LDS Prophet Says Don't Vote For Mitt Romney

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
creator
(of the Forum)

Re: LDS Prophet Says Don't Vote For Mitt Romney

Post by creator »

@blondenblueeyed,

Let's see here... so you responded to my quoting of J. Reuben Clark, George Washington, Ezra Taft Benson, Joseph Smith and others, and yet you came up with all of that about ME? That's very interesting. I didn't realize you could tell so much about a person by looking at who they are quoting.

A few responses to what you said... While my little finger is beyond perfect, the rest of me is not even close to it. :-B

It sure would be nice if the Ron Paul campaign sent some money my way, however, I haven't been campaigning for him this year so I'm not sure how I could sell that idea. Perhaps if you could find my alleged "endorsement of Ron Paul" then I could forward it on to his campaign with an invoice. :D

I'm not mad. No reason to be mad at you. I like you. How could I be mad at someone I like? :ymhug:

(By the way, I'm not voting for Mitt Romney today)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Fielding wrote:This thread has been so entertaining I feel like I owe a fee. You guys are professional badmouthers. :)
Let me know if you need an address to send that to? or a link: http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/support/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LDSguy
captain of 100

Post by LDSguy »

BrianM wrote:and here's why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmeoz0g29E
J. Reuben Clark, Jr. wrote:Now, I am not caring today, for myself, anything at all about a political party tag. So far as I am concerned, I want to know what the man stands for ...When I find out these things, when I know who it is who should receive my support, and I care not what his party tag is...Today, our duty transcendsparty allegiance; our duty today is allegiance to the Constitution as it was given to us by the Lord. (J. Reuben Clark, Jr., CR 10/62:8)
George Washington wrote:They serve to organize factions...to put in the place of the delegated will of the nation the will of the party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority...Let me... warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirity of party...The alternate domination of one faction over another, shapened by the spirit of revenge...has perperated the most horrid enormities...It [the contention between the parties] serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. (Washington's Farewell Address)
man I the it when you and I and others like us who really see things clearly are right Brian ;)
Ezra Taft Benson wrote:"We honor these partners [friends outside the Church] because their devotion to correct principles overshadowed their devotion to popularity, party , or personalities.

"We honor our founding fathers of this republic for the same reason. God raised up these patriotic partners to perform their mission, and he called them "wise men." (see D&C 101:80.) The First Presidency acknowledged that wisdom when they gave us the guideline a few years ago of supporting political candidates "who are truly dedicated to the Constitution in the tradition of our Founding Fathers." (Deseret News, November 2, 1964.) . . .

"Our wise founders seemed to understand, better than most of us, our own scripture, which states that "it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority . . . they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." (D&C 121:39.)

"To help prevent this, the founders knew that our elected leaders should be bound by certain fixed principles. Said Thomas Jefferson: "In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."

"These wise founders, our patriotic partners, seemed to appreciate more than most of us the blessings of the boundaries that the Lord set within the Constitution, for he said, "And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil." (D&C 98:7.)

