Freedom Forum Fit Club

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Freedom Forum Fit Club

Post by Elizabeth »

Most of the time :( I never have spicy or fried foods.
coachmarc wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:I am endeavouring to eliminate acid reflux without resorting to medication. Anyone have advice?

So far, drinking lots of water helps. Keeping away from milk, bread. tomato, cheese... except for ricotta.
Does it happen at night before bed or in the morning when you wake up? There are difference. Anyway, without taking meds? Well, for one, stay away from spicy foods and fried foods. Secondly, here is a site that may help:

http://www.heartburn-remedies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Elizabeth wrote:Most of the time :( I never have spicy or fried foods.
coachmarc wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:I am endeavouring to eliminate acid reflux without resorting to medication. Anyone have advice?

So far, drinking lots of water helps. Keeping away from milk, bread. tomato, cheese... except for ricotta.
Does it happen at night before bed or in the morning when you wake up? There are difference. Anyway, without taking meds? Well, for one, stay away from spicy foods and fried foods. Secondly, here is a site that may help:

http://www.heartburn-remedies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're not completely opposed to using medicine, my wife uses ranitidine for her heartburn.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I have been prescribed Pariot but want to stop medications.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Well, ranitidine is a generic brand, over the counter. Pretty much like Pepsid AC.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -acid.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a fan of Dr. Mercola and refer to his site often. However it is a daunting task, and I keep searching for further help for this problem. One help I forgot to mention above is almonds, chewing an almond at the time of reflux is effective, but does not last nor stop re occurrence.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Ah, nice to have a three day weekend! Gonna rest a bit from a month of progressive resistance training. Squats are improving immensely. By the end of September, I anticipate easily repping 300 lbs. I need to eat more, though. Still hovering around 11-12% body fat at 6', 183 lbs and I have a big bag of peanut m&m's in my desk. I ate steak and eggs with a cup of cottage cheese and then pancakes on the side for breakfast. Yeah, I have a healthy appetite and the metabolism of a teenager. Hope everyone's being active. Gotta have strong, able bodies to equal our minds. We are the resistance!

:D :p

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I'd like to throw this out to everyone. I host New Years Challenges in other forums and thought about setting one up here, if anyone is interested. The holidays are approaching and that means office parties, candies, junk food, holiday overeating, etc. People tend to gain 10 lbs or more during this time. Is anyone interested in a challenge? It would begin Oct 1 and end December 31st with January 1st revealing a new and improved YOU. If you've been wanting to shed some pounds, build some muscle, improve a time on a run, whatever, this would be fun to do together. Sound off! If there's interest in the next couple days, I'll post the parameters to give folks a chance to set up by Saturday, Oct 1st.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I am seeing how much I can lose in the next 100 days. Not doing anything drastic or unhealthy, I am just having absolutely no fast food, no soda (including diet), no candy, am sticking to mostly low glycemic index food and exercising. I am only 5 days into my 100 days, but it is going well.

I am snacking on walnuts and almonds, and cheese. I try to have one salad (I put meat and cheese on my sald) a day and drink plenty of water.

I'll keep you all posted.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Ok, I'll add some more as a guideline:

The holiday season brings families, big dinners and office parties that pile on the wrong (albeit oftentimes tasty) calories. Our challenge will be to set one SMART goal for yourself.
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely

Here is a guideline to help you:

Specific: A specific goal has a much greater chance of being accomplished than a general goal. To set a specific goal you must answer the six “W” questions:
*Who: Who is involved?
*What: What do I want to accomplish?
*Where: Identify a location.
*When: Establish a time frame.
*Which: Identify requirements and constraints.
*Why: Specific reasons, purpose or benefits of accomplishing the goal.
EXAMPLE: A general goal would be, “Get in shape.” But a specific goal would say, “Join a health club and workout 3 days a week.”

Measurable - Establish concrete criteria for measuring progress toward the attainment of each goal you set.
When you measure your progress, you stay on track, reach your target dates, and experience the exhilaration of achievement that spurs you on to continued effort required to reach your goal.
To determine if your goal is measurable, ask questions such as……
How much? How many?
How will I know when it is accomplished?

Attainable – When you identify goals that are most important to you, you begin to figure out ways you can make them come true. You develop the attitudes, abilities, skills, and financial capacity to reach them. You begin seeing previously overlooked opportunities to bring yourself closer to the achievement of your goals.
You can attain most any goal you set when you plan your steps wisely and establish a time frame that allows you to carry out those steps. Goals that may have seemed far away and out of reach eventually move closer and become attainable, not because your goals shrink, but because you grow and expand to match them. When you list your goals you build your self-image. You see yourself as worthy of these goals, and develop the traits and personality that allow you to possess them.

