Ben Shapiro's take on Jeff Flake's Resignation

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Ben Shapiro's take on Jeff Flake's Resignation

Post by Alaris »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooNhVrfBKo8

This is very interesting commentary on Jeff Flake's resignation. As an Arizonian, I used to really like Jeff Flake when he was a congressman. As soon as he became a senator he became a part of the swamp immediately. Even now I want to give him the benefit of the doubt--what would cause a good LDS man to go from being a stalwart conservative to yet another John McCain?

A. Compulsion?
B. Corruption?
C. Something else?

Even now I want to say he's been compelled as I want to believe that there are more good people in our government than there are. However this resignation speech really sways me to B. Trying to sound like a martyr while saying that it's time to risk his career for principles is so horrendously bad. First of all, your career is over as you just announced your end - so there is no risk. Secondly, when ISN'T it a time to risk your "career" for your principles? When SHOULDN'T you put your principles above your career WHEN YOU ARE A POLITICIAN!??? Granted, we know all these slime in Washington put themselves and their careers and their pocketbooks first. However, this LDS brother's speech made me want to vomit. Terribly disappointing....

I so very badly want to have a private conversation with Brother Flake and ask him, "What was your price?"

Perhaps Lundbaek has a different perspective being more active in Arizona politics than I. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Ben Shapiro's take on Jeff Flake's Resignation

Post by larsenb »

Good expose of Flake's move to the 'center' after he gained office.

Flake basically admits that he hates Trump because of Trump's confrontational style and what he regards as his vulgarity. Another example of an LDS man being put off by rather superficial and misperceived externals, undoubtedly greatly exaggerated in his mind by the pervasive misrepresentation of the man in the MSM.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Ben Shapiro's take on Jeff Flake's Resignation

Post by lundbaek »

I realize I've had quite a bit to say on this forum about Jeff Flake in recent years.

search.php?keywords=flake&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

In 2000 he first ran for the US "House" in what was then Arizona Congressional District 5. At his first campaign speech I had the chance to speak with him one on one, and determined very quickly that he was no friend of the US Constitution. Another thing he did that disgusted me was had on his large campaign signs a large photo of him, his wife, and all his kids all dressed in "tempe white". I did not like that. I voted for Tom Liddy in that election. While we were away in 2002, gerrymandering put his district further East.