"In God the founders trusted, and in his Constitution—not in the arm of flesh. "O Lord," said Nephi, "I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; . . . cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm."" (2 Nephi 4:34.) ("Civic Standards for the Faithful Saints" 59-60)
Ezra Taft Benson wrote:...each priesthood holder should use his influence in the community to resist the erosion process which is taking place in our political and economic life. He should use the political party of his choice to express his evaluation of important issues. He should see that his party is working to preserve freedom, not destroy it. He should join responsible local groups interested in promoting freedom and free competitive enterprise, in studying political issues, appraising the voting records and proposed programs, and writing to members of Congress, promoting good men in public office, and scrutinizing local, state, and federal agencies to see that the will of the people is being carried out. He should not wait for the Lord's servants to give instruction for every detail once they have announced the direction in which the priesthood should go. Each member should exercise prayerful judgment and then act. [Ezra Taft Benson - God, Family, Country]
Ezra Taft Benson wrote:We must be devoted to sound principles in word and deed: principle above party, principle above pocketbook, principle above popularity. [Ezra Taft Benson - God, Family, Country]
Hyrum Smith wrote:"We engage in the election the same as in any other principle; you are to vote for good men, and if you do not do this it is a sin; to vote for wicked men, it would be sin . Choose the good and refuse the evil. Men of false principles have preyed upon us like wolves upon helpless lambs.…. Let every man use his liberties according to the Constitution. Don't fear man or devil; electioneer with all people, male and female, and exhort them to do the thing that is right. We want a President of the United States, not a party President, but a President of the whole people…and…. Have a President who will maintain every man in his rights ." (Hyrum Smith, 1844, DHC-6:323)
Henry D. Moyle wrote:"No political party is justified to continue in existence unless it clearly states the principles which it advocates, the platform upon which its candidates stand, and then with integrity, when and if elected, carry out those principles and live up to that platform. Except that be the case, we as Latter-day Saints should not align ourselves to any party, because we do not have the basis upon which we can make an intelligent decision. We must know what they stand for before we can favor them with our vote." (Henry D. Moyle, CR-4/52:36)
Joseph Smith wrote:In the next canvas we shall be influenced by no party consideration...the partisans in this county who expect to divide the friends of humanity and equal rights will find themselves mistakes -- we care not a fig for Whig or Democrat; they are both alike to us; but we shall go for our friends, our tried friends, and that cause of human liberty which is the cause of God. We are aware that 'divide and conquer' is the watchword with many, but with us it cannot be done -- we love too well -- we have suffered too much to be easily duped -- we have no cat's paws amongst us. [Times & Seasons - 3:651]

jonholb55
captain of 100

Post by jonholb55 »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a strict policy of political neutrality. A very familiar statement regarding LDS Church political neutrality is read over the pulpit before every U.S. election. In that same statement, the Saints are told that they are free to make their own decisions but to remember to vote for people with high moral standards, honesty and integrity. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints neither endorses or opposes any candidate. The Church reserves the right to speak out on moral issues that confront society. In my humble opinion that to make the blanket statement that President Thomas S. Monson is telling the LDS faithful not to vote for Mitt Romney is obsurd. A couple of years ago, Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid was a forum speaker at BYU. This is further proof of political neutrality of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However, again, this is my humble opinion, that the current positions of Democrat Party runs counter to the culture of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I also find fault with the intelligensia of the Republican Party in the aftermath of the 2012 election. The Republican Party lacks a moral set of convictions or principles that would even justify their existence.

MsEva
captain of 100

Post by MsEva »

jonholb55 wrote:The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a strict policy of political neutrality. A very familiar statement regarding LDS Church political neutrality is read over the pulpit before every U.S. election. In that same statement, the Saints are told that they are free to make their own decisions but to remember to vote for people with high moral standards, honesty and integrity. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints neither endorses or opposes any candidate. The Church reserves the right to speak out on moral issues that confront society. In my humble opinion that to make the blanket statement that President Thomas S. Monson is telling the LDS faithful not to vote for Mitt Romney is obsurd. A couple of years ago, Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid was a forum speaker at BYU. This is further proof of political neutrality of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However, again, this is my humble opinion, that the current positions of Democrat Party runs counter to the culture of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I also find fault with the intelligensia of the Republican Party in the aftermath of the 2012 election. The Republican Party lacks a moral set of convictions or principles that would even justify their existence.

I agree.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

jonholb55 wrote:The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a strict policy of political neutrality. A very familiar statement regarding LDS Church political neutrality is read over the pulpit before every U.S. election. In that same statement, the Saints are told that they are free to make their own decisions but to remember to vote for people with high moral standards, honesty and integrity. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints neither endorses or opposes any candidate. The Church reserves the right to speak out on moral issues that confront society. In my humble opinion that to make the blanket statement that President Thomas S. Monson is telling the LDS faithful not to vote for Mitt Romney is obsurd. A couple of years ago, Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid was a forum speaker at BYU. This is further proof of political neutrality of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However, again, this is my humble opinion, that the current positions of Democrat Party runs counter to the culture of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I also find fault with the intelligensia of the Republican Party in the aftermath of the 2012 election. The Republican Party lacks a moral set of convictions or principles that would even justify their existence.
There's plenty of sentiment against the church and/or it's commited members as a whole from all sides of the political spectrum. There were plenty of Republicans I knew who went , IMHO, beyond the mark of pointing out simply the fact that Romney shouldn't be trusted in positions of power for approving of the Patriot Act, the NDAA, and using a very worldly excuse to try and justify being pro-abortion, his situation in trying to win against Ted Kennedy made the whole story even more disturbing. If that's the case, then I can at least understand the problems to be had with Romney, because well, even I as a member of the church shared those sentiments. However, unlike some bloggers, I am afraid that trying to argue all Mormons believe what Mitt Romney does is rediculous, and that, I argued against and/or referred to the I Am a Mormon campaign to show how rediculous the idea was. However, in hindsight, it did offer me a good opportunity not to defend Romney, but the genuinely diverse set of people that comprises the membership, for that, i am thankful.

