Third Time's The Charm Titanium guessing contest (Week 1)

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Third Time's The Charm Titanium guessing contest (Week 1)

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Several years ago there was a documentary I heard on TV about why the olive branch is a symbol of peace. The simple premise is because it takes about 100 years for the best olives to grow. War disrupts farming so good olives are only available after a long period of peace. Simple enough, but a succinct statement of this concept wasn't easy to find. The Book of Mormon Made Easier presents the data that supports my brief summary.

Most everything gets disrupted during times of tribulation. Titanium too takes a lot of time, energy and technology to mine and refine into it's pure form. Many are familiar that when the temple was built, builders used china—or pottery and glass—to strengthen the stucco;.

Titanium dioxide is the most widely used white pigment so stacking Ti may prove useful during times of disruption. Light Emitting Diodes, especially white ones are not easily produced and stacking Tungsten could ensure quality lighting via incandescent bulbs. This goes to the larger idea of what raw-materials should we bring with us towards the rebuilding of the New Jerusalem?

Let the guessing begin IAW rules found here: Third Time's the Charm guessing contest. Simply put, three best guesses to win a pound of titanium. Bonus ounce(s) too, if your guess is within 2 cents of the weeks final bid price of silver. Deadline for guesses remains Twelve noon Texas Time on Thursday.

Let the guessing begin. Image

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Third Time's The Charm Titanium guessing contest (Week 1)

Post by Silver »

Thanks, BND, for starting another contest. I want some Ti.

My guess for the closing price of silver on Friday of next week is $16.31.

By the way, interesting article on the use of china/pottery in the stucco of the Kirtland Temple. When I visited there in 1978, the Community of Christ (the Reorganized Church at the time) missionaries told us that the saints donated their finest china for the making of the temple. I wonder if that story started among their ranks first.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

BeNotDeceived wrote: July 14th, 2017, 1:49 am Several years ago there was a documentary I heard on TV about why the olive branch is a symbol of peace. The simple premise is because it takes about 100 years for the best olives to grow. War disrupts farming so good olives are only available after a long period of peace. Simple enough, but a succinct statement of this concept wasn't easy to find. The Book of Mormon Made Easier presents the data that supports my brief summary.

Most everything gets disrupted during times of tribulation. Titanium too takes a lot of time, energy and technology to mine and refine into it's pure form. Many are familiar that when the temple was built, builders used china—or pottery and glass—to strengthen the stucco;.

Titanium dioxide is the most widely used white pigment so stacking Ti may prove useful during times of disruption. Light Emitting Diodes, especially white ones are not easily produced and stacking Tungsten could ensure quality lighting via incandescent bulbs. This goes to the larger idea of what raw-materials should we bring with us towards the rebuilding of the New Jerusalem?

Let the guessing begin IAW rules found here: Third Time's the Charm guessing contest. Simply put, three best guesses to win a pound of titanium. Bonus ounce(s) too, if your guess is within 2 cents of the weeks final bid price of silver. Deadline for guesses remains Twelve noon Texas Time on Thursday.

I looked on the Kitco link but see no titanium listed. What link are you using to determine the closing price?

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

brlenox wrote: July 14th, 2017, 9:23 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: July 14th, 2017, 1:49 am Several years ago there was a documentary I heard on TV about why the olive branch is a symbol of peace. The simple premise is because it takes about 100 years for the best olives to grow. War disrupts farming so good olives are only available after a long period of peace. Simple enough, but a succinct statement of this concept wasn't easy to find. The Book of Mormon Made Easier presents the data that supports my brief summary.

I looked on the Kitco link but see no titanium listed. What link are you using to determine the closing price?
Nevermind...A kind soul has turned me around and pointed me in the right direction...

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver wrote: July 14th, 2017, 7:19 am Thanks, BND, for starting another contest. I want some Ti.

By the way, interesting article on the use of china/pottery in the stucco of the Kirtland Temple. When I visited there in 1978, the Community of Christ (the Reorganized Church at the time) missionaries told us that the saints donated their finest china for the making of the temple. I wonder if that story started among their ranks first.
Wow, last check the bid price was $16.10. Any particular reason you chose as you did, besides the sum of the digits?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BeNotDeceived wrote: July 18th, 2017, 3:08 am
Silver wrote: July 14th, 2017, 7:19 am Thanks, BND, for starting another contest. I want some Ti.

Wow, last check the bid price was $16.10. Any particular reason you chose as you did, besides the sum of the digits?
1+6 = 7 & 3+1 = 4. Put those numbers together in reverse order and you get 47. 47 was my favorite number for many years before I realized that it is the atomic number of silver on the periodic table of elements. However, I didn't choose $16.31 for that. It simply popped into my head. I will probably be totally wrong.

Thanks for the contest. The Saints need to own more precious metals in their financial reserve.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

brlenox wrote: July 14th, 2017, 9:33 am

Nevermind...A kind soul has turned me around and pointed me in the right direction...
Do share, because I'm not finding anything either.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Onsdag wrote: July 18th, 2017, 9:22 am

The contest prize is titanium. The price we must guess is silver.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Here is a link to the graph that shows the bid price for the last three days.

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver. ... e=fullsite

The number that counts is the bid price when the market closes on Friday. The number in the little box labeled bid, not the one on the graph that sometimes shows $xx.xx5 i.e. half cents don't count.

If you guess closest three times, you win one pound of titanium. You also win a bonus ounce if your guess is within 2 cents and two bonus ounces if your guess is exactly correct. Bonus ounces accumulate, so it's possible to win a maximum of 6 bonus ounces with your pound if you guess exactly correct three times. :)

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

Silver wrote: July 18th, 2017, 9:24 am

That makes sense. In that case...

$16.45

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

$16.42

gilgal
captain of 10

Post by gilgal »

$16.15

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

2 hours and 2 minutes; refresh for update.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

$16.44 right now. No charm for me.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote: July 21st, 2017, 10:44 am $16.44 right now. No charm for me.
MUUUUUUUUUUELLERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Hey but at least our stash is "more valuable" now, right?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote: July 21st, 2017, 2:14 pm
MUUUUUUUUUUELLERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Hey but at least our stash is "more valuable" now, right?
Ha! Yep, true.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

BeNotDeceived wrote: July 14th, 2017, 1:49 am Bonus ounce(s) too, if your guess is within 2 cents of the weeks final bid price of silver.
I'd be well pleased if it closed at its current price or better yet dropped a couple cents. :D

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Best hang time evar :ymhug:

Image Image

3 day average yooze right on da money. :o)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Onsdag wrote: July 19th, 2017, 1:43 pm

$16.45
One for the win column. :ymapplause:

Graph ended at 16.500 and bid price = 16.50

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BeNotDeceived wrote: July 21st, 2017, 4:12 pm

$16.45

Wow, that Onsdag is a winning machine! I think it has something to do with good works being rewarded.

Aiiivii
captain of 10

Post by Aiiivii »

Here's the link for the guesses in week 1: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Aiiivii
captain of 10

Post by Aiiivii »

Summary of guesses in week 1 can be found in this link ---> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

Silver wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:34 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: July 21st, 2017, 4:12 pm

$16.45

Wow, that Onsdag is a winning machine! I think it has something to do with good works being rewarded.
Nonsense! 1/1 does not make me a winning machine. But it does get me off to a good start and allows me to catch up with you and Meili. :ymparty: