Nylon tent vs Canvas tent

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Nylon tent vs Canvas tent

Post by iWriteStuff »

Some fellow preppers at church and I were discussing the merits of nylon tents vs canvas tents. I was told nylon tents are crap and the only tent worth owning is a canvas tent. This is sad news to me, since all I have is a nylon tent and canvas tents are kinda on the spendy side.

Anyone else here have any opinions on the subject? Better yet, what can be done with a nylon tent to make it more durable and heat efficient? I would like to consider modifying it or reinforcing it prior to just chucking it altogether and starting over with a canvas tent. I've also made some improvised tent heaters that are both energy efficient and cost efficient, so that should help.

Please tell me I don't need to go shell out $300 for a canvas tent. I'm doing all I can just to fill the tent with warm things.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Re: Nylon tent vs Canvas tent

Post by braingrunt »

$300 for a canvas tent?! Where are you getting a deal like that!

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

braingrunt wrote:$300 for a canvas tent?! Where are you getting a deal like that!
I know a fella who knows a fella who makes things fall off the back of a truck....

JK

http://www.davistent.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is where I was told to go. Cheapest is $349 to start.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

No kidding.....I think he forgot a 0 on that price tag.
http://www.barebonesliving.com/store/ou ... afari-tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, several companies make small canvas tents for under $500 now. Guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ElectLady
captain of 100

Post by ElectLady »

I'm not an expert, just chiming in...I would guess it would depend on what you are prepping for. If you plan to live in it long term, then a canvas one would hold up better than nylon, obviously. We grew up always camping in a canvas tent. But it is very heavy, so it's not the thing to pack in case you are escaping of foot. A nylon tent is more for that purpose. Eventually, I guess get both. So far I have several nylon tents and figured I'd use tarps above and beneath them to help protect them. We also have a dining tent that could cover tents and attach tarps around the 4 wall/sides. I just know at this point in my preps, it's a lot cheaper to buy several tarps than a new canvas or longer term tent. Temperature isn't as much of an issue where I am, but if we migrate north, we would have to address that as well. The most difficult thing is knowing and deciding what you are preparing for and going from there.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

ElectLady wrote:I'm not an expert, just chiming in...I would guess it would depend on what you are prepping for. If you plan to live in it long term, then a canvas one would hold up better than nylon, obviously. We grew up always camping in a canvas tent. But it is very heavy, so it's not the thing to pack in case you are escaping of foot. A nylon tent is more for that purpose. Eventually, I guess get both. So far I have several nylon tents and figured I'd use tarps above and beneath them to help protect them. We also have a dining tent that could cover tents and attach tarps around the 4 wall/sides. I just know at this point in my preps, it's a lot cheaper to buy several tarps than a new canvas or longer term tent. Temperature isn't as much of an issue where I am, but if we migrate north, we would have to address that as well. The most difficult thing is knowing and deciding what you are preparing for and going from there.
Well what's the advantage of canvas over nylon? And how does adding a tarp or two or three change the dynamic? I can buy tarps all day long, but will that be equivalent to a canvas tent by any stretch?

Prepping on a budget sucks.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

Nylon = cheap, waterproof, lightweight, cheap

Canvas = durability, easy to repair, cool in summer, warm in winter, breathable

It really depends on what you plan to use it for. Are you planning on hiking or car camping with it? Settling down for a while, a week, month, year? I own 7 nylon tents and one canvas tent. My nylon tents range from single sleeper to two room family tents. My canvas is just a big large 16x16 room with a hole in the roof for a chimney stove. I would not take the canvas tent for an overnighter or a hike. I use the lightweight tents for that....and some nylon tents arent so light in weight either.

I think the point electlady was making is a good one. If you want a durable cover for a nylon tent, a canvas tarp is ideal. Not as heavy as a canvas tent, but still offers the same protection both under and above the tent. Its kind of hard to suggest any specific advice unless you divulge the main purpose for your needs.
Last edited by uglypitbull on September 10th, 2014, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Long term usage. I've got an eight person two room nylon tent, but I've been told that ain't gonna cut it for long term (6 months to year) usage. I also have tarps aplenty, and find it much more economical (ie: cheaper) but if that's not going to be as good, well, maybe I'll just have to sacrifice a bit longer until I can find something better.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

If you plan on actually living in this tent....I would definitely go with canvas.

I too have a two room nylon tent but these are mostly made in China anymore. A good quality canvas tent would be ideal for long term use due to it being more durable. Think suit pants vs jeans. Just make sure to keep that canvas tent DRY !!! (as in dont roll it up wet or damp)

I personally like these style of tents for long term living....
http://www.barebonesliving.com/store/our-products/tents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.springbar.com/springbar-tents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you might be able to find a used Army surplus tent too. These are a great deal! (its where I got mine)
http://www.armytents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sharmo310
Hi, I'm new.

