Will God Bless America?

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
Andrew52
captain of 100

Will God Bless America?

Post by Andrew52 »

Thursday, November 01 2012
Will God Bless America?
By Rynna Ollivier

With just a few days left before what is being called the most important Presidential election of our time, many of us find ourselves worn down from all the acrimonious political fighting.

We’ve endured months of vicious campaigning, deceitful attack adds and fierce controversy on just about every issue known to man and country, and yet the most important question of all, in my opinion, has never even been asked!

Will America survive if she does not remain a Nation under God?

George Washington understood the importance of the role of Deity in governing this Nation when he wrote, "It is impossible to rightly govern . . . without God and the Bible." (George Washington, Federer, p.660)

However, honor and respect for God and His word is waning in America. People, both in and out of government, are constantly challenging His supremacy and laws, in the guise of political correctness.

But in spite of efforts to downgrade God’s standing in this Nation, the proclamation “God bless America” continues to resound all across this land.

But will He? Will God bless America?

Scripture is very clear regarding the receiving of Heavenly blessings – make no mistake about it!

“There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated – And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.” (D&C 130:20-21)

Even though there are many good people in this Country who profess love for God, and consider themselves His sheep, the blessings of heaven will not come unless we are obedient to God’s laws and commandments.

So where does that leave America for obtaining heavenly reward? Is this Nation striving to keep God’s laws and commandments so that He will bless us – or not? Let’s take a look and see where we stand.

For starters, how about God’s commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy?

“And God spake all these words, saying . . . Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work." (Exodus 20:8-10)

One way to ascertain if America is trying to keep this commandment is to observe how many enterprises are open on Sunday, and how many people patronize them.

In the late 18th century, laws were established throughout this land to honor and observe God’s commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy. All over America, people observed and reverenced God’s hallowed day. Sabbath-day keeping had become a distinct characteristic of America.

Under the Watchful Eye of Moses

Alexis de Tocqueville, a French historian, and political thinker of his day, wrote in 1840 “Nothing strikes a foreigner on his arrival in America more forcibly than the regard paid to the Sabbath.”

But over time opposition, greed, people’s want for worldly things and entertainment, replaced the desire to honor and keep holy, God’s Sabbath.

By the middle part of the twentieth century, the US Supreme Court had struck down, and deemed unconstitutional, any law prohibiting a business from being open on Sunday. (The Decline of the Sabbath – by Mollie Ziegler Hemingway, Wall Street Journal, June 15, 2007)

And as these very judges convened to rule against God’s fourth commandment, they did so under the watchful eye of God’s own appointed lawgiver, Moses, who sits atop the east entrance of the Supreme Court building, holding stone replicas of the Ten Commandments – and behind courtroom doors, in which is carved a copy of the Ten Commandments.

What was the result? America changed! America went from being a religiously based culture, to a commercial and consuming culture. Now it is the exception, rather than the rule, for a business to remain closed on Sunday.

Another major player in the cause of decline in Sabbath Day observance, is the world of Sunday Sports.

The first measurable sign of the disintegration of the Sabbath, started to become noticeable in the 1950’s. It was noted, in consumer indexes, some 90% of homes were reported to have television, and some 40% of them were tuned in to Sunday football. (Decline of the Sabbath, by Mollie Ziegler Hemingway, Wall Street Journal, 2007)

Today Sunday worship, for a great many people, has become secondary to football, and other sporting events that are attended, and nationally televised, on Sundays.

Adding insult to injury, the ultimate all American sporting event of the year, The Super Bowl, is held on Sunday - mocking God even further by referring to His holy day as Super Bowl Sunday.

And we are asking God, Lord of the Sabbath, to bless such a nation? REALLY!

The commandment “Thou shalt not kill” should seem obvious and clear - without need of interpretation. But this law has become politically charged, extremely controversial, and in constant need of interpretation, as we, mere mortals, fiercely debate when life is life, and when it is not.

Core to the integrity of any individual, or government, is keeping the commandment “Thou shalt not bear false witness.”

However it seems of little importance or consequence these days, that lies and deceit abound, not only in people’s private lives but also in the public arena, including the highest held offices in the land!

And way too often lying and stealing, (God’s 8th commandment) link arm in arm as “best friends forever,” with very little daylight showing between them.

“Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” seems a rather hopeless plea, considering today’s socially acceptable profaning of God’s holy name in the guise of frustration, self-expression, entertainment and creativity.

And let’s not overlook “Thou shalt not commit adultery,” and “Thou shalt not covet . . . anything that is thy neighbors.” How is society doing in keeping these two critical commandments?

America in Spiritual Decline

President Ezra Taft Benson had this to say about immorality and coveting.

I have seen this great nation decline spiritually… Individuals

and businesses giving license to immorality; and politicians

dignifying the coveting of others’ possessions and property by

stating, ‘We will take from the haves and give to the have nots’.

At first we resisted this philosophy, then consented; next,

demanded; and now we have legislated.

Politically, we licensed

coveting what others had earned! (The Teachings of Ezra

Taft Benson, p.572)

But the real wake-up call should come with this Nation’s growing indifference to God’s very first commandment, “Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.” We need to remember that failure to keep this one comes with God’s warning that we as a Nation will cease to exist!

