Scientists Have Discovered a Drug That Fixes Cavities and Regrows Teeth

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Scientists Have Discovered a Drug That Fixes Cavities and Regrows Teeth

Post by BeNotDeceived »

https://futurism.com/scientists-have-discovered-this-drug-fixes-cavities-and-regrows-teeth/ wrote:
IN BRIEF

A new discovery about a drug developed for Alzheimer's patients might replace fillings for cavity repair. Tideglusib stimulates stem cells in the pulp of teeth, promoting new dentine production and natural tooth repair.

... Tideglusib works by stimulating stem cells in the pulp of teeth, the source of new dentine. Dentine is the mineralized substance beneath tooth enamel that gets eaten away by tooth decay.

Teeth can naturally regenerate dentine without assistance, but only under certain circumstances. The pulp must be exposed through infection (such as decay) or trauma to prompt the manufacture of dentine. But even then, the tooth can only regrow a very thin layer naturally—not enough to repair cavities caused by decay, which are generally deep. Tideglusib changes this outcome because it turns off the GSK-3 enzyme, which stops dentine from forming.

In the research, the team inserted small, biodegradable sponges made of collagen soaked in Tideglusib into cavities. The sponges triggered dentine growth and within six weeks, the damage was repaired. The collagen structure of the sponges melted away, leaving only the intact tooth. ...
More at link :arrow:

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Re: Scientists Have Discovered a Drug That Fixes Cavities and Regrows Teeth

Post by gradles21 »

You can naturally fix cavities without taking drugs by removing grains from your diet in addition to daily oil pulling with a high quality extra virgin coconut oil

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

gradles21 wrote: October 17th, 2017, 6:40 am You can naturally fix cavities without taking drugs by removing grains from your diet in addition to daily oil pulling with a high quality extra virgin coconut oil
I have to speak up. To remove grains from your diet is going against what the Lord says in D&C 89 (Word of Wisdom) This is my experience:

I have suffered for years from an IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease) A trusted Dr/Friend told me to go on the SCD/GAPS diet. (very similar to the Paleo) I really struggled with this because it required me to remove all grains and also to remove several healing herbs of which I knew to be VERY beneficial from my diet. Now how could this be right? This was going against the WofW, wherein it states: 89:10 "And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man— 16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground". BUT because I trusted this Dr/friend whom happens to be LDS, I went ahead with this "diet" cutting out all grains and some of my beloved herbs, plus many root vegetables as they were deemed "taboo". Fast forward several years and I was still not any better. My weight plummeted because I was always hungry. Vegetables didn't always fill me up, meat was what did it but that is very expensive to be eating meat, meat, meat 3 meals a day. (If everybody ate meat as it's advocated in these types of diets, there would not be enough animals to sustain the demand. Plant based diets are cheaper and can sustain the human need/diet as it was meant to.)

What some may say, "by coincidence" (which I don't believe in) I came across the "word of wisdom diet" which is basically PLANT BASED. With research and from my own experience I learned that meat can be very inflammatory; it's much harder for the gut to digest. This made sense to me. I had already given up dairy and eggs due to sensitivity, so I then gave up meat and gladly re-introduced many grains and root vegetables back into my diet. (Hooray!) Within a week I started to notice small differences in my gut health. It took me several weeks but now I am better than I have been in YEARS in my gut. (No more having to stay close to home...) The Lord knew what he was talking about when he said "89:18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; 20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint."

Now I'm not advocating everyone give up all meat. The WofW states to use it "sparingly". In my case because my gut was so inflamed, giving it up totally was best for me. I think giving up "white grains" (white rice and flour) or heavily processed grains is a must and that could contribute to dental problems. I also know that many are sensitive to some grains, i.e. wheat (gluten) and corn as I myself am. (Plus wheat is sprayed with cancer causing glysophate before harvesting) So be wise in your grain consumption and choices. I wish I knew back then what I know now. It would have saved me years of utter torment and misery.