Realistic- To be realistic, a goal must represent an objective toward which you are both willing and able to work. A goal can be both high and realistic; you are the only one who can decide just how high your goal should be. But be sure that every goal represents substantial progress.
A high goal is frequently easier to reach than a low one because a low goal exerts low motivational force. Some of the hardest jobs you ever accomplished actually seem easy simply because they were a labor of love.

Timely – A goal should be grounded within a time frame. With no time frame tied to it there’s no sense of urgency. If you want to lose 10 lbs, when do you want to lose it by? “Someday” won’t work. But if you anchor it within a timeframe, “by May 1st”, then you’ve set your unconscious mind into motion to begin working on the goal.
Your goal is probably realistic if you truly believe that it can be accomplished. Additional ways to know if your goal is realistic is to determine if you have accomplished anything similar in the past or ask yourself what conditions would have to exist to accomplish this goal.

In this case, January 1, 2012 is your timely goal.

There you have it, folks! Whether you want to lose ten pounds, improve your time in the quarter mile, increase your total push ups count or whatever, pick one and only one goal. Be realistic and post it here. The Challenge begins Saturday, October 1 (this weekend) and ends December 31st. Feel free to share anything you want in this thread to be accountable (which can be part of your tracking/accountability) such as progress pictures, whatever).

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

*Who: Who is involved? Me.
*What: What do I want to accomplish? long term I need to lose 100 lbs. for my 100 day goal 30 lbs.
*Where: Identify a location. Home and work.
*When: Establish a time frame. 100 days (ends January 3, 2012)
*Which: Identify requirements and constraints. 70% of all food in the low glycemic category, 30% in medium and zero from the high glycemic index. 30 minutes of exercise, 5 times/week. Until I lose significant weight, most of my exercise is on a recumbent exercise bike. When I do not feel like a whale (50 lbs lost) I will start swimming at least twice a week.
*Why: Specific reasons, purpose or benefits of accomplishing the goal. I have been very healthy in the past. I am not now and feel terrible. So I want to feel better and be better able to do all things that I need to be doing. In my current condition there is much that I need to do that I cannot do.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:*Who: Who is involved? Me.
*What: What do I want to accomplish? long term I need to lose 100 lbs. for my 100 day goal 30 lbs.
*Where: Identify a location. Home and work.
*When: Establish a time frame. 100 days (ends January 3, 2012)
*Which: Identify requirements and constraints. 70% of all food in the low glycemic category, 30% in medium and zero from the high glycemic index. 30 minutes of exercise, 5 times/week. Until I lose significant weight, most of my exercise is on a recumbent exercise bike. When I do not feel like a whale (50 lbs lost) I will start swimming at least twice a week.
*Why: Specific reasons, purpose or benefits of accomplishing the goal. I have been very healthy in the past. I am not now and feel terrible. So I want to feel better and be better able to do all things that I need to be doing. In my current condition there is much that I need to do that I cannot do.
Hat's off to you OI!!!

I did well for two months and fell off the wagon this month (stinking flu, sinus infection, business trip, etc).....now I'm dreading getting back on. Feels like 2 months forward and 3 months backward....but I gotta do it! Time is running out.

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

coachmarc wrote:I've been working out for about thirty years. I decided to start this thread to help anyone who is working out to become healthier, fitter, stronger, and leaner. I've recently enjoyed great success with programs like P90X and Insanity so much that I became a Beachbody Coach. My primary passion is barbell work (deadlifts, squats, presses, etc). I am also a certified personal trainer in my early forties and in the best health and shape of my life. I am very committed to reversing the trend of obesity and its related illnesses and diseases around the globe. I have already helped and trained folks in the US, Canada, South America, UK and of course locally with nutrition and exercise.

I'd like to dedicate this thread to you. Feel free to use this thread to ask me any questions you have about getting healthy, getting buff, getting lean, etc. I will be checking in regularly to freely answer questions about exercise and nutrition and help anyone with their own fitness journey. I truly hope that this benefits everyone and that I can be of service. You can also find a growing source of information and articles on my website.

Well I can add to this conversation a little bit by telling my story, and by extension my wife's as well. We got married over 5 years ago and were each much lighter and "springier" than we are now. Still late 20's, but with no upkeep, that's when you start to notice the downhill slide. My half-brother said the day he turned 30 his gut expanded, his arms went limp and his back started hurting, but I digress.