All sides of politics have some serious beef with the church, and this is totally understandable given that if people repented and really adhered to the gospel of Christ, Unconstitutional politics, the welfare state, and so on, simply would not sell.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Benjamin_LK wrote:
There's plenty of sentiment against the church and/or it's commited members as a whole from all sides of the political spectrum. There were plenty of Republicans I knew who went , IMHO, beyond the mark of pointing out simply the fact that Romney shouldn't be trusted in positions of power for approving of the Patriot Act, the NDAA, and using a very worldly excuse to try and justify being pro-abortion, his situation in trying to win against Ted Kennedy made the whole story even more disturbing. If that's the case, then I can at least understand the problems to be had with Romney, because well, even I as a member of the church shared those sentiments. However, unlike some bloggers, I am afraid that trying to argue all Mormons believe what Mitt Romney does is rediculous, and that, I argued against and/or referred to the I Am a Mormon campaign to show how rediculous the idea was. However, in hindsight, it did offer me a good opportunity not to defend Romney, but the genuinely diverse set of people that comprises the membership, for that, i am thankful.

All sides of politics have some serious beef with the church, and this is totally understandable given that if people repented and really adhered to the gospel of Christ, Unconstitutional politics, the welfare state, and so on, simply would not sell.
Even if Romney would have been the perfect candidate in every way, he still would have lost. Obama won by fraudulent means, and could possibly get an unprecedented third term. The Gads are too strong now to contend with without bloodshed. And Americans did this because they didn't understand the freedoms they shared and how they got them. God has been kicked out of almost every aspect of the old American way of life. Satan is taking over, and many, many Americans are helping him do it.

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

freedomfighter wrote:
Benjamin_LK wrote:

Even if Romney would have been the perfect candidate in every way, he still would have lost. Obama won by fraudulent means, and could possibly get an unprecedented third term. The Gads are too strong now to contend with without bloodshed. And Americans did this because they didn't understand the freedoms they shared and how they got them. God has been kicked out of almost every aspect of the old American way of life. Satan is taking over, and many, many Americans are helping him do it.
It goes beyond fraudulent means: in fact, it goes so far as the majority of the U.S. populace believes the promises of prosperity that many politicians, including Obama, offer. How are the populace supposed to get rich quick? I really don't see much of that happening, in fact, what I find odd is how plenty of authoritarian leaders promised the people they would get wealthier, only to ultimately consolidate special privileges and wealth to the political class, and make everyone else pretty much more impoverished.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Benjamin_LK wrote:
Benjamin_LK wrote:

It goes beyond fraudulent means: in fact, it goes so far as the majority of the U.S. populace believes the promises of prosperity that many politicians, including Obama, offer. How are the populace supposed to get rich quick? I really don't see much of that happening, in fact, what I find odd is how plenty of authoritarian leaders promised the people they would get wealthier, only to ultimately consolidate special privileges and wealth to the political class, and make everyone else pretty much more impoverished.
What's even more sad is that many Americans that are aware of what's going on are doing very little to stop it. Some place, some time...Americans will take a stand. Thousands of people have been murdered by their own government because of false belief and listening to every possible way to bring them into subjection. And once it happened then and only then did they see the error of their ways as they were gathered and shot to death.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Having just returned from your fine country, my observation is that Mexicans and blacks are extremely unlikely to vote for a republican president (this is california)
California has 55 votes.
ditto Texas and its votes and Mexicans.
I doubt you will ever see a republican president when there are 50 millions on food stamps, poor blacks and Mexicans.

if I were a rusted on republican (sadly they exist), I'd give up the dream.

mitt was an idiot to say it
was wrong to think it
but was actually half right

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Well freedomfighter, the question always lies, how much does someone value his own soul, or the souls of others. Would they embrace something corrupt, unsustainable, and amoral, for having the approval of the day of their politicians, government, or national/worldwide peers? Personally, we'll all have to make those decisions someday.