Don't cut out grains. (Cut out sugar) I think this dental breakthrough is amazing awesome and I hope we see this "coming to a dentist's office near you" in the near future! :)

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Paleo diet was a natural cure for my Rheumatoid arthritis. I also lost some needed weight. Anytime I introduce ANY grain or processed sugar, and unfortunately potato’s into my diet it cripples me, and takes about three days to recover.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Kittycat-
Just citing the word of wisdom is not really a good argument on this topic. Now I'm not saying it wasn't inspired (because I believe it was) i'm just saying the the grains we eat today are not the same as they were back in Joseph's time. What was once healthy is now highly inflammatory and extremely toxic. There has been an incredible amount of research done on this topic in the last decade that will prove this. Research anything done by Dr Dom D'augostino and your mind will be blown.
I also think its necessary to point out that we are the fattest religion in the U.S. Even though we have the word of wisdom.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

D&C 49: And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;

19 For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

gradles21 wrote: October 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm Kittycat-
Just citing the word of wisdom is not really a good argument on this topic. Now I'm not saying it wasn't inspired (because I believe it was) i'm just saying the the grains we eat today are not the same as they were back in Joseph's time. What was once healthy is now highly inflammatory and extremely toxic. There has been an incredible amount of research done on this topic in the last decade that will prove this. Research anything done by Dr Dom D'augostino and your mind will be blown.
I also think its necessary to point out that we are the fattest religion in the U.S. Even though we have the word of wisdom.
I would argue that not all "fatness" is equally good or bad.
12 Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.

13 Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king’s meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.

14 So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days.

15 And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king’s meat.
Having said that, I think LDS fatness is usually related to the fact that we consume so much sugar (no alcohol to drown our sorrows in, but a bucket of ice cream will do the trick!)

This post is also not meant to imply that I think we should eat no meat. I take the Lord at his word. Our rule of thumb is "grains every meal (wheat more than other grains), beans everyday, fruit and veggies in season, meat only in winter and that sparingly." No cavities for any of us our last visit.

As an interesting side note: I had a son who was having trouble gaining weight. The Lord led me to the scripture in Daniel and it helped.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I think part of it is HOW the grain is prepared, and which grain it is. If you're eating oatmeal all the time (instead of wheat), especially hardened, it wears your teeth down well (ever seen a horse's teeth? ;) ). Then, consuming a whole lot of Roundup with that wheat can't be good. Potatoes are in the nightshade family and many people have problems with them. And, it's not just that grains have changed--WE have, too, I'd say mostly because of vaccines.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Too bad this drug can't stimulate any kind of stem cell to become teeth.
BeNotDeceived wrote: October 17th, 2017, 5:34 am
https://futurism.com/scientists-have-discovered-this-drug-fixes-cavities-and-regrows-teeth/ wrote:
IN BRIEF

A new discovery about a drug developed for Alzheimer's patients might replace fillings for cavity repair. Tideglusib stimulates stem cells in the pulp of teeth, promoting new dentine production and natural tooth repair.

... Tideglusib works by stimulating stem cells in the pulp of teeth, the source of new dentine. Dentine is the mineralized substance beneath tooth enamel that gets eaten away by tooth decay.

Teeth can naturally regenerate dentine without assistance, but only under certain circumstances. The pulp must be exposed through infection (such as decay) or trauma to prompt the manufacture of dentine. But even then, the tooth can only regrow a very thin layer naturally—not enough to repair cavities caused by decay, which are generally deep. Tideglusib changes this outcome because it turns off the GSK-3 enzyme, which stops dentine from forming.