Anyway, we were getting fed up (especially me, at 6'1" and a then-hefty-256 lbs, I couldn't keep up with my rapidly growing toddler son.) We committed to Power 90 (the precursor to P90X). From July '10 to October '10 we worked out to the videos religiously every morning. She started to hate them, but I thrived on the rigor and mainly structure of the video system. My wife's independent streak is bigger than mine and the videos were boring and monotonous for her. But we huffed it out and I lost 23 lbs in 90 days to 233 lbs! Looking back, nothing specific about the workouts stands out, however the DIET that Tony Horton puts you on is what melted the spare tire and thunder thighs away. Yes the 30 minutes of heart-rate elevating workout helps, but we TOTALLY cut out sugar drinks of any kind, cookies, cheese, etc. We maintained some meat at dinnertime and of course, supplements of L-Carintine, Magnesium, Alfalfa, and some others. I felt more confident, as if I had "tamed" myself.

Well we did it, felt good, then said "We like pie!". Now, we've both kept up our exercise, the diet went downhill and weight came back. This proves to us it's both diet and 30 minutes at least of heart-rate elevating work.

So, it comes to this question for coachmarc here. We've joined a gym with super nice equipment as my wife wants independence from videos, and I want more of a challenge than Power 90 provided. What machines are best for cardio/fat-burning but not hard on the knees/hips? The elliptical is cute, but doesn't do it for me. I've also taken up weights for chest, biceps, triceps, delts front and back. Also, what do you think about TRX. There's a class I'm going to try tonight that I'll probably report on later (for TRX).

This is my goal:

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Jules, Peanut M&M's :-\ How sad...My favorite...

Just for the record, I started a Fat to Fit program yesterday. I am not grossly overweight, but I am uncomfortable and heavier than I have ever been. The program is with the Anytime Fitness place in town. Thankfully, I convinced a friend to do it with me...It is harder for me to diet since I am already on a "can't have" diet, (Celiac Disease), but I have decided to give it a whirl.

For the person who is being poisoned by his wife's vegetarian nights, I say, better go along with it...I am sure I am alive because I adopted such strict standards of healthy eating and holistic living in my early 30's. I started having problems when I found out I had to be on the gluten free diet.,,,but I will get back there.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

I will join.

I want to lose 17 pounds.
I will keep track of my calories online at myfitnesspal.com I will stay within my 1200-1300 limit.
I will exercise 3 days a week.
I will not eat sugar. (I am mostly off already but once every 3-4 weeks I eat something sweet and I need to be all the way off)
And I am doing it with my husband.
I will post on thursdays my weight and exercise and how I am doing with my eating.

10 years ago I weighed 215lbs. I went to weight watchers and got down to 150. Had 3 more kids but got down to 150 each time. I am currently 157 and have to lose the weight or buy new clothes. I don't want new clothes.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

JulesGP wrote:I need to quit going to LDSFF and Mormon Chronicle lunches and dinners so I can join and get back on track.... or I suppose I could order salad every time..... :-s
...the spider didn't help???

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

JulesGP wrote:
Jason wrote:
JulesGP wrote:I need to quit going to LDSFF and Mormon Chronicle lunches and dinners so I can join and get back on track.... or I suppose I could order salad every time..... :-s
...the spider didn't help???
I call ahead now and make them spray for spiders before we arrive... :-s using organic, chemical free spider spray of course.... ;)
I'm pretty sure that's the kind of spray they were using before our arrival.... :-B

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

AGalagaChiasmus wrote:
coachmarc wrote:I've been working out for about thirty years. I decided to start this thread to help anyone who is working out to become healthier, fitter, stronger, and leaner. I've recently enjoyed great success with programs like P90X and Insanity so much that I became a Beachbody Coach. My primary passion is barbell work (deadlifts, squats, presses, etc). I am also a certified personal trainer in my early forties and in the best health and shape of my life. I am very committed to reversing the trend of obesity and its related illnesses and diseases around the globe. I have already helped and trained folks in the US, Canada, South America, UK and of course locally with nutrition and exercise.

I'd like to dedicate this thread to you. Feel free to use this thread to ask me any questions you have about getting healthy, getting buff, getting lean, etc. I will be checking in regularly to freely answer questions about exercise and nutrition and help anyone with their own fitness journey. I truly hope that this benefits everyone and that I can be of service. You can also find a growing source of information and articles on my website.

Well I can add to this conversation a little bit by telling my story, and by extension my wife's as well. We got married over 5 years ago and were each much lighter and "springier" than we are now. Still late 20's, but with no upkeep, that's when you start to notice the downhill slide. My half-brother said the day he turned 30 his gut expanded, his arms went limp and his back started hurting, but I digress.

