Silver Contest: Week 8 (of 11)

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Silver Contest: Week 8 (of 11)

Post by Silver »

Hello Freedom Lovers,
Monday, 5Jun2017, is the first day you can enter your silver price guess to win one (1) ounce of .999 fine silver in Week 8 of the Silver Contest.

Separatist won the Week 1 contest with a guess only 8 cents off the closing price.
2EstablishZion won Week 2 with a guess only 6 cents off the closing price.
Meili won Week 3 with a guess only 4 cents off the closing price.
gilgal won Week 4 with a guess only 1 cent off the closing price. AWESOME!
imontoya won Week 5 with a guess only 2 cents off the closing price and he claims it was just a lucky guess.
Older/Wiser won Week 6 with an exact guess of the closing price.
Onsdag won Week 7 with a guess that was 16 cents off the closing price.

Counting this week, there are four more chances to win.

Please submit your guesses in this thread, not the introductory thread.

As always, big thanks to Meili for keeping track of everyone's guesses.

The silver and the freight will be at absolutely no charge to the winners.

Introduction, rules and comments here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=45298

Use http://www.kitco.com/kitco-gold-index.html as a reference if you'd like.

Good luck!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Silver Contest: Week 8 (of 11)

Post by BeNotDeceived »

$17.02 Image

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BeNotDeceived wrote: June 5th, 2017, 7:15 am $17.02 Image
Were you born on February 17th? You seem to be attached to the $17.02 figure for some reason.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

$17.46

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver wrote: June 6th, 2017, 9:02 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: June 5th, 2017, 7:15 am $17.02 Image
Were you born on February 17th? You seem to be attached to the $17.02 figure for some reason.
Core principles from my past that still resonate are integrity first and service before self. Savior before self better exemplifies both, and two cents represents Him being a type and shadow of the Good Samaritan vis a vie.Image

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

We've had some very close guesses each week. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our earlier winners win again. Winners only have to take two weeks off to be eligible to win again.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Did y'all know that Coinstar machines reject silver coins? Those old dimes, quarters, and half dollars don't weigh the same as the current coins, so they go into the reject hopper along with the foreign coins and buttons and batteries. And sometimes people forget to pocket those rejects, or they assume they are worthless. And sometimes people like me take a glance at that hopper to see if there are coins residing there, and once in awhile there is a silver coin among the rejects. Today I was at a huge Walmart on my way to work this morning, where lo, and behold, the Coinstar had a fistful of coins in the hopper, including a 1964 Kennedy half dollar, a 1967 Kennedy half dollar (40% silver) and 11 pre-1964 dimes. That roughly $20 in melt value silver at today's price.

So when you see a Coinstar machine, just sidle on up to it and take a peek into the reject hopper. Someone may have just cashed in granny's old jar of coins, and walked away from the "junk".

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Lizzy60 wrote: June 7th, 2017, 1:47 pm Did y'all know that Coinstar machines reject silver coins? Those old dimes, quarters, and half dollars don't weigh the same as the current coins, so they go into the reject hopper along with the foreign coins and buttons and batteries. And sometimes people forget to pocket those rejects, or they assume they are worthless. And sometimes people like me take a glance at that hopper to see if there are coins residing there, and once in awhile there is a silver coin among the rejects. Today I was at the huge Walmart on my way to work this morning, where lo, and behold, the Coinstar had a fistful of coins in the hopper, including a 1964 Kennedy half dollar, a 1967 Kennedy half dollar (40% silver) and 11 pre-1964 dimes. That roughly $20 in melt value silver at today's price.

So when you see a Coinstar machine, just sidle on up to it and take a peek into the reject hopper. Someone may have just cashed in granny's old jar of coins, and walked away from the "junk".
Lucky! Yes, that is a very good idea and part of the overall strategy for accumulating silver. I'm very happy to read of your success.

Hey y'all,
www.coinflation.com is a great website to see the value of the coins mentioned by Lizzy.

