, Turnips, Leeks etc in small quantity. In earlier days, I had my children with me. Now that they had returned to school and my husband is on constant tours, I find it hard to maintain the cultivated. So, I was hoping to build a garden shed for keeping my crops and other utensils that I don’t need in a daily basis. The ones that helped me in building the raised garden beds that I now use for planting the crops also build storage sheds in Brampton. I was hoping to find a reasonable alternative that I can use other than this option of taking a part out of my garden space for a shed, so that I can start planting some flowers too, for my evening tea relaxation.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Kristin82 wrote: June 23rd, 2017, 1:32 am So, I was hoping to build a garden shed for keeping my crops and other utensils that I don’t need in a daily basis. The ones that helped me in building the raised garden beds that I now use for planting the crops also build storage sheds in Brampton. I was hoping to find a reasonable alternative that I can use other than this option of taking a part out of my garden space for a shed, so that I can start planting some flowers too, for my evening tea relaxation.
I'm not exactly sure what or how big the tools are that you want to store but perhaps a deck box would be sufficient.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... boxes.html

Having lived in Ontario, almost all cities there have restrictions for the location of a shed on the property and require a building permit.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

jrobin wrote: September 13th, 2016, 10:35 pm Hi!

I'm brand new to the board, :) and I have a question about food storage.

I am on a quest to finish my 1 year supply of food storage and looked up the guidelines for my family of 7. The church suggest 924lbs of wheat for the whole year. I am willing to get that in order, but first have a few questions about it.

1) Unfortunately, I have Celiac's and don't eat wheat so I will have to find a substitute to sustain me (but my other 6 members will be fine). Any suggestions?

2) That's a LOT of wheat! I have no clue what I would do with that much wheat. I have an electrical grinder that works and I'm willing to learn if needed, but I also don't want to waste money on buying so much wheat and don't actually eat it. When I think of getting food storage in order, I would rather have peace of mind, so I will purchase what's needed, but I must ask what are your thoughts on wheat?

Thanks for any insight you may have it is much appreciated!

jrobin
Spelt is a possibility for some people with celiac. However recent research from about 5 years ago indicated that wheat bread made using a true sour dough starter does not have the same effect on those with celiac. As well, sour dough is really kind oi a misnomer as when one becomes accomplished you can hardly tell the difference. There are multiple types. One is called a Russian sourdough which is faster and near normal wheat bread flavor.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... ugh-bread/

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ac-disease

Kristin82
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Kristin82 »

Sunain wrote: June 23rd, 2017, 3:14 pm
Kristin82 wrote: June 23rd, 2017, 1:32 am So, I was hoping to build a garden shed for keeping my crops and other utensils that I don’t need in a daily basis. The ones that helped me in building the raised garden beds that I now use for planting the crops also build storage sheds in Brampton. I was hoping to find a reasonable alternative that I can use other than this option of taking a part out of my garden space for a shed, so that I can start planting some flowers too, for my evening tea relaxation.
I'm not exactly sure what or how big the tools are that you want to store but perhaps a deck box would be sufficient.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... boxes.html

Having lived in Ontario, almost all cities there have restrictions for the location of a shed on the property and require a building permit.
Thanks Sunain for the suggestion.
The builders that I mentioned earlier do also provide the sort of deck boxes. Actually I thought I would be using a shed with minimal area in my yard, so that the place could also be used as a mini storage for those items, which are gathered on my children's rooms, so that the room can be used as a mini home gym or even a studio space for my passion in photography. Maybe your idea could me more reasonable at present. Thanks once again.

FamilyFunnyFarm
captain of 50

Post by FamilyFunnyFarm »

We store more oats and rice instead of wheat. My family is full of celiacs and these are what we use for flours. Also quinoa. There's lots of alternatives out there.

Baysimove
captain of 100

Post by Baysimove »

Great! You can still store fr the rest of our family and store your own consumption separately.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

You know you aren't the only one with wheat intolerance, celiac, or however you classify it. Mormon 8:31 mentions pollutions upon the face of the land. And it just so happens that a huge number of people are increasingly wheat intolerant. And many of those with wheat intolerance also have trouble with eggs, and milk products.

This is interesting too. I have this relative that can eat brown eggs sold in stores (also with celiac disease, or celiac sprue), but can't eat the white eggs. I was really baffled why that could be at first because they are both chicken eggs. But the brown egg type she was buying were chemical free organic stuff. And it was a very sharp contrast that white eggs would always make her sick, but brown eggs also wouldn't ever. I think this has more to do with the growth of chemical sensitivity, which is very common with people with food allergies. People all over are becoming very sensitive to chemicals, and often too many chemicals are used growing the food we buy from the store. I think there's a reason for this happening...

Do you also have chemical sensitivity?

With regards to food storage....

Wheat has an advantage in that it can be stored for vast periods of time and still be usable both for cooking and to grow new wheat! It has one of the longest shelf lives of other vegetable products! So that is good. However there's the down side too in loss when you grind it down. Rice by contrast can store very little but when you cook it, it will absorb huge amounts of water and expand so it has more ability to food a large group of people from being stored! The down side of rice though is that it requires a very particular wet climate to grow it...

So they each have their advantages.

Also you can get a lot of ideas by comparing how people raise families in less developed countries. Like so many Latin people raise healthy beautiful children on rice and beans.

Beans are a must; protein is very low in wheat and rice both. So the beans idea will be needed no matter what route you go.

I would advise against trying to trick your body to eat wheat. People with wheat intolerance get really sick trying to eat wheat, even having it damage their stomach lining over time and that can end up how you end up with Crone's Disease, carrying a colostomy bag around.

You can also think about what crops grow easily in your area. part of food storage and self sufficiency is thinking well if something happens in a rebuilding period I'd have to be able to grow certain things to replenish what I lose. And there's always a chance I'd have to be self sufficient because as the world gets more shaken up, the less I can rely on others.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

also to the guy who has the wife sensitive to beans that are too hard... other people I know with same problem let the beans soak overnight and then cook them the next day, problem solved...and that's coming from a family with food and chemical sensitivity issues including wheat problems.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

gardener4life wrote: July 27th, 2017, 11:41 pm also to the guy who has the wife sensitive to beans that are too hard... other people I know with same problem let the beans soak overnight and then cook them the next day, problem solved...and that's coming from a family with food and chemical sensitivity issues including wheat problems.
For Beans stored over 4 to 5 years every food storage should have a small pressure cooker. To my understanding it is the only way to make a hard bean soft again.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

lenox you are a smart guy. I saw you said some cool stuff about self sufficiency. thanks!

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

You can sub wheat with another grain. Try Sorgham.