In the research, the team inserted small, biodegradable sponges made of collagen soaked in Tideglusib into cavities. The sponges triggered dentine growth and within six weeks, the damage was repaired. The collagen structure of the sponges melted away, leaving only the intact tooth. ...
More at link :arrow:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I read a book called Wheat Belly. In it, the author goes through the history of wheat. What we eat is not what wheat was in Joseph Smith's time.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Silver Pie wrote: October 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm Too bad this drug can't stimulate any kind of stem cell to become teeth.
Not that I'd want teeth growing out of my fingertips or anything, but it would be cool to be able to regenerate/regrow teeth that are completely gone. Theoretically, cells have the potential to become any cell. Dolly the sheep is an example of growing a whole new being.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver Pie wrote: October 20th, 2017, 5:28 pm
Silver Pie wrote: October 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm Too bad this drug can't stimulate any kind of stem cell to become teeth.
Not that I'd want teeth growing out of my fingertips or anything, but it would be cool to be able to regenerate/regrow teeth that are completely gone. Theoretically, cells have the potential to become any cell. Dolly the sheep is an example of growing a whole new being.
They are getting there, doing tests on some things for that right now.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Silver Pie wrote: October 20th, 2017, 5:26 pm I read a book called Wheat Belly. In it, the author goes through the history of wheat. What we eat is not what wheat was in Joseph Smith's time.
I've heard this a lot (read the book, too) - and I agree that the wheat (among other things) we have today has been changed drastically. So my questions are - didn't the Lord know these changes would happen? Why give us the info in the Word of Wisdom if it just applied to those particular members back in the 1800's? Do any other parts of the WoW not apply to us in our day, or just the grain bit? Do you know what I mean? I ask these things sincerely, not snarkily. :)

I know some things in scripture truly did just apply to certain people at certain times in history - but the Doctrine & Covenants is scripture given to us in our day, so you'd think it would be the most applicable to us in our day. I'm just torn about such things because on the one hand, I agree that wheat/grains have been altered horribly by evil people/corporations - so how much of the WoW should we chuck out the window? The Lord doesn't give any qualifications on the grain parts in Section 89 - he says they are good for man, period. In fact, he prefaces it by saying in verse 4 - In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—" and then he continues on to tell us to eat grains, and specifically wheat (verse 17), with no additional warnings or limitations. So this whole thing bewilders me somewhat.

In the end, these are rhetorical questions, because of course, we all have to get our own revelations on scripture and how it applies to our specific lives, etc. but I would like to know how people reconcile these things (the Lord telling us one thing - eat wheat, while knowing full-well we, in 2017, would be unhealthy by following that very thing).

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

EmmaLee wrote: October 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm
Silver Pie wrote: October 20th, 2017, 5:26 pm I read a book called Wheat Belly. In it, the author goes through the history of wheat. What we eat is not what wheat was in Joseph Smith's time.
I've heard this a lot (read the book, too) - and I agree that the wheat (among other things) we have today has been changed drastically. So my questions are - didn't the Lord know these changes would happen? Why give us the info in the Word of Wisdom if it just applied to those particular members back in the 1800's? Do any other parts of the WoW not apply to us in our day, or just the grain bit? Do you know what I mean? I ask these things sincerely, not snarkily. :)

I know some things in scripture truly did just apply to certain people at certain times in history - but the Doctrine & Covenants is scripture given to us in our day, so you'd think it would be the most applicable to us in our day. I'm just torn about such things because on the one hand, I agree that wheat/grains have been altered horribly by evil people/corporations - so how much of the WoW should we chuck out the window? The Lord doesn't give any qualifications on the grain parts in Section 89 - he says they are good for man, period. In fact, he prefaces it by saying in verse 4 - In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—" and then he continues on to tell us to eat grains, and specifically wheat (verse 17), with no additional warnings or limitations. So this whole thing bewilders me somewhat.

In the end, these are rhetorical questions, because of course, we all have to get our own revelations on scripture and how it applies to our specific lives, etc. but I would like to know how people reconcile these things (the Lord telling us one thing - eat wheat, while knowing full-well we, in 2017, would be unhealthy by following that very thing).
Great questions and things that have tormented my mind for the past several years!!!! Dr.'s and health guru's that tell you no grains! And the word of Wisdom saying otherwise. Well first off I have to say not all grains are created equal. Grains are mentioned in one lump sum. I eat quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, and millet, all gluten free grains. I don't eat wheat because I can't tolerate it very well, and corn is too scary because it's mostly GMO unless you can find organic non-GMO products. PressingForward stated that eating grains makes his/her joints flair. YES I understand that because wheat does that to me to some extent. BUT, I had been doing the paleo "thing" for many years and then all of a sudden just in the past year I have had joint pain and inflammation hit me like a ton of bricks. SO the paleo thing did not do anything to stop it. Yet going to a plant based diet, my joints have settled down more. (except eating night-shades is a no, no :x )

