Moving towards Self-sufficiency

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
RaVaN
captain of 100

Re: Moving towards Self-sufficiency

Post by RaVaN »

@dlbww

This is where God wants me, and until I hear otherwise...it'll be where I am. The truth is, where I am at is not that bad, and all things considered it is a great area should things go bad. The cold keeps the riff-raff out. We have an abundance of everything we need once a few more things get built...but even those things are not so necessary and fall under luxuries. My great-grandparents were some of the early settlers in the area as well. Our area also was set aside by God (according to family history) as a place of refuge for our family. Strange to think about that in the late 1800's that the land was "blessed?" for that purpose. When I think about the lay of the land now, it makes a creepy sort of sense. We live in the center of three large lakes that is away from all major roads. It is more of a little island than anything and well defensible. We live next to one of the larger national forests as well.

I personally prefer the cold to heat anyhow. And our summers...glorious here. As my great-grandfather wrote in the early 1900s:

" So far we have had a most enjoyable summer. No cutworms, no mosquitoes, no potato bugs, though flies are beginning to make their advent the last couple of days. We are living in a tropical forest of birch, poplar, elm, basswood, and balsam, on some of the best soil in the world, where I can sit in the front door and look out across the melon patch and the lake (about twenty rods from the house); and down from the back door, about twice as far, down a winding trail, is a gurgling brook, with sandy shallows for wading, and deeper pools for bathing, with a footbridge across it, to which people come and sit and swing their feet in the water. It is an ideal place for an outing and vacation. Wish the girls could come up and spend their vacation here, and bring you along. It would be easier to make the trip than to endure that blistering heat, wouldn’t it? Bring your woolen underwear along."

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on October 2nd, 2015, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on October 2nd, 2015, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rapunzel
captain of 10

Post by Rapunzel »

Dr. Jones post reminded me of this video: FEMA Preparing For Disaster By October 1st- "DHS Buiding An Arm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJiQkKoIeFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on October 2nd, 2015, 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

aigerim
captain of 100

Post by aigerim »

Just in case... A magazine that makes my heart go pitter-patter is: Mother Earth News. If you haven't ever seen it, just go ahead and ORDER it!!!

You won't be sorry!

A wonderful, common sense magazine about gardening, self-sufficiency, living off the grid, etc.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on October 2nd, 2015, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on October 2nd, 2015, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

Thanks for that! I had been procrastinating about posting on this subject for several reasons that mostly just boil down to laziness.

It has been an odd year on many levels with great successes and epic failures. Some were preventable, some were learning lessons, and some just were the Will of God. The biggest thing that held us back this year was the shattering of our family into little pieces which just sucked the wind out of our sails...especially mine. I finally had to shake the dust and ash and get back to the work God had placed before me because there was little to be done with the family until people move towards repentance.

I was led by the Spirit at one point to go and seek a blessing from an Elder in the restoration for the times that were coming. He blessed me with a blessing of Strength in the coming years and for what is to come. He considered it a strange request and the first time he had given one. It was important though, and I had almost missed out the blessing by delaying in executing the command of God to go to this individual and seek a blessing. It was a beautiful thing though to be blessed in the evening outside where the stars were first beginning to peek alongside the road where I had rushed to seek out this Elder before it was too late and had come upon him. This might seem out of place for this testimony, but it is important in continuing the work placed before my Companion and I and therefore has a place here.

Anyhow, "What have I been doing" has been asked and my reply is...doing what I can while I can. This year the things that did good, did very well while the things that did bad...really it wasn't so bad. The exception being that we got a "june drop" this year resulting in little fruit besides one apple tree of unknown origin that was planted from seed by my grandmother...and it had more fruit than we can use this year. It was a late Spring and has been a late Fall with really bad weather in between. If it wasn't hot and dry, it was very cold and wet...meaning 40s in August at one point. This had an adverse affect on everything obviously.

Our peas that I had planted to improve the soil this year in one garden plot brought forth an abundance of peas. Peas for us, our near neighbors, and neighbors in the distance. Peas and Peas and more Peas to the point at which we were sick of peas...and yet we gathered 3-5x the amount of peas planted for seed next year. It was amazing. There were a few pods that had fell to the ground and had begun to sprout in the shell so I know the seeds are viable.

Our beans did very well this year as well. Even now, I could go out to the garden and pick enough of our purple beans for a meal...which is amazing for October. I intend to pick and shell those since there are tons out there. Our shell beans did very well. Close to 20lbs of Jacob Cattle and 20lbs of Vermont Cranberries, which for a 30 foot row was pretty good. It is more beans that I would want to eat in a year. The same is true for the green beans we processed. Those seeds are viable as well.

Our pumpkins and acorn squash did amazing. 35 10lb-20lb pumpkins and more squash than we will probably eat. The pumpkins are important for variety in the diet of our pygoras during the winter. These should store until February giving one per week to the animals. It also keeps us in pie and pumpkin bread...and squash. I am trying to force myself to eat squash. It is a prolific food that makes me a bit sick when I eat it. I am hoping that has quit being the case...but we will see when we roast some of those squashes with some butter and brown sugar...

The onions...my old enemy. I finally found what I was doing wrong with the onion this year. We never needed to buy onions this year and have tons and tons of them. The key for us was to grow them from the plants/seeds rather than the sets. My onions that were plants put any grocery store onions to shame. The sets that we planted were miserable things...but the plants...that was a great thing. That was amazing.

The potatoes this year as every year...more than enough for the year and to plant. This was even with how silly the weather was. Anyhow, potatoes good!

The cucumbers were miserable this year. The lack of the proper weather just was terrible. We only canned 9 quarts of pickles. We ended up just letting the cucumbers grow to 4 inches and we made fermented crock pickles...which worked very well. They don't taste much different than the other pickles we made. We are loving the stoneware 5 gallon crock we bought from Ace to do this.

The cabbages did amazing. 10 gallons of sauerkraut fermenting now, and we still have more than 10 gallons still out in the garden. This was even with giving them away to the neighbors as well. The ones still out in the garden are storage cabbages and will be good for the pygora goats.

Peppers, tomatoes, corn, sunflowers, okra, and muskmelon just didn't take the weather well. Our hot peppers are just now beginning to turn. Anyhow, pretty disappointing but not surprising.

The raspberries, grapes, and blackberries were amazing this year...Tons of jelly. The strawberries were not as easy to find this year since our strawberry patch was in the goat yard.

Our animals are doing great. Shearing the pygoras right this time resulted in a lot of usable fiber. My Companion is having fun learning to card and spin. The new chicks had grown into mostly roosters which will be getting the chop chop pretty soon. We have a guinea hen sitting on eggs right now that we aren't very hopeful of hatching. She is sitting in a semi-exposed area and with the fall weather it just doesn't seem likely...but we can hope.

I began getting an area ready for putting in a real orchard this summer. This meant cutting a road through to it. I was blessed in it being less work than I had originally anticipated due to there being an old logging trail along the way I wanted to go. This also resulted in putting a trail to my Companion's parent's property making it a lot easier to walk to. Along this road we put in a small campsite with a picnic table I made from old deck lumber that had been saved and a nice stone fire pit. It's a nice little campsite and the nephews and nieces will have a nice close safe place to camp out next summer while still being "in the woods". Anyhow, back to the orchard...the problem with a real orchard here is finding the proper fruit and nut trees that will survive our winters. There are many things that will...you just have to find them and the search is hard. I hope to start planting the first trees in the new orchard next spring.

We have new neighbors now who are a young couple and relatives to us. They have been making the move towards self-sufficiency and are gung-ho. I am excited about this because me and my Companion have been wanting a close young couple to do the work with. They have Alpacas and rabbits...but they have a lot of infrastructure to get built before winter...and winter is close. I have been offering to help them however I can, but they are still getting their ducks in a row. Anyhow, this is a great thing and a real answer to prayers.

Anyhow, a lot of things going on even if we haven't got as much done as I would have liked this year.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

Something that has been weighing largely on my mind of late: Soil improvement

Last years pumpkins really is what got me realizing this. That 200-300lbs of pumpkins last year represent a lot of soil and water. That all has to be replaced every year. I used to think feeding the animals bought grain and hay as a bad thing and a huge cost that I would like to lower the need. My opinion of that has changed a bit in that as long as it is affordable...it is a great thing. The animals convert that to manure which improves the soil. I have become a bit more miserly about some things as well where I refuse to give out cornstalks and pumpkins as decorations to people unless they return them...since that is my topsoil I am giving away as a "decoration" which I can just give to the animals and they turn it back into usable soil.

Anyhow, it should have been something that was just common sense...but a garden that gives forth abundantly needs to be replenished with equal weight in order to remain fertile...and there is a lot that goes into that replenishing.