Re: AussieOi, If Mitt was really into winning the election no matter what cost, then yes, he would be a real idiot, but as much as I would like to believe him evil, I hesitate to judging him on the matter, he didn't win, and honestly, that's a mixed blessing in quite a number of ways. Again, for all that you or I know, he could have eventually figured he was no longer willing to keep playing the political game, which isn't exactly great anyways, and just let it go, let it go, because he was sick and tired of having to play to win like his opponent was. I would like, really hard, to just call Romney a member of the NWO, but at the same time, I wouldn't expect God to judge me in the way in which I would be judging him, and so I leave it up to God to figure out how good or how bad he is.

DC1961
Hi, I'm new.

Post by DC1961 »

And let him who is pure.. throw the first stone.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

DC1961 wrote:And let him who is pure.. throw the first stone.
This is exactly what Christ is going to do. Want to know why? Because He is perfect and because He can. So for the wicked...those who profess to know Christ, yet their hearts are far from Him...look out!
We must seek Him with full purpose of heart, with real intent and a humble attitude.
He who exalts himself shall be abased, he who humbles himself shall be exalted. Pretty simple reasoning, actually.

Matthew 23:12
12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

The path to exaltation is narrow, each one of us in our own place within that path, each responsible for their own doings, their own thoughts and actions. Yet each one of us should have our own tether line attached to our Savior, because salvation is not a group event.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Falsely attributing words to a Prophet is a sad reflection of hypocrisy and blasphemy.
Last edited by Elizabeth on May 10th, 2014, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re:

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Janadele1 wrote:The title of this thread is a sad reflection of hypocrisy and blasphemy.
??

Theoden76
captain of 100

Post by Theoden76 »

Andrew52 wrote: September 6th, 2012, 7:50 pm Image

In the LDS faith, prophets, or presidents of the church, are the mouthpieces of God. Prophets speak for God, and one can uncover political beliefs beginning with two founding fathers of Mormonism, Brigham Young and Joseph Smith:
•Smith, Young, and many other prophets revealed to their followers that “The time will come when the destiny of the nation will hang upon a single thread. At that critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction.”
I doubt you find Mitten's anywhere around when that needs to happen.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Elder Ezra Taft Benson once said " For years we have heard of the role the elders could play in saving the Constitution from total destruction. But how can the elders be expected to save it if they have not studied it and are not sure if it is being destroyed or what is destroying it?” (My source: Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson).

Theoden76
captain of 100

Post by Theoden76 »

lundbaek wrote: May 7th, 2021, 11:30 pm Elder Ezra Taft Benson once said " For years we have heard of the role the elders could play in saving the Constitution from total destruction. But how can the elders be expected to save it if they have not studied it and are not sure if it is being destroyed or what is destroying it?” (My source: Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson).
I totally agree.

And the RNC is useless in the regard as are many of the state GOP organizations.

Nobody is pushing for decentralization and local autonomy as the founders intended.

Conservatives seem to lack a good voice in this regard.

It's not sexy....just basic constitutional structure.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Romney's face keeps showing up with the post of misinformation and gadianton questions. Mitt, if he doesn't repent will see hell. He has spent his years laundering the money for rich elites so that they can child traffick and sell drugs and avoid the IRS. He owns the company that picks up and either disposes of or delivers to the research butchers all of the aborted fetus in most of the US.

When Romney was confronted regarding the stericycle contract to collect aborted fetus( not many companies would lower themselves to that job) with his name on it then he lied and said that he no longer owned the company. His name was on the contract. His name. Makes him a liar.

I believe most of the stericycle trucks deliver to Utah near dugway, don't they? Imagine, Utah recieving the bodies of millions of aborted fetuses wo that unfit Mitt can make a buck. Shame
btw; this is old news and can be found by just googleing key words

Unfit Mitt's son Tag owns the company that provides the illegal electronic voting polls that have rigged more elections than you can imagine. That's what got Hillary unelected. Trumps team figured it out and overrode tag's system. Mitt and Tag have been literally booted out of several foreign countries after rigging elections and never asked to come back.

