Recommendations for a non-vax friendly doctor?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Recommendations for a non-vax friendly doctor?

Post by Rose Garden »

My toddler has been struggling with a cough for months, not for the first time in her life. I'm pretty sure she has mild asthma. It's been manageable until tonight. She had a pretty scary attack tonight where she was barely breathing. I've taken her to a couple of doctors who didn't help. Clearly I need a new doctor but I'm nervous about just choosing one I don't know because my toddler hasn't been vaccinated and we don't have insurance. I was hoping I could get some recommendations for doctors who won't hassle me about vaccinations and who will be mindful of the lack of insurance during treatment. I'm in South Provo and would prefer one not too far from where I live.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Re: Recommendations for a non-vax friendly doctor?

Post by Juliet »

Lobelia is a genus of flowering plants that includes approximately 400 species and was popular in traditional Native American medicine as an emetic, expectorant and respiratory stimulant. Lobelia is currently used as an adjunctive for the treatment of asthma and other respiratory disorders. The active constituent of Lobelia is the alkaloid lobeline, which is known for its beneficial effects on the function of the respiratory tract including stimulating breathing, supporting the cough reflex and improving vascular tone. Lobelia is important as an alternative treatment for patients with asthma to reduce or eliminate the need for pharmaceuticals commonly associated with adverse effects. However, because of its properties as a respiratory stimulant and expectorant, Lobelia should be used at the correct dose and together with herbs that are soothing to the throat and lungs, and it is often used in a synergistic herbal formula that includes Lobelia herb and seed, Zingiber officinale (ginger), and Hyssopus officinalis (hyssop). Lobelia should not be used as a substitute for drug therapy during an asthma attack and its use is contraindicated during pregnancy. Lobelia has no known adverse drug interactions and it is therefore a promising complementary therapy for the management of respiratory disorders, in particular in light of the recent increase in the prevalence of allergic respiratory diseases.

https://restorativemedicine.org/journal ... y-illness/

Also, Comfrey is an herb that can help. I take it because it is like taking a prenatal, it is soooo full of vitamins.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8CX9_Qi67g

Some of the reviews said it cleared up asthma. It can burn do be careful about the dose and such. But drugs for asthma are pretty hard core, I would rather use a strong herb. That is just my opinion.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I share your opinion. I've tried many herbs and home remedies as I've sought answers to this and have found nothing that really helps. Using a humidifier at night has been good but it didn't help last night.

I'll look into the lobelia. I usually stick with kitchen herbs except in cases like this where they aren't helping. Because she's so little, I'm wary of using strong herbs but it might be better than pharmaceuticals. I've also had a friend point me toward fig leaves which have been used as food throughout history so I'll be trying those.

I would still love suggestions for doctors. Even if I can find herbs that will help, having an inhaler on hand will likely still be good for those scary moments.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

You might want to look for a naturopath. "naturopath provo"

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks, Johnny! I was looking up herbalists earlier and couldn't find a thing but there are quite a few results under naturopath.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

Ohana chiropractic in Orem. My friend takes her family to them.

My daughter had bad asthma which developed when she was 17. Went to the ER twice & had to pack inhalers. I fixed it when I found emotion code. Her breathing shutting down was an emotional issue. She has not carried an inhaler for years or had an episode since.

A lot of the chiropractors up north do awesome stuff. Dr. Joe at Ohana has a frequency machine that will scan & list things you are deficient in.... Minerals, etc.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Meili wrote: December 17th, 2017, 11:31 am I share your opinion. I've tried many herbs and home remedies as I've sought answers to this and have found nothing that really helps. Using a humidifier at night has been good but it didn't help last night.

I'll look into the lobelia. I usually stick with kitchen herbs except in cases like this where they aren't helping. Because she's so little, I'm wary of using strong herbs but it might be better than pharmaceuticals. I've also had a friend point me toward fig leaves which have been used as food throughout history so I'll be trying those.

I would still love suggestions for doctors. Even if I can find herbs that will help, having an inhaler on hand will likely still be good for those scary moments.
Very cautious on the lobelia. It is a very powerful herb often used to increase the functionality of other herbs but also having it's own independent effects. I would not reccomend using on a child, unless very experienced in it's use, as even small amounts will have you puking your guts out and from experience I can say, "dat ain't no fun"

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brlenox wrote: December 18th, 2017, 9:29 am
Meili wrote: December 17th, 2017, 11:31 am I share your opinion. I've tried many herbs and home remedies as I've sought answers to this and have found nothing that really helps. Using a humidifier at night has been good but it didn't help last night.

Very cautious on the lobelia. It is a very powerful herb often used to increase the functionality of other herbs but also having it's own independent effects. I would not reccomend using on a child, unless very experienced in it's use, as even small amounts will have you puking your guts out and from experience I can say, "dat ain't no fun"
Thanks for the warning. After reading about it online, I was feeling quite unsettled about giving it to my toddler. Sounds like it would be best to pass on that option.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

bethany wrote: December 18th, 2017, 9:15 am Ohana chiropractic in Orem. My friend takes her family to them.

My daughter had bad asthma which developed when she was 17. Went to the ER twice & had to pack inhalers. I fixed it when I found emotion code. Her breathing shutting down was an emotional issue. She has not carried an inhaler for years or had an episode since.