So I have had poop on the brain lately...which sounds silly and disgusting but it really isn't. I have been looking at my septic tank as a thief hoarding treasure and considering a system to safely capture all that gold that goes down there...So I have added designing a outhouse to my list of things that need to be down.

The current design I am thinking of is a a standard outhouse with removable tubs with a burn pit nearby to process the poop...meaning partial burning to kill off anything that might be bad. I am having a lot of trouble getting past the ick factor even though this has been an age old technique and if certain safety issues are observed...nothing wrong with it. So I have been looking into this a bit as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanure#Humanure

Anyhow...amazes me that I would spend so much time pondering the properties and uses of poop like I have been and seeing it as a real treasure.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

We have been on the pumpkin train as well of late. The majority of our pumpkins go to the goats since they are so full of nutrients and they keep till February on the Garage slab on cardboard.

One of my favorite treats is roasted pumpkin seeds:

Pumpkin Seeds
Place seeds in bag
Add enough olive oil to coat
Add homemade seasoned salt(however you prefer it)
Shake well
Pour seeds onto baking sheet
Roast in oven 300f till...which can take varying times.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Have you tried growing the Styrian pumpkins? also referred to as naked seeded pumpkin squash. The seeds are hull-less. I'm going to add them to my list of things to grow this year.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

I eat the seeds hulls and all, which requires a bit longer roasting time. I saw that variety but I don't think it stands up in comparison to the variety I already grow, which is the Jack O Lantern.

http://www.rhshumway.com/dp.asp?pID=03273

These have been the best I have seen for around here. These are a good size(meaning not a pain to haul out of the garden but not too small), prolific, deal with temperature swings well, amazingly drought resistant, very meaty, make good pies/bread, and store very well even if some are not completely ripe. The ones I have in the garage right now have lasted almost 5 months now at 50f.

As I said, I mainly grow pumpkins as fodder.

As an aside, I made pumpkin ?ale? this year as well. Which basically amounts to opening a pumpkin, scooping out the innards, packing it full of sugar, closing the pumpkin and sealing it with sealing wax, and let sit in a cool dark place for a couple of weeks. Too sweet for my taste, but is basically is like a ginger ale only much sweeter and pumpkin flavored.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

As well, the Danish Ballhead cabbages have kept just as long and at still in fine eating shape. It has been good fodder for the goats as well. Even more so since we had far more than we needed.

http://www.rhshumway.com/dp.asp?pID=01520

I found out this year that I can not digest cabbage and that my body just rejects it. I don't have a problem with sauerkraut though...which is just great, there is far more nutrients in sauerkraut than cabbage anyhow. It is basically a super-food. It really is something people should be making for themselves since it is so cheap and easy to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Not only are you moving towards self sufficiency you are also moving into a lifestyle that I Believe Christ wants us all to live. Read Isaiah.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lugincek
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Lugincek »

Hey all, brand new to the Forum. I've been thinking of a wilipini, which is how I stumbled upon this site. I live in central Minnesota, while it does get pretty cold...not quite as Northern, MN, but sub zeroes are common in the winter. This has been a great thread to read and just want to add something I learned this past summer. Foraging. Easy and obvious with things like berries when in season. There are many, many others including greens. "weeds" which is a term I'm starting to use less and less, often times are not only edible but very nutritious. Take a look at Lambs Quarters and Pig weed. Also clovers and alphalpha...a great source of protein. Wood sorel, a small clover like plant with yelllow flowers grows everywhere and tastes like lemons. delish. Of course many wild mushrooms that I am learning about, not just morels but many more. Care is to be taken with mushrooms, you must know without doubt what you are eating of course. My number one, absolute favorite vegetable to eat, is one I grew up being taught is inedible and bitter. Both couldn't be farther from the truth. Milkweed. Its everywhere and its amazing!! You can eat the new shoots in spring. The green beginning flower buds which look kind of like brocolli. The flowers themselves. The young seed pods later in the summer. It is truly amazing. A taste somewhere between green beans and asparagus, yet its own flavor. Boil for 15 minutes, rinse, butter, lightly salt and eat!!!! This summer I am going to try and freeze some, like you would green beans because the only downside to milkweed is its seasonal. I eagerly await spring!!