gradles21 mentioned studies that show paleo diets stops inflammation. I would digress on that because according to the work of Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, and Junshi Chen, PhD they state otherwise. (In response to "Wheat Belly" read "The China Study") Their research shows that a plant based diet is much more healthy and anti- inflammatory. I have read dozens and dozens of stories of people with all sorts of health issues including joint pain/inflammation that were cured on a plant based diet. So who are we to believe and what research?

I totally agree also that the grains of today are not our ancestors grains. (I think this mostly applies to wheat) But I can state that neither are fruits and veggies due to genetic modification, and lack of nutrients because of crop rotation is not properly done. PLUS all of the pesticides and crap spayed on them that is toxic to our bodies. Also on the other hand what about the meat we eat? It is so full of antibiotics and hormones that it can wreck havoc on our health. So one might say well go all organic for meat and fruits and veggies....The average person cannot afford this. :( Others will say well I eat all organic or even "grass fed beef" etc. Well you might be told that but do you really know what the cow or chicken is fed? What it eats, you eat. Thus if the chickens are fed corn, you are eating GM corn as well. You get my quandary?

I think what it comes down to is trusting in the Lord's word in D&C 89, but also in doing our own research to know and make the best decisions for ourselves. I guess this is why we pray over our food!!! "bless this food to nourish and strengthen our bodies and do us the good that we need..."

(HA-HA for the OP being about fixing bad teeth, sorry for the fork crossing in the road to a different topic)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I've wondered about it, too. Surely God, being all-knowing, would know this would be part of the "conspiring men" portion. At the same time, some people read the WofW to mean that wheat/grains are only to be used during times of cold or famine. And that view actually makes sense because grain is naturally packaged in such a way as to last for a long time, so it would be good to keep people alive in the winter and during times of famine because it would not go bad. I'm just not sure I buy the reasoning, though I can see that the verses can be read that way.
EmmaLee wrote: October 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm So my questions are - didn't the Lord know these changes would happen? Why give us the info in the Word of Wisdom if it just applied to those particular members back in the 1800's? Do any other parts of the WoW not apply to us in our day, or just the grain bit? Do you know what I mean? I ask these things sincerely, not snarkily. :)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Another book that is chock full of studies and evidence from doctors dealing with overweight patients is Good Calories, Bad Calories. It doesn't focus on bread/grains like the other book, but it does include bread as a source of causing overweight.

Grains are supposed to be a factor in causing tooth decay (to sort of bring this back to topic) I just wish I knew the truth about it all.

Anyway, I'm doing a strict keto diet right now (for health reasons). I don't know if I'll ever go back to eating many grains, though I will probably eat more plants at some point, as I prefer plants over meat.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

JohnnyL wrote: October 20th, 2017, 11:05 pm
Silver Pie wrote: October 20th, 2017, 5:28 pm
They are getting there, doing tests on some things for that right now.
That would be so cool! I hope it works.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

This is just speculation but we know the early saints had to rely more on animals for food in the winter months. Part of me wonders if they continued relying on animals in the summer and fall months when they could've put more of an effort into their crops, but I have no evidence of this it's just a guess.
I also think the Lord knew that we can "govern ourselves" and don't need to be "commanded in all things." I think we need to learn what our food sources are and what we are putting into our bodies.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

kittycat51 wrote: October 21st, 2017, 2:05 pm

Great questions and things that have tormented my mind for the past several years!!!! Dr.'s and health guru's that tell you no grains! And the word of Wisdom saying otherwise. Well first off I have to say not all grains are created equal. Grains are mentioned in one lump sum. I eat quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, and millet, all gluten free grains. I don't eat wheat because I can't tolerate it very well, and corn is too scary because it's mostly GMO unless you can find organic non-GMO products. PressingForward stated that eating grains makes his/her joints flair. YES I understand that because wheat does that to me to some extent. BUT, I had been doing the paleo "thing" for many years and then all of a sudden just in the past year I have had joint pain and inflammation hit me like a ton of bricks. SO the paleo thing did not do anything to stop it. Yet going to a plant based diet, my joints have settled down more. (except eating night-shades is a no, no :x )

