Welcome to Self Defense Handgun

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Welcome to Self Defense Handgun

Post by brianj »

Your first post is an advertisement for your personal website?

And it starts with advice only a hoplophobe can agree with. Keep your children as far from guns as possible? Nonsense!

When I was a kid, my parents tried to keep me away from coffee, alcohol, and tobacco. The whole "I can use it but you can't" thing led me, and every other kid I knew to experience the same thing, to a fascination with those items and a desire to try them. And I did.

Don't keep your children far from guns. Introduce them to the guns. Demystify guns. Teach them gun safety, particularly 'don't touch without permission.' Keep them locked up when not in use, but don't keep them away from kids to the point where curiosity prompts them to do dangerous things.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

Agree with this guy who posted above me. Interesting first post. But when you have the power of God, who needs a gun?

I love handguns. A lot. I wish I went shooting more often.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 12:55 am Agree with this guy who posted above me. Interesting first post. But when you have the power of God, who needs a gun?

Maybe God made a free country where we have the ability to protect ourselves. God only helps us after everything we can do. I am sure Moroni used swords not just his faith to defend his freedom. And as child who was abused many times, God's power never saved me. I don't think it right to ever expect God to do anything in our behalf. At times He may step in, but defending our lives is our job, not His. He allows bad things to happen to good people all the time. When He gives us the tools to defend ourselves, choosing to not use them is a show of a lack of faith. I will show you my faith by my works.

The power of God has protected me at times, but we are still telestial beings who are working out our salvation. If there are men of God that are so pure they can protect others, then why not hop on over to Venezuela or North Korea and use that power to save people? My understanding is that we have gifts and keys of the priesthood but no one has all of them unless they are perfect. So, we have to use what is within our ability to use.

I am all for using God's power but even God's angelic warriors use weapons to defeat the enemy. There are spiritual guns. Killing is a good thing when you are killing the enemy with.. What was it again? Oh yeah, the sword of truth.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

Juliet wrote: December 13th, 2017, 7:21 am
On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 12:55 am Agree with this guy who posted above me. Interesting first post. But when you have the power of God, who needs a gun?

Maybe God made a free country where we have the ability to protect ourselves. God only helps us after everything we can do. I am sure Moroni used swords not just his faith to defend his freedom. And as child who was abused many times, God's power never saved me. I don't think it right to ever expect God to do anything in our behalf. At times He may step in, but defending our lives is our job, not His. He allows bad things to happen to good people all the time. When He gives us the tools to defend ourselves, choosing to not use them is a show of a lack of faith. I will show you my faith by my works.

The power of God has protected me at times, but we are still telestial beings who are working out our salvation. If there are men of God that are so pure they can protect others, then why not hop on over to Venezuela or North Korea and use that power to save people? My understanding is that we have gifts and keys of the priesthood but no one has all of them unless they are perfect. So, we have to use what is within our ability to use.

I am all for using God's power but even God's angelic warriors use weapons to defeat the enemy. There are spiritual guns. Killing is a good thing when you are killing the enemy with.. What was it again? Oh yeah, the sword of truth.
Sarcasm. That's why I mentioned how much I love guns. However, good post you made.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

When they say keep guns away from children; I think most of us here mean to keep them out of reach of small kids... IE babies and Toddlers... or mischevious kids who are extremely curious and/or mischievous.

When they are old enough, say... around 7 or 8 or so, THEN show the gun, and demystify them, teach them how to use it, etc. Until then, make sure that they cant get access to it, and potentially shoot their own eye out.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

To Protecting America; using an opening post to advertise isn't going to buy you many brownie points on this forum.
That said, being both a farmer and a soldier, like those who have posted above I advocate exposing your children at an earlier age and in a responsible manner. My kids were all exposed to shooting, butchering animals, the birds and bees (Animal husbandry of livestock) at an age earlier than the city kids get. I can hand my son an ax or a pellet rifle and I know that he will act responsibly. He had the outdoor code and cubscout motto memorized before becoming a cubscout. I plan on ensuring he has ample opportunity to learn how to drive, speak a second language, and operate heavy equipment before he becomes a boyscout. We learn by experience as much as studying any good book. If we had good fathers involved in their sons lives, we wouldn't need online firearm courses.

Edited for my back country grammar 8-)

TIFI
captain of 100

Post by TIFI »

Hiding is never a solution. Teach them, that is a solution.

TIFI
captain of 100

Post by TIFI »

moving2zion wrote: December 19th, 2017, 10:36 am To Protecting America; using an opening post to advertise isn't going to buy you many brownie points on this forum.
That said, being both a farmer and a soldier, like those who have posted above I advocate exposing your children at an earlier age and in a responsible manner. My kids were all exposed to shooting, butchering animals, the birds and bees (Animal husbandry of livestock) at an age earlier than the city kids get. I can hand my son an ax or a pellet rifle and I know that he will act responsibly. He had the outdoor code and cubscout motto memorized before becoming a cubscout. I plan on ensuring he has ample opportunity to learn how to drive, speak a second language, and operate heavy equipment before he becomes a boyscout. We learn by experience as much as studying any good book. If we had good fathers involved in their sons lives, we wouldn't need online firearm courses.

I could not agree more! I do the same.

TIFI
captain of 100

Post by TIFI »

Juliet wrote: December 13th, 2017, 7:21 am

"When He gives us the tools", and fun tools they are! :)

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

I do. A gun gives me the power and responsibility to think out my own actions and exercise my own will; the Lord may possibly choose not to strike down someone I'd otherwise shoot! How do I grow or take responsibility for my actions if I don't have or exercise the capacity to do things without directly invoking His approval and labor?

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

A very important topic that becomes more and more important over time. Training, training, training—

This is where I train. Let me know if you are interested in going there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wv-kXxitPg

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Fantastic training site and instructors. I've been once to the 4 day defensive handgun class (I shot DG).

I train with work and on my own.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

TIFI wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 11:08 pm
moving2zion wrote: December 19th, 2017, 10:36 am To Protecting America; using an opening post to advertise isn't going to buy you many brownie points on this forum.

I could not agree more! I do the same.
Back in the day when I was Scoutmaster, I made sure to round up the Scouts and all available dads and took them trap shooting once a quarter. They being city slickers for the most part, and having dad’s who mostly didn’t know the difference between a flat blade and Phillips screwdriver, this activity, repeated often, allowed dad’s and sons to learn about shooting and become familiar with rather benign shotguns within a highly structured range experience.

(It built upon the approx brief two hours they received at scout camp using .22’s.every summer).

Anyway, way better to teach kids early. Mom’s should have a way bigger fear of kids and skilsaws...

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I believe we need to protect our right to bear arms. Still, careful handling is a must. In 1 year, there were about 500 US deaths by accidental firearm. My cousin died that way.
https://www.aftermath.com/content/accid ... tatistics/

Still, it’s important to learn & teach our kids all we can about important skills. A gun enthusiast neighbor invited us to a shooting range and taught us safe handling, shooting etc. It was a good experience.