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

Lugincek wrote:Hey all, brand new to the Forum. I've been thinking of a wilipini, which is how I stumbled upon this site. I live in central Minnesota, while it does get pretty cold...not quite as Northern, MN, but sub zeroes are common in the winter. This has been a great thread to read and just want to add something I learned this past summer. Foraging. Easy and obvious with things like berries when in season. There are many, many others including greens. "weeds" which is a term I'm starting to use less and less, often times are not only edible but very nutritious. Take a look at Lambs Quarters and Pig weed. Also clovers and alphalpha...a great source of protein. Wood sorel, a small clover like plant with yelllow flowers grows everywhere and tastes like lemons. delish. Of course many wild mushrooms that I am learning about, not just morels but many more. Care is to be taken with mushrooms, you must know without doubt what you are eating of course. My number one, absolute favorite vegetable to eat, is one I grew up being taught is inedible and bitter. Both couldn't be farther from the truth. Milkweed. Its everywhere and its amazing!! You can eat the new shoots in spring. The green beginning flower buds which look kind of like brocolli. The flowers themselves. The young seed pods later in the summer. It is truly amazing. A taste somewhere between green beans and asparagus, yet its own flavor. Boil for 15 minutes, rinse, butter, lightly salt and eat!!!! This summer I am going to try and freeze some, like you would green beans because the only downside to milkweed is its seasonal. I eagerly await spring!!

There really is a plethora of useful wild Minnesota plants. I considered balsam fir trees to be a true annoyance and a weed for a long time, until I realized the food value of that tree and now I find it a lot harder to justify cutting them down. The same is true of birch as well. I felt the same way about burdock for a while as well, until I found out what a wonderful energy booster burdock tonic is.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26573#p336745

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

Time for a update. This winter my Companion and I have been blessed with a doubling of our herd of Pygora goats. 7 new kids, four does and three bucks. We had a total of 8 births, but one died due to something I had not considered (or so I think). It was a true learning experience having so many births. It also left me sleep deprived for 3 weeks waiting for them all finish kidding since it was during a wicked stretch of -15f to -30f weather and the woodstove had to be running nonstop.

The first birth was a set of twins that one died. I went out in the early hours of the morning to start the woodstove and check the animals when I entered the chicken part of the part and was greeted by a MAHHHHHHHHH!!!! from a baby goat right in my face. In my sleep-fogged mind it didn't register for a second other than the confused thoughts of, "This is a baby goat....what is a baby goat doing here...am I still asleep...you are not supposed to be in here...how are you in here?!" Then the shock broke off and I sprung into action, taking the baby goat putting it back into the goat side and running towards the house yelling at my Companion to wake up and get the gear. When we got back to the barn, I realized what had happened. The baby goat had wandered through a hole in the stalls that I have for the chickens and through the open door into the chicken side. The door had been left open so that the heat in the barn could more easily circulate. I quickly blocked up that hole, and moved the new mom and her baby into the nursery stall. That was when I discovered the dead baby. Rosy, the mom had been so worked up about her baby bawling that she had left the second baby alone. A sad moment, and it just shows you can't easily plan for every eventuality. Her surviving kid is just a pleasure and joy to watch. Due to her nature, she soon received the name of Prancey. This began the long three weeks of being up every 2 hours to check for new babies and feed the stove.

To be clear here, in all the literature and information given by experienced people there are certain signs that will tell you when a birth is imminent. Our goats show none of these signs. The next birth was in a one hour time period and the doe showed no different behavior or physiological signs. Just no baby then baby. It was a coal black buck that is just beautiful and sad since we have no use for a buck besides procreation and dinner. It will have the best life we can give it until that time though.

The next birth was a twofer. Complete pandemonium and chaos. I was by myself during the day and entered the barn to see 3 new kids bawling around and a distraught mother trying to chase away interested parties come to see what the fuss was. I swiftly phoned my beloved Companion and entered into the fray. It was chaos. I soon realized that two mothers had given birth but Suzy was claiming all three for herself while chasing the other mother(Cecily) away. I began sorting them out based on color(it was very apparent whose kids was whose) and was trying to keep them separate. This began to be an exercise in futility because our breeding buck decided it was time to play with me. After spending about 10 minutes trying to keep that annoying thing away from me, I realized I was losing the war because all three of the new babies were converging on me an running a risk of getting trampled by the buck. So I drug him outside into the snow(no easy task with a belligerent 300lb+ buck) and began putting one new mom in the nursery and keeping the other does away from the other one. It was then that my Companion got home to assist me. Suzy had two coal black babies, one doe and one buck and Cecily had a beautiful white doe with blue highlights.

