Guns! Guns! Guns!

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
abelchirino
captain of 100

Re: Guns! Guns! Guns!

Post by abelchirino »

LostAndFoundAgain wrote:
abelchirino wrote: I live in Houston, Texas, and I assume it shouldn't be difficult for me to find one around but I want to hear from those with more experience.
I am in Houston as well- about 15 minutes from the Temple.

You are welcome to PM me if you would like some insight, or just want to go to the range. Weather is awesome right now!

+1 on BUDS
Awesome! I live in the Spring Branch area, not far away from the Temple. Is there a range you like to go the most to? For sure, I'll send you a message one of these days.

LostAndFoundAgain
captain of 10

Post by LostAndFoundAgain »

It depends.

I live right around the corner from you in JV. I typically just hit Hot Wells. $10 per gun, and I usually set up in the two booths next to each other- so I can alternate between the 7 and 25 yard lanes. I can spend 10 dollars and stay all day long, if I only brought one gun. :)

And if you buy a gun online, I would recommend them for the transfer. It's $25 per weapon.A lot of folks charge twice that.

If you are getting into the battle rifle game, I would recommend checking out Radical Firearms. And if you are building, they and Primary Arms charge $35 for the first FFL and $15 for each additional.

If your building an 80% lower- you can use my drill press.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

abelchirino wrote:
Sandinista wrote:I love this thread! Everyone has their opinions and you know what? That's just fine! Practice a lot with a lot of different handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Find out what you like and then practice some more. I personally prefer .22 caliber Ruger 10/22's and have several of them including a takedown model in my 72 hour pack along with 600 rounds loaded in 25 round magazines. I prefer AR-15 platforms over AK-47 platforms mainly because that's what I'm used to and have several configured in different ways. But it's a personal preference. I love Glocks and have several (Glock 19 is my personal carry weapon - easy to shoot, cheap, and effective if you know what you are doing). My wife carries a Glock 26 as her personal carry weapon, but other women in our ward like revolvers like the Ruger LCR which you can get in various calibers, or something similar. I also have handguns by Ruger and Smith&Wesson, both semi-auto and revolvers in various calibers and love shooting them all. I have "hunting" rifles by Winchester and Remington, among others, in 7x57mm Mauser, .257 Roberts, .308 Winchester, .30-30, .30-06, and more. All great to shoot for their intended game. Shotguns I prefer Brownings and Mossbergs, again various models.

One thing I do recommend is to learn to reload your own ammunition. It's a great hobby, keeps the cost of ammunition reasonable, and allows you to really "dial in" what you are shooting. I load a lot more than just the ammunition/calibers I personally shoot, and support my friends and family members (no I don't charge them, I just like the hobby!).

So take the advice of several members who have commented on this thread. Do ask a lot of questions like you are doing, learn about the weapons you are considering, try them out/practice with them, and find what you are comfortable with. And then practice some more! :)
Is it safe to reload your own ammunition?
Absolutely! It's not rocket science! :)

You need the right equipment, manuals, instruction, etc., but once you've learned the basics and are set up it's easy. Find someone who reloads and ask them if they are willing to teach you, or see if there is a local gun club or gun store that might offer classes. You can get a pretty good basic set up with everything you need for about $400. You can spend a lot more if you really get into it, but a good RCBS package from someone like Cabela's will get you started and they usually have them on sale all the time for $350-400.

There are dozens of You Tube videos out there that can show you the basic steps, equipment, etc. Or another good place to start would be to buy a re-loading manual from Hornady, Speer, or Nosler (all companies who sell bullets, brass and other components).

Like anything with firearms you need to follow safety rules and use the right equipment, but it is no more dangerous that working on your own car, using power tools to build a shed or deck, or anything like that.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

abelchirino wrote:I want to get a revolver eventually but I still don't know which one to go for. A coworker told me that I should get a .357 Magnum.
May I ask why a revolver? Revolvers have a few advantages: being simpler, they are easier to use and maintain, they are easier for poorly trained or untrained people to use, and there is less to break. But they also have plenty of disadvantages: They are much slower to reload (unless you practice a LOT), the trigger pull is always a longer and heavier double action pull unless you train yourself to take the time to thumb cock after every shot, you are limited to between five and seven rounds with a fully loaded revolver when a lot of pistols carry 15 or more rounds, and you will find a lot less after market parts for revolvers - meaning less inexpensive, do-it-yourself customization.