Post by sharmo310 »

I have seen a tent called turtle tuff. It is made of something different from canvas or nylon. Google turtle tuff.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

uglypitbull wrote:If you plan on actually living in this tent....I would definitely go with canvas.

I too have a two room nylon tent but these are mostly made in China anymore. A good quality canvas tent would be ideal for long term use due to it being more durable. Think suit pants vs jeans. Just make sure to keep that canvas tent DRY !!! (as in dont roll it up wet or damp)

I personally like these style of tents for long term living....
http://www.barebonesliving.com/store/our-products/tents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.springbar.com/springbar-tents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you might be able to find a used Army surplus tent too. These are a great deal! (its where I got mine)
http://www.armytents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yikes, I think I just felt my wallet getting a little lighter. I can't argue the logic of a canvas tent, but I'll have to wait until the economics of it make a bit more sense. Then again, I don't want to be the only soul in Zion with a giant hole in my roof....

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

So I bought the Cabela's Alaknak 12' x 20' outfitters tent, made of nylon polyester... see the link below for a run down...

I have to say I'm underwhelmed... spent about $2000 for everything... took it to Tahoe a month ago... it rained steady for 2 days and let me tell you, this tent is NOT waterproof... I need to seal and tape the seems... water totally dripping on me in the night from the seams... the only thing that saved my bacon was the wood stove... yup, that's right, you can use a wood stove in the tent...

If you can afford canvas I would definitely go that route and yes... good canvas tents are around $3000+ and very heavy... that's why I'm looking into getting a camper now!

http://youtu.be/ioIIRZHAw_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by wompus on September 11th, 2014, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

This is one of the problems I have with the whole "call out" idea. It requires owning expensive tents and equipment that people just don't have, even if they are trying to prepare. Also, as specific as the Church has been about how to prepare they never mention anything about "live-able" tents.

Having said that. You can get some real nice 10x20 canopies that have much more durable roofs than nylon tents. Set one of these up and drop some tarps down for walls and you have a real nice live-able area. You can usually find them for $200 or cheaper when on sale at Harbor Freight. It is a little heavy though and you would pretty much need a truck to transport.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-20 ... 60728.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They actually have them on sale for $149 right now. I have two brothers who have these so I actually have experience with these.

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

laronius wrote:This is one of the problems I have with the whole "call out" idea. It requires owning expensive tents and equipment that people just don't have, even if they are trying to prepare. Also, as specific as the Church has been about how to prepare they never mention anything about "live-able" tents.
I agree and have wondered how my family is to buy the big canvas tent I have seen us having in my dreams. Then I get a little "nudge" from the spirit that reminds me I saw a couple other white canvas tents exactly like mine pitched in a row. All the same new whitish canvas fabric, all the same design, all exactly the same....as if they were given to us when we got there... ;)

But some people had their own tents. The family next door had a long green army canvas tent that was larger than our white canvas tent but it seemed necessary because I had the impression they were a large family of 6 or maybe even more? We're a small family of 3...and even we are having a hard time getting all the food storage and supplies needed plus making sure a used car loan is paid off as quickly as possible and we have no debt besides a modest mortgage.

If anyone is curious, in my dream I happened to look all around my tent. I have roughly estimated the size to be 14 or 15 feet long by about 12 feet wide. I know 12x16 and 12x17 is a common size and I would assume this tent was close to those dimensions. Also, there was no center pole in the middle of the room/doorway - it had an internal frame and a canvas floor that seemed to be sewn-in. You lived in this big one room tent. I did not see us having a wood burning stove. I can't promise that the church gave us these tents and after seeing it I can say this is the type of tent I would order, but I saw other tents IDENTICAL to mine and I saw two pitched side by side with mine (3 in a row) that were all the same. What are the odds we all randomly got there and had the exact same tents with one window sewn in the same place on the same side, etc? Pretty slim.

I know it was just my own dreams (I have seen us living in this tent twice) but maybe by sharing I can give hope to those who just don't have the money to buy a canvas tent. :ymhug:

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

OnGoing wrote:
laronius wrote:This is one of the problems I have with the whole "call out" idea. It requires owning expensive tents and equipment that people just don't have, even if they are trying to prepare. Also, as specific as the Church has been about how to prepare they never mention anything about "live-able" tents.
I agree and have wondered how my family is to buy the big canvas tent I have seen us having in my dreams. Then I get a little "nudge" from the spirit that reminds me I saw a couple other white canvas tents exactly like mine pitched in a row. All the same new whitish canvas fabric, all the same design, all exactly the same....as if they were given to us when we got there... ;)

But some people had their own tents. The family next door had a long green army canvas tent that was larger than our white canvas tent but it seemed necessary because I had the impression they were a large family of 6 or maybe even more? We're a small family of 3...and even we are having a hard time getting all the food storage and supplies needed plus making sure a used car loan is paid off as quickly as possible and we have no debt besides a modest mortgage.

