The Superb Mitt Romney

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
Andrew52
captain of 100

The Superb Mitt Romney

Post by Andrew52 »

Impromptus by Jay Nordlinger

About 20 years ago, I often said, “You can say anything about Clarence Thomas. No matter how vile, false, or even racist, you can say it about Thomas, and get away with it. The culture permits it. It’s open season on Clarence Thomas.”

Many years later, I said something similar about Sarah Palin. And I can almost say something similar about Mitt Romney. What I have heard since Election Day is astonishing. Romney has been turned into something he has never been.

The Left has been atrocious, because, why wouldn’t it be? It’s my fellow conservatives I’m talking about. Instant revision and reviling is natural after a loss, I suppose. But the number done on Romney has been galling, to me.

I propose to make a few notes . . .

A few weeks ago, I settled down to read a column by Iain Martin, the excellent British journalist. I did not get past the second paragraph. Because in that paragraph he wrote that the likely explanation for the American election result was that “the Republicans had blundered by choosing as their candidate a plutocratic chap called Mitt Romney who, having been born into great privilege and luxury, seemed to be out of touch with the concerns of most voters.”

Romney is not plutocratic, he is democratic — a democratic thinker and politician through and through. A democratic spirit. His proposals were designed to help millions of others enjoy some of the success that he and his family have enjoyed.

Romney is classically, almost stereotypically, American — at least as we used to conceive Americanness. The reference to him as “plutocratic” is not just lazy but moronic. I would expect it from my fellow Americans — the rot, the idiocy, set in here long ago. I have higher standards for the Brits.

As for Romney’s being “out of touch with the concerns of most voters,” I can tell you that he was in touch with my concerns. And those of many others, I gather: He got between 47 and 48 percent on Election Day.

But that is not most voters, to be sure . . .

A footnote: A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a new book that, in the initial pages, described Ron Radosh as “an anti-communist ideologue.” I could not go on with the book. Maybe I missed something and should have persevered. Maybe I would have been rewarded. But my thinking was, anyone who could describe Ron as “an anti-communist ideologue” is either too ignorant or too dishonest to be worth the time.

Over and over again — day after day — my fellow conservatives have been saying that Romney scanted the “middle class.” He paid too little attention to the “middle class.” He offered nothing to the “middle class.”

It has been maybe the chief refrain on the right since Election Day.

First, “middle class” is such a bogus term — meaningless, obnoxious, cheap. It is a term of Marxists and demagogues and that whole Bidenesque world. My fellow conservatives are using it constantly. I expect them next to refer to the “petite bourgeoisie.” That is hardly a less respectable term than “middle class.”

Second, Romney talked about the “middle class” until he was blue in the face. I know, because I regularly knocked him for it.

After one blessed debate during the Republican primaries, a conservative pundit said, “Romney didn’t even mention the word ‘middle class’!” This was supposed to have been a terrible failure — practically a crime against humanity. Romney was talking to Americans as Americans, not as classes. I praised him for it.

But he did not often make that mistake again — the “mistake” of not saying “middle class.”

Do you remember this moment during the primaries? Romney said, “I’m not concerned about the very poor. There’s a safety net there, and if it needs repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich — they’re doing just fine. I’m concerned about the heart of America, the 95 percent of Americans who are right now struggling.”

I guess he meant the “middle class.” In this instance, he called them “the heart of America,” or “the 95 percent.” Anyway, conservatives went absolutely nuts. They wet their pants. “Romney said he doesn’t care about the poor! Eek, eek!” He had committed a terrible gaffe, according to the media at large. Romney was always being accused of committing “gaffes” when he said perfectly sensible things — such as the above.

So, what did Romney offer the “middle class”? I’ll tell you what: He offered to avert financial collapse. To do something about the debt and the deficit. To reform entitlements. To reform the tax code. To foster the conditions in which economic growth occurs. To help put people back to work. To save the frickin’ country.

That’s not program enough for the “middle class”? What does he have to do, enter each of their homes and bake them muffins? Swab their floors? (Actually, knowing him and his neighborliness, he would do that.)

Saving the country — that should have been enough. And if it wasn’t good enough for the “middle class,” then the “middle class” is an @#$.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... nordlinger#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Superb Mitt Romney

Post by Elizabeth »

:) :-BD

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

I hope everyone will click on the link for the above article because there are two more pages that are quite interesting.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Pages 2 and 3 were great...