If you do choose to go with a revolver, .357 Magnum is a great caliber. You can practice with less expensive .38 Special ammunition, the .357 mag ammo has a lot of stopping power, and the muzzle blast is quite intimidating.
abelchirino wrote:Is it safe to reload your own ammunition?
I think Sandnista gave you a good answer, but I would give a different brand recommendation.

They are more expensive, but I would suggest looking at Dillon Precision. If you are only reloading handgun calibers, their Square Deal B is a decent press: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... 39_B__039_

Dillon presses come with some of the best customer service in the industry. Call them up with any questions you have and they will take all the time a customer needs to get things running right. If something breaks they will promptly ship you a replacement part, no questions asked.

And, in addition to the reloading press, dies, and components, you will also want to get yourself a brass tumbler. These use crushed walnut shells or corn cobs with polishing medium to clean and polish fired brass. The clean brass looks nicer and will more easily load and unload than brass that hasn't been cleaned in the same way.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

abelchirino wrote:
skmo wrote:Good points. I like the simplicity of a revolver, though. My one favorite handgun in the world is my GP100 stainless with a 6" half-lug barrel. Loaded with .38 Special loads, it kicks less and is about the same noise level as my Glock 19. I was reminded of how great a revolver can be when I fell and broke my wrist a few years ago. There was no way I could pull back the slide on any of my autos, but my revolvers all did just fine. I decided the GP100 was too big for everyday carry, so we got a Ruger LCR which really impressed me. I'll admit, with .357 loads, it's VERY loud and has quite a kick, but with .38s it's very manageable.

One of my other favorite handguns is my Taurus 941 which is an 8-shot .22 Magnum revolver. No kick and 8 shots. only a 5" barrel, so I won't win target comps with it, but I can and do hit jack rabbits out here in the Uintah Basin.

I have to say, though, my first choice for a protection carry gun has to be my (sadly gone, since I owed my cousin) HK USP Tactical .45 Auto. I could shoot inside a quarter all day at 25 yards with it, and with the suppressor I'd do it without ear protection. I miss that gun.
I want to get a revolver eventually but I still don't know which one to go for. A coworker told me that I should get a .357 Magnum.
Taurus makes great revolvers, I've had one of their .38s for over 20 years and never had a single problem w/ it. Your co-worker gave you good advice. A .357 has great manageable power, but what's nice is that you can shoot .38s out of it. .38 is cheaper and there is less recoil, so it's great to practice with. The GP100, made by Ruger, that skmo recommends is a great gun.

In buying a revolver, you really can't go wrong if you stick w/ the major brands, such as Ruger, S&W, Taurus, Colt, etc. My wife's favorite gun and the one she feels most confidant with is my Taurus .38.

ETA: Should have read all the posts before I responded. Brianj cover a lot of what I said.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

LostAndFoundAgain wrote:It depends.

I live right around the corner from you in JV. I typically just hit Hot Wells. $10 per gun, and I usually set up in the two booths next to each other- so I can alternate between the 7 and 25 yard lanes. I can spend 10 dollars and stay all day long, if I only brought one gun. :)

And if you buy a gun online, I would recommend them for the transfer. It's $25 per weapon.A lot of folks charge twice that.

If you are getting into the battle rifle game, I would recommend checking out Radical Firearms. And if you are building, they and Primary Arms charge $35 for the first FFL and $15 for each additional.

I don't mean to be "that guy", but just an FYI, the part in bold was recently made illegal by our overreaching and corrupt BATF. 80% lower build parties are also illegal. That being said, starting with an 80% is a great way to build an ar b/c it's cheap and you don't have to purchase using through a FFL or fill out any paper work.

LostAndFoundAgain
captain of 10

Post by LostAndFoundAgain »

Mala_Suerte wrote:

I don't mean to be "that guy", but just an FYI, the part in bold was recently made illegal by our overreaching and corrupt BATF. 80% lower build parties are also illegal. That being said, starting with an 80% is a great way to build an ar b/c it's cheap and you don't have to purchase using through a FFL or fill out any paper work.
Sir,

If you are going to be "That Guy" please cite actual law, not "Opinion Letters". Posts like this are factually inaccurate and grossly assumptive. There is no opinion letter floating around saying what tools he can and cannot use on his build, or forbidding him from using my drill press.

I believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. Not opinions.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

Oops, I missed part of the BATF's interpretation of the GCA of '68. If the person who owns the tools is making a profit, then that person cannot allow another person to use their tools.

Saying you're not subject to opinions, however, is laughable. You're subject to opinions from the FDA, FCC, FTC, EPA, BLM, not to mention executive orders, on a daily basis. While I agree the aforementioned agencies have taken a lot liberties, to go against the agencies "opinion" will lead to a whole lot of legal fees and the distinct possibility of jail time.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

brianj wrote:
abelchirino wrote:I want to get a revolver eventually but I still don't know which one to go for. A coworker told me that I should get a .357 Magnum.
May I ask why a revolver? Revolvers have a few advantages: being simpler, they are easier to use and maintain, they are easier for poorly trained or untrained people to use, and there is less to break. But they also have plenty of disadvantages: They are much slower to reload (unless you practice a LOT), the trigger pull is always a longer and heavier double action pull unless you train yourself to take the time to thumb cock after every shot, you are limited to between five and seven rounds with a fully loaded revolver when a lot of pistols carry 15 or more rounds, and you will find a lot less after market parts for revolvers - meaning less inexpensive, do-it-yourself customization.

If you do choose to go with a revolver, .357 Magnum is a great caliber. You can practice with less expensive .38 Special ammunition, the .357 mag ammo has a lot of stopping power, and the muzzle blast is quite intimidating.
abelchirino wrote:Is it safe to reload your own ammunition?
I think Sandnista gave you a good answer, but I would give a different brand recommendation.

They are more expensive, but I would suggest looking at Dillon Precision. If you are only reloading handgun calibers, their Square Deal B is a decent press: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... 39_B__039_

Dillon presses come with some of the best customer service in the industry. Call them up with any questions you have and they will take all the time a customer needs to get things running right. If something breaks they will promptly ship you a replacement part, no questions asked.

And, in addition to the reloading press, dies, and components, you will also want to get yourself a brass tumbler. These use crushed walnut shells or corn cobs with polishing medium to clean and polish fired brass. The clean brass looks nicer and will more easily load and unload than brass that hasn't been cleaned in the same way.
Haven't tried it yet myself but the rage seems to be liquid tumbling with stainless pellets vs. dealing with dusty corn cobs or noisy walnut shells. Speak more on it after I get a new setup and try it...

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Mala_Suerte wrote:Taurus makes great revolvers, I've had one of their .38s for over 20 years and never had a single problem w/ it. Your co-worker gave you good advice. A .357 has great manageable power, but what's nice is that you can shoot .38s out of it. .38 is cheaper and there is less recoil, so it's great to practice with. The GP100, made by Ruger, that skmo recommends is a great gun.
The new (meaning last 10 years or so) Taurus stuff is really good. Previous to that, you sometimes really had a crap shoot. For a while in the 90's, Taurus really had some QC issues. A lot of their stuff was still really excellent, but every now and then a real piece of crap would come through. I never had any bad guns, but I had a friend who had a .38 revolver of theirs that just sucked. What's worse was their customer service at the time was horrible.

They're doing things top rate these days. I have no qualms about putting down money on a Taurus, and I have to say, my 941 is one of my very favorite guns.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

I decided to go with this rifle. What do y'all think? The kit was $399 and the lower was $49.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... e-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

I bought a rifle kit and a lower from Palmetto State Armory. The rifle kit comes with the Lower Build Kit and I just had to buy the lower separately. I bought a PSA Blemished Safe/Lower Receiver and it says that it is a stripped lower receiver. I don't think that I have to anything to it other than assemble it with the parts that come in the Lower Build Kit. Do you have the tools that are needed to assemble it?

I'm the Stake Clerk in the Spanish West Stake, we just organized a ward in Jersey Village a couple of weeks ago.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

abelchirino wrote:I decided to go with this rifle. What do y'all think? The kit was $399 and the lower was $49.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... e-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you don't already have them, you will want a roll pin punch set and a pivot pin detention install tool. You probably already have a hammer to drive the roll pins into place, and some electric tape to protect the finish as you drive a he roll pin retaining the bolt release, but if not you will want the tape and need the hammer. An AR-15 multi tool is useful for tightening the nut that retains the buffer tube, but I have successfully improvised.