Wonder if Tag and Hunter are in the same group. Oh yeah, they are. The rich elite group that supports crimes against humanity as a source of income and bribery then takes oaths to protect each other. hmmmmmmm it's all on the net-

satan has been bragging a lot and wants us all to join (worldwide) in crime and wickedness because it is so much more profitable than living God's laws-when put to the test of deception with the oil in our lamps then the only excuse we will have is laziness towards researching our world and hardheartedness.

How much more obvious does God need to make it?

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Original_Intent wrote: September 6th, 2012, 8:06 pm I believe the quote was that IF it were to be saved it would be by the ELDERS of ZION.

I am quite certain that a recent prophet stated that the Constitution would NOT be saved in Washington D.C.

But, by all means, keep chugging the Kool-Aid if that works for you.
and that prophet said that good men including the elders of the church will save and it may take the blood of good men or something like that . . but he included good men . . not restricting it to elders

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Latter-day Saints are the only people on this planet who have been told by the Lord that He established the Constitution of the United States. And He even told us how: that He established it by the hands of wise men whom He raised up unto that very purpose. He also told us that it was to be maintained for the rights and protection of all people, and that its principles were to be established forever. (D&C 101:77&80 & D&C 109:54)

Latter-day Saints have been told also by latter-day prophets and apostles of the vital importance of learning the principles of the U.S. Constitution as it was meant to be understood, and of defending, upholding and adhering to its principles. (Our Divine Constitution, President Benson, October 1987General Conference, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng ) (President Dallin H. Oaks, April 2021 General Conference, https/abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2021/04/51oaks?lang=eng)

Unfortunately, Latter-day Saints have failed America by not being united or faithful in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States. Not only have they ignored the admonitions in their scriptures and from their prophets and apostles to study, uphold, and abide by the principles of the U.S. Constitution, but they have also largely ignored the warnings about secret combinations among them striving to gain control over their government and steal their wealth. (Ether 8: 19-25, Elder Boyd K. Packer, August 2010 Ensign magazine, Pg 23, and I Testify, President Benson, October 1988 General Conference, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... y?lang=eng

As noted above, Latter-day Saints have been singled out to perform a divine mission to preserve the United States Constitution from destruction.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

lundbaek wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:57 pm Latter-day Saints are the only people on this planet who have been told by the Lord that He established the Constitution of the United States. And He even told us how: that He established it by the hands of wise men whom He raised up unto that very purpose. He also told us that it was to be maintained for the rights and protection of all people, and that its principles were to be established forever. (D&C 101:77&80 & D&C 109:54)

Latter-day Saints have been told also by latter-day prophets and apostles of the vital importance of learning the principles of the U.S. Constitution as it was meant to be understood, and of defending, upholding and adhering to its principles. (Our Divine Constitution, President Benson, October 1987General Conference, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng ) (President Dallin H. Oaks, April 2021 General Conference, https/abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2021/04/51oaks?lang=eng)

Unfortunately, Latter-day Saints have failed America by not being united or faithful in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States. Not only have they ignored the admonitions in their scriptures and from their prophets and apostles to study, uphold, and abide by the principles of the U.S. Constitution, but they have also largely ignored the warnings about secret combinations among them striving to gain control over their government and steal their wealth. (Ether 8: 19-25, Elder Boyd K. Packer, August 2010 Ensign magazine, Pg 23, and I Testify, President Benson, October 1988 General Conference, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... y?lang=eng

As noted above, Latter-day Saints have been singled out to perform a divine mission to preserve the United States Constitution from destruction.
When I ran for Parliament (our equivalent of your Congress) in 2008 and 2011, the most opposition I received was from.... "God's Church". :o

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

ithink wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:54 pm
lundbaek wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:57 pm Latter-day Saints are the only people on this planet who have been told by the Lord that He established the Constitution of the United States. And He even told us how: that He established it by the hands of wise men whom He raised up unto that very purpose. He also told us that it was to be maintained for the rights and protection of all people, and that its principles were to be established forever. (D&C 101:77&80 & D&C 109:54)

When I ran for Parliament (our equivalent of your Congress) in 2008 and 2011, the most opposition I received was from.... "God's Church". :o
The ones that lie when they say they are party neutral?

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Fred wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:01 pm
ithink wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:54 pm

The ones that lie when they say they are party neutral?
No, it was the Stake President, Bishop, and a General Authority.