You can also shop your local Goodwill-type stores and find sterling silver (92.5% purity) items for sale way below their intrinsic value.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Lizzy60 wrote: June 7th, 2017, 1:47 pm Did y'all know that Coinstar machines reject silver coins? Those old dimes, quarters, and half dollars don't weigh the same as the current coins, so they go into the reject hopper along with the foreign coins and buttons and batteries. And sometimes people forget to pocket those rejects, or they assume they are worthless. And sometimes people like me take a glance at that hopper to see if there are coins residing there, and once in awhile there is a silver coin among the rejects. Today I was at a huge Walmart on my way to work this morning, where lo, and behold, the Coinstar had a fistful of coins in the hopper, including a 1964 Kennedy half dollar, a 1967 Kennedy half dollar (40% silver) and 11 pre-1964 dimes. That roughly $20 in melt value silver at today's price.

Gotta love technology.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I had a similar experience. I would go to DI and other rummage shops with my magnet and check silverware - stainless steel is magnetic. Anything that didn't attract I would check closer to see if it was silver, I picked up a few sterling silver pieces that way.
Best experience was at one little shop I found three spoons that clearly were sterling silver but two of them had cracked bowls. Still each one was a solid ounce of silver and I got all three for 6.95. I got home and looked up the hall marks and they matched up to a silversmith who only used that specific mark between 1848 and 1857. So even though they were in TERRIBLE condition, I still thought it was cool to have something that was both .925 silver AND that old. They were monogrammed two and quite nice other than the condition - i.e. originally they were very fancy. I'd love to figure out who they belonged to.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Did I ever tell ya about the silver candlesticks from the thrift store on Washington and 40th picked up 2 , Rust coin paid $800. For them , I get amazed at the jewelry people "toss out" from gold teeth (yea I have no shame I will take those that grandma left in her box) to diamonds, boy do I have a story about that, people just don't see value, good for those of us that do!

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

$17.47

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

Let's try ....... $17.61

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

$16.98

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Slightly less than 2 hours left to enter your guess for this week's contest.

gilgal
captain of 10

Post by gilgal »

$17.20

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Just for kicks, I'll take "cursed" 17.76

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

Just received my shipment of Liberty. Thanks Silver!

And thanks for the tips, tricks, and stories in this thread of finding silver. When I was a teenager an old lady in my ward needed help doing some yardwork, so my brother and I mowed her lawn and did some other chores for her. We didn't expect any pay, but pay us she did with a handful of quarters. As good boys we paid our tithing first from the earnings, and then as not-so-wise teenagers we splurged and spent the rest on snack foods. Fast forward a week and our bishop approaches us and asks us if we knew that the quarters we had paid tithing with were silver quarters and worth a whole lot more than the 25¢ stamped on them. Of course, to our chagrin, we hadn't known - we had thought money was money after all. Right then and there we had our first lesson on the intrinsic value of precious metals and the debasement of our currency.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Onsdag wrote: June 8th, 2017, 12:31 pm Just received my shipment of Liberty. Thanks Silver!

And thanks for the tips, tricks, and stories in this thread of finding silver. When I was a teenager an old lady in my ward needed help doing some yardwork, so my brother and I mowed her lawn and did some other chores for her. We didn't expect any pay, but pay us she did with a handful of quarters. As good boys we paid our tithing first from the earnings, and then as not-so-wise teenagers we splurged and spent the rest on snack foods. Fast forward a week and our bishop approaches us and asks us if we knew that the quarters we had paid tithing with were silver quarters and worth a whole lot more than the 25¢ stamped on them. Of course, to our chagrin, we hadn't known - we had thought money was money after all. Right then and there we had our first lesson on the intrinsic value of precious metals and the debasement of our currency.
Your post makes me slightly depressed. You must have been severely disappointed!

I'm more depressed over the realization that this is Thursday and I have missed my chance to make a guess. This week has been a doozy.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Guesses have been entered and sorted. Please feel free to double check the spreadsheet for any errors, everyone: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Meili wrote: June 8th, 2017, 12:48 pm Guesses have been entered and sorted. Please feel free to double check the spreadsheet for any errors, everyone: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Thanks again, Meili.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Are you gonna have any honorary winners?
dc