Other than needed tools, your kit links like a good start. Eventually you will want something like the Magpul MOE trigger guard, a better charging handle, a better trigger, maybe another pistol grip, handguard, etc. Parts are so easy to replace and there are so many options for customizing that you will find this kit a good starting point.

BenjaminHarrison
captain of 10

Post by BenjaminHarrison »

If I was going to get another AR I would look seriously at Head Down Products or POF although I would get one in 7.62x51 (.308), but that's just me. If you are going buy a weapon, the rifle should be your first project, then a good tactical shotgun for your home defense and then a side arm or two to carry with you. A .357 mag is a good start, but nothing compares to a good automatic. The FN 5.7 (if you can find one) or one of the HK's out now are hard to beat. I carry the Sig 227 SAS in .45 auto around town. It is really accurate for the size and isn't as ugly as the Glocks.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Glocks are pretty.
Everyone should have at least one.
dc

cynikal
captain of 10

Post by cynikal »

I like AK's but building your own AR like the PSA Kits or parts from all over is a fun way to do it. Over the years I have out fitted my whole family with a rifle. Each one a little different, but mechanically if one goes our the others can be uses for spares. when my 5 girls (yes, 5 girls) start shooting I pop the 22LR conversion in until big enough to use the full size 556 round. the stocks are all collapsible to fit their frames. They all have there own chest rigs and I have my plate carrier with Lvl3+ plates. my "Night Angels" are practiced in patrol and hasty ambush tactics. we set up hidden plates in the woods and "patrol" in to them - real fun seeing them make contact and back out of a fire fight.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

Do any of you sell privately? If so, what advice do you have for me?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

abelchirino wrote:Do any of you sell privately? If so, what advice do you have for me?
I don't know where you live so area specific advice is out.

The average citizen doesn't have access to NCIC, NICS, or other criminal databases so we can't do our ow background check. It's a felony to sell a gun to anybody you know, or should have known, is ineligible to own a firearm. Though we can't conduct a background check on purchasers, I wouldn't be surprised if a prosecutor somewhere tried claiming we should have known a purchaser was a convicted felon because they weren't buying from a licensed dealer. What I do to avoid that possibility is limit sales to people I know personally or to people who hold a concealed weapons permit.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

brianj wrote:
abelchirino wrote:Do any of you sell privately? If so, what advice do you have for me?
I don't know where you live so area specific advice is out.

The average citizen doesn't have access to NCIC, NICS, or other criminal databases so we can't do our ow background check. It's a felony to sell a gun to anybody you know, or should have known, is ineligible to own a firearm. Though we can't conduct a background check on purchasers, I wouldn't be surprised if a prosecutor somewhere tried claiming we should have known a purchaser was a convicted felon because they weren't buying from a licensed dealer. What I do to avoid that possibility is limit sales to people I know personally or to people who hold a concealed weapons permit.
Great advice! Thanks!

I live in Houston, Texas.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

In California it is illegal to sell any gun to anyone without going thru' a ffl and cfl Federal Firearms Licensee and California Firearms Licensee. They charge a fee and make a record of the sale/transfer, collect sales tax, and do a background check, and hold the gun for 10 days before the pick up is allowed by the buyer.
If somebody wanted to buy from me (I'm not selling) and they didn't want to do it that way, I would definitely pass.
It's important for people in California to sell only to residents of California, as many of the guns owned are no longer available for sale in California, and if they are sold out of state, they can never come back to anyone in California. In other states, you can just buy any gun you want.
None of that reduces crime in any way shape or form, but it makes the idiot politicians and others "feel good".
dc

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

"Never sell, always buy". No such thing as too many guns, just not enough time to clean and shoot them all.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I just found out (not a gun nut, or even close) that there are .22LR and 9mm semi-automatic 15-26 round rifles and AR-15 types. And they are cheap--rifles at $130-200, and AR-15's at $250-400+. Very light (some at 4lbs), shorter, much quieter, very little recoil and if you miss the first few times, no problem. Something even the little ones could shoot without problems. Seeing as it would be for fun and home safety, I'm quite happy.