Hydration

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Hydration

Post by Rose Garden »

I have a problem I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on. We're told to drink lots of water. I personally haven't had great success in hydrating by drinking lots of water. I will actually feel dehydrated at the same time I feel like I've had more than enough water and can't possibly drink another sip. I feel like there is a better way to hydrate my body besides drinking plain water.

So far I'm not having much luck finding good information on the internet about this. I've wondered if electrolyte drinks are better at hydrating but can't find solid information I trust about it. Does anyone else have any information on the subject that would help?

Interestingly enough I had a friend a while back insist that we had to drink plain water because if we add anything, even lemon, our bodies digest the liquid rather than use it to hydrate. This actually got me to thinking that maybe the opposite is true. If we need to get our bodies to absorb the water, maybe we should be adding things to it.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Re: Hydration

Post by eddie »

Fruits such as watermelon are hydrating- I get tired of drinking just water. I also put a few drops of essential oil
( such as wild orange) in my water, nice taste.

commonwealth
captain of 100

Post by commonwealth »

Your body needs both water, macronutrients, and micronutrients. The best way to hydrate is with water. That IS hydration. There is a relationship between water and salt/sugar intake. Your body tries to maintain a stable level of all these things. If you drink less water, your body tries to hold onto it, and your pee becomes concentrated. If you take in more salt, you will initially swell as it takes in more water to compensate. Eventually the body will also get rid of the salt, bringing you back to some sense of normal. If you continually take in a high salt diet, your body will compensate by taking on more water. Same thing with sugar.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Also, if you have diabetes you might feel like you can not get enough to drink.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

commonwealth wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 1:35 pm Your body needs both water, macronutrients, and micronutrients. The best way to hydrate is with water. That IS hydration. There is a relationship between water and salt/sugar intake. Your body tries to maintain a stable level of all these things. If you drink less water, your body tries to hold onto it, and your pee becomes concentrated. If you take in more salt, you will initially swell as it takes in more water to compensate. Eventually the body will also get rid of the salt, bringing you back to some sense of normal. If you continually take in a high salt diet, your body will compensate by taking on more water. Same thing with sugar.
So to expand on this comment, if you take in a lot more water, you might need to add more salt to your diet. (And I love the pink Himalayan salt I get at Winco. It makes everything taste great and is not refined, providing additional minerals that you need.)

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Meili wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 12:53 pm I have a problem I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on. We're told to drink lots of water. I personally haven't had great success in hydrating by drinking lots of water. I will actually feel dehydrated at the same time I feel like I've had more than enough water and can't possibly drink another sip. I feel like there is a better way to hydrate my body besides drinking plain water.

So far I'm not having much luck finding good information on the internet about this. I've wondered if electrolyte drinks are better at hydrating but can't find solid information I trust about it. Does anyone else have any information on the subject that would help?

Interestingly enough I had a friend a while back insist that we had to drink plain water because if we add anything, even lemon, our bodies digest the liquid rather than use it to hydrate. This actually got me to thinking that maybe the opposite is true. If we need to get our bodies to absorb the water, maybe we should be adding things to it.
Me, too!

Hydration is related to, but not linearly related to, the amount of water you drink. Though my one cup a day isn't enough, lol.

Look up "gel water." Adding something like Himalayan pink salt helps the body absorb water. I used to get lots of water from milk (ha, not good), grapes, apples, etc. Chia seeds are great for creating gel water the body can use.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks, Johnny. I put that into Google and found this article: http://goop.com/wellness/health/structu ... ehydrated/
Gel water, also called structured, ordered, liquid crystalline, or living water, is a newly identified phase of water that’s not quite liquid, vapor, or ice. Gel water is identified by an extra hydrogen and oxygen atom, so the molecular structure is H302. It’s a highly conductive molecular structure, as the extra hydrogen atoms are constantly moving back and forth between molecules, generating electricity. In this phase, water crystals overlap and interlink like lace or crocheted netting, the way snowflakes do. But unlike snowflakes, which are stationary, gel water creates this structure while remaining in a fluid state. It is not temperature that defines gel water, so much as its shifting molecular structure.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Supplementation to correct NAD+ deficiency repairs vision damage in Mice

