Modest, but nice home in Manti, at a 6% Discount

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Modest, but nice home in Manti, at a 6% Discount

Post by David13 »

Yes, Dave, that was my thought as well.
I was just looking online at two houses very near the Temple. I suppose I could tolerate the crowd for two weeks. And I could offer tent space in the yard as well.
I have spoken to others who did attend and they did mention that the 'protesters' were not that big of a problem.
Anyway, I have no idea when I will sort out my affairs here sufficiently to make a decision as to where to go.
dc

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

You'll find the right place when the time is right. I wish you well with all that involves. I don't blame you for seeking refuge from California. I think there will be some extreme challenges in that state when all heck breaks loose, one day.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Dave
I could probably enjoy the north end of town at the time of the Pageant. I've been getting more information about it and talking to more people who have attended.
I didn't go on a mission as I'm a new convert this year, so that could be my own mission. White shirt and a tie and just spend the day prior to the Pageant start walking and talking to everyone. And introducing people to the Church.
But. I suppose it may well be a large percent of the people are already members.
I know at the Payson open house we were estimating 98% members there, tho' they did say they had a bus load of Catholics and another bus load of Muslims.
dc

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Our thirteen-year-old, Zachary (the photographer of the family) has updated the exterior photos (summer-time with green grass and leaves on trees.) See initial post on page 1.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Our 16-year-old, Alan and our 13-year-old, Zachary took on the two porches and rear deck restoration project this summer. The porches are done, and the deck will be done in another week or so. They were weathered and gray looking when we moved in 8 years ago, and we never got around to doing anything about it until now. After much research we settled on good-old-fashioned elbow-grease -- sanding down to new wood, and then applying boiled linseed oil, for a darkened, but natural look. Sanding need never be done again, with a yearly application of boiled linseed oil to maintain the current beauty and protection from the elements. It is quick and easy to apply with roller and brush...(a hundred times easier than sanding -- perhaps a thousand).

The side and front porch are made from Douglas Fir and are beautiful sanded and with boiled linseed oil applied. The rear deck will be especially beautiful, because it is made from Redwood.

We have posted before and after pictures of the porches and deck project thus far, here:

https://www.facebook.com/mary.longconrad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...finished deck yesterday. Posted before and after pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/mary.longconrad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...bump...

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

Not much luck selling your Mobil Home eh? Have you tried using FSBO.com?

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

We're not worried. Because of the tiny market for buyers in the area, it is not uncommon for it to take a long time to sell homes here. We don't feel the need to take other measures yet. The home is not mobile, since it is a 2X6 constructed, prefabricated home affixed to a basement. We much prefer it over the 50 - 100 year-old, conventional homes on the market here, which are priced much higher, not built nearly as well, having utility bills that are astronomically higher.

I currently have some interested parties considering the home.

I'll post updates as they may occur.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

It looks like a nice house.
I have looked at many 50 or 100 or more year old houses in southern Utah, and they would require a lot of work.
Dave Conrads house comes 100% move in ready.
Looking at some of these old houses, even the foundation is bad. That may mean jacking up the entire house to rebuild underneath. It can be done. But not overnight.
In terms of utility bills, the old houses frequently had very inadequate insulation and not tight construction, thus wasting a lot of the heating energy needed to make the house comfortable, or a/c where used or needed.
dc

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

I appreciate your comment, David13. Our July 25th electric bill was $48.57, which included running the central air conditioning as needed, to keep the house comfortable. The cooling portion of our electric bill is about $12.00 per month. Our July 23rd gas bill was $21.47 -- baking bread, cooking, hot water needs for a family of five still at home.

Let us know when you'll be coming through in October, and we'll have you over for dinner and some conversation.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

We had some pre-qualified buyers come and see our home today. They seemed to really like it and they seemed very serious about wanting to buy a home in Manti, soon. They are from Provo and are going to drive down and see a couple of other properties next Saturday and then make up their mind.

We have been in touch with an excellent Realtor that we feel good about. According to the sales data she has for the area, our place is priced extremely well -- even at the $131,500 we would list it for through her. We have decided that if we haven't sold the place by October 15th, we will list it with her.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Here is an update:

We received an offer at our asking price, Oct 3'rd.

It was a retired couple from Salt Lake, who saw our ad at KSL.com. They were looking for a home in a small town with a four-season-climate and a temple, and our home fit the bill, for them. They had sold their home in Salt lake and purchased a home in Arizona. They found the winters to be lovely there, but could not stand the heat of the rest of the year -- spring, summer and fall. They were pre-qualified for a loan on our home. They planned to use financing to purchase our home and then sell their Arizona home and be mortgage free.

They had an excellent Realtor from Salt Lake with whom they were comfortable. They had agreed to pay his commission (3%), to have his involvement. We were working out the details through the Salt Lake Realtor, then I had to kill the deal. We were informed at the last minute, that our replacement home was no longer available. That is the only existing home in town at the present time that suits us, as a replacement home. So now we are planning to stay where we are at for 2-3 more years, have a home built that suits us, and then put this one back on the market.

During this process we did manage to find a Realtor in Manti that we feel good about. We are planning to use her services in the future if or when the need might arise. If anyone feels the need for a good Realtor in Manti, feel free to PM me and I will put you in touch. I feel that she is a good person and an extremely competent Realtor. If anyone feels the need for a good Realtor in Salt Lake, feel free to PM me about that as well. The Realtor from Salt Lake that was brought in was a very good one, as well. I've had dealings with dodgy Realtors in the past, and I know the difference.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

David13. We enjoyed your visit to our home in Manti. We trust that the remainder of your trip was safe and enjoyable.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Dave
I had no problems and it was most enjoyable.
I went up to SLC til Monday then rode over 2 days back to Los Angeles.
The Conference was wonderful; most enjoyable and uplifting. I talked to many people and many of the missionaries. It was just a great experience to be there for the Conference.
I enjoyed your house and meeting you and the family very much.
Thanks for the hospitality.
dc