Anyway, we were getting fed up (especially me, at 6'1" and a then-hefty-256 lbs, I couldn't keep up with my rapidly growing toddler son.) We committed to Power 90 (the precursor to P90X). From July '10 to October '10 we worked out to the videos religiously every morning. She started to hate them, but I thrived on the rigor and mainly structure of the video system. My wife's independent streak is bigger than mine and the videos were boring and monotonous for her. But we huffed it out and I lost 23 lbs in 90 days to 233 lbs! Looking back, nothing specific about the workouts stands out, however the DIET that Tony Horton puts you on is what melted the spare tire and thunder thighs away. Yes the 30 minutes of heart-rate elevating workout helps, but we TOTALLY cut out sugar drinks of any kind, cookies, cheese, etc. We maintained some meat at dinnertime and of course, supplements of L-Carintine, Magnesium, Alfalfa, and some others. I felt more confident, as if I had "tamed" myself.

Well we did it, felt good, then said "We like pie!". Now, we've both kept up our exercise, the diet went downhill and weight came back. This proves to us it's both diet and 30 minutes at least of heart-rate elevating work.

So, it comes to this question for coachmarc here. We've joined a gym with super nice equipment as my wife wants independence from videos, and I want more of a challenge than Power 90 provided. What machines are best for cardio/fat-burning but not hard on the knees/hips? The elliptical is cute, but doesn't do it for me. I've also taken up weights for chest, biceps, triceps, delts front and back. Also, what do you think about TRX. There's a class I'm going to try tonight that I'll probably report on later (for TRX).

This is my goal:
If you want to look like Thor, you gotta train like Chris Hemsworth did for the movie. I know what program he used. I just gotta find it. I'm doing a similar program and let me tell you, you're gonna have to stick to the basics and eat a lot. Compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and presses (I improved about 65 lbs in one month on squats alone). Low volume, heavier weight. I have no opinion about the TRX, except you spend a lot of money to do exercises that can be done with body weight only. But mass is what you want. Save your money and if the gym has that contraption, take it, set it aside and head for the squat rack.

Sariel
captain of 100

Post by Sariel »

I'll do the Oct.1-Jan.1 Goal. I'll have to think of specifics today.

linj2fly
captain of 1,000

Post by linj2fly »

Azriel wrote:I'll do the Oct.1-Jan.1 Goal. I'll have to think of specifics today.
Ditto! count me in....

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Glad to see more interest. Mine is along the lines of AGalagaChiasmus'. I'm working on building lean muscle mass this winter with a focus on keeping my workouts simple using low volume compound exercises, which include squats, deadlifts, benchpresses, shoulder presses, pull ups and push ups. I currently weigh 190 lbs at 13.6 % body fat (I'm 6' tall) I've been working on this since the beginning of August when I weighed 183 lbs at about 12% body fat.

My goal is simple: Gain ten pounds of lean body weight for the New Year, while keeping my body fat in the 13% range or leaner. This also means taking advantage of all the holiday eating provided I stay away from all the "candy" that Haloween brings and all the pies and treats that Thanksgiving and Christmas brings.

Remember to keep your goal realistic and achievable. This is a stepping stone to a new lifestyle, not just a milestone to reach and then revert to old habits. Like a testimony, you have to keep building, strengthening and moving forward with your health and fitness.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Original_Intent wrote:I am seeing how much I can lose in the next 100 days. Not doing anything drastic or unhealthy, I am just having absolutely no fast food, no soda (including diet), no candy, am sticking to mostly low glycemic index food and exercising. I am only 5 days into my 100 days, but it is going well.

I am snacking on walnuts and almonds, and cheese. I try to have one salad (I put meat and cheese on my sald) a day and drink plenty of water.

Update time!

25 days in and 10 lbs. lost! (so 25% of the time gone and 33% of the way to my 100 day goal)
I have eaten fast food a couple of times. But still much better than the 4 or 5 times a week I was before.
Likewise, I have had a couple of carbonated drinks, but much better than the 2 cans/day or more that I did before. Mostly I drink fruit juice if I am not drinking water.

Now a couple questions for you healthy folks:

Any opinions on Stevia as a sweetener? I threw away a bag of Splenda and am trying to avoid sugar, HFCS, Aspartame, Sucralose (I had thought that Splenda was OK until recently).