Here are God’s own words regarding this critical commandment.

“Thou shalt have no other gods before me . . . for I the Lord thy God am a (HEB) qannah God, (possessing sensitive and deep feelings) visiting the iniquity . . . upon . . .them that hate me.” (Exodus. 20:5)

And in Ether 2:12, the Lord gives clear warning to the inhabitants of America - His chosen land. “For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands; wherefore he that doth possess it shall serve God or shall be swept off . . .”

Inevitable Tyranny

Here’s a fact that has repeated itself throughout history.

“When God is denied, political power knows no limit—even if that power rests in a legislature or in the will of “the people”—and therefore tyranny becomes almost inevitable. And when the true God is marginalized, someone else or something else—the army, the press, the government, a single leader—plays the role of God, and that is dangerous indeed.” (Chicago Tribune – U.S. should be Nation under God that keeps the Sabbath, June 26, 2011)

On November 6, we will once again be privileged to exercise our right to choose the man we want to lead, govern and represent this great Country.

Here’s the good news! National surveys show “the majority of Americans want a President who will encourage and influence the people by his own example, by personally embracing righteous principles, values and morals according to God’s laws.” (Democrats and Republicans agree: They want a president who believes in God, Jordan Sekulow, The Washington Post, 2011)

But here’s the bad news. Confidence in and hope for America’s continued greatness is rapidly declining. The majority of US citizens now believe that America is no longer the hope of the earth.

Consider the following National survey.Am

Just 43% of American adults now view the United States as the last best hope of mankind, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. That’s down from 51% who felt that way in May of 2010. That’s a 12% decline in just two years! (Rasmussen reports “America last best hope”)

The Reconstruction of America

This sudden decline could be the result of a downward spiraling economy, and a rapid increase over the last several years of what is now termed “the religiously unaffiliated.” “These are atheists, agnostics, or ‘nothing in particular’ who seek to change and reconstruct the face of America and her value system; having great potential to upset critical institutions such as family, marriage, education and politics.” (What’s ahead for US as more Americans lose connection to religion? – by Allison Terry, Christian Science Monitor, Oct. 2012)

Perhaps John Adams had a premonition regarding faith, the Constitution, and future challenges when he penned, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." (John Adams, Federer, p. 10)

Unfortunately, today’s political leaders and analysts, economic strategists, and mainstream media would have us believe that all America needs to be restored, get well and prosper, is better results from Wall Street, the Banks, employment numbers, the housing market, the automobile industry, better foreign policy, less dependence on foreign oil, and the list goes on and on.

But what America really needs is a spiritual recovery – and leadership that understands this. Then strength and prosperity will follow.

Hope for America

If our hope for America is that she resume her rightful place of inheritance from the Lord - as that great shining city on a hill - then we must, once again, recognize God as the head of this Nation and honor and obey His commandments. If we will do this, the Lord promises, “I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.” (Doctrine and Covenants 82:10)

We are at a pivotal moment in this Country! Are we going to be a Nation under God or a Nation under man? The time to choose is now, and the choice to make is God – if we want the continued blessings of the Almighty.

But what happens if we don’t make the right choice – what then?

Here’s what I think . . . It seems very unlikely that a Nation which disregards and mocks God’s commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy, has become used to, and even tolerant of, the profaning of His holy name, overlooks and dismisses lying, cheating, and immoral behavior, promotes envy and disdain for those who are successful, disregards the sanctity of human life, seeks to rewrite His doctrine on marriage and family, and, above all, fails to honor and recognize His Omnipotence and Omnipresence over this land – His chosen land, would be a Nation He would be anxious to bless.

Furthermore, if the majority of this Nation knowingly elects leadership that seeks to diminish God’s influence in this land, taking us further down the path of spiritual erosion, then I would strongly suggest that we replace the revered and impassioned proclamation “God bless America” with a more humble supplication such as, “please God – bless America” . . . and pray that He will.

George Alabaster
captain of 100

Re: Will God Bless America?

Post by George Alabaster »

Andrew52,

We may seek the blessings of God, but I have no control over my neighbor. I think God will judge souls, not nations. Mexico is a very religious country, but look how they have been blessed. Not so much. Denmark is one of the least religious countries in Europe, and according to Gallup, one of the happiest. We should look after our own well being and not worry too much about how a constitutionally secular nation chooses to govern itself.

George

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

George Alabaster wrote:Andrew52,

We may seek the blessings of God, but I have no control over my neighbor. I think God will judge souls, not nations. Mexico is a very religious country, but look how they have been blessed. Not so much. Denmark is one of the least religious countries in Europe, and according to Gallup, one of the happiest. We should look after our own well being and not worry too much about how a constitutionally secular nation chooses to govern itself.

George
You can love your neighbor!

Paul. In Romans 13:8-10, Paul says:

Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

George Alabaster
captain of 100

Post by George Alabaster »

Andrew52 wrote:
You can love your neighbor!
Andrew52,

Yes you can, but there are limits to the extent of control we have over them. My neighbor has the freedom to sin, blaspheme, or disbelieve if that is their choice. Should we live in fear because our follow citizens don't live righteously?

George