It's HOW You Choose To Act

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

It's HOW You Choose To Act

Post by Craig Johnson »

No matter what is going on in your life you can be a good person. I like the recent movie about Wizard of Oz where the witch tells the wizard basically that it is better to be good than to be great. Here is a link about what wealth can do to people:
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/05/pow ... fic-proof/
I am posting this in this forum (Alternative Health Solutions) because I am hoping some mental health folks can weigh in on this and give us constructive guidance.
Here's another link:
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-like ... ney-2013-6
My wife and I were talking about winning a lottery today that she puts in for every year Evidently they have a method of payment, if you win, where you can designate someone to receive the money when you die She wants to designate one of our children. I was okay with that until she changed which child she wanted to designate and I had a really hard time seeing how that child, with a history of self-importance, would do a better job than our first pick, a child who is self-sacrificing and absolutely devoted to the family. Then, I changed my tune and said she should just leave it to me and when I die the whole thing would be over with. It's just so silly, we aren't going to win a lottery it would ruin us! Besides I am retired and we don't need anything.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

How do the powerless/poor react to power/incredible wealth

Post by Silver Pie »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 8th, 2018, 10:51 pmI am posting this in this forum (Alternative Health Solutions) because I am hoping some mental health folks can weigh in on this and give us constructive guidance.
I'm not a mental health person, but I think that someone used to not having enough will have a challenge being wise with a million dollars dumped in their lap. The best course of action, imo, would be to treat it as a retirement, taking out only as much as needed. Now, a lottery is meted out, right? So that part is already done to some degree. But mindset is everything.

Power? Same thing maybe? A powerless person who has been abused suddenly gets massive power (Hitler?), then they can become the worst thing his/her fellow beings have experienced.

In the case of money, it's to step back and let yourself have it slower than you might be prone to naturally do. In the case of power, it might be good to step back and realize you're really nothing, no better than anyone else.