The next doe had a buck and it was huge. It was bigger than all the others even though it was born weeks later. I felt a bit sorry for the mom( because Rosa is my favorite) because of the size of the buck. Just a friendly doe who enjoys my company. It was semi-uneventful beyond my Companion feeling a bit oppressed because she had to manhandle babies and moms to make room for Rosa in the nursery while I, once again ran interference with the buck.
A huge lesson here btw, next year the buck is going to be sequestered in his own stall because he is just a pain in the butt. The addition I am building will have a room just for him.

The final birth we were actually there for. I was a bit freaked out because when I left the house in the morning I could hear Little Honey bawling from our deck. I ran to investigate and saw her screaming on the ground. I swiftly ran to get my Companion and was telling her "I think there is a problem!!". We got to the barn and there was no noise. My Companion said, "I don't hear anything"...then as we entered the barn the doe had another contraction and bawled again. I went to get the supplies, and by the time I had returned the baby was out. I was just seconds from being in there, but I got to hear my Companion coaching Little Honey with words of encouragement.

It was a great relief. Everything went as well as could be planned for in my estimation. The lessons that have been learned were very big for people who have only had a herd for a little over a year now. My work just got cut out for me for a lot of the Spring with an increase of this nature. New pastures to be fenced, and the addition to be finished, and so forth. God really blessed us this year with our Pygoras. A doubling of a herd size is representative of thousands of dollars in terms of value, even though we need all of them(except that stupid buck...but it is more about bloodline than a buck being a buck).

Anyhow, I thank God for this and witnessing the creation of new life is just an amazing miracle that just speaks to the glory of God and the marvelous works he has created.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

The milking has begun! Yesterday was the first day of milking. We could have been milking the whole time, but we didn't want to steal from the babies. We decided to only milk four of the does. Little Honey and Suzie get a pass this year. Suzie because she has twins, and Little Honey just because of a "feeling" I have about her that it's not a good idea. We are slowly easing them into it. I basically want it to be a pleasurable experience for all involved rather than a nerve wracking one so we are just being slow about it. We ended up throwing the buck goat out of the barn while we did this just because it makes it an easier process. The stanchion I made is finally being used for milky. It had been used for shearing and hoof trimming before. There were a few modifications to make on it, the biggest being a rope for one foot to keep the does where we want them.

The teats on these goats are pretty small, and they are low to the ground. This means you can't milk them like I would with a normal sized goat. I ended up reaching from behind to do the squeezin'. My Companion had a bit of trouble getting started. She kept squirting herself in the face...which was hilarious. All in all, we got 1 cup of milk, but we were just getting the girls and ourselves used to it. This morning we got 1 pint. These goats should be able to give a pint each, but when you are sharing with the kids, I don't feel right about being greedy.

As to the milk....it was delicious....which scares me. I grew up on goat milk and hated it, and even how good this milk is...I have a gag reflex that comes upon me from the memory of that goat milk. A lot of the problems from my childhood stemmed from the fact that my parents didn't do things proper, unlike how we are doing it. The milk is just so sweet. No taste of goat. My Companion and I were pretty wowed as was my Dad when I gave him a taste of the fruits of our labor. So...thus far...mission success on the dairy side, and I can't wait to start cheese and butter making.

I have been learning to card and spin of late,(except I broke our cheap hand spindle and need to make another). It's a pretty fun process. I still need a lot of practice, and I think there are probably some 2 year olds in the Andes that can do both better than me. The fiber is soft and airy, I really can't wait for my Companion to make stuff with the yarn...but things take time.

I finished framing the addition on the barn Friday(as much as I can do until the ground thaws). The roof steel should be going on next week and has been taunting me all weekend long...just itching to get it put on. It will increase the barn size from 13'x30' to 21'x30' with a small storage loft. While I was building it, I cam up with another addition idea for it. I really have to quit making more work for myself. This summer is going to be hellishly busy as it is. I keep feeling like we are in the final stretch to get things done before times get truly bad. Even if that feeling is incorrect, it's nice to have that drive because I get a lot done.

Anyhow, huge blessing in the addition. My Companion's father brought over a wagon load of used/extra lumber he was getting rid of. He also had a window that is exactly what I was needing for it that he gave us. That sped things up so fast and cheapened the whole process. Useful free stuff is just awesome. My Companion is probably getting behind now if pies/baked goods owed to him.

Anyhow, God is great! And has blessed us so much.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.