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

Ya know, I could care less if he inherited his money or earned his money, whether he had 1 dollar or a gazillion dollars. I am more concerned about whether the person we are voting for is upholding the U.S. Constitution. I am more concerned that he/she votes for constitutional policies and does not fold to pressure.

To bad he supported the NDAA, the TSA, Romney Care, continuing the Federal Reserve, voting for the stimulus package, no true cut in spending, taking from the haves to give to the have nots without mine or yours permission, endless wars where we don't belong, going to war without a declaration from congress (he said in the debate that he would check with the lawyers first and let them figure out the legalities.....WHAT??????? There is nothing legal to figure out. We have a U.S. Constitution that tells you Mr. President what you can and cannot do regarding war, now Mr. President, go learn what's in it!!!!), support of being the world's police men, and on and on and on..... I just don't see how he was much different from Obama, Bush or any of the rest of'em. Sorry, it is just my viewpoint.

Ya know, I think of all he "might have been" since he is LDS. Of all people, "we, the LDS community" should understand freedom and liberty since it is the whole basis of the Plan of Salvation from the very beginning. Especially when that is part of why the Lord went thru the Atonement and Crucifixion and Satan with his minions was cast out for rebellion and wanting to usurp everyone's agency.

It's just to bad more folks don't see things as they really are.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It matters not to most Mormons that he supports the USA being the world's police men, that he supported the NDAA, the TSA, Romney Care and much of Obama Care, continuing the Federal Reserve, voting for the stimulus package, no true cut in spending, taking from the haves to give to the have nots without mine or yours permission, endless wars where we don't belong, going to war without a declaration from congress. Most do not understand the principles of the US Constitution that all this would violate, nor do they understand thier sacred duty to honour those principles.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

heartsongs wrote:Ya know, I could care less if he inherited his money or earned his money, whether he had 1 dollar or a gazillion dollars. I am more concerned about whether the person we are voting for is upholding the U.S. Constitution. I am more concerned that he/she votes for constitutional policies and does not fold to pressure.

To bad he supported the NDAA, the TSA, Romney Care, continuing the Federal Reserve, voting for the stimulus package, no true cut in spending, taking from the haves to give to the have nots without mine or yours permission, endless wars where we don't belong, going to war without a declaration from congress (he said in the debate that he would check with the lawyers first and let them figure out the legalities.....WHAT??????? There is nothing legal to figure out. We have a U.S. Constitution that tells you Mr. President what you can and cannot do regarding war, now Mr. President, go learn what's in it!!!!), support of being the world's police men, and on and on and on..... I just don't see how he was much different from Obama, Bush or any of the rest of'em. Sorry, it is just my viewpoint.

Ya know, I think of all he "might have been" since he is LDS. Of all people, "we, the LDS community" should understand freedom and liberty since it is the whole basis of the Plan of Salvation from the very beginning. Especially when that is part of why the Lord went thru the Atonement and Crucifixion and Satan with his minions was cast out for rebellion and wanting to usurp everyone's agency.

It's just to bad more folks don't see things as they really are.
:ymapplause:

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

sigh, well no one took the obvious troll bait for over 10 hours.... #-o

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

Original_Intent wrote:sigh, well no one took the obvious troll bait for over 10 hours.... #-o
Sorry if I took someone's "troll bait" as you call it. I just speak my mind as I feel it. Life is to short, to hard and I am to old to play mind/troll games. I have not been on or part of this forum long enough to know who is a troll and who is not. I have not been on this forum long enough to know someone's sense of humor or lack there of, their sarcasm or anything else for that matter. Geeze....give me a break. It should be obvious from the small amount of my posts that I am relatively new. :ymsigh:

jeanpierre
captain of 100

Post by jeanpierre »

There seems a strong attitude that because Mitt Romney is LDS and successful in certain areas of his life that it is OK for him to ignore the constitution and support the USA being the world's policeman, support the NDAA, the TSA, the Patriot Act, Romney Care and much of Obama Care, continuing the plunder of our wealth by Federal Reserve, voting for the stimulus package, no true cut in spending, taking from the haves to give to the have nots without mine or yours permission, endless wars where we don't belong, going to war without a declaration from congress.
This attitude reminds me of the attitude even among church members in a country where I once lived that because the prime minister had a mistress instead of a wife that such relationships are acceptable.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Nah, having a constitutional guy is great if you can find him, but if not you go for the better guy. Mitt was clearly the better guy. Those that sat this out, well that was a backfire of permanent consequence. Big time botch.

