Maca Root

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
On The Fringe
captain of 50

Maca Root

Post by On The Fringe »

My wife and I were recommended to take Maca root from a friend and found some at a decent price nearby at a store (we bought the Royal maca brand).

The health benefits of maca are wide and varied from what I can tell. Anyone here have experience using it?

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Re: Maca Root

Post by brlenox »

On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 8:49 pm My wife and I were recommended to take Maca root from a friend and found some at a decent price nearby at a store (we bought the Royal maca brand).

The health benefits of maca are wide and varied from what I can tell. Anyone here have experience using it?
I have grown maca twice here in Utah - did okay but I was not fond of the flavor of the tuber. It has many claims but I cannot say from experience that I can corroborate any of them. If you are trying to get pregnant it is supposed to be quite the magic substance.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

brlenox wrote: December 13th, 2017, 10:11 pm
On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 8:49 pm My wife and I were recommended to take Maca root from a friend and found some at a decent price nearby at a store (we bought the Royal maca brand).

I have grown maca twice here in Utah - did okay but I was not fond of the flavor of the tuber. It has many claims but I cannot say from experience that I can corroborate any of them. If you are trying to get pregnant it is supposed to be quite the magic substance.
It could be hocus pocus but from what I've read you need Maca root grown in Peru specifically to have all the health benefits. Supposedly Chinese Maca is everywhere according to some websites.

The flavor is funky. Goes good with peanut butter. So I'm guessing you didn't see much of a difference?

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 11:45 pm

It could be hocus pocus but from what I've read you need Maca root grown in Peru specifically to have all the health benefits. Supposedly Chinese Maca is everywhere according to some websites.

The flavor is funky. Goes good with peanut butter. So I'm guessing you didn't see much of a difference?
Never would have thought of peanutbutter...No difference but I did not give it the full college try either. It is said to be the crop grown under the most hostile conditions of any. And that the natives that grow it in the Andes never grow it in the same place as it sucks excessive nutrition from the soil at the altitudes it is grown at. I found a book years ago called :Lost crops of the Incas: Little-Known Plants of the Andes with Promise for Worldwide Cultivation" that listed many food plants of which I had previously been unaware of such as Oka, Yacon, Pepino and many others. I located sources for most and attempted to grow them here in Utah. Some were doable and some not but it was a fun experiment. However, I did not invest enough time in the experiment to test them as nutrition sources as at the time I was only looking for sources that I thought I could turn to in the event of food shortages.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I have a bottle of this and will try max dose for 15 days.

It says it’s Peruvian. Image

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

brlenox wrote: December 14th, 2017, 10:33 am
On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 11:45 pm
On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 8:49 pm
Never would have thought of peanutbutter...No difference but I did not give it the full college try either. It is said to be the crop grown under the most hostile conditions of any. And that the natives that grow it in the Andes never grow it in the same place as it sucks excessive nutrition from the soil at the altitudes it is grown at. I found a book years ago called :Lost crops of the Incas: Little-Known Plants of the Andes with Promise for Worldwide Cultivation" that listed many food plants of which I had previously been unaware of such as Oka, Yacon, Pepino and many others. I located sources for most and attempted to grow them here in Utah. Some were doable and some not but it was a fun experiment. However, I did not invest enough time in the experiment to test them as nutrition sources as at the time I was only looking for sources that I thought I could turn to in the event of food shortages.
Wow. I looked up the other stuff you tried! Good for you! And thanks for the information :)

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 14th, 2017, 4:19 pm Image

Was it laying around or did you find it somewhere out of curiosity? Either way I whole-heartedly thank you!

Post here when you are done and I'll share my thoughts on it! I don't want to influence your results at all by stating mine. Or I can remind you to post in a few weeks too!

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

Oh. I totally forgot to mention it. I put some in chocolate milk (powder) the other day and it covers the taste up pretty well. Do NOT put in fruit smoothies... Yuck. It's like putting an old banana covered with dirt into the fruit smoothie.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

On The Fringe wrote: December 15th, 2017, 1:42 am

Was it laying around or did you find it somewhere out of curiosity? Either way I whole-heartedly thank you!