A lot of the chiropractors up north do awesome stuff. Dr. Joe at Ohana has a frequency machine that will scan & list things you are deficient in.... Minerals, etc.
It's definitely emotional. It's associated with separation from her parents, from her dad because he left and we haven't seen him since and from me because I have to work. I stayed home with her for two years and then had to go to work. The coughing began soon after that and I've noticed many others connections (in her life) to times when I've had to leave her with people. On Friday her daycare offered a parents night out so I went to a movie and picked her up late. The serious coughing began that night.

I've tried to release it but so far no luck. In my experience with similar experiences, I use herbs or drugs to manage the problem until the emotional (which is actually the spiritual in my opinion) is cleared up.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

He's a little pricey but there is this one too, several friends have gone to him & seen success....
http://www.drcoreysondrupdc.com

It does sound like it could be an abandonment issue. Sorry to hear she's suffering. My daughters' issues were scarey.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

You might even consider craniosacral therapy. I had great results with that on another child.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Meili wrote: December 18th, 2017, 12:57 pm
bethany wrote: December 18th, 2017, 9:15 am Ohana chiropractic in Orem. My friend takes her family to them.

It's definitely emotional. It's associated with separation from her parents, from her dad because he left and we haven't seen him since and from me because I have to work. I stayed home with her for two years and then had to go to work. The coughing began soon after that and I've noticed many others connections (in her life) to times when I've had to leave her with people. On Friday her daycare offered a parents night out so I went to a movie and picked her up late. The serious coughing began that night.

I've tried to release it but so far no luck. In my experience with similar experiences, I use herbs or drugs to manage the problem until the emotional (which is actually the spiritual in my opinion) is cleared up.
Energy healing. :) Can often clear things up, at least a lot, in one session.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

If they're a doctor and they're patently anti-vaccine, there's damned little chance they're competent or current. Vaccines aren't satan's way of increasing profits, they're science's way of helping people live longer. There are one hell of a lot of good LDS doctors who would have brought provable, reproducible evidence against the industry. I've been in education since the 90's, much of the time working with children who often have medical issues (partly because of my Native heritage and partly because of my Special Ed degree) and I've never met a practicing, current medical provider who refutes vaccines other than a few ridiculously out-of-tune wingnuts.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

JohnnyL wrote: December 19th, 2017, 6:21 am Energy healing. :) Can often clear things up, at least a lot, in one session.
When you leave there, swing through Colorado and pick up a bag of pot and stop by a liquor store and get a couple cases of Vodka. If you're going to screw your life up, might as well make it a full trifecta.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

skmo wrote: December 19th, 2017, 9:31 am If they're a doctor and they're patently anti-vaccine, there's damned little chance they're competent or current. Vaccines aren't satan's way of increasing profits, they're science's way of helping people live longer. There are one hell of a lot of good LDS doctors who would have brought provable, reproducible evidence against the industry. I've been in education since the 90's, much of the time working with children who often have medical issues (partly because of my Native heritage and partly because of my Special Ed degree) and I've never met a practicing, current medical provider who refutes vaccines other than a few ridiculously out-of-tune wingnuts.
There are plenty of competent physicians who do not support vaccinations, but more so, and more importantly, there are competent physicians who support their patient's right to choose how and when to vaccinate, and offer advice and support for such decisions. This is more common with NDs, who are more likely to advertise their positions/policies regarding vaccinations, but it also exists with MDs, who can be less likely to advertise such things due to employment concerns and pressures from various associations.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Crackers wrote: December 19th, 2017, 10:09 am There are plenty of competent physicians who do not support vaccinations,
Probably at least two in the states. If you travel to Bhutan or an Amazon Village, I'm sure you'd find more. Probably a nice gentleman with boxes of snakes and dried bat wings.
but more so, and more importantly, there are competent physicians who support their patient's right to choose how and when to vaccinate, and offer advice and support for such decisions.
That is vastly different than a doctor who is patently anti-vax. Most often when someone is a "doctor" who preaches vociferously against vaccines, they're often a doctor of philosophy (PhD) or a doctor of arts (DA) operating a "Holistic Clinic" (meaning there's an enormous hole to fill with knowledge and wisdom we're too lazy to fill) or if they're an MD it's from a school like the Tijuana doctor school, hair care, and tire center.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

You need to make friends with some homeschoolers. From the fb page:
Dr Petersen (Jonathan?) Of Utah valley pediatrics (Springville?)
Melissa Kendall - Utah valley pediatrics - Orem
Kristi Ice- Utah valley pediatrics - Provo, near the hospital
Others were recommended as well, but they either aren't taking new patients or are in Saratoga Springs or Lehi.
Good luck!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks, Yahtzee!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

JohnnyL wrote: December 19th, 2017, 6:21 am
Meili wrote: December 18th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Energy healing. :) Can often clear things up, at least a lot, in one session.
For me, everything is ultimately energy/spiritual but I find typical energy healing to be greatly lacking. It will take me sometimes months or years to release an issue but when I do, it is truly overcome.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

skmo wrote: December 19th, 2017, 9:33 am
JohnnyL wrote: December 19th, 2017, 6:21 am Energy healing. :) Can often clear things up, at least a lot, in one session.
When you leave there, swing through Colorado and pick up a bag of pot and stop by a liquor store and get a couple cases of Vodka. If you're going to screw your life up, might as well make it a full trifecta.
Hey skmo,
Merry Christmas to you, too.