Also, any suggestions on a non-flouride toothpaste or alternative (and it would be nice if it isn't $6.00+ per tube like Mercola's, lol)

Thanks!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:I am seeing how much I can lose in the next 100 days. Not doing anything drastic or unhealthy, I am just having absolutely no fast food, no soda (including diet), no candy, am sticking to mostly low glycemic index food and exercising. I am only 5 days into my 100 days, but it is going well.

Update time!

25 days in and 10 lbs. lost! (so 25% of the time gone and 33% of the way to my 100 day goal)
I have eaten fast food a couple of times. But still much better than the 4 or 5 times a week I was before.
Likewise, I have had a couple of carbonated drinks, but much better than the 2 cans/day or more that I did before. Mostly I drink fruit juice if I am not drinking water.

Now a couple questions for you healthy folks:

Any opinions on Stevia as a sweetener? I threw away a bag of Splenda and am trying to avoid sugar, HFCS, Aspartame, Sucralose (I had thought that Splenda was OK until recently).

Also, any suggestions on a non-flouride toothpaste or alternative (and it would be nice if it isn't $6.00+ per tube like Mercola's, lol)

Thanks!
Tom's toothpaste (they have both fluoride and non-fluoride)....we dig the fennel (tastes like licorice) in non-fluoride. Sunflower Market occasionally has coupons and once in a while Amazon will have a swinging deal on it.

Stick with water.....fruit juice is loaded with sugar.

FDA won't allow Stevia but they do allow all the crap....I haven't done a deep dive on it yet. Probably will over the winter and then grow my own next summer if its as good as they say.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Stick with water.....fruit juice is loaded with sugar.
I know, this is probably my major cave to my sweet tooth - I usually blend in some frozen berries and tell myself I am getting some antioxidants, lol.

I'll check out the Tom's toothpaste!

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

I've been working out for about 2-1/2 months now. I'm certainly not fat, but had a tire going even though I have been in sports my whole life. I've lost 17 lbs (down from 190, 6' tall) since about early Sept. That includes a loss of belly blubber and an increase in muscle of course in other places. Started with simple exercises, crunches, skipping, some weights, rowing machine, etc, and refusing junk food altogether. The main focus was to avoid high sugar or carb or fatty foods in exchange for high protein food, and plenty of water. One big advantage I feel is a clearer mind able to concentrate for longer periods of time. Good health certainly is not just about what you don't eat, but what you do. For workout, I have now mixed in the Insanity stuff with Shawn T, he is awesome. I've never been pushed so hard in my life, but it's worth it. I have a lot more fun playing ice hockey now. It's a great deal. I have been very consistent, and predict I will continue working out the rest of my life. It's a piece that has been missing. My wife and I were going to go to a nearby club in the am, but the kids started joining us and it's been a great family experience. My older boys are learning that you can stay fit without a lot of stuff, just your own body weight against itself as you say.

Getting fit and losing weight is all in your head. Great stuff, glad you showed up here on the forum.

sourcedist
captain of 100

Post by sourcedist »

coachmarc wrote:
BrianM wrote:Question: If I'm exercising about 1 hour a day, 4 or 5 days a week, what do you recommend in regards to what I should do each day? cardio every day? how long? upper body weights twice a week? lower twice a week? or? I'm working out at Gold's Gym in American Fork (anyone else??) sometimes I take some of classes there (bootcamp/kickboxing), I usually get a better workout that way.

Ideas for getting rid of addiction to 'refined white sugar'?
It all really depends on your personal goals. The more muscle you build/have, the more efficiently you metabolize fat. Muscle burns fat. I good balance of resistance training and cardio will keep your muscles strong, as well as your connective tissues. Cardio, of course, keeps your cardiovascular system healthy as well as blood pressure, etc. I say do what you enjoy, whether it's bike riding, rope jumping, running, etc. The point is to keep moving to stay mobile, flexible and strong.
yes.. i have been working out consistently for 17 years... its really done for stress relief and to clear my head.. i actually get a little high too when on the stair climber.. 20-30mins level 7-9.. good stuff..

my supplement of choice is good food and 5-10gm per day of vitamin c.. vitamin-c has done wonders over the course of two years.. it has helped in repairing my adrenals as well as my knees...

i dont really eat fast food, but i do love ice cream and cookies.. my bodyfat stays in the lower teens, like you around 10-11%, all due to cardio and basketball..

in fact it also keeps you looking younger.. i am close to 40, but many mistake me for being in my 20s.. of course thas comes from a lifestyle of not drinking, smoking, or that sorta stuff...

and really working out isnt too time consuming.. you just have to find 30-60mins a few times a week. i love it!