Guns! Guns! Guns!

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
cynikal
captain of 10

Re: Guns! Guns! Guns!

Post by cynikal »

I like AK's but building your own AR like the PSA Kits or parts from all over is a fun way to do it. Over the years I have out fitted my whole family with a rifle. Each one a little different, but mechanically if one goes our the others can be uses for spares. when my 5 girls (yes, 5 girls) start shooting I pop the 22LR conversion in until big enough to use the full size 556 round. the stocks are all collapsible to fit their frames. They all have there own chest rigs and I have my plate carrier with Lvl3+ plates. my "Night Angels" are practiced in patrol and hasty ambush tactics. we set up hidden plates in the woods and "patrol" in to them - real fun seeing them make contact and back out of a fire fight.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

Do any of you sell privately? If so, what advice do you have for me?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

abelchirino wrote:Do any of you sell privately? If so, what advice do you have for me?
I don't know where you live so area specific advice is out.

The average citizen doesn't have access to NCIC, NICS, or other criminal databases so we can't do our ow background check. It's a felony to sell a gun to anybody you know, or should have known, is ineligible to own a firearm. Though we can't conduct a background check on purchasers, I wouldn't be surprised if a prosecutor somewhere tried claiming we should have known a purchaser was a convicted felon because they weren't buying from a licensed dealer. What I do to avoid that possibility is limit sales to people I know personally or to people who hold a concealed weapons permit.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

brianj wrote:
abelchirino wrote:Do any of you sell privately? If so, what advice do you have for me?
I don't know where you live so area specific advice is out.

The average citizen doesn't have access to NCIC, NICS, or other criminal databases so we can't do our ow background check. It's a felony to sell a gun to anybody you know, or should have known, is ineligible to own a firearm. Though we can't conduct a background check on purchasers, I wouldn't be surprised if a prosecutor somewhere tried claiming we should have known a purchaser was a convicted felon because they weren't buying from a licensed dealer. What I do to avoid that possibility is limit sales to people I know personally or to people who hold a concealed weapons permit.
Great advice! Thanks!

I live in Houston, Texas.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

In California it is illegal to sell any gun to anyone without going thru' a ffl and cfl Federal Firearms Licensee and California Firearms Licensee. They charge a fee and make a record of the sale/transfer, collect sales tax, and do a background check, and hold the gun for 10 days before the pick up is allowed by the buyer.
If somebody wanted to buy from me (I'm not selling) and they didn't want to do it that way, I would definitely pass.
It's important for people in California to sell only to residents of California, as many of the guns owned are no longer available for sale in California, and if they are sold out of state, they can never come back to anyone in California. In other states, you can just buy any gun you want.
None of that reduces crime in any way shape or form, but it makes the idiot politicians and others "feel good".
dc

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

"Never sell, always buy". No such thing as too many guns, just not enough time to clean and shoot them all.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I just found out (not a gun nut, or even close) that there are .22LR and 9mm semi-automatic 15-26 round rifles and AR-15 types. And they are cheap--rifles at $130-200, and AR-15's at $250-400+. Very light (some at 4lbs), shorter, much quieter, very little recoil and if you miss the first few times, no problem. Something even the little ones could shoot without problems. Seeing as it would be for fun and home safety, I'm quite happy.