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

Seek the Truth wrote:Nah, having a constitutional guy is great if you can find him, but if not you go for the better guy. Mitt was clearly the better guy. Those that sat this out, well that was a backfire of permanent consequence. Big time botch.

Prophet Benson said you can't vote for the lesser of two evils because you are still voting for evil, and you don't vote for evil. So how does your idea of voting for the "better guy," that still supports unconstitutional ideals, work with that? And BTW, I didn't sit this election out. I voted, but, I will tell you this. I didn't vote for anyone who supported unconstitutional ideals/policies, etc.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Mitt Romney isn't evil.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Seek the Truth wrote:Mitt Romney isn't evil.
Not intentionally, no, but as far as government goes he serves evil thru ignorance at best, and out of convenience at worst.

And here we go, just as I am sure the OP intended ....

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

heartsongs wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:sigh, well no one took the obvious troll bait for over 10 hours.... #-o
Sorry if I took someone's "troll bait" as you call it. I just speak my mind as I feel it. Life is to short, to hard and I am to old to play mind/troll games. I have not been on or part of this forum long enough to know who is a troll and who is not. I have not been on this forum long enough to know someone's sense of humor or lack there of, their sarcasm or anything else for that matter. Geeze....give me a break. It should be obvious from the small amount of my posts that I am relatively new. :ymsigh:
I wasn't getting on your case. When the OP was posted, I knew it was inevitable that someone would. Frankly, I'm surprised it took 10 hours.

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

Original_Intent wrote:
heartsongs wrote:
I wasn't getting on your case. When the OP was posted, I knew it was inevitable that someone would. Frankly, I'm surprised it took 10 hours.
I thank you then for saying so and I am sorry if I came across rough; and hello to you, it is nice to meet you!! :ymhug:

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

Original_Intent wrote:
Seek the Truth wrote:Mitt Romney isn't evil.
Not intentionally, no, but as far as government goes he serves evil thru ignorance at best, and out of convenience at worst.

And here we go, just as I am sure the OP intended ....
Give it a rest OI. If you don't like the post, why are you here, to cause trouble?

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

At any rate, the article from the OP was about both Media AND GOP treatment of post-election Romney (despite being the nicest guy you can be) compared to the adoration of the destructive Obama....

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Indeed. There is still some relevant analysis here, particularly for some in this forum, the Obama win/Romney loss begins a new era of US History, one of permanent decline in every category. Is it prophecy? Almost assuredly, but what is galling to me is not only was the people voting for him national suicide but the people not voting for Romney was equally suicidal. I hate getting sabotaged by people on the same team. I really hate that.

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

Seek the Truth wrote:Indeed. There is still some relevant analysis here, particularly for some in this forum, the Obama win/Romney loss begins a new era of US History, one of permanent decline in every category. Is it prophecy? Almost assuredly, but what is galling to me is not only was the people voting for him national suicide but the people not voting for Romney was equally suicidal. I hate getting sabotaged by people on the same team. I really hate that.

The calamity that is before us, the pain it will cause, will hopefully cause a re-orientation of everyone's thinking.
The economic situation we are facing is unsustainable and will have political repercussions when the system collapses and is not able
to support government liberal giving of money ( welfare, food stamps etc.) the masses have become accustomed to.

Greece is like watching a movie for the coming chaos in the US. The illusion of printing prosperity will soon be over.

America had her chance and now, I fear, there will never be an opportunity to turn back.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I believe there will be opportunity to turn back, if that is the correct expression. We otta start preparing for that turning back when it happens after the cleansing of America. Ezra Taft Benson once lamented: "For years we have heard of the role the elders could play in saving the Constitution from total destruction. But how can the elders be expected to save it if they have not studied it and are not sure if it is being destroyed or what is destroying it ?"

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

God is about to kill most of us off, Mormon or not. We are more in the crosshairs than anyone else because we are the ones who should know better but we don't. We think killing our brothers and sisters for gain is righteous as long as they are Iraqi's or from Iran. Those who think Romney would have slowed this down by one second are mistaken.

The window of opportunity has closed long ago.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Exactly. It's not just a Mormon thing (failing to uphold the Constitution), but a Christian thing - the most Christian nation on Earth turning its back on God...

Liberty_Agent
captain of 100

Post by Liberty_Agent »

I don't think any Republican candidate can stand the vicious attacks from the Left. And those on the right in this nation are so liberalized culturally and mentally that we will never be able to compete.