If anyone is curious, in my dream I happened to look all around my tent. I have roughly estimated the size to be 14 or 15 feet long by about 12 feet wide. I know 12x16 and 12x17 is a common size and I would assume this tent was close to those dimensions. Also, there was no center pole in the middle of the room/doorway - it had an internal frame and a canvas floor that seemed to be sewn-in. You lived in this big one room tent. I did not see us having a wood burning stove. I can't promise that the church gave us these tents and after seeing it I can say this is the type of tent I would order, but I saw other tents IDENTICAL to mine and I saw two pitched side by side with mine (3 in a row) that were all the same. What are the odds we all randomly got there and had the exact same tents with one window sewn in the same place on the same side, etc? Pretty slim.

I know it was just my own dreams (I have seen us living in this tent twice) but maybe by sharing I can give hope to those who just don't have the money to buy a canvas tent. :ymhug:
You both make excellent points, and I thank you for them. I have struggled with this concept a little bit as I know the church only ever seems to direct us towards food storage and emergency prep, to be temporally and spiritually prepared. Plus, if it helps, I don't feel as strong a sense of urgency to get a super expensive tent, even though I probably could if I worked at it and sacrificed enough. I feel food, water, fuel, and the essentials are what I need. Maybe that's what I should worry about more than giant white canvas tents...

sharmo310
Hi, I'm new.

Post by sharmo310 »

OnGoing wrote:

Have you read Julie Rowe's book 'A Greater Tomorrow?' or heard her radio interviews with Mills Crenshaw?

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

Yes!!! :D Her book was the closest thing I have ever read that matched my dreams. I have felt very grateful for what she has shared!

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

sharmo310 wrote:
Have you read Julie Rowe's book 'A Greater Tomorrow?' or heard her radio interviews with Mills Crenshaw?
Yes, I have read it and so far it only supports my opinion that any tent cities that will be formed will consist mostly of those traveling to the "Mormon Belt" from outside it somewhere.

OnGoing - a little curious. Do you happen to live in or outside the Mormon Belt?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Some back ground. I've worked in wilderness youth programs for 12 plus years. Of that I have spent 4 years of that living outdoors with the kids. Through the winter and summer.
They use canvas tents for winter shelters.
Unless you have a big supply of wood to heat it in the winter good luck.

Me personally I would take a tarp over a canvas tent or nylon. If you don't have a heat source as mentioned above you don't want a big shelter. You want a tight small shelter that you cram everyone into and body heat dose the rest.

In one wilderness program that's all we used for Utah winters in the mountains 9000 ft and below.
It's better to spend your money on really good sleeping bags.
Tarps provide shade in the summer and waterproofing in wet weather. Camp fire for cooking and warmth.

I'm a prepper. And one that has accually lived out there. I could go out and live off wild edibles. Survivor man style. Except without the struggles.
Native Americans didn't survive they thrived.
It's not hard with the right knowledge.

No tents for this guy. Tarp or native shelters. Everything eles is a joke. Why survive . Thrive.

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

laronius wrote:
sharmo310 wrote: OnGoing - a little curious. Do you happen to live in or outside the Mormon Belt?
I'm WAY outside the Mormon belt ;) I'm in Texas. Born & raised. Never lived in Utah.

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

OnGoing wrote:
laronius wrote:
sharmo310 wrote: OnGoing - a little curious. Do you happen to live in or outside the Mormon Belt?
I'm WAY outside the Mormon belt ;) I'm in Texas. Born & raised. Never lived in Utah.
Ahah! So my hypothesis holds up still.

MR. T
captain of 50

Post by MR. T »

If anyone has ever driven by the Utah Cabela's you can see the same Nylon tents they have had on display OUTSIDE for years. The question in my mind would be, is a canvas tent stronger in bad weather? (just google "mountaineering tent” and see how many are canvas) And is a Nylon tent “good enough”? The weight of a canvas tent stops it from being a mobile tent unless you have a vehicle to carry it, and if you think you’ll have a vehicle and GAS when SHTF why not get a camper/trailer and be done with it :) A small canvas tent with polls will set you back $600 easy and for the same money you can get a nice 4 season dome nylon tent that many people say is bomb proof AND one person can carry it in a backpack if needed!

Also - Cabela’s currently has a 10 x 10 Alaknak on sale for $399 At 60lbs one person could carry the polls and one person the nylon. The reviews are positive but according to the one post on this forum you may need some waterproof seem tape :)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on October 2nd, 2015, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin Harrison
captain of 100

Post by Benjamin Harrison »

Glad I didn't buy the Alaknak tent from Cabella's! This is the 3rd bad rep. I have heard for them. Thanks. Been looking at Kirkham's tents, as we own a spring bar that has lasted 15 + years. Don't think their wall tents are as pricey as some other companies.

Roland deschain
captain of 10

Post by Roland deschain »

Last edited by Roland deschain on May 30th, 2015, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.