I first took Niagen five years ago, and the results where phenomenal! :)

For the first year I had more energy than I’d ever experienced. It also is great at hydrating skin, hair, and nails, by turning back the clock. I just ordered a variation made specifically to supplement at night.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Where do you find that stuff, BND?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Meili wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 8:18 pm Where do you find that stuff, BND?
http://livecellresearch.com/ owns the patent and all others are licensed. Best deal is to sign-up for the newsletter, and shoot for 30% off, with occasional 40% off. I've tried most of their other products and haven't found any worth buying again. I always order online, as they try to up-sell, but I just close the browser as soon as my order is placed. The standard dose is 250mg/day. I tried everything from 100mg ot 1,000mg/day. Weird that they now call it NR-1?

ImageImage

https://m.hpnultra.com/nad-dosing wrote: For example, some users have reported taking 125mg (or one capsule) once a day and felt the effects much more than if they took the recommended 250mg. This is completely ok. Everyone is different. Others report taking up to 500mg (or four capsules) every single day to maximize the affect. So, the most important question to ask is, "how much Niagen do I need to feel amazing?"
ChromaDex Partners with Asia’s Leading Health and Beauty Retailer, Watsons, for TRU NIAGEN™ Retail Launch There were some better deals on Ebay, but none would ship to my address.

The patent doesn't expire until 2024, so Chromadex controls the price, until then. :)

I take 250mg Niagen every morning, and just placed an order for Sirtuin to take at night.

There is a trace amount in milk, and Kefir may concentrate this effect. :?:

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

BeNotDeceived wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 9:08 pm
Meili wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 8:18 pm Where do you find that stuff, BND?
http://livecellresearch.com/ owns the patent and all others are licensed. Best deal is to sign-up for the newsletter, and shoot for 30% off, with occasional 40% off. I've tried most of their other products and haven't found any worth buying again. I always order online, as they try to up-sell, but I just close the browser as soon as my order is placed. The standard dose is 250mg/day. I tried everything from 100mg ot 1,000mg/day. Weird that they now call it NR-1?

ImageImage

https://m.hpnultra.com/nad-dosing wrote: For example, some users have reported taking 125mg (or one capsule) once a day and felt the effects much more than if they took the recommended 250mg. This is completely ok. Everyone is different. Others report taking up to 500mg (or four capsules) every single day to maximize the affect. So, the most important question to ask is, "how much Niagen do I need to feel amazing?"
ChromaDex Partners with Asia’s Leading Health and Beauty Retailer, Watsons, for TRU NIAGEN™ Retail Launch There were some better deals on Ebay, but none would ship to my address.

The patent doesn't expire until 2024, so Chromadex controls the price, until then. :)

I take 250mg Niagen every morning, and just placed an order for Sirtuin to take at night.

There is a trace amount in milk, and Kefir may concentrate this effect. :?:
The price isn't too terrible. I've seen much worse.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

Are you taking any magnesium? You need minerals and your body (used to) get that from water. Now everything is so filtered we're missing a lot of those minerals. Nearly everyone is low on magnesium.
I started using Anderson's drops so I get trace minerals too https://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/prod ... s-minerals
and it's helped (I have reverse osmosis system so mine really filtered). But if I don't take my usual mag supplement I'm a lot more thirsty anyway.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Very good point. I took magnesium for a while but haven't been lately.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Flavoring water is the easiest way to take it, for me. Just a little lemon or orange, or even apple cider vinegar. Or, sometimes I take 1/8 or 1/4 tsp of light salt (has potassium and salt in it), then chase it down with 12 oz of water (way easy to drink water then, lol).

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Meili wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 2:12 am Very good point. I took magnesium for a while but haven't been lately.
UltimateH2O creates hydrogen from a magnesium reaction.

It creates 5 parts per million, whereas a membrane water bottle from Hydrogen4health does 1.4 PPM.

One night I acidentily swallowed one of the pills and thought bad things were going to happen. Fortunately it was all good, and now my preference is to swallow the pills whole, because reacting them don’t taste so better.

Hydrogen water is tons better than the best antioxidants, and for me it prevent headaches and muscle pain that 7% have as side effects from other medications. It does this by better handling nitric acid build up, so also reduces sore muscles from working out.