Post here when you are done and I'll share my thoughts on it! I don't want to influence your results at all by stating mine. Or I can remind you to post in a few weeks too!
I ordered from Ebay as one of many supplements to try. Some give me horrible back pain and headaches, but drinking hydrogen water has greatly helped!

I was taking krill oil and tons of stuff trying to increase energy. Niagen is the only one that’s really done much. Next I’ll try Colloidal Gold. My doctor just prescribed fibrates for high collesteral that runs in the family. UltimateH2 generates from magnesium and I take whole food vitamin from Dr. Mercola.

Hydrogen4health has a great water bottle, if someone’s looking for a special gift.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 15th, 2017, 2:14 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: December 14th, 2017, 4:19 pm
I ordered from Ebay as one of many supplements to try. Some give me horrible back pain and headaches, but drinking hydrogen water has greatly helped!

I was taking krill oil and tons of stuff trying to increase energy. Niagen is the only one that’s really done much. Next I’ll try Colloidal Gold. My doctor just prescribed fibrates for high collesteral that runs in the family. UltimateH2 generates from magnesium and I take whole food vitamin from Dr. Mercola.

Hydrogen4health has a great water bottle, if someone’s looking for a spe
Maca root has helped us. I won't be specific but we do feel a difference. Hopefully it helps you somehow!

I'll have to look up the stuff you mentioned.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

brlenox wrote: December 14th, 2017, 10:33 am ... Never would have thought of peanutbutter...No difference but I did not give it the full college try either. It is said to be the crop grown under the most hostile conditions of any. And that the natives that grow it in the Andes never grow it in the same place as it sucks excessive nutrition from the soil at the altitudes it is grown at. I found a book years ago called :Lost crops of the Incas: Little-Known Plants of the Andes with Promise for Worldwide Cultivation" that listed many food plants of which I had previously been unaware of such as Oka, Yacon, Pepino and many others. I located sources for most and attempted to grow them here in Utah. Some were doable and some not but it was a fun experiment. However, I did not invest enough time in the experiment to test them as nutrition sources as at the time I was only looking for sources that I thought I could turn to in the event of food shortages.
Awesome experiment! Great book.

After living in other places, you discover America's fruits and vegetables are somewhat limited and dull... Maybe for a reason?

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 15th, 2017, 2:14 am

Hydrogen4health has a great water bottle, if someone’s looking for a special gift.
Find the Maca you took to be of any worth? I found mine to give a small burst of energy among other things. I may try a different brand in the future.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

On The Fringe wrote: January 30th, 2018, 12:17 am Find the Maca you took to be of any worth? I found mine to give a small burst of energy among other things. I may try a different brand in the future.
Seems to happen a lot with herbal products; they work great, once or twice, then stop. I also tried Black Maca, but didn’t do much. Many things gave me terrible back pain and headaches. Nitric Acid or whatever causes sore muscles is the suspected cause, and drinking Hydrogen Water has greatly reduced the unwelcome side effects of pharmaceuticals. Pine pollen too, was a one-hit wonder for me, but herbal effects are often different between users.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I put it in protein shakes/smoothies fairly regularly. I don't know if it's helping anything or not, but I hope it is.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 11:45 pmIt could be hocus pocus but from what I've read you need Maca root grown in Peru specifically to have all the health benefits. Supposedly Chinese Maca is everywhere according to some websites.

I've read the same thing in my research. All of the Maca Powder I've gotten originated in Peru.

I agree about the flavor. It kind of smells like butterscotch (most of the bags I've bought, anyway, but not all), but tastes not good at all. It hides well in smoothies/protein drinks, though. I put protein powder (unflavored, unsweetened), carob powder (unsweetened), maca powder, and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon - put those powders in almond milk and shake in a shaker cup.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

brlenox wrote: December 14th, 2017, 10:33 amthe natives that grow it in the Andes never grow it in the same place as it sucks excessive nutrition from the soil at the altitudes it is grown at.
That's interesting. I was under the impression that it could and does grow wild, in poor soil.