gradles21 mentioned studies that show paleo diets stops inflammation. I would digress on that because according to the work of Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, and Junshi Chen, PhD they state otherwise. (In response to "Wheat Belly" read "The China Study") Their research shows that a plant based diet is much more healthy and anti- inflammatory. I have read dozens and dozens of stories of people with all sorts of health issues including joint pain/inflammation that were cured on a plant based diet. So who are we to believe and what research?

I totally agree also that the grains of today are not our ancestors grains. (I think this mostly applies to wheat) But I can state that neither are fruits and veggies due to genetic modification, and lack of nutrients because of crop rotation is not properly done. PLUS all of the pesticides and crap spayed on them that is toxic to our bodies. Also on the other hand what about the meat we eat? It is so full of antibiotics and hormones that it can wreck havoc on our health. So one might say well go all organic for meat and fruits and veggies....The average person cannot afford this. :( Others will say well I eat all organic or even "grass fed beef" etc. Well you might be told that but do you really know what the cow or chicken is fed? What it eats, you eat. Thus if the chickens are fed corn, you are eating GM corn as well. You get my quandary?

I think what it comes down to is trusting in the Lord's word in D&C 89, but also in doing our own research to know and make the best decisions for ourselves. I guess this is why we pray over our food!!! "bless this food to nourish and strengthen our bodies and do us the good that we need..."

(HA-HA for the OP being about fixing bad teeth, sorry for the fork crossing in the road to a different topic)
I think you hit the nail on the head, you said this without actually saying it which is Do what works for you.
A guy that I follow named Dr Pompa recommends for a lot of people to follow the diets that our ancestors used which he calls "diet variation." Animals products in the winter, block fasting in the spring, crops in summer and fall and supposedly it works for a lot of people.
I will ask if all you're eating is fruits and veggies then where are you getting your calories? Women need an average of 1900 calories per day and your not going to get that from fruits and veggies alone, and that's why I love keto/paleo.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

gradles21 wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 7:01 pm This is just speculation but we know the early saints had to rely more on animals for food in the winter months. Part of me wonders if they continued relying on animals in the summer and fall months when they could've put more of an effort into their crops, but I have no evidence of this it's just a guess.
I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense.

I also think the Lord knew that we can "govern ourselves" and don't need to be "commanded in all things." I think we need to learn what our food sources are and what we are putting into our bodies.
True. He gave us brains to think with. The scripture, by its own definition was not a commandment. Perhaps it was more a place to stop and think about what we were putting into our bodies.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

JohnnyL wrote: October 20th, 2017, 11:05 pmThey are getting there, doing tests on some things for that right now.
I wonder how those tests are coming along now, several years later. 🤔

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver Pie wrote: June 16th, 2021, 4:22 pm
JohnnyL wrote: October 20th, 2017, 11:05 pmThey are getting there, doing tests on some things for that right now.
I wonder how those tests are coming along now, several years later. 🤔
Well, the ones I'm thinking of aren't yet several years later, maybe a year or two.

I hope it's not yet another wonderful technological/ scientific advancement that goes down the memory hole...

Prana
captain of 100

Post by Prana »

If the WOW was truly meant for our day, the faithful should be eating primarily wheat.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

[youtube][/youtube]
gradles21 wrote: October 17th, 2017, 6:40 am You can naturally fix cavities without taking drugs by removing grains from your diet in addition to daily oil pulling with a high quality extra virgin coconut oil
Oil pulling is awful, like putting shampoo in your mouth.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Prana wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 6:58 pm
If the WOW was truly meant for our day, the faithful should be eating primarily wheat.
Recently I got my first order of Flax Bread delivered. It has 0 net carbs and is the best wheat bread substitute I’ve come across. Have flax crops been adulterated like wheat has?